Bands of Mourning Full Book Reactions [Bands Spoilers]

Chaos

An absolutely excellent book.

I really really liked this book especially as it answered my objections from Shadows of Self.

I think this is the best we have seen from Brandon in terms of character growth. Steris was boring/irritating in Alloy of Law, interesting, but limited in Shadows of Self, and absolutely scintillating in Bands of Mourning. 

I love her honesty, how she deals with her issues and problems and doesn't let them bog her down, how she is relentlessly pragmatic and practical and how she quietly underestimates herself. I think Steris is my favourite Brandon character.

I also loved the way Wax responded to Steris, how he finally allowed himself to give in and be interested in the world she represented - that accounting scene on the train was lovely, and how he could eventually let himself love again. This is what I wanted and didn't get in Shadows of Self. I wanted Wax to respond to her in a way that acknowledged and respected her as a person and in this book that was exactly what I got. 

Marasi matured brilliantly as well. I loved the way she dealt with the situation after Wax had seemingly died. 

The hotel scene is probably the funniest Mistborn scene. Couldn't stop laughing.

Overall I find the situation quite dark. The Set have suffered a setback, but they have only been delayed. How the South reacts is yet to be seen. Harmony is hard pressed by Odium(?) I think.

My only objection? I don't want to wait so long to find out what happens next! :P

I agree with you completely! I mean, when I first finished Shadows I kept thinking to myself, "where in the world is this love story heading to?" I mean, I don't think anybody ever expected Steris to end up being the designated other half of Wax when Alloy of Law was first released. She was just so... er, robotic. And mean. I hated the way she seemed to put down Marasi (although admitably they had very limited interaction in the book). It didn't help that everything seemed to be pointing to a Marasi intervention, especially since there was some rather lonely pining and self-denial in the second book. I can't find the passage at the moment but there was even a point in the book where Wayne was asking Wax what he was doing being with Steris when her sister was right there in front of their faces.

So imagine my shock when Steris suddenly because this very likable character - and I agree with with the way most people say that the love (THE LOVE :wub: ) here, is like, so overflowing and so genuine, it banished all my thoughts that Brandon was heading for a rather forced portrayal of a relationship. Also, I'm relieved that Brandon finally managed to clear out the dynamics between the sisters - I'm glad that Marasi doesn't really bear ill will for Steris, and now that much of her character has come to light, I don't think anyone can.

But the point in the story where Steris started blowing me away was when she suddenly lapsed into those flame analogies of hers near the end (and let's not forget that part in the story where they were staying in the hotel and they nearly made Auntie Gin collapse with all their lovable shenanigans - especially with Steris screaming about her frickin' list).

And look at me going on and on about Steris! Even the info dump pales in comparison to how Steris has managed to make the Second Era Mistborn Series a love story for the ages! Now if it's okay with you people, I really have to stop now because I'm beginning to sound like the synopsis for one of Nicholas Sparks' novels.  <_<

I guess my only objection for Bands is that it is so Ex Deus Machinareffic. But nothing beats the love here! When is The Lost Metal coming out?!

Edited by Mr. Staccato

I would say mettalic sodium...

That was my first thought too when they mentioned that ettmetal explodes on contact with water. But doesn't metallic sodium also react with elements present in the air, albeit less violently?

Due to spoilers flying here I immediately called Kelsier being the Soveignor and I outright knew the Bands were the spearhead <_< I has some brief hope that one of the three spears TLR was pierced with before killing Kelsier was actually some superspike and TLR survived on his Bands and... and something...

Telsin twist sursprised me.

But I have to wonder: why do all these mythical figures leave behind artefacts imbued with their power. Seriously, Kelsier, why did you leave Survivor's Spear (I'm officialy announcing that name) behind?
How did Kelsier get all these powers? Since we know that TLR rewrited himself to be extremely powerful Allomancer I say Kelsier made himself Full Feruchemist when he holded Preservation and then resurrected himself. (I didn't read MSH)
More questions: what are these strange coins? Are they all Survivor's metalminds? All of them copperminds?
Kind of a journal? Then you collect them all and... something?

