Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

Just came from counseling. Wanted to get up and walk out the entire time (no specific reason, just a constant urge). He and my wife both seemed to talk a lot about how I seem like I'm more positive and engaged in what's going on, but my head is screaming at me SO WHY DO YOU STILL FEEL SO BAD!

Done.

jW

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, @Delightful

So I'm not the only one living with Random Number God? I mean, one time my mother is nice and everything, then she's upset about something and she looks for somebody to unload and then storm starts and everyone's yelling and I just want it to end... It was particularly bad when the company she worked for was in downfall. *Shivers*
Additionaly she is often despotical.

My sister is also quite a arguing person. Add the fact that my mother and my sister seem to react allergically to each other's reprimands... On one day I have a very nice family, on another I have hell's kitchen for a home. Life.getRandom();

11 hours ago, Delightful said:

The problem with that is that half the time my mum is great, and I can't tell when she's been bitten by the cranky bug until it's too late.  And then when I'm quiet or whatever I just get these big sighs  

She just told me I shouldn't get a job (that I've been offered!) that would involve major life change b while I'm planning major life change a, for no logic, just because "I don't think you can do it".  

Maybe I can, maybe I can't but it needs thinking through! 

And like dude, so you think I'm incapable fine, but I'm not going to get any *more* capable by avoiding anything difficult and sitting at home twiddling my thumbs all day! 

And maybe if she was in a good mood she would think i could do it I have no idea. 

You can do anything, I love you and you are fabulous :D you are the best sister ever. If you want the job, if you want to do something awesome, do it! You can do anything you set your mind to.:) 

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, @Delightful

So I'm not the only one living with Random Number God? I mean, one time my mother is nice and everything, then she's upset about something and she looks for somebody to unload and then storm starts and everyone's yelling and I just want it to end... It was particularly bad when the company she worked for was in downfall. *Shivers*
Additionaly she is often despotical.

My sister is also quite a arguing person. Add the fact that my mother and my sister seem to react allergically to each other's reprimands... On one day I have a very nice family, on another I have hell's kitchen for a home. Life.getRandom();

Sadly, no you are not. It's at the point where I think bad parents are more common than the good ones. -_- 

43 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

@Oversleep, @Delightful, @TwiLyghtSansSparkles Why is it that it's the mothers that are the reason of most of those stories? :huh:

That's a very good question. :mellow: 

Today I had a Calculus test. I gave up without answering even one question. Yay me <_<. It isn't the only discipline I am going horribly at.

And it is not even because I find Calculus that hard, it is because I couldn't find the focus to study and couldn't care. Because I enough of a genius to enter one of the hardest to enter courses of one of the hardest to enter universities in Brazil, yet even better at being useless. If there was a way to measure wasted potential, I am quite sure I'd be one of the top ten...

And yes, I am fully aware of how masterfully I've mixed arrogance and self-depreciation like I was some kind of fallen demigod, instead of a miserably pathetic young adult aboding deep in very undeserved self-pity. Whatever, I like to feel like my woes are actually meaningful once in a while.

Edited by DreamEternal

36 minutes ago, DreamEternal said:

Today I had a Calculus test. I gave up without answering even one question. Yay me <_<. It isn't the only discipline I am going horribly at.

And it is not even because I find Calculus that hard, it is because I couldn't find the focus to study and couldn't care. Because I enough of a genius to enter one of the hardest to enter courses of one of the hardest to enter universities in Brazil, yet even better at being useless. If there was a way to measure wasted potential, I am quite sure I'd be one of the top ten...

And yes, I am fully aware of how masterfully I've mixed arrogance and self-depreciation like I was some kind of fallen demigod, instead of a miserably pathetic young adult aboding deep in very undeserved self-pity. Whatever, I like to feel like my woes are actually meaningful once in a while.

Actually, it's pretty normal. You don't have to study for things so you don't, so you don't know how to study when you do need to, right? 

27 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Actually, it's pretty normal. You don't have to study for things so you don't, so you don't know how to study when you do need to, right? 

I wish it was as simple as that. Well, actually I don't, as it would make me feel almost normal <_<.

But yes, that is like, at least 40% of the problem. Most of the rest can be blamed on my depression making it easier to be apathetic, pessimistic and lacking in perspectives for the future, and my current priorities being elsewhere.

2 hours ago, DreamEternal said:

This is a remarkably common phenomenon with high-intelligence kids.  It's not just you.  This is a pattern, and it speaks more to a failing of the education system in general than you yourself.

2 hours ago, DreamEternal said:

6 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

This is a remarkably common phenomenon with high-intelligence kids.  It's not just you.  This is a pattern, and it speaks more to a failing of the education system in general than you yourself.

