Re-Vin-carnation

Pagerunner

Your theory is very nice, but as far as we know a cognitive shadow can't interact very much with the "living" (and download your entire experience in another Human is a pretty strong interaction).

A Cognitive Shadow is quite an "HumanSpren"

Edited by Yata

I like this. It's interesting and I'm almost certain that Kelsier will become relevant again in one way or another; it could be that he will be reincarnated (or pseudo-reincarnated).

We know that Snapping involves creating cracks in your spirit web which the power of Preservation then fills. What if a cognitive shadow (of a person who is mostly of the power of Preservation) could get in there fast enough to fill the cracks themselves, or at least be a part of the power that fills the cracks? Maybe this is more difficult with adults, since they already have developed minds and personalities, but a baby, like Vin when she Snapped, is pretty much a blank slate.

Edited by King's Twit

While I don't think Vin herself will show up again (WoB says he is done with the characters and they are happy where they are), I could totally see Kelsier bestowing his power on somebody, and Harmony drawing the conclusion that that is what happened to Vin. I think I really want that person to be a certain Mistborn serial killer in a world that doesn't have Mistborn anymore... Kell's Heir as a bad guy anyone??

While I don't think Vin herself will show up again (WoB says he is done with the characters and they are happy where they are), I could totally see Kelsier bestowing his power on somebody, and Harmony drawing the conclusion that that is what happened to Vin. I think I really want that person to be a certain Mistborn serial killer in a world that doesn't have Mistborn anymore... Kell's Heir as a bad guy anyone??

So many of the current bad guys are gis fans/imitators that it is more than a reasonable thing to expect a rogue mistborn to also pattern himself on him, even if not in such a literal way.

This was a very well put together theory, and the pun in the title made be chuckle. I don't necessarily believe that Vin will be coming back to life, but I can't help that you make some solid points. I'm also not entirely sure on the Realmatics stuff, so I won't really delve into that. I do have a few thoughts, however.

I think most of us are in agreement that Kelsier isn't quite done yet, and that he'll have a role to play sometime in the future. Whether or not he is a cognitive shadow or reincarnated when that happens, we will just have to wait and see. And this sounds like something that Kelsier would want to do. I can see him wanting to linger around for a few hundred years, wanting to cause trouble. I can't really say the same thing for Vin. I think that she is happy with Elend, and unless something terrible were to happen, I can't say for certain that Vin would WANT to come back to life. Maybe if events outside of her control made her, that would be a different story, but I don't see her doing it willingly. She's had a rough life, I think she deserves some rest.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if she came back. Vin is one of my favorite characters ever, and as long as she had a good reason for coming back, and that reason made sense, I'd be thrilled to see her resurrected. Once again, this was VERY well put together. Well done  :)

I've been thinking about reincarnation in cosmere as well.

in WoR, the letter sent to hoid uses the words:

I am told that in your current incarnation you've taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues. This is, I suspect, a little like a skunk naming itself for its stench. 

hmn... food for thought.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like many people have misinterpreted your theory. I don't think you ever claimed to think Vin would or wouldn''t come back to life, merely that it the time of the first Mistborn trilogy, she was a reincarnation of some previous person, most likely nole. I very much like this theory. I'm inclined to believe its true, but as you sort of mentioned, there is no hard evidence any where other than Sanderson-esk allusion to something else going on. Upvote for you because I think this a very interesting theory that doesn't have any flaws that immediately stick out to me.

Thanks for the upvotes and kind words, guys. I was worried I'd get torn apart, seeing as most of this could be explained as "Can't Vin just be talented? Why try to cheapen it with a complicated explanation?" and the prediction parts of the theory are all pretty blatant speculation.

Your theory is very nice, but as far as we know a cognitive shadow can't interact very much with the "living" (and download your entire experience in another Human is a pretty strong interaction).

A Cognitive Shadow is quite an "HumanSpren"

Actually, as Dalinar bonded with the Stormfather, he received visions, memories given to him from the Almighty. Even within the Mistborn trilogy, we see burning Atium (pure investiture, the body of Ruin) expands the mind of the user. So, investiture has been seen to interact quite strongly with humans before, and since cognitive shadows are comprised of investiture, they might be able to do some crazy things to people if they know how.

But I do agree that it would be a rare interaction. That's why I suggest it comes at a steep price to the cognitive shadow, much like Preservation expended his mind to trap Ruin. It would be a one-time event that sacrifices the cognition of the cognitive shadow.

I like this. It's interesting and I'm almost certain that Kelsier will become relevant again in one way or another; it could be that he will be reincarnated (or pseudo-reincarnated).

We know that Snapping involves creating cracks in your spirit web which the power of Preservation then fills. What if a cognitive shadow (of a person who is mostly of the power of Preservation) could get in there fast enough to fill the cracks themselves, or at least be a part of the power that fills the cracks? Maybe this is more difficult with adults, since they already have developed minds and personalities, but a baby, like Vin when she Snapped, is pretty much a blank slate.

That's a great point, Vin snapping so young. Being a baby, and having experienced nothing but the womb and then pain, the cracks in her soul might have been much larger than those of an adult, which is why dead people aren't reincarnating left and right. They need a much larger crack than simply Snapping into Allomancy.

I've been thinking about reincarnation in cosmere as well.

in WoR, the letter sent to hoid uses the words:

hmn... food for thought.

That is interesting. "Incarnation" is a bit of a loaded term - when referring to a person as such, I can't think of any context other than reincarnation. (A franchise, whether a movie series or a sports time, is usually where I would think of using that word, but nothing like that for individuals.) The mechanisms I think are behind reincarnation (cognitive shadows, cracks in the soul) aren't exclusive to Scadrial, so it might be something we can see elsewhere. There are some hurdles to compare Hoid to Vin, though.

