QF12: The Time of Reckoning
there's
You live in California. Or you used to. Nowadays it's called Persepolis, named by the Epic who's ruled here since Calamity rose. All things considered, he isn't the worst. Public infrastructure is mostly gone, sure, but killing is frowned upon. A few months later, you woke up with powers yourself. You've pleased Perseus, and have made your way into his service. Perseus has need of all of you, but you would do well to remember: you are replaceable. Every day, Perseus chooses the worst among you, those who have contributed the least, and kills them. Personally. Every day there is a reminder that no one is untouchable. Even Epics. Even you.
always
You come from somewhere else. You've seen what the Epics do. And you've sworn to execute any who break the law. By a strange coincidence, that is almost all of them. For what they have done, for what they do, for what they will do, there will be a reckoning. And you are bringing it.
another

Alignments

Reckoner: You want to kill all the Epics you can, even at the cost of your own life. The Reckoners have a google doc to conspire in, and may make one group kill per cycle.
Win Condition: Kill all the Epics, or reach a point where victory is assured.

Epic: You want to get rid of those pesky Reckoners, although you wouldn't mind getting ahead in Perseus' court while you're at it...
Primary Win Condition: Kill all the Reckoners
Secondary Win Condition: Survive
Tertiary Win Condition: Kill as many other Epics as you can

Survivors will be granted a rank depending on their number. See post 2.

role

Roles

This game is Role Madness: all players will have a role that is not "No Powers".
No role is safe. An epic may have 1 or more of the following powers. Reckoners may have (a) power(s), but they would be granted by technology. There is no distinction between an Epic power and a Reckoner power. You may use 1 active power per cycle.

Active Powers:
Illusions: You're very good at making pretty pictures in someone else's brain. You may trick someone into voting for another person once per cycle. You may change a vote from, but not to, "no vote". You may make people vote for themselves.

Invisibility: You can turn yourself invisible, and sneak around. While invisible, you've been known to follow people around. You may choose one person per cycle to follow, and you will discover which power, if any, they used that cycle. If their passive power(s) was(were) used, you will discover it, but otherwise you won't.

Matter Disruption: You can change matter to its opposite. Luckily for the planet, you were a bit of a nerd before you gained powers and have only chosen to create tiny amounts of antimatter at once. You may attempt to kill one player per cycle.

Forcefields: You can create walls of pure energy, able to deflect even the strongest of forces. You may protect one player with these walls every cycle. You may protect yourself.

Transmogrification: You can change objects into other objects. You can turn someone's door into solid wood, locking them inside their room and preventing their vote from counting.

Passive Powers:
Accelerated Healing: You heal wounds extremely quickly. With it, you can survive an assassination attempt much easier than a regular person. The first time you would die, you will survive, though the energy you expend will prevent you from healing again. Accelerated Healing does not protect from Perseus.

Magnified Persuasion: You can convince people of your point of view very easily. As such, when you vote, it will count twice.

Enhanced Relationships: You have formed close bonds with everyone you know, and they definitely wouldn't want to kill you. Your vote total is decreased by 1, unless nobody voted for you.

Telepathy: You can hear others' thoughts, and can project yours into their minds. At the beginning of the game, you may request a certain number of PMs with other players. If a player you have a PM with dies, you may request another PM.

Heat Vision: Your can see thermal signatures and can't be deceived by invisibility. You find it amusing to fool those who follow you. If you are followed by an Invisible player, you will be informed that you were followed and they will get a random result.

If you don't contribute in Perseus' Court, you don't live. Any player who does not post in the thread, the GM PM, or another PM in 2 full cycles will be killed by him mercilessly.

Notes:
The only means of PMs is Telepathy. No other PMs are allowed.
The write-up will include all kill attempts. Only dead players will be named in the write-up. There may be hints in write-ups, but it is not a good idea to read too much into wording.
The number of Telepathy PMs will change depending on how many people sign up. It will be edited into the rules once the game starts.

Order of Actions:
1. Perseus' Kill
2. Passive Powers
3. Transmogrification
4. Illusions
5. Votes Counted and Lynch
6. Forcefields
7. Matter Disruption and Reckoner Kill
8. Invisibililty

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

Reserved for clarifications, player list, and final titles.
Clarifications:
1. Sign-ups will last one week, from 1/08 to 1/15, at approximately 6 PM EST.
2. The rollover time will be 6 PM EST. The write-up will be posted by an hour later at most.
3. Any questions about the game in PMs, docs, or the thread will be answered in the thread. I'll also try to edit them into this post for quick reference.
4. Cycles are 24 hours long.
Player List:

1. Mike Durbin(Adavantos)
2. Maren Noles(Mailliw73)
3. Graye Pierce(Kynedath)
4. Mac(Paranoid King)
5. Avi Exseus(Hellscythe)
6. Ereth(Elbereth)
7. Reneé(Arraenae)
8. Ripple(RippleGylf)
9. Ken(Elkanah)
10. Kipper(Kipper)
11. Andrew(Araris Valerian)
12. Sam Charleston(Bridge Boy)
13. Emo Ren(Anamaximder)
14. Lanky(Clanky)
15. Tyler(TheMightyLopen)
16. Star Thief(TheSilverDragon)
17. Steph(QueenSteph)
18. Locke(OrlokTsubodai)

Final Titles

Should the Epics win, all survivors will receive the same title.
Epics Remaining-Title
1- Calamity
2- Triply High Epic
3- Doubly High Epic
4- High Epic
5-8- Epics
9-15- Minor Epic
16-24- Minion
25-35- Mook

Edited by phattemer

I'll sign up as Graye Pierce please. He is 5'11'' with gray eyes, short, black hair and a permanent half-smile. He wears an open charcoal gray trenchcoat, black jeans and shoes, and a red T-shirt.

