Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

41 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Maybe ask them to stop? Religion should always be your choice. Forcing someone to believe in or do something they don't want to is wrong.

I know, I’m just scared of my parents, I guess. They’ll just talk about going to church and all that being what’s best for me. Thanks for the support though. This is why I love the Shard so much.

Yeah, the Shard is awesome.

I'd volunteer to talk to your parents through a PM or something, but I worry that they might then classify me or, worse, all Sharders as bad influences. Or that they'd get mad at you for sharing your discomfort. -_- Though if you're willing to risk that, I still would.

10 hours ago, AonEne said:

Yeah, the Shard is awesome.

I'd volunteer to talk to your parents through a PM or something, but I worry that they might then classify me or, worse, all Sharders as bad influences. Or that they'd get mad at you for sharing your discomfort. -_- Though if you're willing to risk that, I still would.

Not sure how well that’d turn out. I mainly don’t want to lose my phone, Shard access, gaming privileges, etc.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:10 PM, Jaywalk said:

I’ve been struggling a lot with my parents lately. It feels like they’re trying to impose what they want on me without letting me decide anything for myself. Most of it has to do with little specifics pertaining to my religion; I’ve grown up in it, but it’s becoming hard to stomach these tiny things.

I skipped a grade, and for the last seven years or so I’ve been going to school and associating with people older than me, but I feel like I’ve grown to the point where I fit in better with them than people my own age.

It’s incredibly frustrating when my parents are restraining me according to my age like this. I get it, I’m a teenager, but I’m not the cliched idiot teenager stereotype.

*hugs*

Like Ene said, belief is a very personal thing. But it's also something that tends to get passed down in families, so when you don't conform to everything exactly as they did it, it can be hard. Know yourself, know what you know, and know that in a few years it can be up to you to make those decisions.

And on age, try to think about things from their perspective. They might not be right to do everything they do, but they do what they believe is best, even if it doesn't feel like it. At the same time, do question, just make sure it's logical and not simply meaningless teenage stereotype fitting questioning. If you can show why you shouldn't be treated the way they've restrained you, then they'll be more likely to listen.

We're here for you as well, if you need anything.

I feel you @Jaywalk I’m 28 but my mother still treats me like I’m 8 and whenever I express my own thoughts or likes it’s automatically me being the exact opposite as a form of rebellion. So sorry for not being into war stories or wanting to call people by derogatory terms or liking this crazy merchandise that you hate <_<

Here’s something she does and it always ends up my fault. She’ll rush off to do something because she wants to get things done but when it involves stuff loaded in the car and doesn’t give a chance to unload it it’s my fault that she rushed off and didn’t tell her there was stuff to unload. Last night we had gotten coffee cups and paper plates at the store and she needed to rush to the car dealer afterwards so we got home, to grab my car if hers could be left for her service, and I got our personal stuff inside but when I came back to the garage to grab the stuff in the back she already peeled out of there so when I got to the dealership I had to unload all the stuff from her car to mine so that it gets home and it was somehow my fault it was still in her car. Maybe if she didn’t drive away while I was inside the house I’d have had time instead of her trying to go fast with getting things ‘done’

I've been having a tough time, I'm sure you're all aware. Today I managed to pick myself up, get a haircut, a shave, really just do some normal day-to-day things and actually feel good about myself. I think it's time I started doing things for me instead of what I think others want from me.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you feel kind of ‘blah’ after eating/drinking certain foods or ingredients? I’m talking about where it’s not an allergy but you just don’t feel good afterwards. I feel this way after drinking American soda. I gave up soda last year and only do it every so often, sometimes I’m just in the mood for a root beer, and I’ve noticed a pattern. For the longest time I’ve gotten bad migraines and tend to feel ‘blah’ after drinking one and with giving it up I’ve noticed that I don’t get the really bad migraines anymore, I still get migraines but it’s much more bearable, and the few times I’ve done American sodas the really bad ones come back.

