The Official Thread of Relationships

I actually started liking someone myself but I don't meet her dating standards...debating on going for it anyways but I'm not sure... :unsure:

Go for it :) you are not a good jugde when thinking about these kind of "standards". Try anyway and think that you'll get +10 points for confidence :)

Go for it :) you are not a good jugde when thinking about these kind of "standards". Try anyway and think that you'll get +10 points for confidence :)

Well it is more of she is very religious and she told me that she only would date someone who is also religious, which I am not. Her being religious doesn't bother me though (I grew up with it my entire life) so maybe I can win her over some other way. Lol 

You dont even need to be a couple then. Just combine your sass into super sass and bring the sassapocalypse.

...you know there are more kinds of relationships than friendship and couples... Like, I dont know, sassfriends.

and I got ninjad.

Edited by Morzathoth

Well it is more of she is very religious and she told me that she only would date someone who is also religious, which I am not. Her being religious doesn't bother me though (I grew up with it my entire life) so maybe I can win her over some other way. Lol 

I wonder why she said that. As long as you're adhering to her rules (seriously, I'm religious myself and I don't see any problem with dating somebody non-religious) there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Unless she uses that argument to gently push you away. Or test if you would give up over such obstacle. Or something. I'm not exactly an expert on women. But don't give up, there is no gain in giving up.

My answer to this one would be: what are your expectations?

I wonder why she said that. As long as you're adhering to her rules (seriously, I'm religious myself and I don't see any problem with dating somebody non-religious) there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Unless she uses that argument to gently push you away. Or test if you would give up over such obstacle. Or something. I'm not exactly an expert on women. But don't give up, there is no gain in giving up.

Well we were just discussing dating (I met her at work) and that was just one of the things she said. It could have been said to push me away, who knows. Lol 

My answer to this one would be: what are your expectations?

I don't really have any expectations, I gave up on those a long time ago when things never lived up to them. I'm more of a "we'll see how things go" type of person at this point. I'm always up for something long term but I try not to let myself get carried away anymore. 

Easiest resolution ever.  It's a no.  The only way it's not a no is if she knows you're not religious and pursues you despite herself.

Easiest resolution ever.  It's a no.  The only way it's not a no is if she knows you're not religious and pursues you despite herself.

ThirdGen speaks the truth. Having been that girl before—the one who wouldn't date anyone who didn't share her religion or come from the same very specific branch of it that she was raised under—I can say that the best thing you can do here is respect her boundaries. If she decides to pursue you anyway, wonderful; if not, don't press her. 

ThirdGen speaks the truth. Having been that girl before—the one who wouldn't date anyone who didn't share her religion or come from the same very specific branch of it that she was raised under—I can say that the best thing you can do here is respect her boundaries. If she decides to pursue you anyway, wonderful; if not, don't press her. 

Yeah, I was never going to pursue strongly and make her uncomfortable. I just thought I would do something nice for her, toss a hint or two out there and see what happens. I really don't expect her to be interested in me anyways, religion or not. But she is really nice and has a good personality so I thought I would try to make a feeble attempt. 

Well, it's almost that time of the year again. Birds flutter happily through the trees, the stars shine brightly in the night sky, and love is in the air!

My girlfriend and I wanted to try something a little but different than what we had in the past (i.e., dinner and a movie), and so we're going to celebrate Valentine's Day tomorrow by cooking a meal and a dessert together. We shall begin by going to the local grocery store, (i.e., the Wal of Marts,) and collecting all of our needed ingredients. Then we shall return to my place of residence to whip up some dinner! I believe that the chef special is going to be a delicious Asian inspired tofu...recipe thing. Next up, we shall remove the Chocolate Mousse (prepared two hours early so that it would have the proper tome to set.) from the magic cold box before feasting upon its chocolatey goodness. Finally, we shall clean up the mess that we inevitably made while goofing off in the kitchen. (I know that chocolate mousse and Asian food is a bit of an odd mix, but I'm told that that's half of the fun. :P)

So Happy Valentine's to everyone! And happy Single's Awareness Day to everyone else. I wish you all good fortune in your quests to win the hear of your preferred human.   :P

Who says this thread has to be about only romantic relationships? I have some friendship problems I want advice for.

I feel like I'm drifting away from my two best friends I'll refer to them as A and K for this. (They're twins.) We still spend time together, but it's more in the little things. They care about guys way more than I do. A told me that she doesn't like pretty girls. It felt like K was ignoring me when we were in a group of friends one night, but it could just be that she wanted to spend time with other people she doesn't get to see as much. Stuff like that.

Our interests are so completely different. I spend my time reading 1000 page books, while they spend their time reading their Instagram feeds.

