Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

Oh, Jay, I'm so sorry. I would probably feel exactly the same way if that happened to me, so I get it. I would just say to remember that the fact that you held the 4.0 for so long means that you are far above average. And make sure you don't let a number define your worth. You gave it your best and you know what, that hard work is what matters in the end, not the grade itself. 

59 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

This is probably a stupid thing to take as hard as I am, but I lost my 4.0 GPA today. It actually physically hurts. I have a pit in my stomach that won’t go away. I tried my best, but it seems like my best just wasn’t good enough.

*Hugs* I understand well this pain. @Shard of Thought is correct that achieving a 4.0 is something that shows just how smart you are. This number though is just that a number which is a poor definition of who you are. That you reached that height is something to be proud of. The pain will pass and when it does remember that your best got you to the 4.0 anything else that happened was beyond your control and had nothing to do with your effort!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that I spent too much of last year posting on this this thread but unfortunately, things have not improved. To say that I'm enraged is an understatement.I have been told that when I'm looking for a job I should be open and honest with the organizations that I deal with. I was contacted by a recruiter about a job that I had not applied for. It seemed great I sent them a personal statement to forward to the firm in question and I set up an appointment to meet the recruiter face to face. The next day I get a call that the firm wants to interview me. I give them potential days and they send me a confirmation. I went in to talk to two different recruiters. The first wanted to walk me through the interview process and asked if I had questions. I said that I knew that one should be honest with an interviewing company and I wanted to know if she thought that I should disclose at the interview that for religious reasons I would have to leave work on friday's early. She got up as though offended by the question, said that she had to run this by the firm, and that it was a pleasure to meet me. She left and that was that. I emailed her a thank you message that same day and she responded that the firm's schedule could not allow me to leave early even for religious purposes and that my interview was cancelled. All weekend I have been seething. I don't even know how to respond to this. My honesty and religious practice got an interview pulled out from under me. I don't know if it was something that I said or the way that she relayed it to the firm or what, but this whole thing makes me sick. How do I even move on from that? The truth hurt me. My religious identity very possibly denied me an opportunity.  If it had not happened to me I might say that it is just too bizarre to comprehend, but here I am ranting once again about my life the gift that keeps on storming giving!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

This is probably a stupid thing to take as hard as I am, but I lost my 4.0 GPA today. It actually physically hurts. I have a pit in my stomach that won’t go away. I tried my best, but it seems like my best just wasn’t good enough.

So I don’t usually post on this thread because I don’t feel like I’m all that good at consoling people, but this issue is one that’s close to me. 

Jay, you are not a number. I know you probably know that, but that’s something I have to keep reminding myself all the time. I was a basically a straight A student all through school. When I got my first B+, it was actually crushing. So much so that most people would find it ridiculous how bad I felt. I actually had to hold back tears in class. And then I felt so stupid afterwards. I knew that there were so many people who would be overjoyed with my grades, which made me feel even worse about how I felt. 

But your feelings are valid. It’s okay to feel bad about it, at least for a little while. When you’ve held onto a 4.0 GPA for so long, loosing it just feels... wrong. But when you’re ready to move on, when you’ve accepted it, you’ll be stronger for it. Your worth isn’t defined by a number, or a letter, and don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise. If you’ve tried your hardest, then that is more than enough. 

21 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Well, if you actually tried your best, then it's obviously not your fault. Any good teacher would give an A if a student tried their best, no matter how good that was. Not to hate on whoever that is, but it's most likely their fault, not yours. *hugs and sympathy about sucky teachers*

20 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

I know that I spent too much of last year posting on this this thread but unfortunately, things have not improved. To say that I'm enraged is an understatement.I have been told that when I'm looking for a job I should be open and honest with the organizations that I deal with. I was contacted by a recruiter about a job that I had not applied for. It seemed great I sent them a personal statement to forward to the firm in question and I set up an appointment to meet the recruiter face to face. The next day I get a call that the firm wants to interview me. I give them potential days and they send me a confirmation. I went in to talk to two different recruiters. The first wanted to walk me through the interview process and asked if I had questions. I said that I knew that one should be honest with an interviewing company and I wanted to know if she thought that I should disclose at the interview that for religious reasons I would have to leave work on friday's early. She got up as though offended by the question, said that she had to run this by the firm, and that it was a pleasure to meet me. She left and that was that. I emailed her a thank you message that same day and she responded that the firm's schedule could not allow me to leave early even for religious purposes and that my interview was cancelled. All weekend I have been seething. I don't even know how to respond to this. My honesty and religious practice got an interview pulled out from under me. I don't know if it was something that I said or the way that she relayed it to the firm or what, but this whole thing makes me sick. How do I even move on from that? The truth hurt me. My religious identity very possibly denied me an opportunity.  If it had not happened to me I might say that it is just too bizarre to comprehend, but here I am ranting once again about my life the gift that keeps on storming giving!!!!!!!