Edited by Kynedath

It started, as always, with Renee launching herself off of a balcony, doing two front somersaults in the air, briefly touching the ground, doing a roundoff, then five back handsprings, and ending with a layout twist.

Alright, that was an exaggeration. Sometimes her opening routine was even more impressive. But the mortals in this dirt-filled hovel didn't need to know that. Out here in Persepolis, this must be perfection unlike anything they'd ever seen before.

"Well?" Renee demanded. "Clap!"

The mortals glanced at each other with wide eyes. They whispered among themselves, obviously about how impressive that tumbling pass had been. Then one of them started clapping, followed by the rest. All except for one mortal, who sullenly stood with his arms glued to his sides.

How dare that mortal refuse to knowledge the epicness that was Renee? She glared at him, and was surprised that the mortal had enough temerity to glare back.

"Clap!" Renee ordered again.

"No," the mortal said. "I am not a slave for you to order around, Epic."

Well, enough was enough. The mortal refused to show an appropriate amount of respect, so Renee had every right to give an appropriate punishment. She rushed forwards and threw him into a wall. Then, she walked towards the mortal's whimpering form and kicked him in the ribs. The bone cracked with a satisfyingly loud crunch.

"Fortunately for you, Lord Perseus frowns on killing," Renee said to the mortal. "However, he doesn't have anything against maiming."

She turned and bowed towards the rest of the mortals, who were all clapping quite loudly. Some of the mortals' eyes had anger etched in them, no doubt because of the contemptuous way the mortal had treated Renee.

Renee turned her back on the mortals and vaulted into the distance. This had just been warm-up. The real show was going be later, when she reached the group of mortals who called themselves "Reckoners".

------

In other words, sign me up! I'm quite excited to see what's going to happen this game.

Phatt, what day does the game start and when is the rollover?

Edited by Arraenae

So, as promised, a description of my character. What I'm doing, in essence, is duplicating what the playstyle of one of my characters would be, which both helps me understand those characters better, and lets me experience different playstyles. Kind of an RP of the whole game! (See the second half of this post for more explanation.)

This particular character that I'm pretending to be this time is a shapeshifting teenage boy with anger management issues in my novel.

How does that carry over? Well, I'll be very aggressive. If I ever go too far for anyone, just tell me and I'll stop. Any particularly bad bits I'll also try to preface with a bit in blue telling you not to take offense.

PM usage will be a little bit on the lower side, but still relatively normal. There will be some RP (though not nearly as much as AG2, where it's basically in every post- probably more like once a cycle, or once every other cycle), but given that the character in my novel is a shapeshifter, it won't be terribly consistent. (GM, if you want a ravening beast to come out of nowhere or whatever, that would probably be my character "helping out the GM with realism".)

I think that covers it. If it comes up, my character is also averse to couples behaving excessively romantically (which will carry over to RPs, and shouldn't come up otherwise), and people who enjoy being mysterious far too much.

For this character, I haven't decided whether I'll be in character in the eliminator doc (if that comes up) or not. I could go either way. I will likely be in character for PMs, unlike usual.

On with the game!

Edited by Elbereth

I'll sign on as Ken. I can't promise much for role play, but I'll do what I can. Ken is of polynesian descent but his family has lived in California Persepolis for a few generations now. He's 6'2 and has a thug like build. He's not much for book smarts but he knows his way around the streets and here that's much more important anyway. He's generally easy going until he feels threatened.

I'm also excited for the activity filter. Here's to another great game!

I'll join in! This looks like fun.

My character is Sam Charleston. (No relation to David Charleston, of course.) Before calamity rose, he was really into mystery novels, namely, the villains of them. So after calamity rose, he saw it as the perfect opportunity, and enjoys being mysterious far too much. He talks in riddles, subtle phrasings, and occasionally haiku. He also found an emperor Palpatine cloak somewhere, and wears it to conceal his face. Often known as "That one guy. You know, the really annoying guy in the black sheet." He occasionally kills people as well, seeing it to be an opportunity to back up his "villain" role. He also writes books in his spare time, and goes by the pen name of "The One." Because, hey, that's mysterious, right? Or is it...

I'll sign up as Tyler. An extremely average, normal guy.

Edit: I've got some questions!

1. Does the act of sending in the Reckoners kill count as your 1 Action for that Cycle, making whoever sent it in unable to use their active power(if they have one) for that Cycle?

2. If it does count as an Action, would it be viewable by using invisibility on whoever sent in the Reckoners kill?

3. If you use invisibility on a player who used both their active power and passive power in the same Cycle, what results would you get? Would you get both? Or only one of them?

4. Do Forcefields protect from all attacks, or just one? Meaning, is there double-tapping in this game?

5. Is the Reckoners kill distinguishable from the Matter Disruption kill(s)?

Edited by TheMightyLopen

Sign me up as Star Thief, usually just called Star. She is around 18, though because if her small stature and childlike attitude, people assume she is only about 10.

She also really likes "shinies" and will take then when she can.

Edited by TheSilverDragon