Question 18

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

i posted my character on Epics of Oregon, but no one has replied yet

There's not much I can say I didn't say before (they're pretty straight forward powers after all). The one thing that wasn't really clear is how much shadow there has to be for the secondary to take effect.

i posted my character on Epics of Oregon, but no one has replied yet

The Epics of Oregon Thread isn't meant for discussion, but a quick index of users and their characters. Discussion happens here, in the Questions threads, which yours has been discussed. So long as no one voices any concerns that need attention, you need the approval of the local GM (depends on which thread you're joining), and you also need to send said GM and TwiLyght your characters' weaknesses (if they are Epics). Once that list is fully checked off, you're free to post.

Because we know the whole state was destroyed at some point so we don't need to worry as much about accidentally breaking canon. Also because the RP started with Twi asking the question of what happened in Oregon.

Ah. That makes sense XD

Thanks!

Bai!

~Wpx

I think that newcomers should bear in mind that What Happened in Oregon is as much a collaborative fanfiction as it is a roleplay. The goal of the game is not to advance your character's power or to "win" in some way. It is to tell a great story.

This is why we frown on members being overly secretive. Keeping secrets (aside from pieces of character development meant to be surprising revelations) benefits no one and can put gum in the gears that drive this massive project. Please be forefront and open when it comes to character powers and other characteristics deemed important by your GMs. :)

Annoying thing about Mod powers: Being able to read hidden posts and wondering why people hid them since they seem to be perfectly fine.
#Firstworldproblems
Oh dear god, I'm turning into Lucentia, someone shoot me now before I start complaining about how long I'm going to have to wait for a coffee since I broke all the Baristas legs.

how am i supposed to know what happened in the What happened in Corvallis page without having to look over the long pages of it?

well I'd heavily recommend reading or at least skimming the whole thread, so that you know everything that is happening. I can do a quick summary for you, but it is important to know the little details.

Summary

It began two weeks ago with an assassination attempt. Two Epics tried to kill Euphoria, and they came very close. The assassins were killed, but in the chaos an insane Epic named Iconoclast snuck into the city. Kenshin also arrived, but grows dissatisfied with the drugged nature of her servants.

Two weeks later: Euphoria disappears, kidnapped by an old friend of hers, now an Epic named Insight. Without her power drugging the populace, people begin rioting. The city's rulers- Rainmaker and her Queens, gather to make a show of strength and intimidate the rioting crowd.

Iconoclast, after laying low for weeks, makes his move, and goes to the riot. Using his powers of ghoulification, he turns people into monsters and the riot intensifies. The Queens cowl people into submission, but just then two more Epics- Converter and Phoenix, also attack. Phoenix is killed (but later reincarnates), and Converter is trapped and imprisoned. Eventually order is restored and the riot is dispersed, but the seeds of rebellion have been planted.

The next day, Iconoclast launches more attacks, creating ghouls and murdering innocent civilians and Epics alike. The Queens deal with each attack as it comes, and he changes tactics. He begins gifting his powers to servants, sending them over the city to launch fresh attacks. Argon arrives in the city, and an old rival named Drainer sends one of his servants, Summer, to spy on him. Meanwhile, Kenshin is offered a job in security.

Euphoria, trapped with Insight, relives their former friendship and learns hints of why he is so bent on destroying Corvallis. Rainmaker reveals that she had captured one of the initial assassins, and learns that the assassins had been working with Insight. Insight kills her before she can tell Rainmaker anything of use besides his name.

Those are the major events I can remember, as of now. There is still time for much more to happen today.

Annoying thing about Mod powers: Being able to read hidden posts and wondering why people hid them since they seem to be perfectly fine.

#Firstworldproblems

Oh dear god, I'm turning into Lucentia, someone shoot me now before I start complaining about how long I'm going to have to wait for a coffee since I broke all the Baristas legs.

Tell us your secrets. :ph34r:

On the topic of hiding posts I noticed this one in the Epics of Oregon

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/15990-epics-of-oregon/?p=192466

that's essentially not required at all. Would you awesomness aloow you to deal with that? :ph34r:

No you are not, you are using your powers for good! (and you have no family relation at all to Nighthound, that always helps. :P )

Tell us your secrets. :ph34r:

On the topic of hiding posts I noticed this one in the Epics of Oregon

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/15990-epics-of-oregon/?p=192466

that's essentially not required at all. Would you awesomness aloow you to deal with that? :ph34r:

No you are not, you are using your powers for good! (and you have no family relation at all to Nighthound, that always helps. :P )

Unfortunately I'm sworn to secrecy, otherwise Chaos will get angry at me. :P

It does indeed and I feel confident in hiding superfluous stuff here even if I don't really want to use my mod-powers anywhere else in the forums much. Done.

