[Bands Spoilers] A Special Broadsheet Ad

Blaze1616

All right, this isn't some hardcore theory or anything, but more something that made me chuckle. Also, apologies if this has been said before, my quick searching didn't find anything of it, and I didn't want to dig deeper since I still haven't quite finished the book. Note: I did see the thread discussing it being Khriss, but it didn't mention the broadsheet ad.

So at the party in New Seran, the strange woman who approaches Wax and begins jabbering about the intricacies of the magic system really felt, to me, like Khriss or at the very least someone else related to her. Given her knowledge of conservation of momentum, and redshifting, I'm willing to bet it's Khriss.

But that very special ad in the broadsheet also points to Khriss. You know, the Do Your Metal Tools Speak To You? ad, with the hammer saying "Hello!" Here's the ad's text:

"Your neighbors probably don't want to hear about it, But WE do! Visit 27 Ralen Place. Ask for K or N. Bring the talking metal with you."

K or N? You can't hide that easily, Khriss and Nazh! Though I have to say, I was a little sad when the address wasn't 17 Ralen Place.

Though this begs the question of why they suspect some sentient metal is on Scadrial. Are they looking for Spren, Seons and Skaze, or Type IV Biochromatic Entities?

Edited by Blaze1616

They're probably former metalminds. If a feruchemist dies, and they leave any full ones behind, they're useless to other feruchemists. I imagine that the Terris culture encourages feruchemists to make an effort to empty their metalminds, if they know that they're dying, but I'm sure accidents happen. What do you do with perfectly good metal that can't be used for storage anymore? I imagine it finds its way into circulation to be used for other stuff.

Now, if you stuff anything full of Investiture, it should gain a measure of sentience, but the fullest of metalminds probably wouldn't ever start talking to you because its Cognitive Identity is that of a passive storage device. If, however, an Invested item spent some time as a tool, it would develop a different Identity. Yes, like Nightblood, but only to the extent that a calculator is like a supercomputer. It probably wouldn't really interact with anyone, but the slightly cracked types--the sort who were susceptible to Ruin's influence in the first trilogy--would probably hear stuff along the lines of, "I am a stick."

Why would Khriss and Nazh want these? Either they're trying to get the Investiture out again, or they want to study the precursor to what will be a Scadrian version of seons/skaze/spren.

Khriss is looking for rare Twinborn in Bands of Mourning wanting them to run experiments on your behalf.  Someone touching metal and feeling like they are being spoken to may be Ferrings or Twinborn of a specific type.  Connection and Soothing?  Something and Investiture? After all,  Nightblood who everyone but me seems to think of when reading an add about *tools* is a heavily Invested piece of metal. Can a Ferring unknowingly Invest a tool they are using as part of their job every day to a point where it starts going "Would you like to build something nice today?"

Edited by emailanimal

Khriss is looking for rare Twinborn in Bands of Mourning wanting them to run experiments on your behalf.  Someone touching metal and feeling like they are being spoken to may be Ferrings or Twinborn of a specific type.  Connection and Soothing?  Something and Investiture? After all,  Nightblood who everyone but me seems to think of when reading an add about *tools* is a heavily Invested piece of metal. Can a Ferring unknowingly Invest a tool they are using as part of their job every day to a point where it starts going "Would you like to build something nice today?"

As hilarious as that situation would be, you'd have to be using nicrosil tools to do it which would be...  Well, unlikely to say the least.  I suppose it's possible that someone playing an instrument made from nicrosil might accidentally do so though as some instruments can be made from nickel alloys.  Of course, I don't think you'd ever actually end up with something sentient, you'd just end up with...  Well, honestly I don't really understand what happens if you store investiture without anything else.  But I doubt you'd get sentient saxophones.

Edited by VoltCruelerz

You actually would, if you could get enough Investiture into a saxophone. Like Nightblood, it needs an intentional command to really be sentient. Of course, spren don't seem to have that, nor do seons or skaze.

I think that over time, the intent can develop. Just like a fire "knows" it is a fire because it has existed that way for so long. Something like a metalmind (which I don't think can ever pick up enough Investiture, anyway, unless compounding does something to enable additional storage space) lacks the intent because it is just a passive space that Investiture is put into, then drawn out of.

But if some Invested metal was fashioned into, say, a hammer and was used as such for a long time, it should start to pick up some degree of sentience. Now, I'm not talking about a smart hammer, here. It would be just "smart" enough to whisper the same inane "I am a hammer"-type stuff a regular hammer does in the Cognitive Realm, into the minds of particularly susceptible people.

It sounds very much like a spren/seon/skaze. Khriss would like to know about how a spren behaves in scadrial. It is pretty much logical to think seons/sprens shoul look like metal in scadrial. 

This possibility leads to an interesting result, strange spike with unknown metal can be a visiting spren/seon.

As hilarious as that situation would be, you'd have to be using nicrosil tools to do it which would be...  Well, unlikely to say the least.  I suppose it's possible that someone playing an instrument made from nicrosil might accidentally do so though as some instruments can be made from nickel alloys.  Of course, I don't think you'd ever actually end up with something sentient, you'd just end up with...  Well, honestly I don't really understand what happens if you store investiture without anything else.  But I doubt you'd get sentient saxophones.

All you really need is a bit of nicrosil in a handle, or some aluminum (if the effect is performed by storing Identity).

• Chaos locked this topic