She's right. When I had to take math classes—anything more advanced than pre-algebra—I found it really hard to study, too. I think it's because I knew I wasn't going to enter a career where I'd need to use that kind of math, and I wasn't good at it, so I felt like I was already going to fail, and I didn't have any real motivation to study. It was the same deal with classes I thought were too involved, too overcomplicated, like the European History and Politics class where the final paper made us support our arguments with twenty-five sources minimum. But in classes where I felt like I had a fair chance, and where I was genuinely interested, I excelled. 

8 hours ago, DreamEternal said:

6 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

5 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

She's right. When I had to take math classes—anything more advanced than pre-algebra—I found it really hard to study, too. I think it's because I knew I wasn't going to enter a career where I'd need to use that kind of math, and I wasn't good at it, so I felt like I was already going to fail, and I didn't have any real motivation to study. It was the same deal with classes I thought were too involved, too overcomplicated, like the European History and Politics class where the final paper made us support our arguments with twenty-five sources minimum. But in classes where I felt like I had a fair chance, and where I was genuinely interested, I excelled. 

I'm not alone

Motivation was a huge problem for me this last school year, especially moving from a school where I had some really good classes and teachers to one where I was stuck in the remedial math class and with teachers that basically gave up on actually teaching.

On the subject of doing badly on tests because of not studying--I totally feel you. I succeeded easily pretty much until I graduated high school; in general, I could learn things once and remember them without having to go back and study. Enter college. Suddenly they're trying to cram much more unfamiliar information into my brain than before, and said info is more complicated, and I'm juggling a job with finding time to actually go take the tests outside of class time in the testing center, and it's just crazy. So it's not a unique problem or proof of you being a failure, DreamEternal.

^Everyone up - that's how I failed almost all of my courses this semester. I have to take a dean's leave, essentially retaking the whole year.

Well, maybe this time around I can learn those things properly as I already know a little?

I almost never studied in high school. Not necessarily a bad thing; after all, my grades on average went up steadily over my high school career. 

Which is why, even though I'm excited for college, I'm also mildly terrified. :wacko:

Edited by Slowswift

7 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I almost never studied in high school. Not necessarily a bad thing; after all, my grades on average went up steadily over my high school career. 

Which is why, even though I'm excited for college, I'm also mildly terrified. :wacko:

They do treat you like an adult there. I loved it—no teachers breathing down my neck, no pointless assemblies, no requirements to stay until the end of the hour after a test. There are some profs who act like they're still teaching high school, but in my experience, the ones who throw a hissy fit because their class packed up their supplies 5 minutes early are few and far between, and hated. 

On the other hand, it's very much sink or swim. If you need help, you have to ask for it, because your prof will most likely not approach you and ask if you're okay. Remembering homework assignments is your responsibility. 

So, basically, college is an exercise in adulting. If you can adult consistently, you'll do fine. 

5 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Same. :P

It was harder in some ways, as the workload increased, but it also could be done at my own pace. 

As you may remember me and my fiancée run a temporary house for cats. One of our cats most likely has panleukopenia virus :( it's a very contagious virus, dangerous mostly to young kittens. Tobi has 12 weeks and he's very weak :( he has 41°C while healthy cats have up to 38... We're currently in line to vet, to make blood transfusion, apply antibiotics and IV. 

What's worse, we're practically out of money :( this month was full of expenses and we're left with something around 100$ for the next week... and we have a visit with another cat this Monday that will cost us around 40$ :/ and we still have to eat, the cats have to eat... I really hope that our Facebook friends and followers will help us, as my credit card is used up :(

Anyway, currently it's most important to help Tobi survive, no matter the costs... If he'll survive this virus I'm gonna give him second name: Kelsier! 

23 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

As you may remember me and my fiancée run a temporary house for cats. One of our cats most likely has panleukopenia virus :( it's a very contagious virus, dangerous mostly to young kittens. Tobi has 12 weeks and he's very weak :( he has 41°C while healthy cats have up to 38... We're currently in line to vet, to make blood transfusion, apply antibiotics and IV. 

What's worse, we're practically out of money :( this month was full of expenses and we're left with something around 100$ for the next week... and we have a visit with another cat this Monday that will cost us around 40$ :/ and we still have to eat, the cats have to eat... I really hope that our Facebook friends and followers will help us, as my credit card is used up :(

Anyway, currently it's most important to help Tobi survive, no matter the costs... If he'll survive this virus I'm gonna give him second name: Kelsier! 

Oh no. :( I'm sorry, that sounds like a really awful situation. I hope Tobi recovers quickly and becomes the Survivor or Panleukopenia. :wacko: