Odium and Adonalsium's Opposition (New Info)

Chaos

I would guess that the original sixteen shardholders were the ones that shattered adolnasium and chose which shards they would each take. They probably planned the shattering of adolnasium, agreed who would take up each shard, and then did it. I doubt they anticipated the warping effect of each shard's intent, though.

But aside from that... If odium had a weapon capable of shattering adolnasium itself, it would have killed all the other shards by now. Apparently rayse knows of this weapon... But it is probably beyond his reach. He might not know where it is. Or perhaps it is incompatible since it is an anti-adolnasium power and he is formed from adolnasium's power.

Most likely, the weapon is not something simple as we think it is. I kind of doubt that it is humanity, but I would not be surprised if it were something like that.

It is an interesting role humanity plays in the affairs of shards, though. With the balance of power on a cosmic scale, sometimes the only individuals who can matter are regular humans. Or kandra. Or parshmen.

I am sorry this has been a bit too long incoming, but I asked a very interesting question in my Elantris leatherbound.

The question was: "Is Odium aware of the weapon created by Adonalsium's opposition?"

(You remember that Adonalsium's opposition made a weapon, right? Kay, cool.)

The answer:

attachicon.gifelantris answer.jpg

(Yes.)

Yeah that's terrifying Brandon. Thanks a bunch...

Maybe that's how he can Splinter Shards so easily.

I would guess that the original sixteen shardholders were the ones that shattered adolnasium and chose which shards they would each take. They probably planned the shattering of adolnasium, agreed who would take up each shard, and then did it. I doubt they anticipated the warping effect of each shard's intent, though.

But aside from that... If odium had a weapon capable of shattering adolnasium itself, it would have killed all the other shards by now. Apparently rayse knows of this weapon... But it is probably beyond his reach. He might not know where it is. Or perhaps it is incompatible since it is an anti-adolnasium power and he is formed from adolnasium's power.

Most likely, the weapon is not something simple as we think it is. I kind of doubt that it is humanity, but I would not be surprised if it were something like that.

It is an interesting role humanity plays in the affairs of shards, though. With the balance of power on a cosmic scale, sometimes the only individuals who can matter are regular humans. Or kandra. Or parshmen.

I don't think that's the case, because I remember somewhere, I think it might have been the letter to frost or whatever (it's been a while, sorry) that it said Ati was a nice man originally, and you see what the shard did to him (or something along those lines). So at least one of the shardholders was a good person. You could easily still be correct, but I don't think that's the case. Of course, the source does go on to say that Rayse started out mean, so perhaps it was a conspiracy but only some of the shardholders were in on it?

As long as reassembling the Weapon doesn't turn into a multi-book fetch quest, I'll probably enjoy how this turns out.

Just shotgunning ideas out, but maybe the fetch quest already started. There is someone that has appeared in every world, has mysterious goals and powers, would likely have knowledge of such a weapon, and the time to search for pieces of the weapon. Let's face it, someone had to put a Hoid theory in here. It was either that or say he was the weapon, and while I don't buy either it's worth considering. 

So has anyone considered pairing this with the fact that we know Adonalsium was killed? Could the weapon that killed Adonalsium be an ordinary weapon? If Adonalsium was a vessel (i.e. human) just like those we see attached to other shards, would it have been possible to kill the man and then use a separate process to fracture his power into 16 shards?

Also, can anyone direct me to the WoB (or whatever the source is) for the existence of Adonalsium's Opposition?

Being aware of the weapon should not mean Odium will want to use it against other shard.

What if Odium is not the bad guy we were let to believe. May be he is the guy who is broken enough to think he can resist anti-adonalsium and somehow the only way to resist is splintering other shard. May be , just may be by splintering he releases the shard power and make it ready to reassembling, may be he plans to splinter himself at the end and reform Adonalsium to resist that force and its weapon.

The intent of a shard shapes its host, so even if Odium were not inherently bad, he would have been warped by the powers he has by now. Also, Odium is specifically destroying shards, rather than increasing his powers by assimilating them, as his shard supposedly matched his original personality and he didn't want his hate to be tainted, so I'm somewhat doubting he was ever a good guy

Edited by Bugsy6912

Well also, why is it taken for granted that Adonalsium was the 'good guy' in all of this? We know that essentially it was the power of Creation, but that says nothing about his/its intentions at the time it was shattered. So far there's nothing I can think of to suggest whatever or whomever was opposing it didn't have a good reason.

I mean, what if for instance Adonalsium was what created Yolen and it's original inhabitants, and for some reason it had decided it's creation had gone wrong and wanted to wipe the slate clean and start over? And the sixteen original Vessels all banded together to stop it, some of them 'good' like Ati, some of them 'bad', like Rayse, but all of them equally invested in self-preservation?

Just saying, I think a lot of the theorizing about Adonalsium and its opposition is based off the assumption that its opposition was innately nefarious or had/has nefarious intentions, and that might be a mistake. 

Aaaaand I realized I can't talk SE directly even with tags. So with that in mind:

Secret History spoilers (kind of, idk)

SE implies at one point, rather strongly, that the 16 would probably all know whatever it was that killed Adonalsium by virtue of how they came together.

It also suggests that Adonalsium had at least a few people who thought humanity would be better off without him, but honestly we could have guessed that on our own.

Should this be moved to the SE boards? SE doesn't exactly bring in too much new information, but it might help.

Edited by Observer

• Chaos locked this topic