[Bands Spoiler] Identity of the One-Eye Spike Man

CaptainRyan

Spook.

The man we see at the end of BoM, the man who saved the Southern Scardians, is none other than Spook. The Lord Mistborn.

We know Spook lived longer than usual (Steris mentions how Spook's rule ended after 100 years when he voluntarily stepped down). We know Spook was very interested in hemalurgy. We know Spook was a powerful Mistborn who could, with a few Feruchemical hemalurgy spikes, end up compounding atium.

I respectfully submit as a theory that Spook is still alive and involved somehow.

Brought over from the other thread where you mentioned this:

Interesting thought, but does the timing work out? We know that Spook ruled in Elendel for a pretty long time, either A) until he was 100 or B) after 100 years of rule. I got the impression that the Sovereign went to Southern Scadrial give or take 30 years after HoA. Spook's movements during that time seem pretty firmly in Northern Scadrial.

Edited because apparently B ) makes a smiley. Darn

Edited by Vortaan

Brought over from the other thread where you mentioned this:

Interesting thought, but does the timing work out? We know that Spook ruled in Elendel for a pretty long time, either A) until he was 100 or B) after 100 years of rule. I got the impression that the Sovereign went to Southern Scadrial give or take 30 years after HoA. Spook's movements during that time seem pretty firmly in Northern Scadrial.

Edited because apparently B ) makes a smiley. Darn

I agree that he would have had to gone south at some point during his rule but I do not think that rules out [pun intended] that he simply did just go south at some point. He could have left for only a year (or two) and then returned. He was the Lord Mistborn; I bet he could do, basically, whatever he wanted haha.

I certainly do not discount the possibility that it was someone else but I find it plausible seeing as we know that Spook was alive at this time, was interested in hemalurgy and had the resources to undertake such a journey.

I agree that he would have had to gone south at some point during his rule but I do not think that rules out [pun intended] that he simply did just go south at some point. He could have left for only a year (or two) and then returned. He was the Lord Mistborn; I bet he could do, basically, whatever he wanted haha.

I certainly do not discount the possibility that it was someone else but I find it plausible seeing as we know that Spook was alive at this time, was interested in hemalurgy and had the resources to undertake such a journey.

... You think no historical record would have noted that the Lord Mistborn had a spike in his face instead of an eye? Unless you think he regrew it? I'm not sure you can do that with feruchemical healing, that might be more a Stormlight thing.

... You think no historical record would have noted that the Lord Mistborn had a spike in his face instead of an eye? Unless you think he regrew it? I'm not sure you can do that with feruchemical healing, that might be more a Stormlight thing.

That... is an excellent point. On the other hand, if Harmony remade Kelsier why would Kelsier have a spike in his eye?

Perhaps Spook only used the spike for his journey south? He might have removed the spike after and... done some pirate cosplay with an eye patch and it was never brought up in-book?

@Chaos I would LOVE to read it but Amazon is forcing me to wait until the 30th. :( How did you access it already? Please tell me!

Well, the obvious answer is that I beta read it. (I'm in the acknowledgements, as well as some other staff here.)

But alternative answer is, why wait for Amazon? You can get it on Google Play, Kobo, and iBooks. Of those I like Google Play a lot, personally. Amazon just apparently cannot get its crap together. "Hey guys let's spoil this thing's existence twice and then not get it up in a timely manner, because apparently posting a digital file is hard." Not impressed, Amazon.

Well, the obvious answer is that I beta read it. (I'm in the acknowledgements, as well as some other staff here.)

But alternative answer is, why wait for Amazon? You can get it on Google Play, Kobo, and iBooks. Of those I like Google Play a lot, personally. Amazon just apparently cannot get its crap together. "Hey guys let's spoil this thing's existence twice and then not get it up in a timely manner, because apparently posting a digital file is hard." Not impressed, Amazon.

Bless you. I am now the proud owner on Google Books and hopefully my boss does not walk by in the next little bit haha. 

Just finished both too, but if anyone from google asks I live in the US not AU. *Grumbles about geoblocking and international releases*

But yeah I don't think it's Spook, bit too much of a hint at the end for it to just be a huge red herring.

The real question is if any of those are compatible with a Kindle. I know Kobo is not, I strongly suspect iBooks is for apple devices only. Are Google Play ebooks able to be placed onto a Kindle?

If not I'm stuck waiting until Amazon gets their rust straight. Cause I do not want to read even a novella on my phone or desktop.