Now notice I keep saying American sodas. I’ve done some International sodas, like a watermelon ‘soda’ from France, and I don’t feel bad afterwards like I do with American sodas. The only thing I can think of that’s different between the two is that American sodas use corn syrup while International sodas use sugar. Now I’m wondering if the corn syrup doesn’t agree with me, like if I have a high fructose corn syrup intolerance.

20 hours ago, Draginon said:

Does anyone else experience this? Do you feel kind of ‘blah’ after eating/drinking certain foods or ingredients? I’m talking about where it’s not an allergy but you just don’t feel good afterwards. I feel this way after drinking American soda. I gave up soda last year and only do it every so often, sometimes I’m just in the mood for a root beer, and I’ve noticed a pattern. For the longest time I’ve gotten bad migraines and tend to feel ‘blah’ after drinking one and with giving it up I’ve noticed that I don’t get the really bad migraines anymore, I still get migraines but it’s much more bearable, and the few times I’ve done American sodas the really bad ones come back.

Now notice I keep saying American sodas. I’ve done some International sodas, like a watermelon ‘soda’ from France, and I don’t feel bad afterwards like I do with American sodas. The only thing I can think of that’s different between the two is that American sodas use corn syrup while International sodas use sugar. Now I’m wondering if the corn syrup doesn’t agree with me, like if I have a high fructose corn syrup intolerance.

That is because american soda has too much sugar than what you are used to. Going without drinking soda for awhile causes you to lose weight, and your body get used to not have such large infusions of sugar. When you drink soda after going without it after so long, your body feels overwhelmed, and you feel nauseous because you are not used to it.

Edited by Pathfinder

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

That is because american soda has too much sugar than what you are used to. Going without drinking soda for awhile causes you to lose weight, and your body get used to not have such large infusions of sugar. When you drink soda after going without it after so long, your body feels overwhelmed, and you feel nauseous because you are not used to it.

No, I felt that way even when I used to drink it all the time. I’m also not one of those who’ll chug the whole thing so I’m taking my time to drink it, yesterday I had one of those 16 oz coke’s (I hate coke but I thought it was the revival New Coke which I wanted to try but it was just regular Coke) and I was sipping it over the course of 1 1/2-2 hours and I was drinking a cup of unsweet tea as well.

I also still get sugar through candy and dessert items like cookies, though I’m not eating them every single day or I’m pairing them with tea in the evening. To show how different it affects me I had a brownie sundae the other day, which would be full of sugar because of the chocolate and ice cream, and I felt fine but after that one can of Coke I felt terrible.

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

No, I felt that way even when I used to drink it all the time. I’m also not one of those who’ll chug the whole thing so I’m taking my time to drink it, yesterday I had one of those 16 oz coke’s (I hate coke but I thought it was the revival New Coke which I wanted to try but it was just regular Coke) and I was sipping it over the course of 1 1/2-2 hours and I was drinking a cup of unsweet tea as well.

I also still get sugar through candy and dessert items like cookies, though I’m not eating them every single day or I’m pairing them with tea in the evening. To show how different it affects me I had a brownie sundae the other day, which would be full of sugar because of the chocolate and ice cream, and I felt fine but after that one can of Coke I felt terrible.

In my experience, my wife's experience, and numerous friends who all cut coke completely out of their diets, and then once in a blue moon at a restaurant have one glass of soda with dinner, end up feeling nauseous after. Google it a bit. There are plenty of articles, though some conflict. If what I said doesn't feel right to you then to each their own, and I wish you luck finding the cause. (just in case that was not said in a sarcastic manner)

Edited by Pathfinder

3 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

In my experience, my wife's experience, and numerous friends who all cut coke completely out of their diets, and then once in a blue moon at a restaurant have one glass of soda with dinner, end up feeling nauseous after. Google it a bit. There are plenty of articles, though some conflict. If what I said doesn't feel right to you then to each their own, and I wish you luck finding the cause. (just in case that was not said in a sarcastic manner)

I hope you mean coke as in soda as a whole and not the single beverage known as coke. It’s not exactly a nauseous feeling, just more that blah feeling when you’re not feeling great but you’re not feeling sick/nauseous/pukey. I think the closest might be more like how those with celiac and lactose intolerance describe the feeling when they don’t get gas.

Edit: Okay I did a little bit of research. I’m wondering if it’s a minor HFCS/corn intolerance since, of the many symptoms for intolerance, the ones I get afterwards are migraines and tingling in the mouth. For the longest time I thought the tingling was a normal reaction to drinking soda but after I’ve done International ones like Ramune, a few British ones and even American sodas with real sugar, I didn’t get that tingling feeling. I think it’s a minor one because I don’t get the symptoms after eating regular corn based products (cornbread, corn tortillas, etc) nor with stuff made with corn syrup. Because it’s specifically called high fructose corn syrup and not corn syrup I wonder if it’s just a more concentrated form of corn and that’s affecting me when I have it. Not sure what else has HFCS and I can’t think of any other foodstuffs that does that to me.

Edited by Draginon

13 hours ago, Draginon said:

I hope you mean coke as in soda as a whole and not the single beverage known as coke. It’s not exactly a nauseous feeling, just more that blah feeling when you’re not feeling great but you’re not feeling sick/nauseous/pukey. I think the closest might be more like how those with celiac and lactose intolerance describe the feeling when they don’t get gas.

Edit: Okay I did a little bit of research. I’m wondering if it’s a minor HFCS/corn intolerance since, of the many symptoms for intolerance, the ones I get afterwards are migraines and tingling in the mouth. For the longest time I thought the tingling was a normal reaction to drinking soda but after I’ve done International ones like Ramune, a few British ones and even American sodas with real sugar, I didn’t get that tingling feeling. I think it’s a minor one because I don’t get the symptoms after eating regular corn based products (cornbread, corn tortillas, etc) nor with stuff made with corn syrup. Because it’s specifically called high fructose corn syrup and not corn syrup I wonder if it’s just a more concentrated form of corn and that’s affecting me when I have it. Not sure what else has HFCS and I can’t think of any other foodstuffs that does that to me.

As the articles you read mention, it is the quantities and type of sugar (as you said high fructose sugar) that causes the effect. The same thing happens when eating healthy and going back to a meal high in trans fat. I am not even talking doing a "cleanse" or anything. I mean eat healthy well prepared/cooked meals for a month or more. Then go to Mcdonalds and have a milk shake, or a big mac and see how you feel after. You feel hung over because your body is not used to processing that kind of stuff. I am not saying to change your life style, or all soda and McDonalds are evil. Just saying it does have an effect on a person's body, and that could be what you are experiencing. But at the end of the day, you know your body best, so I wish you luck. 

Edited by Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily bad for me but for when the superintendent gets the loss/damage reports of the campuses. The cheapest is about $200, the next two are just under $1000 and just a few dollars in difference while the final campus has a total over $5000!

This is the most expensive year yet!