This hurts to read. That was terribly judgy and I'm so sorry that happened. If the second recruiter would have accepted you, then that's just plain stupid, but if the second one wouldn't have, then it's probably a good thing you're not working for that firm. I don't have much consolation for that, since that makes no sense at all, other than this hug. *hug!!!*

I hope your future gets better, and good job for standing up for your beliefs! You did the right thing, and I'm sure that your life will eventually give back, in a good way!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 11:46 PM, Nathrangking said:

I've got nothing more than גם זו לטוב to say. Life will get better. Sometimes it just takes a while.

*hugs*

On 1/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, Jaywalk said:

Hopefully by this point you're feeling better, but if not consider this: In not that long, that number will have no value. The difference between a 3.95 and a 4.0 will mean nothing. What matters is that you know that you are capable because that is what allows you to remain capable. No number or physical validation. Just your brain. You.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that I have to post here again, but I need to vent in a major way. I had/ have a friend whom I have known since we were both quite young. Our meeting was memorable one to say the least. Over the years we were not best friend close, but we went to school on the same bus we would talk quite a bit and we got along well. Things changed when we got to high school and we went our separate ways. I wondered throughout high school what she was up to and admittedly I had a crush. After high school we reconnected and I admitted that I had had a crush on her. We stayed casual friends though I always got the sense that things were awkward between us. We continued on and I became aware that perhaps I was still crushing on her despite the passage of time. I tried to talk to her about it however she became defensive and ultimately put me on the defensive for in her words "making things about me." I tried to smooth things over, but she was having none of it. Ultimately, she blocked me on social media. I tried to reach out after and things crumbled when she began to try to move things in a direction that I was not ready for. I knew then that something was off in our dynamic and for a while I kept my distance, I was uncomfortable with the way things ended so I recently reached out to her and she told me that she did not realize that I felt as I did. That should have set off warning bells. However, I still hoped to salvage things. I broke down exactly how I felt and I told her that the best thing was to just keep things casual. She became even more aggressive than before and despite my attempts to cool things down in about a day things reached a breaking point. I told her that I did not feel a romantic love for her and would start a relationship of this kind. She lost it with me and cursed at me saying that she deserved to be loved and that she would block me again. I commented that I cared for her as a friend and that was all. I also asked what was wrong with wanting to just be friends. I left it at that. She did not respond to me and I took a day to think about this situation. It became painfully clear that there was something unhealthy going on in this relationship. I put an end to things and blocked her on social media. A friendship that had been on and off for almost 20 years imploded in a devastating way. At times I feel guilty and think if only I had tried harder things might have been different. Honestly, I don't know what to think about the whole thing. It hurt to see it ho, but I don't know that I could have maintained it on my own. The weight might have crushed me. This is not something that anybody else in the world knows about. I quietly carried this around inside for a long time. I don't know if I was wrong or right, but I do know that I cannot keep this hidden anymore. (I want to thank those who take the time to listen to my self-serving ramblings. What it means to you cannot begin to imagine!)

45 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

I hate that I have to post here again, but I need to vent in a major way.

Nath. You always feel comfortable posting here. If you don’t want to, don’t. But don’t think that anyone here will hold anything against you. We honestly just want to help.

I sympathize Nath. Friendships falling apart. It hurts. It really does. Especially when it’s in such a violent manner. I feel bad for you, I really do. And I’m so sorry that you had to go through this. *hugs* *just keeps on hugging* You’re awesome okay? Remember that.

5 hours ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

Nath. You always feel comfortable posting here. If you don’t want to, don’t. But don’t think that anyone here will hold anything against you. We honestly just want to help.

I sympathize Nath. Friendships falling apart. It hurts. It really does. Especially when it’s in such a violent manner. I feel bad for you, I really do. And I’m so sorry that you had to go through this. *hugs* *just keeps on hugging* You’re awesome okay? Remember that.

First thank you. Second, its just that the past and a half has been so hard and unkind that for me to unburden all of that here at times felt unfair even though I know that all of you are the greatest and really do want to help.

About a month back a coworker sent me a text that was offensive to me and since I’ve had time to reflect on it could be interpreted as sexual harassment because of the context. I deleted the text on impulse so I’m going to have to use a data recovery program to get it back so I can have evidence to file this with a supervisor or HR.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thanks to a specific recent event, our choir concert that we've been working on for over 3 months has been canceled, also, the musical We've been working on for over 5 months is almost definitely been canceled too.  So, there's that.  The only two things I actually enjoy doing at school, so, yeah, things haven't been going so well.

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

Hi, thanks to a specific recent event, our choir concert that we've been working on for over 3 months has been canceled, also, the musical We've been working on for over 5 months is almost definitely been canceled too.  So, there's that.  The only two things I actually enjoy doing at school, so, yeah, things haven't been going so well.

Aw man, that stinks. :( I was just going to attend a musical event that got cancelled, and I'm miffed. Can't imagine what being on the other side is like. Hope you can make it through. *mails hugbot to your location*

Not really a bad day for me but I feel bad about all the businesses being closed or affected by the coronavirus. I read some posts on Criterion Forum about how it’s affecting the entertainment industry and my mother acted like people worrying about having a job, or even a business, once the scare is over is nothing for them to worry about. She just doesn’t get that the projected closing times are estimated to be about a month and while big companies like Disney and Universal can weather a bad month a lot of these smaller businesses and festivals can’t weather a bad month. It’s like she doesn’t care if these people will be jobless or not because “the government is compensating them” is her excuse and I know exactly how she would feel if it affected her personally if our school died if the students didn’t return if we closed for a week or two.

