Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

10 minutes ago, Delightful said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles Yeah, that's exactly it. It would create far more work for my parents if I did my own laundry and made my own food. I haven't done the paying bills part yet but that's about it.

So this just went down:

Me:  Why is Mum so angry at me? What the hell?

Dad: blah blah blah Because you go do your own thing.

Me: Ok, seriously, what exactly is wrong with doing my own thing?

Dad: Nothing, except when you don't coordinate with other people. Look, you're overthinking all this.

Me: I'm not overthinking, I'm being yelled at and I want to know why. Give me an example of when I didnt adequately coordinate because I don't know what you're talking about.

Dad: The other night when you went out sewing. [This is a regular class I've been going to for like a month and a half now. Family members voluntarily provide transport because I dont drive yet]

Me: Huh? What didn't I coordinate?

Dad: Dinner, and who would be taking you.

Me: I called you during the day to organise lifts. And there was nothing to organise with dinner. [It was self-assembled wraps so I put one together early and ate it just before I left, before everyone else had dinner. I also waited to the last moment to make sure everyone wasn't going to have dinner together in time for me to leave, and like, be on time to something I've committed to.]

Dad: You're over thinking this. Why do you keep arguing?

(This is where my mum would have inserted "Yes well you always have an answer for everything).

This ended with me saying "ok, I'm done with mixed messages, when you actually figure out what I'm doing wrong, then let me know"

it's literally

YOU ARE ACCUSED OF X

okaayyy, bring me proof of x.

WE HAVE NO PROOF. STOP BEING SO SENSITIVE. CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE. BE MORE INDEPENDENT. YOU FAIL AT INDEPENDANCE. STOP DOING YOUR OWN THING. STOP ARGUING. 

What the actual hell am I supposed to do.

If you're okay with strong language, I can recommend some songs I listen to when I'm angry with my parents. :ph34r:

Aside from that, it sounds like your parents have a pretty strong case of ParentalEntitleitis, believed to be caused by parents believing their age and experience entitles them to be correct in every situation involving their offspring, even if evidence objectively points to them being wrong. Sadly, the most advanced scientists studying the topic were unable to find a cure, leaving adult and teenage offspring to treat their parents' cases symptomatically. Even this, however, has produced inconsistent results, where some parents respond well and others simply become more enraged. 

The best treatment seems to be ignoring the illness. When offspring pretend their parents are always correct in everything, there have been reports of said parents becoming deluded enough to not notice their offspring taking more independence for themselves. 

8 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

If you're okay with strong language, I can recommend some songs I listen to when I'm angry with my parents. :ph34r:

Aside from that, it sounds like your parents have a pretty strong case of ParentalEntitleitis, believed to be caused by parents believing their age and experience entitles them to be correct in every situation involving their offspring, even if evidence objectively points to them being wrong. Sadly, the most advanced scientists studying the topic were unable to find a cure, leaving adult and teenage offspring to treat their parents' cases symptomatically. Even this, however, has produced inconsistent results, where some parents respond well and others simply become more enraged. 

The best treatment seems to be ignoring the illness. When offspring pretend their parents are always correct in everything, there have been reports of said parents becoming deluded enough to not notice their offspring taking more independence for themselves. 

See but if I keep quiet and apologise for everything that I'm accused of, then I'm being insincere and arrogant and I have a 'terrible attitude'.

And please, reccommend away. I need new music anyway. :)

Edited by Delightful

23 minutes ago, Delightful said:

See but if I keep quiet and apologise for everything I'm accused of then I'm being insincere and arrogant and I have a terrible attitude.

And please, reccommend away. I need new music anyway. :)

Ah, yes. Guilty until proven innocent, with the burden of proof resting on you. <_<

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"--The Offspring (explicit)

"Teenagers"--My Chemical Romance (explicit)

"I Don't Care"--Apocalyptica

"I Hate Everything About You"--Three Days Grace

"Riot"--Three Days Grace (explicit)

"Roar"--Katy Perry

i can get more later, if you need them  

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Ah, yes. Guilty until proven innocent, with the burden of proof resting on you. <_<

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"--The Offspring (explicit)

"Teenagers"--My Chemical Romance (explicit)

"I Don't Care"--Apocalyptica

"I Hate Everything About You"--Three Days Grace

"Riot"--Three Days Grace (explicit)

"Roar"--Katy Perry

i can get more later, if you need them  

That would be very much appreciated if its not too much work :).

And to top it all off, my phone is refusing to charge for no apparent reason whatsoever. yay!

