Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

To the Department of Motor Vehicles, 

I received your letter and found it unduly snitty. Was the "I am unaware of what you are trying to do" really necessary? For that matter, did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, if you made your instructions a bit clearer from the outset, people wouldn't try to do things you don't understand? 

While we're at it, a "road tax" sounds like something you made up to siphon as much money as you can from people who don't really have money to spare. OH WAIT. 

Storm you, 

Twi

So far as I can tell, I'm not going to get fired at the end of my probationary period. 

If there was a problem, they'd tell me. 

Twimom's logic is not embraced by the majority of employers. 

I made it through a similar probationary period at my last job, and I stayed there for two years. 

I'll make it through this one, too. 

…..

Sorry. Just needed to give myself a pep talk. 

10 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

Probationary periods are to make sure you don't flake out to go do drugs after getting some money. So you should be fine if you arrive at work, don't do drugs and don't eat sushi. :P

I ate sushi last night….but it was in my free time and I never introduced myself as an employee of the library, so I should be okay. :ph34r: 

4 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

What would a couple of beers do? 

Depends on the beer, I suppose. 

A couple of porters would make for a fun evening.

IPAs will summon a horde of hipsters.

Bock will summon a horde of nationalists.

A lager will earn you a stern look of disapproval from me.

A pilsner would indicate that you have given up on your dreams and are now biding your time until death ends this face known as life.

2 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

Depends on the beer, I suppose. 

A couple of porters would make for a fun evening.

IPAs will summon a horde of hipsters.

Bock will summon a horde of nationalists.

A lager will earn you a stern look of disapproval from me.

A pilsner would indicate that you have given up on your dreams and are now biding your time until death ends this face known as life.

We had a couple of specialty IPAs….which in retrospect does explain the one-man band who started playing around 9. :mellow: 

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Ah man the actor who plays Checoff(sp) in new Trek films died

Yeah, Anton Yelchin. I heard about that. Apparently it was a freak car accident, very sad. I really like his portrayal of Chekov.

Mother: we don't believe you can do X because of xyz. 

Me: xyz are invalid arguments because abc. 

Mum: xyz still stand. you always have an answer for everything. 

(Maybe because you're wrong?)

me: how can I convince you I can do X?

mum: you can't. 

Me: so basically you think ill be incapable forever?

mum: these conversations never go anywhere let's drop this. 

:l

and I feel crap about everything today to begin with. 

Edited by Delightful

48 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Hurray for parents, that pretend to have valid argument while in reality they just want you to obey them. <_< Are there any chances of doing X in secret?

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

Hurray for parents, that pretend to have valid argument while in reality they just want you to obey them. <_< Are there any chances of doing X in secret?

It's something big that I'm determined to do regardless, it would just be easier with maximum parental support. 

3 hours ago, Delightful said:

I'm sorry. I know how that feels. :( Just keep working toward X, and when your mom gets snitty about it, repeat my mantra in your mind: 

Shhh. I'm about to defy you. :ph34r: 

34 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm sorry. I know how that feels. :( Just keep working toward X, and when your mom gets snitty about it, repeat my mantra in your mind: 

Shhh. I'm about to defy you. :ph34r: 

:D

she doesn't disagree she just doesn't think I'm capable

So more like shh I'm gonna prove you wrong. 

:P

So this is independence related, and the thing is, when I have to be independent my coping skills increase exponentially fast. When I'm at home that slows waaay down because I'm not doing as much by myself. So my mum essentially sees me at my worst, and doesn't believe I can be at my best. 

The worst is, a small part of me wonders if she's right and I'm destined to suck forever. Out damnation weasels! I can do scary things when I have scary things to do! 

Edited by Delightful

6 minutes ago, Delightful said:

:D

she doesn't disagree she just doesn't think I'm capable

So more like shh I'm gonna prove you wrong. 

:P

So this is independence related, and the thing is, when I have to be independent my coping skills increase exponentially fast. When I'm at home that slows waaay down because I'm not doing as much by myself. So my mum essentially sees me at my worst, and doesn't believe I can be at my best. 

The worst is, a small part of me wonders if she's right and I'm destined to suck forever. Out damnation weasels! I can do scary things when I have scary things to do! 

Accurate, sure, but I'm about to defy you is more fun. :P 

And, again, I totally get it. That's how Twimom was when I was living at home. By the time I left, I knew how to do my own laundry, cook my own meals, clean a bathroom, clean a kitchen, pay bills, schedule an appointment, spot a scam, and all of the other adulting things adults do. But since I was living at home, those were things Twimom and Twidad usually took care of or oversaw, giving them a handy way of dismissing my skills or initiative. "Oh, please. I do everything around here—you don't even wash your own laundry!" Well, maybe if you'd let me instead of insisting on doing everything…. <_< 

Of course, once I moved 2,300 miles away, all of those tasks fell to me. And I'm doing just fine. Heck, I manage to make some pretty good meals in a kitchen that's smaller than most bathrooms. So, Twimom was wrong. Again. 

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles Yeah, that's exactly it. It would create far more work for my parents if I did my own laundry and made my own food. I haven't done the paying bills part yet but that's about it.

So this just went down:

Me:  Why is Mum so angry at me? What the hell?

Dad: blah blah blah Because you go do your own thing.

Me: Ok, seriously, what exactly is wrong with doing my own thing?

Dad: Nothing, except when you don't coordinate with other people. Look, you're overthinking all this.

Me: I'm not overthinking, I'm being yelled at and I want to know why. Give me an example of when I didnt adequately coordinate because I don't know what you're talking about.

Dad: The other night when you went out sewing. [This is a regular class I've been going to for like a month and a half now. Family members voluntarily provide transport because I dont drive yet]

Me: Huh? What didn't I coordinate?

Dad: Dinner, and who would be taking you.

Me: I called you during the day to organise lifts. And there was nothing to organise with dinner. [It was self-assembled wraps so I put one together early and ate it just before I left, before everyone else had dinner. I also waited to the last moment to make sure everyone wasn't going to have dinner together in time for me to leave, and like, be on time to something I've committed to.]

Dad: You're over thinking this. Why do you keep arguing?

(This is where my mum would have inserted "Yes well you always have an answer for everything).

This ended with me saying "ok, I'm done with mixed messages, when you actually figure out what I'm doing wrong, then let me know"

it's literally

YOU ARE ACCUSED OF X

okaayyy, bring me proof of x.

WE HAVE NO PROOF. STOP BEING SO SENSITIVE. CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE. BE MORE INDEPENDENT. YOU FAIL AT INDEPENDANCE. STOP DOING YOUR OWN THING. STOP ARGUING. 

What the actual hell am I supposed to do.

Edited by Delightful