That arm... That arm. Lined with a network of scars layered atop one another, as if made by scraping the skin time and time again. The haunting word he’d spoken echoed in Wax’s mind.

“Survive.”

Looks like Kelsier to me. But maybe there had been some Cognitive shenanigans involving Spook's body obtaining Kelsier's scars and perhaps being possessed by Kelsier's cognitive shadow. Perhaps Hemalurgy can bind a cognitive shadow to a physical body.

Yeah, Kelsier seems pretty likely. I wonder how Hoid got ahold of one of Kelsier's memories, though. They don't seem to like each other much.

I pretty much assume that Hoid is a master pickpocket as well as illusionist and teleporter. Which is to say, he stole it. From whom, and why that memory is in a coppermind to begin with, I couldn't begin to speculate. Maybe it's a religious text of sorts?

Yeah. It seemed to focus on the scars pretty heavily. It kind of has been pushed on us through the Survivorist church that Kelsier was not truly dead and would come back if and when needed. I suppose that could have all been to distract us but it seemed to be him.

Also, whoever made the Bands of Morning was not only mistborn but also a feruchemist, no? Marasi tapped speed.

Another thing that confuses me: Allik says 330 years ago this happened. AoL is 341 years after HoA (BoM ~18 months later). That ten year gap though, is it exact? I think if it was Kelsier (Perhaps even if it were someone else) he would have been sent by Harmony to help people from outside the Basin and 10 years is a long time to wait for that unless it took that long for them to succumb to the changes to their world.

I don't think the memory was necessarily taken by Hoid directly from The Sovereign. He probably stored memories purposefully for people to see. There may even be more of those medallions with memories in them but Hoid chose that one specifically for Wax.

Marsh only has one eyespike, and went exploring the south. (Vin steals his eyespike in their fight before the end). I agree the scars are weird tho.

EDIT:

He got that spike back, though, as we saw at the end of AoL.

yeah I /forgot/ that ... though the potentially healing around his eye (when the spike was pulled) didn't get healed fully so maybe it took a while and thus was remembered for?

I don't think the memory was necessarily taken by Hoid directly from The Sovereign. He probably stored memories purposefully for people to see. There may even be more of those medallions with memories in them but Hoid chose that one specifically for Wax.

Wasn't there a quote from the information broker at the party in New Saren about one of the nobles having purchased similar coins at a black market auction that are no longer on display in his house? Seems to me that something happened to the other coppermind discs that noble purchased... maybe Hold happened to them?

I thought it was pretty apparent that it was Kelsier.

The scars on the arms, the fact that he tells them to "Survive."

And then there's the fact that WoB mentioned he "held on" to Preservation's power between Leras' death and Vin's Ascension... I mean, I wouldn't trust the guy to not muck around with such power, lol...

(And then yes, read the Secret History novella) 

I haven't read the novella, but it seems pretty obvious to me that the One-eyed man is Kelsier. The Lord Ruler stabbed him with a hemalurgic spear (one that went through TLR's heart and then into Kelsier's heart). So Kelsier had some hemalurgic transfer on the day he "died." It seems like he would have been an agent of Ruin from that point and Ruin could have had him spiked in the eye by Marsh or someone else, or maybe he did that on his own accord. The scars, stature, and confident way the figure is presented, not to mention he claims to be TLR/Soveriegn, and he has some knowledge of how to make magic tech, sounds like it can only be Kelsier, who held both magical powers after being spiked by TLR, and had an enormous amount of preservation transfer from TLR to him via the hemalurgic spike. Still doesn't account for the kandra "stealing" his bones, but hey, kandra have been known to lie.

I haven't read the novella, but it seems pretty obvious to me that the One-eyed man is Kelsier. The Lord Ruler stabbed him with a hemalurgic spear (one that went through TLR's heart and then into Kelsier's heart). So Kelsier had some hemalurgic transfer on the day he "died." It seems like he would have been an agent of Ruin from that point and Ruin could have had him spiked in the eye by Marsh or someone else, or maybe he did that on his own accord. The scars, stature, and confident way the figure is presented, not to mention he claims to be TLR/Soveriegn, and he has some knowledge of how to make magic tech, sounds like it can only be Kelsier, who held both magical powers after being spiked by TLR, and had an enormous amount of preservation transfer from TLR to him via the hemalurgic spike. Still doesn't account for the kandra "stealing" his bones, but hey, kandra have been known to lie.

Not to ruin anything but you should really read the novella. It might change some parts of your theory.