Hoid

Lilamal

I want to know anything, anything at all about that man's back story. All I have managed to find out is that where he came from is supposed to be revealed in Dragonsteel, that he was there at the Shattering of Adonalsium, and he was originally human but changed enough that when asked, Brandon just said: "it's complicated." Also, in Warbreaker, he said that he had learned at least one way of storytelling from a man who was insane.

Yeah, but I couldn't figure out how to. I have read the first three Mistborn books, WoK, WoR, and Warbreaker. I'm halfway through The Alloy of Law.

Edit: I have read Elantris too now

Edited by Lilamal

All right. For future reference, posting something like this in Cosmere Theories is okay. Even though the forum title says "Theories," it's the place to discuss all of Brandon's works without worrying about whether you should use spoilers or not.

Spoilers for all things Cosmere EXCEPT Elantris:

In that case, Hoid is still mostly a mystery. We know Hoid's visited all the major Shardworlds so far. While on Scadrial he's met with Kelsier, visited the homeland of the Terris, gone to the Well, and attended a wedding (Alloy, if you're halfway you've passed this part). While on Nalthis he was a storyteller, and got his hands on a fair number of Breath. While on Roshar he's served as the King's Wit, has played a role in Shallan's brother's affairs, and has influenced both Shallan and Kaladin in significant ways.

Hoid's goals are also a major mystery. He seems to be opposing Odium, however he's also hinted that his ultimate goals are much larger than Roshar's current problems. He's also being hunted by the Seventeenth Shard, for reasons currently unknown, and has put significant effort towards gaining access to all the different magic systems (and has mostly succeeded with two exceptions shown thus far).

Well if you want a bit more Hoid, I suggest reading Elantris 10th Anniversary Edition and Emperor's Soul, followed by the Emperor's Soul Alternate Prologue on Brandon's website. It won't really give you any new knowledge, but it'll get you fully up to date.

You can also dig up some sample chapters of an unfinished story called "Liar of Partinel" on Brandon's website. I believe that it's going to be book one of DragonSteel.  It's a little rough but it will give you a little more information on the most interesting man in the cosmere.

Actually I'm pretty sure that the Liar of Partinel is going to be a prequal to Dragonsteel as the Hobbit was to Lord of the Rings. Not really affecting the actual story line, just providing some background knowledge about how it all began.

Edited by Lilamal

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic