First chapter of book 3 with Kaladin

Garfield

I just read through the chapter that BS has put online of book three

http://www.tor.com/2014/09/30/brandon-sanderson-stormlight-archive-book-3-first-chapter/comment-page-2/#comment-563594

and I have to say, if this is how the character arc of Kaladin continues, I'm quite fed up with him.Two books full of it, at the end of book one Kaladin seems to come around and now he again regresses back to the state he was in when he was in those slave wagons or ready to give up and jump into the chasm.

I don't mind at all if Kaladin continues to have his lows, is a bit emo when things go wrong. But repeating the same pattern for three books, THIS is not character development, it’s plain boring and pointless and I completely lose interest in the character.

Oh and by the way, Dalinar was a complete idiot for entrusting Kaladin with this fortune in charged spheres in order to help out back at home.

Is he eager to see, if his parents are still alive? Nope! Not high on his priority list. Wallowing in self pity is more important.

Guard marches him into the house, another of the men whacks him over the head from behind, robs him while he is unconscious, surprised and happy for what he finds in his bag and they leave him to die with a cracked skull. All because he was too depressed to defend himself, let alone defend others. Life before death? Nope. No stormlight to heal him. End of story.

Plus, in a state like that he will break his oath again, anyway, killing Syl out of sheer depression, because he simply can not muster the energy to uphold his oaths, not even the first one. Dalinar, declare him unfit for duty and lock him up in the disabled Radiant loony bin where he gets therapy for his problems.

Wow. This is really annoying to read…. And I don’t want him to pull the Radiant heroics after a breakdown to save the day another time around, because we had that. Several times over!

What a disappointment!

I don't think this chapter is bad. I found it great. A few points.

Kaladin has had limited character development, because he has already been forced down enough. Depression is real, man.

Dalinar trusts Kaladin cause he saved his life, and is a confirmed Radiant, and avenged his flipping BROTHER!

Kaladin will never develop a meaning relationship with his parents. He swore on the Almighty's tenth name that he would bring Tien home. He didn't.

And he doesn't get hit. When is that in the chapter?

That's just my 2 cents.

Edited by Anamaximder

Now you are taking everything out if proportion Garfield. It is OK to be pessimistic when your family was likely killed by the Everstorm, and going along with the guard is as good plan as any other to find out how much survived without exposing his Radiancy.

However I disagree with Anaximander about Kaladin's parents. He is just too scared of what he may find.

Edited by DreamEternal

without exposing his Radiancy.

Why shouldnt he? Why should he go incognito as an escaped slave/deserter darkeye when there is work to do where he needs to be in charge, as the only person with a shardblade within probably hundreds of miles? What is supposed to be the advantage of that?

Kaladin has had limited character development, because he has already been forced down enough. Depression is real, man.

I know that depression is real, personal experience. But when the need arises I can still mostly pull myself together to act coherently, despite being not in good shape emotionally. At least for a while, when it's important.

Edited by Rubix
Please use the multiquote button instead of double posting.

Why shouldnt he? Why should he go incognito as an escaped slave/deserter darkeye? What is supposed to be the advantage of that?

First, you know how he used to feel about lighteyes. A man doens't get over deeply ingrained prejudice in a day, and while he may have learned to not hate them, he still doens't feel comfortable being one.

Second, a little less unconfortable questions if he keeps it hidden.

Plus, if he went with light eyes and with a shardblade what stops the thug you think is waiting for him from killing him with a club to the skull like you think could happen in the current scenario?

EDIT: On depression: he seems mostly keeping together. It is not like there appears to be any battle going on.

Edited by DreamEternal

Also radiants are still viewed negatively. Going into a situation where you could be surrounded by people holding a deep seated fear and hatred for a group that is indoctrinated into their very religion is pretty problematic. it was hard enough in the warcamps with a highprince on your side. Imagine solo. 

I think when a bunch of voidbringers is going rampant people will forget about their prejudices rather quickly, when a guy with a glowing shardblade shows up.

