Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

Someone is hacking my WIFI... They downloaded an incredibly high amount of data: luckily, they haven't busted our monthly allowance and we found out quick enough.

I strongly suspect it's one of the teenagers next door: it can't be someone living very far away. My other neighbors are either elderly people or a young family. 

It started right after Christmas: Santa bought someone a new phone, but the parents aren't paying for an Internet connection, so they hacked ours.

Do you think I should try to talk to the parents? I have no proof... but I mean... it can't be the old 80 years old lady living back door. If it were my kids, I'd want to know, but then they may take it badly I am accusing their teenagers... but who else?

Yeah trying just that tonight... Apparently there is a virus as well disguised as phone. So perhaps it isn't the teenagers next door.

The little bit of me that is a Skybreaker says get a computer expert and either nab them for some sort of Internet crime, or simply spam their computer.

Someone is hacking my WIFI... They downloaded an incredibly high amount of data: luckily, they haven't busted our monthly allowance and we found out quick enough.

Your monthly allowance? o.O Is it WiFi connected to internet by mobile data plan or something? Or is it just american thing to limit your internet traffic for no reason at all to make you pay more?

Yeah trying just that tonight... Apparently there is a virus as well disguised as phone. So perhaps it isn't the teenagers next door. 

What kind of encryption (if any) have you set on your access point? If it's not WPA2 than than you should change it to WPA2 (with AES). Other encryptions like WEP and WPA are currently not considered secured and there are tools for chacking them.

Your monthly allowance? o.O Is it WiFi connected to internet by mobile data plan or something? Or is it just american thing to limit your internet traffic for no reason at all to make you pay more?

In the US, internet provides place caps on the amount of data you can use, much like phone carriers. Unlike phone carriers however, who will jump from 10GB to Unlimited (which isn't really unlimited, read your contracts), the cap is so grossly huge that most people will never hit it unless they spend every second of the monthly period downloading movies, and even then you might not hit the ceiling. 

Maxal, however, does not live in the US, she lives in Canada, a country whose internet practices I cannot attest to.

Edited by Blaze1616

In the US, internet provides place caps on the amount of data you can use, much like phone carriers. Unlike phone carriers however, who will jump from 10GB to Unlimited (which isn't really unlimited, read your contracts), the cap is so grossly huge that most people will never hit it unless they spend every second of the monthly period downloading movies, and even then you might not hit the ceiling. 

Maxal, however, does not live in the US, she lives in Canada, a country whose internet practices I cannot attest to.

Checking my smartphone alone, it's data counter for WiFi shows over 19Gb since 10.12.2015, so I think if I combine that with my PC I can easily go up to 50Gb a month (watching 1080p streaming content takes it's toll on the connection) and I'm not living alone, my girlfriend is a heavy internet user too. Luckily, in Poland ISPs don't put any limits on the amount of data we use :)

Anyway, I have to agree, that most people will hardly ever exceed 10Gb.

When I say a lot, I mean ridiculous amounts, like multi-TBs. It's essentially not capped, but again if you were to spend every second of the period torrenting movies in 4k you just might hit it, maybe. As for phones, it's per-month (same with cable, internet, and home phone services). So you using 19GB since December would mean you'd need an Unlimited Data plan here in the States.

You know those days where it's so busy you can barely keep up, and you're certain you're THIS close to screaming incoherently at the next person to call with a trivial question....and then someone calls with a trivial question that they treat like the most important question any customer has ever asked?

Yeah. Having one of those days. -_-

You know those days where it's so busy you can barely keep up, and you're certain you're THIS close to screaming incoherently at the next person to call with a trivial question....and then someone calls with a trivial question that they treat like the most important question any customer has ever asked?

:(

*hugs*

I found another photo of today's sunset courtesy of Facebook, if that'll make you feel better?

12485935_1217239328304235_18467478819275

I have a limited number of data I am allowed to download every month hence I have to pay an extra fee. The more I bust, the more I pay and it isn't as if they send you a notice before hand, just the bill.

My husband found a dumb virus who appeared as a cell phone onto the router (or made us think someone was hick-jacking our Internet connection with his cell) which continually downloads data... We're going to try to get rid of it tonight.

So it wasn't the teenagers next door, but for a while we saw another router connected to our own... My husband admitted he forgot to change the default password  :ph34r: It is done now: a very secure one.

Soo... this could have been your theme song? (Starts about one minute in, and be forewarned, oh children of the Shard, there are plenty of swears! Like... a bunch...We're talking R for language. Great stuff, but there you have it. Art is not determined by Puritan decrees, but I am honorbound to at least warn yeh ahead of time)

Edited by Rime of the Ancient Orlion

What's wrong? I'm sorry, BTW.

No one knows yet. And here I am, 3AM lying on the couch because I can't go to sleep for the third night in a row, while my head keeps pushing away at my skull. At least I don't have to work anymore; disability is in effect pending the doctor's approval.

jW

Work decompression:

OK, so I've had basically this conversation with customers many, many times this week:

Me:  "So, we sent you a new widget.  It has better software to handle all your international superspy* needs!"

Them:  "Oh!  We were wondering what that was for."

Me:  "...there's a letter in there that explains everything."

Them:  "Really?  Oh!  We hadn't opened the box."

Me:  "The box that has a brightly colored sticker on it that says, 'IMPORTANT WIDGET UPDATE INSIDE'?"

Them:  "Right, that box!"

Me:  *headdesk*

*This is not actually what our customers do.  Probably.  :ph34r:

I feel mildly nauseated.

I literally washed my hands three times after simply handling the bag.

Who put it into your head, Mother Dear, that forcing the kid with germophobia (that might actually be OCD, come to think of it) to shovel cat dung is a good idea for a chore?

Edited by Slowswift

I feel mildly nauseated.

I literally washed my hands three times after simply handling the bag.

Who put it into your head, Mother Dear, that forcing the kid with germophobia (that might actually be OCD, come to think of it) to shovel cat dung is a good idea for a chore?

Ew. :wacko:

Could you perhaps convince your mother to buy some disposable gloves from Costco or Sam's Club? My mom does that, and they're wonderful for gross chores.

Ew. :wacko:

Could you perhaps convince your mother to buy some disposable gloves from Costco or Sam's Club? My mom does that, and they're wonderful for gross chores.

Eh, we've got gloves. But, I don't know, it's the proximity to the box that disturbs me: "oh no, what if I breathe in the germs?!" 

I think I need to see a psych. :wacko:

Maybe the fact that I had a stressful math test affected my willingness to do said chore, but still. Why. Do. Germs. Bother. Me. So. Much.

Eh, we've got gloves. But, I don't know, it's the proximity to the box that disturbs me: "oh no, what if I breathe in the germs?!"

I think I need to see a psych. :wacko:

Maybe the fact that I had a stressful math test affected my willingness to do said chore, but still. Why. Do. Germs. Bother. Me. So. Much.

Maybe your siblings weren't as gross as mine? :P One of my earliest memories is of my brother eating a fire ant off the sidewalk.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, though. :( If going to see a psych helps, I'd definitely recommend it.