Bands of Mourning Full Book Reactions [Bands Spoilers]

Chaos

Everyone seems to have a different theory on who Trell/The Red Haze belongs to. My question is why can't it just be Odium? I can't think of any other cosmeric entity which is more closely associated with Red and RED EYES in particular. Ruin was all about black, and some form of corrupted Kel/Ruin hybrid would probobly continue with the same color scheme. It also doesn't seem like that autonomy or some other shard would have exactly the same color and motif as odium. Additionally the set-Kandra (or whatever we are calling them) seemed to have a philosophy very similar to a corrupted Vorinism and seemed more Cosmere aware than even Harmony, making sel originating character/force less likely.

Stormlight spoilers

Everyone's thinking that Odium will be defeated as a result of the Stormlight Archive, which takes place just before these do.

At least, that's how I'm understanding it.

Edited by Blaze1616

Stormlight spoilers

Everyone's thinking that Odium will be defeated as a result of the Stormlight Archive, which takes place just before these do.

At least, that's how I'm understanding it.

I thought these took place after the first 5 stormlight books? That means that there are still 5 more to go and I'm not sure if Odium will be defeated half way through...

I thought these took place after the first 5 stormlight books? That means that there are still 5 more to go and I'm not sure if Odium will be defeated half way through...

I suppose that's possible. Perhaps Odium goes there in an attempt to gain Ruin for added strength, as that would be the only Shard that wouldn't necessarily alter his intent too drastically.

I suppose that's possible. Perhaps Odium goes there in an attempt to gain Ruin for added strength, as that would be the only Shard that wouldn't necessarily alter his intent too drastically.

Forgive me, but wouldn't Odium be most interested in gaining harmony which is as close to neutrality as you can get. Adding harmony to Odium would allow him to stay all evil (or whatever he is) like he wants but gain two shards worth of power since harmony's shardonic intents seem to cancel one another out.

• When Wax confronts Edwarn in the airship, his Bands-enhanced steel burn allows him to see everything, not just metal. He (or possibly Harmony, I am honestly not sure) then realizes that "they are all the same. Metal, minds, men, all the same substance." So what is he seeing? Probably not trace amounts of metal in everything, that doesn't explain his revelation. Realmatic aspect(s)? He does report seeing the lines flicker sometimes, allowing him to see "the radiance inside of each person and thing" - this sounds like maybe Spiritual aspect? If this is even remotely close to being correct, I may need to write up a theory about how Allomantic steel/iron works... 

I took that as Wax being so filled of Investiture that he saw the preservation that was in all things (people, rocks, plants, animals, etc. )

InvestedBeard, you ended up just making a spoiler lol. Since I never got the hang of it, i just click the little button on the upper left of the text box that looks like a picture. Angsos if you hold your mouse over it, it will say "Special BB Code". Click on it, then select the code for spoiler. Type in there what you want in the spoiler box, then click ok. Then your done. 

Finished the book up last night and loved it, lots of new bombshells and some potentially important bits to the entire cosmere as well as the new insights on realmatic theory.

• I agree that Steris is certainly getting awesome and Brandon really outdid himself on her character arc! I'm good with her and Wax now and I'm a fan of Marasi making her own way forward.
  • Wayne keeps getting better too and I love him and MeLaan having a thing, I hope they do become worldhoppers together.
  • It was great to see Khriss & Nazh!
  • I suspected Telsin's true allegiance from shortly before they infiltrated the base and 'saved' her. Just seemed way too obvious that should would never have had a chance to get away before.

While nothing approaching a real theory I do have a couple of thoughts and ideas:

Kel

My money, is of course, on Kel being back, Brandon has certainly hinted at it a bunch of times but I can think of one other person it might be who hasn't been mentioned yet. I know that we're aware that he was directly involved in the founding of Elendel but he could of done that before or after heading South; if after, he might even have a better claim to being a king then Kel does.

Either way, I don't really want Kel to be back, he was a great Cosmere character, in fact as Mistborn was my introduction to the Cosmere he was a favorite for a while but he did what he did and it feels cheapening for him to have exploited yet another loophole. Marsh is way more interesting at this point anyway.

Parshendi?

I also immediately thought of the Parshendi. If it actually was (some form of) Parshendi I wonder if that could be an indication that Odium is actually involved in Scadrial after all but it also seems plausible that they could be worldhopping, after all, we don't know what's happened to their culture by the time Bands of Mourning takes place. Most likely it's just Brandon messing with us.

That said, I am kind of enamored with the idea that Parshendi, like humans might not be localized to a single planet and that they might even have existed before the shattering. That just sounds extremely cool.