Also, shouldn't the king or Dalinar have given him a document that gives him full requisition rights and the authority to be in charge of the defense against voidbringers or other calamities that follow the storm? Why didn't they at least fix him a Captain's uniform. Was sending him home incognito, as a common soldier  a deliberate choice by Dalinar, Elhokar and himself?

Because he left as soon as possible, and neither Dalinar nor the king may have the authority to give him full requisition rights. Not in Sadeas princedom.

Plus, if he sees rampaging voidbringers threatening civilians and probably even soldiers he will summon his blade. Best to play safe at first.

Edited by DreamEternal

I think when a bunch of voidbringers is going rampant people will forget about their prejudices rather quickly, when a guy with a glowing shardblade shows up.

Also, shouldn't the king or Dalinar have given him a document that gives him full requisition rights and the authority to be in charge of the defense against voidbringers or other calamities that follow the storm? Why didn't they at least fix him a Captain's uniform. Was sending him home incognito, as a common soldier  a deliberate choice by Dalinar, Elhokar and himself?

If that was the scenario sure, but that isnt the situation. There are no voidbringers around for him to go all superhero against. All the people would see is horrible evil glowy things killing everyone, and then much later a new thing who is all glowy showing up. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Kaladin apparently went on this trip unarmed, apparently even without his combat knife (???).

He doesn't glow if he is not using stormlight. His eyes go light when he summons his blade,but that the eye colour of a darkeyes changes to light when he bonds a normal shardblade is common folklore, and very likely nobody in Hearthstone has seen a shardblade close up to be able to tell that Syl's blade is something else than a normal shardblade.

So if he summons the blade they would simply assume he is a normal shardbearer.

I know that depression is real, personal experience. But when the need arises I can still mostly pull myself together to act coherently, despite being not in good shape emotionally. At least for a while, when it's important.

Brilliant. Lots and lots of people with depression can't do that no matter how important it is.

I don't even think Kaladin is that emo is this chapter. We all know he's crap at dealing with failure, but he IS keeping it together to deal with the important aftermath of failing to beat the storm and investigate the one place people are likely to go to hide. That guard is NOT capturing him, Kaladin has an instant shardblade but going in guns blazing is, I find, very rarely a good way to gauge a situation, and what's the poor guard done to deserve a beating? If Kal produced Syl, why wouldn't the guard attack him and basically force Kaladin to hurt him

Kaladin apparently went on this trip unarmed, apparently even without his combat knife (???).

He doesn't glow if he is not using stormlight. His eyes go light when he summons his blade,but that the eye colour of a darkeyes changes to light when he bonds a normal shardblade is common folklore, and very likely nobody in Hearthstone has seen a shardblade close up to be able to tell that Syl's blade is something else than a normal shardblade.

With slave brands. Again, too many more uncomfortable questions. Plus, most would probably think he took it from an officer killed by the storm or the voidbringers, so he would become a desertor with nuclear launch codes instead of a normal desertor.

Plus, just because he is gloomy does not mean he does not care. I don't get why you keep making that assumption.

Edited by DreamEternal

When in the book has there ever been a shardbearer whose eye colors change immediately from dark to light and then back?

edit: and i do not mean the week or so i believe it took moash to bond to his blade and then his eyes to lighten. Kal's turns immediate blue, and then after a few hours brown

Edited by Pathfinder

When in the book has there ever been a shardbearer whose eye colors change immediately from dark to light and then back?

I think he meant darkeyes who gained shardblades are so rare most people would just assume that is what happens instead of thinking he is a Radiant.

Poster above: Yes.

Edited by DreamEternal

the lowlives wouldn't know the combat knife is a shardblade. All shardblades to their knowledge are huge buster swords and have never been in any other form. Shallan had commented on the knives her father gave her brothers looked design wise like mini shardblades, but didn't think for a second that a mini shard blade was actually possible. 

Ok. As for why he wouldn't go all Lighteyes, not being Lighteyes was a factor (not the main one) for refusing a Shardblade TWICE. There is no way he is getting over that psychological barrier any time soon

Then why does he go back home to save his parents, possibly others and then, according to Dalinar s request to the capital to save what can be saved.

If there are voidbringers to be fought, he will have to use the blade, so a disguise as darkeyes is pretty inevitably going to fail.