20 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

And when you are really really angry: Let the bodies hit the floor - Drowning Pool ;)

You know, I've seen that song quoted places and I've heard that one line sung but...I've never actually listened to it. Might have to change that. ;)

Edit: No no no no no no no I accidentally switched to the Israeli itunes store and when I switched back all my downloaded music is gone! Do I really have to go find every single song I had and re-download it all again? :o:(:(:(

Edit 2: Music problem solved! Thank G-D for iCloud! 

Edited by Delightful

10 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I've got it on my phone, haven't listened yet. Will report back when I have. :)

Oh! Speaking of music, here are some more songs….

"Welcome to My Life," "Me Against the World," "I'm Just a Kid"—Simple Plan
"I Will Not Bow"—Breaking Benjamin
"I Won't Back Down"—Johnny Cash, though it's a cover of a Tom Petty Song; both versions are good but I prefer Cash's 
"In The End," "Numb"—Linkin Park
"Heart Shaped Box"—Nirvana
"Headstrong"—Trapt (explicit) 
"Everybody's Fool"—Evanescence 
"Behind Closed Doors"—Rise Against
"False Pretense"—Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
"The Red"—Chevelle
"The Pretender"—Foo Fighters
"To the Wolves"—Anberlin 
"Brand New Day"—Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

And, when you're frustrated and miserable and just want to feel like a gleeful supervillain…..

"I Can't Decide"—Scissor Sisters (explicit) 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Oh! Speaking of music, here are some more songs….

"Welcome to My Life," "Me Against the World," "I'm Just a Kid"—Simple Plan
"I Will Not Bow"—Breaking Benjamin
"I Won't Back Down"—Johnny Cash, though it's a cover of a Tom Petty Song; both versions are good but I prefer Cash's 
"In The End," "Numb"—Linkin Park
"Heart Shaped Box"—Nirvana
"Headstrong"—Trapt (explicit) 
"Everybody's Fool"—Evanescence 
"Behind Closed Doors"—Rise Against
"False Pretense"—Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
"The Red"—Chevelle
"The Pretender"—Foo Fighters
"To the Wolves"—Anberlin 

And, when you're frustrated and miserable and just want to feel like a gleeful supervillain…..

"I Can't Decide"—Scissor Sisters (explicit) 

Fun fact:  "Everybody's Fool" is basically the perfect theme song for an entire story arc of Angel.  You will almost certainly recognize it when you get to it.

Re music: I recommend anything and everything by Evanescence. I was happier than a seagull with a French fry driving back and forth between Salt Lake City and Provo three days in a row earlier this year for Salt Lake Comic Con because I was jamming out to Evanescence (and singing along) at high volume for most of my driving time.

Another band I loooove is Muse. Probably my favorite album by them is Black Holes and Revelations.

Edited by Sunbird

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

XD it's so good!

I think I knew just about all the lyrics (and most of the other lines) once, still know a lot. I actually cosplayed Dr Horrible once back in High School on a Hero's and Villains free dress day :)

Someone tried to access my Apple ID last night. They failed, but I woke up to the news that I was locked out of my account. Long story short, I couldn't get in for a number of reasons and wound up having to call. Here is a rough transcript of the event. 

Advisor: Thank you for calling Apple today, just let me verify the information you gave me. 
Bruce: Human. 
Me: *verifies information* 
Bruce: Human. 
Advisor: Thank you, let me take a look at your account here. 
Bruce: Huuuuman. 
Me: Thanks. 
Bruce: Human! 
Advisor: I'm going to send you something, tell me what it says? 
Bruce: HUMAN NOTICE ME. 

So, I've learned two things this morning. 
1) Apple security is SRS BZNS. 
2) Bruce doesn't like it when I talk on the phone. 

13 hours ago, Delightful said:

Who invented zippers?!?! 

I never thought I would feel so strongly about zippers. Then I tried to sew one onto something. Aaarrggghh

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles thanks I'll check those out. 

There are tricks that make zippers a little bit easier, but mostly I find them to be horrible, cursed objects that deserve the most vile language I can summon.

7 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

There are tricks that make zippers a little bit easier, but mostly I find them to be horrible, cursed objects that deserve the most vile language I can summon.

Is there a better method of making clothing wearable, or do you just have to grin and bear it and fight the zip?

5 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Is there a better method of making clothing wearable, or do you just have to grin and bear it and fight the zip?

It really depends on what type of garment you're making.  For pants, a fly zipper is really the way to go.  Skirts can go either way.  Shirts (should) never need zippers.

See, one of the advantages to cosplay is that I have yet to be required to insert a zipper into a costume piece. <_<

10 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

It really depends on what type of garment you're making.  For pants, a fly zipper is really the way to go.  Skirts can go either way.  Shirts (should) never need zippers.