Well, good and mischief. I do like leaving edit messages on peoples posts for no reason :P

Still that's a pretty far cry from Lucentia, I'm at MV levels of evil.

Unfortunately I'm sworn to secrecy, otherwise Chaos will get angry at me. :P

It does indeed and I feel confident in hiding superfluous stuff here even if I don't really want to use my mod-powers anywhere else in the forums much. Done.

Well, good and mischief. I do like leaving edit messages on peoples posts for no reason :P

Still that's a pretty far cry from Lucentia, I'm at MV levels of evil.

Mischief good where's the difference. :P

And then MV turned into a complete monster in your next post because she was bored. :mellow::ph34r:

Mischief good where's the difference. :P

And then MV turned into a complete monster in your next post because she was bored. :mellow::ph34r:

Well there is a giant building falling towards her that she's fully capable of freezing and such an act would undoubtedly crank her corruption up a few notches.  <_< 

I think she'll be too busy Tsuning though. :P

Well there is a giant building falling towards her that she's fully capable of freezing and such an act would undoubtedly crank her corruption up a few notches.  <_< 

I think she'll be too busy Tsuning though. :P

That's right, let her be guided by her inner Tsunderplane. :P

Now she only needs to realise that she didn't love Backtrack but only the idea of being in love and shoot him off. :ph34r:

how am i supposed to know what happened in the What happened in Corvallis page without having to look over the long pages of it?

As daunting a task as it might seem, you really should read the whole thread to understand it. It'll also help you decide where you want your character to start and also help you figure out how your character fits into the overall story.

Summary

It began two weeks ago with an assassination attempt. Two Epics tried to kill Euphoria, and they came very close. The assassins were killed, but in the chaos an insane Epic named Iconoclast snuck into the city. Kenshin also arrived, but grows dissatisfied with the drugged nature of her servants.

Two weeks later: Euphoria disappears, kidnapped by an old friend of hers, now an Epic named Insight. Without her power drugging the populace, people begin rioting. The city's rulers- Rainmaker and her Queens, gather to make a show of strength and intimidate the rioting crowd.

Iconoclast, after laying low for weeks, makes his move, and goes to the riot. Using his powers of ghoulification, he turns people into monsters and the riot intensifies. The Queens cowl people into submission, but just then two more Epics- Converter and Phoenix, also attack. Phoenix is killed (but later reincarnates), and Converter is trapped and imprisoned. Eventually order is restored and the riot is dispersed, but the seeds of rebellion have been planted.

The next day, Iconoclast launches more attacks, creating ghouls and murdering innocent civilians and Epics alike. The Queens deal with each attack as it comes, and he changes tactics. He begins gifting his powers to servants, sending them over the city to launch fresh attacks. Argon arrives in the city, and an old rival named Drainer sends one of his servants, Summer, to spy on him. Meanwhile, Kenshin is offered a job in security.

Euphoria, trapped with Insight, relives their former friendship and learns hints of why he is so bent on destroying Corvallis. Rainmaker reveals that she had captured one of the initial assassins, and learns that the assassins had been working with Insight. Insight kills her before she can tell Rainmaker anything of use besides his name.

Those are the major events I can remember, as of now. There is still time for much more to happen today.

Don't forget:

There's also some vanillas planning a rebellion as well. That story line is moving real slow, but understandably so given what all has to happen to get it going.

Hello! Weirdpersonx here. I'm posting my idea for my first Epic, and I would love for anyone to post comments on what they think. Also, let me know what you think of my writing style.

Now...presenting...THUNDERSPEAR!

Name: Arge

Epic Name: ThunderSpear (Very epic, I know)

Primary: Temporarily alters nearby materials in an area around him, roughly 10 m diameter (probably will need to change that though). This makes them highly conductive, and can actually increase the strength of the electrical charge going through. When combined with Secondary, explosion is bigger. Can only be used if he is angry

Secondary #1: Can shoot a bolt of lightning, exploding on contact. Releases an electrical discharge, stunning the few people that survive the lightning and shorting out any electrical stuffz

Secondary #2: Can create up to one indestructible spear, which he can use to channel his secondary #1 into the ground directly around him instead of launching a bolt. If he loses the spear, he can create a new one, destroying the old one

Passive(s): Immune to electric shock (dur); if he throws his spear, it will fly back; resilient skin*

*Bullets, swords, etc. don't hurt him. Generic explosions can cause him to stumble, but don't actually harm him. However, attacks that are more energy based can harm him, such as the gauss rifle used in Steelheart. Epic abilities that are energy based hurt him, though not as much as they would a vanilla (as in, he isn't destroyed, but will probably be pretty banged up. Same for guns of that type).

