Bands of Mourning Chapter 6

Havoc

Stormlight spoilers:

So it looks like we have Voidbringers on Scadrial.

The creature ReLuur describes is clearly the same one pictured in the broadsheet in the previous book. With the new information we have, I can only suspect this is a Listener form we haven't seen before.

Possibly a Listener with some Hemalurgic spikes? I don't think a 'Normal' Parshendi Voidform would be able to access investiture outside of Roshar. Could using spikes create a new 'Hemalurgic Form'?

Stormlight spoilers:

Considering we have no idea what happened in book 3, 4, and 5 yet of stormlight, A LOT could have changed for a parshendi to pop up on Scadrial and be able to access the investiture to change without spikes. Not saying your wrong, but I feel like there are ton more questions than answers here.

Dang. Wax is adorable in this chapter. OK boy, I forgive you for what you said in the last preview chapter.

8 days.

I hope Marasi instinctively threw a cadmium bubble around herself.

That's looking like a pretty helpful power right now.

Dang. Wax is adorable in this chapter. OK boy, I forgive you for what you said in the last preview chapter.

8 days.

I hope Marasi instinctively threw a cadmium bubble around herself.

That's looking like a pretty helpful power right now.

Incoming bullets aren't affected by time bubbles.   It's the outgoing ones that ricochet.  In fact, a cadmium bubble here would be a liability, as the bullet would speed up drastically, leaving Marasi with even less time to react.  Unless she wanted to trap the bullet in with her (her bubbles are much larger than Wayne's, IIRC), in which case the bubble would give other people the chance to properly apprehend the gunman once the bullet hits whatever it hits.  

THink we will be left with this as a cliffhanger, or do you think we will get chapter 7 a day before book release?

This'll be the cliffhanger.  It's perfect for the purpose.  Besides, the promise of an action scene to follow will be an excellent hook for people to go buy it.  (Also I know Kurkistan will be salivating at the chance to see what exactly happens to a time bubble on a moving object)

Edited by Landis963

Is Steris already more open with Wax than she is with Marasi. Dang. I never would have expected to say this when I was reading AoL, but I love the Wax/Steris relationship so much.

Also, digging the 'lost metal' reference. I wonder what the 'labyrinth' part is referring to; I guess there is some in-world mythology centered around one of the god metals. Atium seems like the most obvious choice, since it is the only one that was widely known about (unless the story of Elend using the Lerasium is publicly known in Era 2). The Pits of Hathsin were described as being very maze-like, maybe they are the labyrinth that Marasi mentions, with the Atium they contain being the lost metal.

Incoming bullets aren't affected by time bubbles.   It's the outgoing ones that ricochet.  In fact, a cadmium bubble here would be a liability, as the bullet would speed up drastically, leaving Marasi with even less time to react.  Unless she wanted to trap the bullet in with her (her bubbles are much larger than Wayne's, IIRC), in which case the bubble would give other people the chance to properly apprehend the gunman once the bullet hits whatever it hits.  

This'll be the cliffhanger.  It's perfect for the purpose.  Besides, the promise of an action scene to follow will be an excellent hook for people to go buy it.  (Also I know Kurkistan will be salivating at the chance to see what exactly happens to a time bubble on a moving object)

Bullets are affected both ways, going into and out of time bubbles. The only time this has come up otherwise was:

was when Wax shot a bullet to alter the trajectory of another bullet. But that was when Wayne dropped his bubble, and Wax also used a push to drive his bullet forward with more speed/force

Crossing the barrier should affect objects moving in either direction, like light passing from air into water or vice versa.

This cliffhanger isn't very satisfying. Marasi's unlikely to get shot and even more unlikely to get killed. A prelude to something exciting, sure, but but nowhere near as aggravating as the Identity and Investiture bombshell.

Stormlight spoilers:

I'm... doubtful it was a Voidbringer. The skin was described as pure red, not the marbled red and black/white Parshendi have.

Voidbringers also have red eyes, not black ones, I believe. At least in this one case.

Please tag Stormlight spoilers in the Mistborn forum, guys. I had to fix like 4 posts on my cellphone and let me tell you Android was not designed to input square brackets easily.

Edit: Actually it turns out there's an easy way to do square brackets, via holding o or p. You learn new things every day.

Stormlight spoilers:

There are ten different kinds of Voidbringers. Plus, they could have discovered hundreds of forms between WoR and AoL.

That said, I'm doubtful as well. I do think Autonomy and Odium are working together, so I suppose it's possible. I just don't quite feel it. But I definitely wouldn't complain if it was a Voidbringer. That would mean cosmere things are happening.

THink we will be left with this as a cliffhanger, or do you think we will get chapter 7 a day before book release?

This should be it. There's only about a week until the release date. Additionally there were only 6 preview chapters for SoS. I also remember a post over on Reddit saying it would be chapters 1-6 (can't find it now).

Stormlight spoilers:

Can Odium work with another shard? It doesn't seem like his nature. Though Ruin could participate in creation, so maybe Odium can work with another shard if he's setting it up for a fall. Maybe he's trying to weaken/distract Harmony enough to give Odium a chance?

Also: Spook advocated for Hemalurgy on the dying? I'm glad Brandon's exploring the ethics of Hemalurgy! Ought to be interesting.

That is similar to LMB'S Sharing knife books where a dying Lake Walker would kill themselves with a special blade that could then be used to create a special killing blade for the monsters they fought.

I had no clue the clips would turn out to be a romantic device. As someone on TOR said, that turned into a nerd date.

Are Wayne and MeLann still on the main train? There is also an entire group of servants in the car with them. Lots of hostages even if Wax and Marasi could grab Steris and try to escape.

Also: Spook advocated for Hemalurgy on the dying? I'm glad Brandon's exploring the ethics of Hemalurgy! Ought to be interesting.

Also the beast had no eyes, apparently... Very interesting. Something took them out?

Yeah, I was pretty shocked by that. Had to assume that it would be done in a painless manner, and that it would be voluntary(but Marasi did use the terminology "round up", so probably not). About the creature falling from the void. Don't know if I should put spoilers, so gonna err on the side of caution

I don't think it's a voidbringer, even though the word void was dropped pretty blatantly. Possibly just a new Parshendi form, not of Odium.

Sort of Stormlight spoilers

I really doubt the monster is a Listener (watch me be proven wrong)

I think the monster is a new kind of hemalurgic creation. Though obviously something knows how to use hemalurgy, which is an interesting mystery.

I think rounding up dying metalborn is a bit harsh XD I think they should have the choice of giving their powers away though.

Poor Marasi doesnt understand Wayne's fantastic wisdom. I think it is interesting. Even if Wayne says it does not annoy him to constantly be in Wax's shadow it is obvious that he sometimes thinks about it.