I was on Trell/Autonomy bandwagon, but now it doesn't make sense. Tyrannical force wiping out Scadrial. Unknown Shard? Odium got free?
(Dominion being Splintered is Splintered and unless somebody Ascended on Sel I say Dominion has nothing to do with it)

I wonder what does Allomantic Grenade do when charged with internal metal.

Edited by Oversleep

I think Kell hid them so the Southerners would look for it. Then he spread rumors about the BoM in the North so THEY could get in on it. Then settled back to watch the scramble for them... until he realized that no one was finding them, even with a couple of hints set out. So he heads off to do something else.

Incidentally, I suspect that the bands we see in the pictures do exist; they are metalminds keyed to Kelsier. I also suspect that simply holding Preservation for a short time made Rashek an allomancer. I think Kell is probably a more powerful one now as a side effect. No clue how he got Feruchemy. Tapped a piece of Harmonium?

• 4 weeks later...

That was damnation good.

I called a few of the twists, but it was still damnation enjoyable.  Not sure I completely understand the mechanics of the Bands (did they give Wax the power of allomancy and stuff permanently or just when he's holding them?).

Also appreciated hearing the Southern language.  Definitely got some North Germanic vibes, a nice contrast to the North Scadrian, which I'm assuming is some kind of langue d'oïl, given the naming of most places in The Final Empire.

(as a short aside, I don't know whether to pronounce "Kelsier" as [kɛlsie] or [kɛɫsiɛ:] now that I've realised that the Northern Scadrian language is French-derived)

Edited by AliasSheep

I called a few of the twists, but it was still damnation enjoyable.  Not sure I completely understand the mechanics of the Bands (did they give Wax the power of allomancy and stuff permanently or just when he's holding them?).

It's a Feruchemical metalmind, but for Allomancy. So no, not permanent (though there may be some side effects caused by holding this much power, we don't know). 

Well I typed kelsier into google translate with French as the input language and listened to the speech thing. It sounds like [kelsi:r]. Pretend that has the squiggly E you used (I can't get the paste function to work for me). The only French word I can think of with the same ending is dernier which you can also try and listen to.

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon should put a pronunciation guide in the back of each book. Or as an appendix in the upcoming Arcanum Unbound.

He's said that he likes the fact that people pronounce things in their own way, though, one of the fun things about having written words instead of a TV show/movie where the pronunciations are given to you.

jW

• 5 months later...
On 2/27/2016 at 7:00 AM, red032 said:

I would say mettalic sodium...

If it's radioactive, It's likely to be Francium or Radium. Francium is the least electronegative of all the elements. It has the downside of being poisonously radioactive however. Same with Radium.

Edited by The True Survivor

• 2 months later...

So.... I feel a little embarassed...

I *completely* missed the TLR/Kelsier thing with the Southerners until I read it here. Maybe it would have twigged to me if I'd read the OT more recently than the month they came out? And what, did Harmony just resurrect him afterwards?
Are we sure that this isn't just a Kandra running around with Kel's old bones?

Totally called Telsin being a mole, like, that one was obvious as obvious to me, though not that she was higher ranked.

Also.. holy hell a Mistborn/Feruchemist would end up nuttily powerful across the Cosmere if you can Compound the Investiture to make yourself stronger with that ability than you were before...

• 4 weeks later...

As much as plotwists go this one was very good... but for me it pales in comparison with the emotional trainwreck I was at the end of SoS.

Maybe it's because I was spoiled that Rashek was truly dead, so I deduced Sovereign = Kelsier almost immediately.

Suspected throughout (I knew it couldn't be Rashek.) Oddly, I realized Kelsier was coming back BEFORE I was certain of the Sovereign's identity. Marasi's graveyard monologue tipped me off to the former and Allik's description of the Sovereign confirmed the latter. Still shocked he came back in this series though! (I expected it to be in the 1980's one...)