Welp.  We're diving into Coronavirus land here in Virginia, having closed all schools statewide.  My school district (I teach kindergarten) had been frantically making plans for a couple days ahead of time and I'm honestly impressed with the plan they came up with and how quickly it was rolled into action. Teachers only are rolling into tomorrow to learn more details. *crosses fingers* I worry about my students education, but.....well honestly I'm proud of my class and think they've learned a lot.  This is about the time of year that standardized tests begin for the older kids and school life in general starts to disintegrate.

But this whole thing is bizarre.  It's like summer....only not.  A vacation, but it's unpleasant.  I've got a laundry room full of canned fruits and veggies and no lesson plans to make.  

Nothing bad has happened to me or my family.  But the disruption of daily life and the removal of things that people have assumed as something constant or stable.....it's created this tension like nothing else I've seen.  People in my area tend to overstock groceries when snow is expected.  But now....people in the grocery store are tense, curt, and eyeing each other sideways.  It's quiet in an unfriendly way that I can't quite describe.   

My school district just announced school closures through March 27th. Our grocery stores have empty shelves. This is so different yet so alike from the fire that raged through my community last year.

And, yet, despite it all, my DnD group - my miraculous, wonderful DnD group - is still meeting. 

I may have lost my income from subbing and tutoring, but now I suppose I have plenty of time to get caught up critiquing writing, and writing for myself. Not to mention all those books I've been wanting to read. 

Hope everyone who's being affected by COVID-19 (and who isn't at this point) is finding the bright spots of life right now. 

Not really a horrible thing, but I am bored out of my mind. I am homeschooled, so at least I still have that going on, but today I was bored and played my violin for almost 2 hours (now that I think of it, that’s probably not such a bad thing). I am just sitting around, trying to not go on a walk because in my area we have been advised to not go outside in case we come in contact with others. I try to go to the back yard, but do what? I am ready for all of this to be over.

Being fairly introverted I was totally on board with the social distancing, I figured I would hang out at home, make some stuff and generally have a good time. But now things aren't seeming so great. I work on a on call basis, when someone books an escape room I come into work, but now that no one is booking I'm not working so I'm not getting paid. My laptop broke and I lost a bunch of files trying to fix it, my SLA 3D printer broke as well, and now to top it all off the power just went out. Every time I think of something to do I realize that it wouldn't work. I can't sculpt stuff because I use an bake clay and have no power, I want to print some minis but no printer and no power, how about building something out of foam, my foam cutter needs electricity Wich I happen to have none. I'm glad I'm not in a hospital with Covid 19 or anything, but life in a world ravaged by precautionary measures sucks.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:46 PM, ToaCalune said:

played my violin for almost 2 hours

YOU SHOULD BE PRACTICING 40 HOURS A DAY!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!? LING LING DISAPPROVES!!!

Spoiler

If you don’t understand, then your boredom is cured! Go watch some TwoSet Violin on YouTube! If you do understand, PRACTICE MORE!!

:P

23 hours ago, DoomStick said:

YOU SHOULD BE PRACTICING 40 HOURS A DAY!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!? LING LING DISAPPROVES!!!

Hide contents

If you don’t understand, then your boredom is cured! Go watch some TwoSet Violin on YouTube! If you do understand, PRACTICE MORE!!

:P

Yes, indeed. I just started watching them a few weeks ago when the shutdown started in my area. I’ve been trying to work up to that 40 hours a day. It was four yesterday and five today. On the bright side, I have a new found joy for playing violin, and I think I have gotten noticeably better...

1 hour ago, ToaCalune said:

Yes, indeed. I just started watching them a few weeks ago when the shutdown started in my area. I’ve been trying to work up to that 40 hours a day. It was four yesterday and five today. On the bright side, I have a new found joy for playing violin, and I think I have gotten noticeably better...

Yay!

At work yesterday one of the rooms got flooded from a dripping ac unit. This room is supposed to be a meeting room but for the past couple years has been used as a technology repair room for one of the tech guys so my mother, the maintenance head and me moved all the stuff out so that the maintenance guy could get fans in there and dry the carpet out over the weekend. The maintenance guy called his people to find out who turned the air down since the only people who were there this past week were the three of us plus 4 of his cleaning people and the three of us know not to mess with the units, I tend to forget where the one for the unit in question is since I don’t usually go into that area, so it had to be one of them who did it. He somehow narrowed it down to this one lady and she vehemently denied it but from what I understand she is getting her pay docked for the damages.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:09 PM, ToaCalune said:

40 hours? You need to aim for 80 hours! You need to be twice as good as them!

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

I got 13% on a big test. How you might ask? Apparently some images didn't survive a file format conversion as well as I'd thought they did.

Oh dear. I'm sorry, that must feel awful. :( 

Any chance you can explain that it was a technical problem and get another shot?

Edited by Slowswift