[MISTBORN: SECRET HISTORY SPOILERS] Cognitive Coherence

TheOneKEA

SPOILERS for Mistborn: Secret History!!!!!

I find it very intriguing that the beings who built their fortress on the edge of Scadrial's cognitive bubble were so markedly concerned about an attack from the Shades on Threnody on their fortress, and that they had made preparations to either detect their presence or to actively repel them. Based on their actions in the Forests of Hell I would have never suspected that the Shades were coherent enough to stray any great distance from the cognitive bubble around Threnody, or that they would manage to stretch their Spiritual tethers far enough to reach Scadrial. Thoughts?

From what I understood, the Ire built their fortress at a place that meets many different planets.  If the Shades of Threnody are anything like Kelsier, then they could potentially get to the Ire, but they couldn't get much farther due to their connection to their own planet pulling them back.

So, what does that say about worldhoppers? That they've cut off all Connection with their own planet? Or is it harder for Scadrians because they were a shard-created people?

I don't think so. Your physical body can go places without breaking your Connection, Scadrian or otherwise. Cognitive shadows might have trouble straying too far from what they are connected to, but that's completely different.

To be clear it doesn't explicitly say they are looking for Shades. It refers to them as "cognitive shadows" from Threnody.

Personally I think it makes sense that they were refering to shades, but it doesn't outright say it.

Edit: Apparently there is a WOB that says Shades are cognitive shadows. So it is almost certain that they are referring to Shades.

Edited by Bernem

But how does a normal human soul transform into something super powerful instead of going Beyond?

IIRC hasn't an unknown shard visited Threnody but didn't stay?  If that is so I'd say that the shard put something in motion where shades create other shades with some form of investiture.  This would likely be why the shades are so strong in the physical realm,  they have a lot of extra umph.  My guess would be it was a plan of Odium,  that was thwarted or at least delayed when he was imprisoned.

IIRC hasn't an unknown shard visited Threnody but didn't stay?  If that is so I'd say that the shard put something in motion where shades create other shades with some form of investiture.  This would likely be why the shades are so strong in the physical realm,  they have a lot of extra umph.  My guess would be it was a plan of Odium,  that was thwarted or at least delayed when he was imprisoned.

Cognitive Realm Zombie Apocalypse!!!

One good way of curbing those annoying worldhoppers, unleash a plague in the Cognitive realm that self duplicates and spreads. Might be why FTL becomes so important later on.

• Chaos locked this topic