Weakness: Hint: It has legs

Effect of Weakness: All powers negated. No longer immune to electricity. Resilience partially negated, fully negated if weakness is exploited fully (will explain to GMs)

Appearance:

• Roughly middle height, around 5 ft 10.
  • Long, curly rusty red hair (a very dark red, nearing brown) tied back in a ponytail. When it has been out of the ponytail for long enough, it reverts to massive ringlets (that’s just a fun fact—it’s never out for long enough :P).
  • He has brown eyes, and slightly tanned skin.
  • He wears a slightly green wide-brimmed hat which can be buttoned up on the side to allow for a large rifle (though he usually doesn’t like shooting. And yes, the hat is actually naturally slightly green).
  • When incognito, he wears a dark, full-body trench coat. Otherwise, he wears a dark t-shirt, over which is a black jacket, and jeans.
  • On his left wrist there is a watch made with a special insulated metal which resemble stainless steel.
  • When he goes full epic mode, his eyes glow yellow, and he hovers in the air slightly (that is just a side effect of electrically charging the air around him—not a true power), though just an inch or two.

Personality:
Positive: When he tries, charismatic. Also highly ambitious, though that fits under both. Third is focus—if he decides he wants something, he doesn’t stop until he gets it

Negative: In addition to typical epic corruption, he is callous, though he doesn’t intentionally kill vanillas—he just doesn’t care about them. If he is attacked with anything stronger than a rocket launcher, he gets really, as in, really, angry. Third, easily distracted unless he is in his hyperfocus mode.

MO: Generally just floats (not literally) through an area, scoping it out for anything he wants. If he finds something he wants (assuming it is an object) he walks up and grabs it. If the person resists, he electrocutes them, then walks away. If they aren’t electrocuted, he pulls his spear out of its back sheath, then stabs them. All of this he does without showing any emotion. If the person is an epic (i.e., they didn’t die from his spear) he launches a lightning bolt at them. If they continue to say no, he goes full fight mode, takes the object, destroys the area, then leaves. If they actively resist, he reaches the fight stage sooner.

Example for Combat (NOTE: this is from a vanilla’s perspective until the fight)
The door to the burger house burst open, and a tall, well-tanned man walked in. “Epic,” I thought to myself. “Not again."

He called out, “What is your best? Prepare one immediately.”
I replied, doing my best to stay calm, “Of course. Do you mind pickles?”
He smirked. “No.”
“Just a few minutes then,” I said, scurrying to the kitchen.
Suddenly, the whole room darkened. “Crud,” I said. Not aloud of course—I was technically under ShadowBreaths protection (he is going to be my next—you get a teaser here! Just remember that this is an example, and not cannon to the RP) and didn’t want to anger him.
“What are you doing here, puny epic?” he said—already his shadows were beginning to form around him.
“I just wanted a burger. Is that too much to ask? Oh, and I’m ThunderSpear. You would be…?” the Epic, who I now know as ThunderSpear, challenged.
Aloud, I mused, “ThunderSpear…where have I heard that before?” One of my cooks replied, “He stopped in at StrikeBurst’s place a few weeks back. Nothing was left.” (I might make StrikeBurst as well, but she’s further out. Or he, not sure XD)
“Oh.”
Meanwhile, ShadowBreath was replying, “A burger…that is fine. But here, you have to pay to get one. As for my name…I AM SHADOWBREATH.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Breath. Though I ask, why should I pay? Or do you have some sort of feeling for this establishment? It would be a shame if I had to destroy it.”
“As if you could...”
(3…2…1…FIGHT)
Shadows swarmed across the floor, sweeping towards ThunderSpear (TS). TS drew his spear and twirled it around him, small bolts of lightning striking around him, dispersing the shadows. TS thrust his spear towards ShadowBreath (SB—or SOB, sometimes :P), releasing a massive bolt of explosive lightning. The bolt sent SB flying backwards, and before he could recover from the shock, TS was on him, stabbing again and again with his spear, never giving SB a chance to get up.
All of a sudden, he heard a sound, barely a breath, behind him. He spun around, barely blocking the sword strike that seemed to come from no-where. With a roar, he made the entire building superconductive. He stabbed his spear into the ground, channeling a massive bold of lightning. The entire building erupted with force, as a large chunk of the nearby town blacked out—including many nearby people.
When the dust cleared, nothing remained of ShadowBreath or the famous burger house except for a crater. ThunderSpear was gone.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know what you think!
Bai!
~Wpx

Edited by Weirdpersonx