Secret History Reactions [Secret History Spoilers]

Chaos

Kelsier! You...you..you........I don't have the words to describe

The Ire seem to be from Sel (merciful domi, the symbols which are suspiciously like Aons, and the glowing walls, rather like the Dor) but who and how?

I personally suspect that they are the Hoed who got dumped into the shardpool, but they are very clearly Elantrians of some description.  

And thus Khriss first introduces herself before her own books even get published in any form. So close too.

She's a living character in White Sand right?

Decking Ati in the face was strangely satisfying.

I'm on with the Hoed thing. "Died but did not" sounds like the broken Shaod in a way. Frozen in a state where the physical body is basically dead but the connection of their soul to the physical realm is still intact, perhaps? Plus, dumping bodies into a shardpool is a stupid idea apparently.

Edited by natc

Did anyone find that Ati's reaction to dropping into the Cognitive Realm was similar to the people who were part of the koloss? Warped souls, controlled minds... Neither seemed to really know what's going on when they came through. 

Seems to me hed lost his mind to ruin before he and leras ever even created scadrial/life on scadrial. since he assumes hes somewhere else.

Well, this has lead me to believe that we probably got our first glimpse into the CR back in Warbreaker

(In Lightsong's Returning flashback.)

Also has be wondering what Drabs and LIfeless would look like from the Cognitive Realm. And just a big echo of what everyone else has said. All the feels; all the nerdgasms. Loved Leras. So many answers, but also so many more new questions.

So an Elantrian, Cognitive Shadow and a Vessel walk in to a bar....

Just amazing. I agree with what someone else early in the thread said this was pretty much fan service but I don't care I freaking loved it. I thought we got a pretty good glimpse in to the Cognitive realm in BoM but then Brandon gives a novela entirely set in the CR.

Kelsier still love him.

Hoid seemed kinda mean.

Khriss! So 16 people destroyed a God and took pieces of him. Cool story bro.

Wait why are there Elantrian's here? Oh and they are in some kind of conflict with Threnody? Better stock up on some silver.

Man Vinn and Elend dying again hit me right in the feels.

Well this kinda explains the 100 year Spook reign but is he actually gone?

Was great seeing the behind the scenes of what got me hooked on Brandon in the first place. Makes me super excited about all the Cosmere crossover possibilities. So many groups and motivations.

Oh and crazy completely false theory time. We will soon find out Adonalsium=Calamity. Sixteen epics will destroy it and create the Cosmere (Reckoners isn't Cosmere but could create it you know)

Edited by StormingTexan

I had so much fun reading this. I had always been curious about Ati and Leras, so it was a joy seeing more of them. Finally learning why Kelsier and Hoid disliked each other was great. Seeing Kelsier again was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing the trouble he causes in the future. A little while ago, in my signed Words of Radiance copy, I asked Brandon "Was the bad feeling Vin and Syl felt before meeting Hoid related?" The answer:

post-14018-0-82217100-1454873140_thumb.j

I had asked this before we knew that Kelsier was the reason Vin avoided Hoid, but I wonder what the connection is. 

I had so much fun reading this. I had always been curious about Ati and Leras, so it was a joy seeing more of them. Finally learning why Kelsier and Hoid disliked each other was great. Seeing Kelsier again was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing the trouble he causes in the future. A little while ago, in my signed Words of Radiance copy, I asked Brandon "Was the bad feeling Vin and Syl felt before meeting Hoid related?" The answer:

I had asked this before we knew that Kelsier was the reason Vin avoided Hoid, but I wonder what the connection is. 

That WoB leads me to believe that Syl was being warned off by someone (Stormfather?), much like Kel warned off Vin from talking to Hoid.  

That WoB leads me to believe that Syl was being warned off by someone (Stormfather?), much like Kel warned off Vin from talking to Hoid.  

This makes sense. Perhaps the Stormfather (if it was him) sensed that something wasn't quite right with Hoid, and scared her away from him. 

I feel like I'm the only person who was deeply disappointed by the whole Kelsier Behind The Scenes Reveal. Here was my reaction in a nutshell:

"You mean there was sub-story during Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages that it was NOT POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND given the text of the two novels?" 

Sure, it was nice to see some cosmere stuff, but it seems like Brandon just pulled an "Oh, by the way."

Deeply disappointed is my reaction. Also exhausted because I don't want to have to reread all of his other books in order to understand what's going on in the novella. I guess that's what this forum is for. 

Yes I think you are the only one  :D

I guess I look at it that this didn't take anything away from my original enjoyment of the trilogy simply added to it. In all of Brandon's books there is stuff going on behind the scenes (not just with the Cosmere) that takes a while to fully be revealed. I am sure there will be things not revealed until SA 10 that happened behind the scenes in WoK. Thats a 20+ year spread at best so I do not see how this is any different. 

That said I don't think this novella is for everyone. Certainly not for anyone that does not have an interest in the Cosmere back story. I read and re-read all the books and pick up little things every re-read so it does not bother me in the slightest. If you're a casual fan though I could see skipping this entirely. 

