Worldhopping character from Scadrial? [Bands Spoilers]

Blightsong

Iyatil's mask seems to be very similar to whet the Southern Scadrian's wrest for it to be coincidence, especially considering what we know about how Cosmere aware the ghost bloods are. I would venture to guess that the thing in the SoS broadsheet was Iyatil.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Blightsong

Iyatil's mask seems to be very similar to whet the Southern Scadrian's wrest for it to be coincidence, especially considering what we know about how Cosmere aware the ghost bloods are. I would venture to guess that the thing in the SoS broadsheet was Iyatil.

What do you guys think?

More to the point, she's probably a Hunter. She -might- even be one of the survivors of the original expedition to the temple. If the Ghost Bloods helped her out of the execution that was planned for the survivors, it'd make sense that she comes back after establishing a new power base. the Bands are probably one of the most powerful items we've seen in the Cosmere... particularly on Roshar, where Investiture is all over the place.

More to the point, she's probably a Hunter. She -might- even be one of the survivors of the original expedition to the temple. If the Ghost Bloods helped her out of the execution that was planned for the survivors, it'd make sense that she comes back after establishing a new power base. the Bands are probably one of the most powerful items we've seen in the Cosmere... particularly on Roshar, where Investiture is all over the place.

I agree that Iyatil is likely a SoScadrian. I'm less sanguine about deciding that she must be the one described in the broadsheet. Possible, but not certain, I'd say.

However, it is almost certain that she isn't from the expedition to the temple. Alloy of Law is at about the same time as Stormlight, and there wouldn't have been enough time for Iyatil to join the Ghostbloods and become such a prominent member of their society. It is extremely likely that she must have left earlier.

What we need to remember about Iyatil is that while her people are probably the Hunters, she was raised on a different planet. Her mask is made of carapace rather than glass, so that too points to a life not lived on Scadrial.

Unless she made a new mask when she got to Roshar. Wood isn't as common there, but you can't swing a rock without hitting a bug/crab/lobster thing

There's a WoB somewhere that says that Iyatil is from a world other than Roshar, but her people originated on yet another world.

I conclude that the original world here is Scadrial, and Iyatil is descended from people that accidentally made their way offworld after the events of the first trilogy.

I agree that Iyatil is likely a SoScadrian. I'm less sanguine about deciding that she must be the one described in the broadsheet. Possible, but not certain, I'd say.

However, it is almost certain that she isn't from the expedition to the temple. Alloy of Law is at about the same time as Stormlight, and there wouldn't have been enough time for Iyatil to join the Ghostbloods and become such a prominent member of their society. It is extremely likely that she must have left earlier.

The original expedition - i.e. the Hunter expedition that was supposed to be an attempt to destroy the temple - was launched quite a while earlier. I don't think it's stated exactly how much earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least a decade has passed since.

Hi guys,

I've edited the topic title to be a little more vague. I did think the original title, referencing Stormlight, was acceptable, but it was kind of on the line for those that wanted to know less.

There's a WoB somewhere that says that Iyatil is from a world other than Roshar, but her people originated on yet another world.

I conclude that the original world here is Scadrial, and Iyatil is descended from people that accidentally made their way offworld after the events of the first trilogy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're on the right track, here. The question is, where's the second planet?

Shallan thinks her mask looks like carapace, right? The thing is, it could be a material that would be completely unfamiliar to a Rosharan, and the carapace that she sees every day is the closest fit. Or it really is carapace, and since it doesn't seem like Hunters change masks ever, the second planet must have creatures like those on Roshar that would yield the material...

I agree that Iyatil may well be be related to the Masked folk of South Scadrial, however, I do not believe her people are native to Scadrial.

Allik mentions that some of the other tribes seem to have their skin grafted to their masks and that their masks grow with them. Shallan makes a similar comment about Iyatil's mask in WoR.

This WoB makes me think that Iyatil's people migrated to Southern Scadrial from another world and the masks we're used to hide their non-human faces. Who knows maybe they inspired the mask culture of Southern Scadrial...

Relevant WoB:

Interview: Dec 6th, 2014Question (Paraphrased)
Is Mraize a worldhopper?
Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

Yes, he's been to a few planets, highly supervised by his babsk.

Question (Paraphrased)

So what planet is she [Iyatil] from?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, that's kind of a hard thing to say. She has three planets she's "from". For example, she's living now on Roshar, but then she's from a different planet, but that's not the planet that her people are from.

Question (Paraphrased)

So there was a mass exodus to that planet?

Brandon Sanderson

Not exactly. If you were to find a Japanese American, where would they say that they are from? Her people did not have a mass exodus.

Question (Paraphrased)

Have we seen mass exoduses before?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there are some in the cosmere. There's a mass exodus that is mentioned in one of the interludes in The Way of Kings.

Edited by Iron Eyes

This might also explain why she was the one who was sent to trail Shallan and why she got distracted by Shallan's Lightweaving. I always found it weird that a Cosmerically aware group like the Ghostbloods were tricked so well by a girl who barely knew what she was doing. If she is a Southern Scadrialan she might be Metalborn. Namely a Seeker, since we know with training (and innate strength/hemalurgy) you can pierce copperclouds as well as "hear" things like primal power of the Well. Shallan setting Pattern off to distract Iyatill may have worked better than she though if Iyatill was tracking through Bronze-pulse and decided to follow the source of Investiture. 

I don't believe the South actually had many metalborn. They practically worship metalborn.

For metalborn to be even as common as they are now in the Basin (not that common at all, but enough that finding one is not difficult) is still a lerasium-wrought anomaly.

I don't believe the South actually had many metalborn. They practically worship metalborn.

For metalborn to be even as common as they are now in the Basin (not that common at all, but enough that finding one is not difficult) is still a lerasium-wrought anomaly.

I'm guessing it's one of the reasons they wear the masks. Worshipping Metalborn might give said Metalborn overinflated egos. And I can only assume that they can kill for small slights, by Allik asking Wax to not shoot coins through his head. Can't wait to see more about the Southerners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic