Typos thread [Secret History Spoilers]

PeterAhlstrom

A technical issue rather than a typo: when I read in Google Play, the book freezes after page 97.  There doesn't appear to be pps 98-99: at page 97, I hae to manually type in page 100, and the text picks up from page 97 without a break.  Did anyone else have this issue?

A technical issue rather than a typo: when I read in Google Play, the book freezes after page 97. There doesn't appear to be pps 98-99: at page 97, I hae to manually type in page 100, and the text picks up from page 97 without a break. Did anyone else have this issue?

I didn't have that problem, but apparently it could happen if the book was downloaded incorrectly. According to this article, you may re-download the book and see if that fixes it.

Dedication Page:  There's no period at the end of the dedication.  This might be just a formatting thing though.

Thanks from all us fans for your hard work Peter!

I took the period off because I think most of them don't have one. But I wasn't scientific about this. Shadows of Self doesn't have one and Bands of Mourning does. Maybe I'll change my mind later...

And you're welcome!

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Location 1117 on the Kindle edition (on Kindle Cloudreader so i cant see page numbers). When Kelsier is talking about the stash behind the mantle left by Mare and himself, it says, "Those was gone now." It should read "Those were gone now." Unless I'm missing something painfully obvious.

Actually, I think it may have been meant to say "That was gone now." Implying the stash as a singular object instead of a grouping of object. So idk, one of the two haha.

Edited by Kaid

Location 1117 on the Kindle edition (on Kindle Cloudreader so i cant see page numbers). When Kelsier is talking about the stash behind the mantle left by Mare and himself, it says, "Those was gone now." It should read "Those were gone now." Unless I'm missing something painfully obvious.

Actually, I think it may have been meant to say "That was gone now." Implying the stash as a singular object instead of a grouping of object. So idk, one of the two haha.

I'm pretty it should be "those were gone now" since stash in the previous sentence is a verb and not a noun.  "...and had been forced to stash some of their possessions in a hole..." and because the next part of the sentence "...he'd pilfered them after..."

Edited by Blrry

I don't know if this is a typo, an oversight, or deliberate, but Kelsier uses almost the exact same words to describe something in a very short period of time.

Chapter 3, second page, near the top.  Page 66 of the ebook version.

Ash fell through the sky. Though he’d not been able to see it during his first days in this Realm, he’d learned to pick it out. It reflected like tiny curling bits of mist, almost invisible. Kelsier broke into a jog, and the ash streamed around him. Some passed through him, leaving him with the impression that he was ash. A burned-out husk, a corpse reduced to embers that drifted on the wind.

He passed far too much ash heaped up on the ground. It shouldn’t be falling so heavily here. The ashmounts were distant; from what he’d learned in his travels, ash only fell once or twice a month out here. Or at least that was how it had been before Ruin’s awakening. Some trees still lived here, shadowy, their souls manifested by tiny bits of curling mist that glowed like the souls of men

Also, Chapter 2, page 3 (page 51 of the ebook) it says

“Depends on your definition of dead,” Kelsier said, strolling over to the fire. The woman trailed him with that odd weapon of hers. “What in the blazes are you burning for that fire?” He looked up at the two of them. “What?”

I'm not sure if that turn of phrase is deliberate.  It makes it sound like Khriss is following behind him with her weapon, while in fact she is sitting on her stool.

Edited by RShara

I'm not sure if that turn of phrase is deliberate.  It makes it sound like Khriss is following behind him with her weapon, while in fact she is sitting on her stool.

I think its more like shes following his movements with her knife. 

Kindle location 462: "He's going to try jump for the Well" should be "He's going to try to jump for the Well" or maybe "try and jump" or "try jumping"

662: "seemed to be to be looking at God" should be "seemed to be looking at God"

1708: "Kelsier crossed the misty field outside Fadrex, then lingered out here alone" I'm not certain, but I think that might be meant to be "out there".

In chapter 2 of part 4:

"He'd retrieved the coin, but had found more than he intended. The pouch of coin, and beside it a journal of Mare's."

In this context the phrase 'pouch of coin' seems like it should be 'coins'. But that may not make sense, since only one coin is mentioned?

And in chapter 3 of part 4:

"There was a certain freedom to being able to move though walls."

"Coin" can also be used as a mass noun, meaning "money in the form of coins".

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. But with the sentence just before it, where it's singular, using the exact same word doesn't immediately convey plurality to me.

It might just be me, though. Not sure if I can call it a mistake or me being weirdly particular.

• 1 month later...

When he first gets to Fadrex, Kelsier is expressly walking through gates and running through walls. He should still have Nazh's knife, though it's plausible he could have decided to leave it somewhere so he could go through walls. However, he EXPRESSLY has the orb.

Now, maybe the orb is some magic device that can go through cognitive aspects. But that sounds unlikely. It wouldn't really break very much in the way of the story for him to just climb up and over walls instead of running through them. In my headcanon, I'm deciding he did that in Fadrex, so he could keep his knife and orb.

Edited by Oudeis

• 1 month later...

When he first gets to Fadrex, Kelsier is expressly walking through gates and running through walls. He should still have Nazh's knife, though it's plausible he could have decided to leave it somewhere so he could go through walls. However, he EXPRESSLY has the orb.

Now, maybe the orb is some magic device that can go through cognitive aspects. But that sounds unlikely. It wouldn't really break very much in the way of the story for him to just climb up and over walls instead of running through them. In my headcanon, I'm deciding he did that in Fadrex, so he could keep his knife and orb.

I thought about this for a while, but this isn't an error. Kelsier is still in Shadesmar, and all the stuff (like the walls) in the Physical Realm manifests as misty stuff where Kelsier is. So even if he's carrying the knife and the orb, he can walk right through it.