Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The right to keep and bear arms is constitutionally guaranteed; the right to buy ammunition for said arms is not. Heavily restricting ammo purchases until after successful completion of a firearms safety course could fall in a grey area, though it could also be a workable solution. 

I would be satisfied with this.  Have all the guns you want, but you can't have anything to fire from them until you have demonstrated that you are not a moron.  Mass shootings aside, an absurd number of people die every year due to accidental discharges.  Things that could be prevented by taking a class in Firearms For Dummies.

10 hours ago, Claincy said:

I hold the typical Australian view of America's gun laws. Very glad ours are different :/

It's not ideal when someone has reason to ask you "When were you last well?" It doesn't improve things any when the answer is "I don't know."

So now that I'm not really tired it occurs to me that those sentences look like they're related. They're not. The second line was a comment on my health, not a comment on America's gun laws. I definitely could have phrased that better.

Ah, gun laws. I definitely agree they should be better regulated, but I also agre with everything Twi has said (e.g. a gun ban would be impractical). I think the biggest issue with the debate is that there's too many people vying for extreme measures- either "Everybody gets a gun! Guns in every supermarket!" or "No guns anywhere! Those who own guns are the devil incarnate!" Like anything else in politics, it desintegrates into name-calling and repetitive, flawed arguments.

In other news, I've got a cold. It's not fun.

15 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

Ah, gun laws. I definitely agree they should be better regulated, but I also agre with everything Twi has said (e.g. a gun ban would be impractical). I think the biggest issue with the debate is that there's too many people vying for extreme measures- either "Everybody gets a gun! Guns in every supermarket!" or "No guns anywhere! Those who own guns are the devil incarnate!" Like anything else in politics, it desintegrates into name-calling and repetitive, flawed arguments.

In other news, I've got a cold. It's not fun.

I think this is a large problem in American politics in general. Most people who have an opinion on political issues take a stance at one end of the spectrum of possible options, think anyone who holds the opposite position is the Antichrist, and refuse to compromise AT ALL. It's not just a problem with the gun control issue but with many other issues as well.

I just found out that not only was my short term disability claim not extended (despite the fact that we're merely continuing the same treatment that I was put on when this began), but it's due to information not being provided that we could have easily provided had they storming called us back even one time during the month it was being worked on.  Incompetence drives me mad enough, but when it has the potential to cost me my income, that's unforgivable.

The appeals process is crazy too, but we're probably going to have to jump through all their hoops and hopefully get paid again in a month or two when that completes (at least they'll cover back pay if we do successfully appeal it).

jW

@Jondesu that reminds me of situations in Polish administration where they sometimes try to give a person without a leg or two the status of temporally disabled. Like if the legs could grow back o.O I hear about it in the news almost once a year...

14 hours ago, Mestiv said:

@Jondesu that reminds me of situations in Polish administration where they sometimes try to give a person without a leg or two the status of temporally disabled. Like if the legs could grow back o.O I hear about it in the news almost once a year...

I always thought that's a joke/urban myth. But I wouldn't me too surprised if it really happened.

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

I always thought that's a joke/urban myth. But I wouldn't me too surprised if it really happened.

I've heard it on Fakty TVN and not on the April Fools, so unfortunately, this was not a joke :/ 

On 7/5/2016 at 3:51 PM, Silverblade5 said:

@everyone 

Pro/con essay I did on gun control for a class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16unN3VVoT85BRk4DVwCV_uO130T6XZ3kVH-Jcqa1R30/edit

Probably a complete piece of crap, but whatever, my two cents.

For those who it may concern, I hadn't realized that link sharing had been off at the time this was posted. It should be on now. If you still want to view, here is the link.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16unN3VVoT85BRk4DVwCV_uO130T6XZ3kVH-Jcqa1R30/edit?usp=sharing

More random panic-induced rambling: 

Spoiler

My supervisor would've have said I was a good librarian if he thought I should be let go at the end of my probation. He wouldn't have scheduled me for an evening shift alone with another newbie who just started last week if he thought I should be let go. That sort of thing doesn't happen. 

Okay. Better now. 