See, one of the advantages to cosplay is that I have yet to be required to insert a zipper into a costume piece. <_<

For skirts, you use elastic? What about dresses?

how on earth do you make such elaborate costume pieces without zips? :o 

I'm dreaming of making a havah and was thinking Id need to put a zip down the back but now.......yikes. 

1 minute ago, Delightful said:

For skirts, you use elastic? What about dresses?

how on earth do you make such elaborate costume pieces without zips? :o 

I'm dreaming of making a havah and was thinking Id need to put a zip down the back but now.......yikes. 

Sometimes I use elastic, sometimes snaps or buttons.  Or you can use a combination.  Bustles generally attach with hooks or ties; you can get a lot of mileage out of a simple hook-and-eye setup.

Corsets, though - those are their own interesting beasts.  They're really half sewing, half engineering, and require specialized pieces.  I use a combination of spring steel and spiral steel for the boning, and the front closure is with a corset busk.  It's basically a pair of flat steels with hooks on one, knobs on the other, and its sewn into the front corset pieces.  The back is grommeted and closes with laces; tightening those laces is what gives you a waist reduction.

Corsets are generally a vital base piece to any period costume.  If you're going to be wearing several pounds of fabric in skirts and bustling, you need a solid foundation garment underneath.  The corset actually helps distribute the weight of the skirts so that they're easier to wear, and it smooths out your lines so that the bodice looks good.

For a havah, I'd put a corset on underneath, just because I have teh belly pudge and require some cinching in order to have a waistline.  I think for anyone, though, a basic corset would help keep the lines clean and prevent wrinkling and clumping of the garment.  For closures on the dress, though, I'd have buttons up the front, with the military-esque front piece buttoning over the top of the main closure.

31 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Where do you get the pieces to make a corset?

the books definitely mention buttons up the sides of the havah , I imagine mostly on the torso.  I have no idea if that would practically help wearing it. 

Here's a site that's got some good description and some drawings of a havah:  http://botanicaxu.tumblr.com/post/139649638654/polk1986-botanicaxu-vorin-havah-explained

As for corsetry, unless you're lucky enough to live in a city with a corsetry supply store, obtaining supplies generally requires the internet.  I get a lot of my stuff from Farthingales US, though for Europe I think Vena Cava in the UK is the preferred choice.  I also use online stores like corsetsupplies.com and Richard the Thread to get bits and pieces; really, a lot depends on who has what in stock and at what price at the time.

Corsets are labor-intensive and require a good eye for detail.  Coutil is the fabric of choice for the strength layer; it's expensive, but you generally only need about a half a yard of it for a single corset.  They can be built in 1-3 layers of fabric; an undergarment can be made in a single layer with boning channels sewn on, though I generally prefer at least a double-layer corset.  But you only need one layer to be coutil.  DO NOT WASH COUTIL - it will take out all of the stiffness and sizing.  Corsets are generally spot cleaned; you wouldn't want to put them in the wash anyway with all that steel inside.  And you always want to have a light chemise or camisole in between your skin and the corset, both for comfort and to keep the corset from picking up any oils from your body.

If you've got a well-defined waist, you can probably make a havah look good without the foundation garment.  But I'd never try it without a corset underneath 'cause the first place extra weight goes on me is my stomach.

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

Here's a site that's got some good description and some drawings of a havah:  http://botanicaxu.tumblr.com/post/139649638654/polk1986-botanicaxu-vorin-havah-explained

As for corsetry, unless you're lucky enough to live in a city with a corsetry supply store, obtaining supplies generally requires the internet.  I get a lot of my stuff from Farthingales US, though for Europe I think Vena Cava in the UK is the preferred choice.  I also use online stores like corsetsupplies.com and Richard the Thread to get bits and pieces; really, a lot depends on who has what in stock and at what price at the time.

Corsets are labor-intensive and require a good eye for detail.  Coutil is the fabric of choice for the strength layer; it's expensive, but you generally only need about a half a yard of it for a single corset.  They can be built in 1-3 layers of fabric; an undergarment can be made in a single layer with boning channels sewn on, though I generally prefer at least a double-layer corset.  But you only need one layer to be coutil.  DO NOT WASH COUTIL - it will take out all of the stiffness and sizing.  Corsets are generally spot cleaned; you wouldn't want to put them in the wash anyway with all that steel inside.  And you always want to have a light chemise or camisole in between your skin and the corset, both for comfort and to keep the corset from picking up any oils from your body.

If you've got a well-defined waist, you can probably make a havah look good without the foundation garment.  But I'd never try it without a corset underneath 'cause the first place extra weight goes on me is my stomach.

That's so pretty! Thank you. 

So...you'd  make that front piece semi detachable and step into the havah from there?

I spy safe hands :o 

Edited by Delightful