Hoid has clear, distinct memories from the past, though, where Vin just has "instincts." So, if Hoid was reincarnating himself, he would need to take over a person much more... drastically than Vin's previous life did. Although, Hoid (who admits he would let Roshar burn to get what he wants) might be willing to sacrifice that one person. He might need even larger cracks than Vin had, so he might go for someone who's essentially brain-dead from shock. (Hmm... sounds like Taln. That makes me wonder... could the new Taln be a reincarnation of the old Taln? But that would require old Taln to have died... and since the other Heralds are running around, it makes me think the Heralds are immortal in a much more mundane sense of the world. Unless they're all reincarnating all the time. Oh, boy, now I've got something to think about when I reread WoK and WoR...)

But back to Hoid. How would that help him with his apparent goal of gathering magic abilities? He would need to retain his abilities from body-to-body. Remember, Vin was stronger than other Mistborn of her day (except Elend, obviously); maybe some of her power came from her previous incarnation. So, if Hoid can keep abilities from incarnation to incarnation, he could jump into a body on a new world, and use that to access its power (reincarnate on Sel to become an Elantrian).

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like many people have misinterpreted your theory. I don't think you ever claimed to think Vin would or wouldn''t come back to life, merely that it the time of the first Mistborn trilogy, she was a reincarnation of some previous person, most likely nole. I very much like this theory. I'm inclined to believe its true, but as you sort of mentioned, there is no hard evidence any where other than Sanderson-esk allusion to something else going on. Upvote for you because I think this a very interesting theory that doesn't have any flaws that immediately stick out to me.

Yeah, I realize now that I left it a little vague what I thought of Vin in the future. So, I guess I'll spell it out here: I agree that Vin's story is done. When she sacrificed herself to kill Ruin, she said that Elend was all she had to live for. She doesn't have a need to stick around to meddle.

I don't view Vin as a Dragon-like figure (for those who haven't read Wheel of Time, the Dragon was a title for a prophetical figure who would reincarnate every Age to defeat the Bad Guy) who comes back time and time again, in a recurring cycle of death and rebirth. I think it was a one-time event, more like a ghost merging with Vin.

While I don't discount your reincarnation theory completely, IMO Vin's talents and aptitudes can be explained in a simpler fashion.

Part 1

Vin's quick progress in allomantic and other skills can be seen as her being remarkably good at learning.

We know by WoB that she drew in a portion of the mists as a young child.

We also know by other WoB's (about slivers, but they're transferable here) that drawing in a lot of investiture (or a portion of a shard) expands the mind.

I believe Vin would have been rather smart to begin with, but with the residual effects of the mists added in, she would be remarkably good at assimilating new skills. Exactly as she is described in the books.

Part 2

Your take on the Vin-Valette conflict, while interesting, kind of devalues Vin's internal struggle IMO.

If seen as Vin adapting to new circumstances and accepting her changing personality, it's a story of personal growth.

If seen as Vin initially struggling against a cognitive shadow that has taken up residence inside, it becomes a story of her fighting off an infection and eventually failing.

Which is not saying it can't be true, but if I got to choose which story I'd like to read, I'd pick personal growth.

Part 3 

I'll pass on the other listed items, but I'd like to point out something about Minds powering Magic.

If one defines a person's mind as their cognitive aspect (somewhat hazy on the Realmatics myself, but I think that's at least somewhat right)

and you propose that the transference of experience into Vin was powered by a Cognitive Shadow burning up its mind, wouldn't the Shadow's experiences be burned up (as I can't really see those as anything but cognitive), leaving nothing to be implanted in Vin?

I'll skip over parts 4,5 and 6, since I don't see anything that I can confirm, refute or offer any alternatives to.

While I don't agree with your theory, I accept that it's a possibility. I admire the amount of effort you've put in and hope to read more of your ideas.

Firstly, wonderful job with the quotes, and speculation on each one individually and as a whole. Upvote for that.

Secondly, I think Brandon's a great writer, but to add a plot that's entirely based in the subtext, and can only be read by crazy people(i.e. The Shard), and is only relevant for people who are versed in realmatic theory, that would test the limits of his skill.

Thirdly, I do agree with EagleOfTheForestPath in that it does cheapen the plot in some places, since Vin is characteristically independent. To have some shadow manipulating her in the same way R&P did feels like stretching it.

Fourthly, I really really want this to be true because even if Vin doesn't come back, it means that she could come back. That would be a great false hope for me.

Fourthly, I really really want this to be true because even if Vin doesn't come back, it means that she could come back. That would be a great false hope for me.

But this theory if it is true (but I don't think), this don't give more chance to see a "Vin Reborn" in the future books than before.

This Theory works through the idea that a Cognitive Shadow may "imprint" itself on a living people. But Vin didn't left any Cognitive Shadow (Kelsier did it), She is with Elend in the far far place beyond the three realms (Sazed himself stated the Vin&Elend's status).

Edited by Yata

I may be stretching it here, but going by your theory, could Miles Hundredlives be a reincarnated Kelsier?

Lurking cognitive shadows aside, that would suggest that Kelsier willingly reincarnated himself into a man with no apparent sense of humor.  I have trouble believing that to be possible.

Your evidence would also more soundly support a theory that Vin was being more directly influenced by Preservation than anyone else ever was and that Preservation was stepping in as her instinct. I think it may be a bit of a jump to conclude it's some random mistborn noble, but that's just me.

Your evidence would also more soundly support a theory that Vin was being more directly influenced by Preservation than anyone else ever was and that Preservation was stepping in as her instinct. I think it may be a bit of a jump to conclude it's some random mistborn noble, but that's just me.

But Preservation can't "talk" to you, He may just listen your thought. Harmony itself can't talk to anybody without using Ruin's power.