I feel like the only reason we're even friends anymore is out of habit, and I don't know what to do. :(

Who says this thread has to be about only romantic relationships? I have some friendship problems I want advice for.

I feel like I'm drifting away from my two best friends I'll refer to them as A and K for this. (They're twins.) We still spend time together, but it's more in the little things. They care about guys way more than I do. A told me that she doesn't like pretty girls. It felt like K was ignoring me when we were in a group of friends one night, but it could just be that she wanted to spend time with other people she doesn't get to see as much. Stuff like that.

Our interests are so completely different. I spend my time reading 1000 page books, while they spend their time reading their Instagram feeds.

I feel like the only reason we're even friends anymore is out of habit, and I don't know what to do. :(

People grow and change at different rates and in different directions; it's a natural part of life, albeit a painful one.  It's still possible to maintain friendships with people who have vastly diverging interests from yours, but with that comes the probability of spending less time with them just because you like to do different things.

Ok.

Do you still want to be friends with them?

Do you have other friends?

Change isn't a bad thing. If you're heartbroken that you guys don't spend much time together, think about what you like about them and emphasise that. It sounds like they're not the people you geek out with, are they the ones you go to with problems? Go on a run with? Laugh at the same jokes? Share a taste in music? Make a point of doing more of that.

And if you find that you just don't want to be friends anymore, not because you dislike them but simply because you have nothing to interact about, that's hard, but it's ok. You can totally still hang out with them, but make your go-to friends the ones you have more in common with/like more. And if you don't have such friends, wear a geeky t shirt to school or something and go make some. :)

Ah this unfortunately happens. It may be the first time, but it likely won't be the last time: very few people keep their childhood circle of friends intact throughout their adult years. Some do, some don't, but most people end up losing/gaining friends on several occasions at they aged. There are periods in your life where you are more susceptible to change your circle of friends: teenage years is one of them, parenthood is another one.

Often, lost friendships do not happen out of fights or bad feelings, but simply sprout from people who just develop other interest than you own. Sometimes it is you who changes, who becomes interested in other activities than those you previously shared with your friends. 

It's OK if your friends are more interested into boys than they used to be and it's OK if you aren't. As Delightful pointed out, you don't need to share everything with every single friends you have. However, if you find out you just don't have anything in common with these friends anymore, it's OK to let them go. No ill feeling, just life passing by. It could be you will find each other again at a later time or it could be you will simply stop being friends.

One of my dear childhood friend moved to another country, is furiously against the Internet (so she doesn't have a Facebook account and is allergic to simple emails): she broke all bridges with her former life here. Last time I saw her, my daughter was a baby: I don't even know if she knows I now have a son as well. I don't even know what she is up to or if she has children of her own now. Sometimes, I wonder if I should call her mother to have some news.

Another one of my greatest friend had children before I did, but it was fine. We were willing to make compromise to keep the friendship running. I used to think we would see each other more when I had my children, but the reverse happened... They turned into hockey freak parents: their whole life is orchestrated around their children playing hockey and it's basically all they talk about. She also does not work nor does she seem to have the intention to ever work. We still see each other, but we are moving away from each other. I know she'll always be my friend, but it isn't what it used to be.

What happened? Life. Life happened. My parents once told me how they lost many friends through the years. I used to think they were lunatics as I would never lose my friends... I would never let this happen... Guess who was right in the end. I hate when it happens.

I'd thus say keep your eyes and ears open to anyone sharing common interest with yourself such as to develop new friendships with other people. Don't be picky either, if someone is genuinely interested in you, keep an open mind and see if this person could become a new friend.

There are always going to be people willing to develop new friendships, you just need to help them find you. 

I have a solution for all the lonely singles on the Shard!

That is to say, this came up on my FB feed and .....it looks pretty legit to me. So if people are lonely, and want to be brave, assuming this works on the Internet, ask each other a bunch of questions and voila! You'll have a significant other!

Batteries not included.

Authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra.

What do you do when the girl who sits next to you in SciFi/Fantasy class gives you a TARDIS keychain because she's a huge geek and knows you are too? :mellow:

You have to provide more info. Right now we know that you don't know how to react in this situation. But we don't know how you feel about it. Are you trying to find a way to befriend her? Pick her up? Let her know you're uninterested in a gentle way?

Do you know her? Do you know who she is? Did you just meet her?

Is she interested in you? (I know it's hard to tell, but sometimes there are clues) Trying to befriend you? How is she behaving?

Tell us something!

P.S. I can give you a spike granting Allomantic brass for the low price of 2 kilograms of gold. I will even throw in a supply of brass.

Edited by Oversleep