31 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Reveal hidden contents

My supervisor would've have said I was a good librarian if he thought I should be let go at the end of my probation. He wouldn't have scheduled me for an evening shift alone with another newbie who just started last week if he thought I should be let go. That sort of thing doesn't happen. 

Okay. Better now. 

Yeah, the unconscious mind is crazy!

6 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Hide contents

Okay. Better now. 

Correct. In fact those are seriously good signs that he thinks you're highly competent. 

5 hours ago, Briar King said:

3 straight days of horror. 1 in my state. Baton Rouge, Minneapolis,............Dallas. Holy hell Dallas. My god

I just heard about Dallas. They had snipers. Who the hell does that? 

Spoiler

Edit: Wanting to know more, I turned on NPR. With the other two shooting deaths in the past couple of days, the coverage had been very detailed, memorializing the victims and thoroughly describing what good people they were. I expected the same for the Dallas victims.

Hahaha no.

They gave a quick rundown of what had happened, emphasizing again and again that it had been a peaceful protest. Fair enough; if it began peacefully, that just makes the ending all the more tragic. But then, after those bare facts had been shared, they went back to describing the Baton Rouge victim! Five police officers were shot in cold blood, and they're not worth a eulogy? The only thing that matters is the victim of a shooting a thousand miles away? You realize that those men and women had families and lives and were probably also good people, just like the men shot in Baton Rouge and Minneapolis? Why don't they get the benefit of an on-air funeral, NPR? What the storming hell?

Maybe the coverage will improve later. I don't know. Right now I'm too angry to see.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Hide contents

Edit: Wanting to know more, I turned on NPR. With the other two shooting deaths in the past couple of days, the coverage had been very detailed, memorializing the victims and thoroughly describing what good people they were. I expected the same for the Dallas victims.

Hahaha no.

They gave a quick rundown of what had happened, emphasizing again and again that it had been a peaceful protest. Fair enough; if it began peacefully, that just makes the ending all the more tragic. But then, after those bare facts had been shared, they went back to describing the Baton Rouge victim! Five police officers were shot in cold blood, and they're not worth a eulogy? The only thing that matters is the victim of a shooting a thousand miles away? You realize that those men and women had families and lives and were probably also good people, just like the men shot in Baton Rouge and Minneapolis? Why don't they get the benefit of an on-air funeral, NPR? What the storming hell?

Maybe the coverage will improve later. I don't know. Right now I'm too angry to see.

Maybe they were still gathering information? I was listening to NPR last night and I never heard about it, even though they talked plenty about the other two. So I'm assuming this happened very recently. I'm sure they will do much more for All Things Considered tonight.

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Hide contents

Hahaha no.

Oh, rest assured.  These were cops.  There will be long, detailed stories about their families and achievements.

49 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Maybe they were still gathering information? I was listening to NPR last night and I never heard about it, even though they talked plenty about the other two. So I'm assuming this happened very recently. I'm sure they will do much more for All Things Considered tonight.

It was pretty recent, and they might. Argh. I'm just sick of people using this as an excuse to shame police--and one of my Facebook friends did that. "Violence begets violence," he said. I had to explain to him that none of the Dallas officers were even present for the Baton Rouge and Minneapolis shootings, so opening fire on Dallas officers is nothing more than shooting innocents for something they had nothing to do with. This is not a time to shame police, people. This is a tragedy. 

The burn healing process, after having gone on for two weeks, has now reached the "oozing" stage.

Stupid second degree oven burns.  This is why I don't usually bake, people - because the blood sacrifice necessary just isn't worth it.

20 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

No.

That is a terrible idea.

Why would you do that?

Not usually baking people? So you don't want us to do that, which means double negative, so... usually baking people. Right, I'm off to make a gingerbread man then. You want a piece Kaymyth?

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Not usually baking people? So you don't want us to do that, which means double negative, so... usually baking people. Right, I'm off to make a gingerbread man then. You want a piece Kaymyth?

You are both terrible people, and you should feel bad. :P

Couldn't you solve the american gun issue by just giving everyone a keep and a pair of bear arms, and then banning all the guns?

I mean, guns are pretty hard to use with bear arms, so it might all work out anyway.

Edit: How much is a keep these days?

Edited by Eki