Red Haze & Trell

One last random thought, I wonder if the red haze Sazed is distracted with/apposing isn't caused by another shard at all, maybe it's our first glimpse at the mysterious other power in the Cosmere that opposes Adonalsium. If so, could Trell also be part of the opposing force? I'm betting no, I don't think Brandon's ready to play that card yet but it would be an intriguing twist.

Note: I haven't read Secret History yet so pardon me if any of these ideas have already been invalidated.

Edited by chrisWhite

It's been a theory for a while that Kelsier would come back though Hemalurgy. My suspicion is that he stuck himself in a spike that got put into someone, and his spirit twisted the recipient's body into being like his old one.

Do you think maybe feruchemy's healing works like Stormlight, restoring you to the whole version of yourself that exists in your perception, or however that should be worded? If so, maybe Kelsier just "healed" his new body into being shaped like his old one was.

Or, maybe he just got the bones back from TenSoon and stuck a spike in his eye socket... and then re-grew his whole body around the skeleton...? That seems a little far-fetched, but then, I was 100% convinced he was gonna stay dead, so what do I know.

If that were true, and Odium=Rust, it would give a whole new meaning to rust and ruin.

Ok, so I'm just gonna post this before reading any of the posts here in order to get my unaltered reaction.

Wow. That book was awesome!

So what's going on with Hoid? He used to be Wax's coachman, right? Why didn't Wax recognize him outside that party? And why did Hoid give Wax that weird coppermind coin of Kelsier? Since we know from WOB that Kelsier is still mucking around, is it possible that they're working together?

And Connection stores Connection to a place... I guess that means you can't tap a bunch of it to make people like you or something like that..

And it seems that Connection is probably how Hoid and other worldhoppers can speak other languages. Funny that it still brings the accent along. I guess people will be rereading books with that in mind. Actually, Hoid never seems to have an accent as far as I can remember, so maybe he's doing something else.

So why is it hard to create a medallion with more than 2 powers? How did they do it in the first place? Hemalurgy? Is that why it's so difficult? Too many spikes?

And as the preview chapters hinted at, yes it is possible to crate metalminds with no identity, giving others access to new powers. Cool.

I'm glad Wax and Steris fell for each other. It was foreshadowed in SoS nicely.

I knew Telsin would be working for the Set! I saw that coming.

And wow, Wayne's reaction to Wax's death...!

Speaking of which. Wow.

And the Set has a weird fondness for mathematical terms. Odd.

So what's with that lady at the party? The Ars Arcanum writer or someone working for the writer, I assume.

And then there's the informant at the same party. He seems a little too aware of some things that are going on....

And what are those guys with red eyes who apparently want to destroy the planet now that the Scadrians discovered...things? Flight? The Bands?

And the ending! Kelsier is the one who helped the Southerners, not TLR! Wow, did not see that one coming! Gives me the chills! But how...? I knew he was still mucking around, but he has his body back and is spiked in one eye? And Feruchemy? From the timeline in the book it sounds like he went down there after Harmony's Ascension...

Can't wait to have enough time to read through everyone else's comments here but WOW! Brandon dropped some serious knowledge on us in this book. In a way I feel it was almost too much. I felt a little distracted reading as my mind started racing as soon as each tidbit was revealed. I will for sure need to re-read soon to just enjoy the story like I did with SoS.

The Southerners were completely opposite from what I imagined but that's good considering I saw the Kelsier thing a mile away.

Now the excruciating wait until the last book! This one has me completely stoked for the Mistborn series in general though which always held a special place for me being the first thing of Brandon's I read.

Oh and wow Brandon hooked us up with the Secret History so we can see how all this happened. I just started it which is a must read now.

Edited by StormingTexan

So what's going on with Hoid? He used to be Wax's coachman, right? Why didn't Wax recognize him outside that party? And why did Hoid give Wax that weird coppermind coin of Kelsier? Since we know from WOB that Kelsier is still mucking around, is it possible that they're working together?

That seems unlikely given that Hoid and Kelsier really don't get along.

It's entirely possible that Odium has created a chasm somewhere on Scadrial but even if there isn't Odium could be executing a proxy war and hasn't physically (spiritually?) shown up on Scadrial yet and acted directly.

Well, there were the Pits. And it's possible that Odium was there a while ago and when Sazed reformed the world he closed, moved, or changed it.

I'd like to see the WoB on that though (not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to see his phrasing and the specific question or reason he said that)

And who is the Haunted Man? The name keeps popping up, but I don't remember anything like that from the book.

He was, I believe, the one from the broadsheets main story that we were shown.

Edited by Stroniax