I have to say, I was deeply disappointed by rashek. after all the trouble he went through to save tthe world, I would have expected after his death he would have told kelsier about ruin and then enlisted his help to try fix things. instead, he basically went "I don't care about those buggers anymore". after seeing him half-redeemed in retrospect in hero of ages, I was expecting better from him.

Edited by king of nowhere

Well, he does admit in his cavern messages that he's pretty sure that they're totally screwed if the stall tactic fails . . .

As far as he cares Kelsier is also a pawn of Ruin, not very good company.

Edited by natc

Wow.

Ever since I read the original Mistborn trilogy, I've wanted to know this story. Sanderson has dropped vague little bread crumbs in interviews, like it wasn't Ruin speaking to Vin when she got the sense that she shouldn't meet with Hoid, and I've always thought, "Okay, what am I missing? Where is this information coming from? Is there a book I missed somewhere?"

The fact that this novella was kept so (relatively) hush hush and I all but stumbled upon it makes it that much better.

Holy crap. This is amazing.

A long look into the Cognative realm, an interaction with Khriss and Nazh, Elantrians trying to capture a shard and referencing the shades of Threnody, the scene where Hoid takes his Lerasium... and those are just the juicy parts OUTSIDE of Kelsier's interactions with Scadrial after his death. This was just an absolute treat. Such a fun read, and I'm running out of words to describe it. Incredible. 

One tidbit I thought was particularly interesting:

The souls of people used to create Koloss don't pass through the Cognitive Realm until the Koloss their souls created dies. I guess I kind of assumed that the person would pass through the CR when they they are killed to create the Koloss. But this makes sense, what with the Hemalurgic soul ripping and whatnot.

Oh yeah, and the Sovereign from Bands of Mourning... has to be Spook, right? Kelsier taught him immortality through Hemulurgy, he reigned for 100 years, then went down to check out the masked people of the south and taught them a bunch of tricks? So, is Spook still alive?

EDIT: Doh. I didn't read that last chapter very carefully, did I? Sovereign is probably Kelsier. 

Edited by vividox

Oh yeah, and the Sovereign from Bands of Mourning... has to be Spook, right? Kelsier taught him immortality through Hemulurgy, he reigned for 100 years, then went down to check out the masked people of the south and taught them a bunch of tricks? So, is Spook still alive?

EDIT: Doh. I didn't read that last chapter very carefully, did I? Sovereign is probably Kelsier. 

Kelsier is on my personal list of people likely to be the Sovereign, and that list is only one person long (it is my personal list, mind).

I was blown away by this book.  So satisfying on a number of levels.  I honestly had forgotten how much fun it was to follow Kelsier's exploits.  Maybe we'll get secret history part 2, because he is honestly way more interesting than any character in the alloy series (yes, even Wayne).  

@Bruhsam:  Don't let being alone get you down.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only sharder that thoroughly hated Shadows of Self.  Its cool to have a dissenting opinion, this place gets annoying when everyone is busy agreeing with each other.

What if Sovereign is both Spook and Kelsier in one body?

the sovereign arrived in the south a few years after the final ascension. spook ruled the northern continent for one century. with the level of powers displayed by the bands of mourning it wouldn't be completely impossible to make the north-south trip overnight with steel speed, but it would still be awfully impractical to do it on a regular base. i doubt it would have been feasible to rule the two places at once. Also, spook would have had a big spike in one eye, which the historians would have certainly mentioned.

I'm a noob to the forums here, so my reaction isn't nearly as deep or exhaustively analytical as many of the others here. Sorry bout that.

My main reaction was that I had an absolute blast reading Secret History. I knocked it out in one session (not that impressive) and just had so much fun with it. I'll probably have to go back a re-read it, but for the first time through I just sat back and enjoyed it. I don't mind at all that Kelsier was "brought back from the dead," because he's a cool character who's extremely resourceful and in a cosmere jam-packed with supernatural elements, I practically expected him to.

My other thought was that I'm SO HAPPY it finally explained Vin's reluctance to visit the informant. That has driven me nuts for years, and I was just reminded about it when I re-read the original trilogy a couple of months ago (now I'll have to re-read White Sands because I can't remember Khriss at all haha).

I loved learning so much about how everything works. I know there are a lot of theories and such out there, and various little tidbits dropped here and there over the years, but it was amazing to have so much of it in one place. Really opened my eyes to the depth and complexity of this thing B-Sand created.

I loved it. Good stuff. Fun to read. I'm interested to find out how old Kell ends up back in the Physical Realm. Other questions (which are pretty standard): Why the heck are the plants in the cognitive version of water? What was the endgame of the Elantrians? Is Hoid a good guy or a bad guy? WHO IS SPANKY???? (jk) Can't wait to find out!

I've not seen anyone mention this...

What is up with the knife Nazh gives Kel? It apparently looks like metal, but doesn't glow like all other metals Kel can see. 

Is it just something like ceramic or plastic? Maybe Invested/Awakened? Dead Shardblade? I want answers, darnit!