What actually makes this funny is that my direct boss/supervisor has been trying to get a reason to have one of our people fired and he’s the one with the smallest loss while her favorites are the two $1000 spenders.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to rant here because I have a bit to get off my chest. For the past several weeks I have been involved in communication with a firm that had an interesting job opening. Things seemed to be going fairly well and I thought that I could finally put to rest the anxiety of unsuccessfully job searching for 7 months.I had an interview with the woman who would have been my supervisor. She told me that HR would be in touch and 20 minutes later I discovered that they wanted me to come in for a face to face interview. I went in and actually ended up having not one but two interviews. At the end of the second during which I spoke once again with my potential supervisor and her supervisor I asked about the next step in the process. She said that the next step would be a further interview which they had to arrange and they would be in touch. They gave me every indication that things had gone well. I was made to wait over the weekend for a response and when one finally came it was not an appointment for another interview it was a notice that the firm could not hire me for a position in their firm, but they would keep me in mind if they ever needed someone. I don't know why they think that that would make the situation better. I went in the following day to my college's career center for an appointment that I had made prior to the response and told the adviser that I was dealing with about this. He said that I should put it out of my mind because I will never know why I was rejected and that the very fact that I had a second interview meant that I was doing the right thing. He also said that my rejection most likely is no indication of my having done anything wrong, but was likely a arbitrary decision on their part. Logically I know these things to be the truth, but that does not make the pain or frustration any less. I was so close and then I was slapped away with no indication whatsoever that something like this was going to happen. It's even worse for the fact that I was made to wait a whole weekend and that I had reason to hope that this time things would be different than they had been previously. I can't help, but examine every little thing and wonder if it is the reason why they said no. Its so maddening and frustrating to be stuck in this spiral, but there is so little to be done, but carry on as though I was not made to hope and then tossed aside. It is just so difficult not to lose it with everyone. I want to snap at the world even though I know it does not help. Thank you all for listening!!! This vent helps a little and every little bit helps!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by Nathrangking

Not one for me but would be one for the people involved with the story I heard on the radio. The station I listen to has this segment called “Fired from America” which is about people doing incredibly stupid things. Well in today’s story this guy and his fiancée were at a strip club and the police had to be called. Apparently he drank 33 beers! That shouldn’t even be possible! I found a BAC calculator to figure out what his BAC would be and I went with the conservative estimate of 4% beer, 160 weight (average weight) and if this happened over the course of 6 hours. The number was 0.62! I then did a hard estimate of 7% beer and 1 hour and the number was 1.2%. Your body starts shutting down at 0.40 so someone miscounted how many beers he had or he has a rare gene to handle that much alcohol.

• 3 weeks later...

Not totally bad, but very bitter sweet. I am now creatively speaking at a point where I finally have a strong drive and direction. My work is starting to flow in a way that it has not really ever done before now. As a result, I am bolder now with my choices and experimentation. However, I know that no person can create in a vacuum. This led me to try and use my limited resources to try and discover how my experimentation would be received. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part I have been ignored. Though I am creating, the lack of critical engagement makes me wonder if my efforts are worthwhile. I was told once that something on a large scale was beyond me. Maybe they were right. Perhaps my work is not at all worth either my time or the time of others. I don't know and it frustrates me to no end. I want to believe based on a very limited level of engagement that I'm doing a good thing, but honestly I can't help but think that I'm being humored by a few kind souls.

Edited by Nathrangking

On 8/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, Nathrangking said:

Not totally bad, but very bitter sweet. I am now creatively speaking at a point where I finally have a strong drive and direction. My work is starting to flow in a way that it has not really ever done before now. As a result, I am bolder now with my choices and experimentation. However, I know that no person can create in a vacuum. This led me to try and use my limited resources to try and discover how my experimentation would be received. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part I have been ignored. Though I am creating, the lack of critical engagement makes me wonder if my efforts are worthwhile. I was told once that something on a large scale was beyond me. Maybe they were right. Perhaps my work is not at all worth either my time or the time of others. I don't know and it frustrates me to no end. I want to believe based on a very limited level of engagement that I'm doing a good thing, but honestly I can't help but think that I'm being humored by a few kind souls.

On the bright side, experimentation being ignored also means that it's not something obviously bad or unproductive.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:02 AM, Silverblade5 said:

On the bright side, experimentation being ignored also means that it's not something obviously bad or unproductive.

True, though I can't really know if I have been successful until I get some reasonable level of feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, RayOfSunshine said:

I hate everyone and everything. Discord sucks, the shard sucks, my family sucks, my friends suck, school is going to suck

*hugs* We loooooveeee youuuuu

It'll pass. You're right about school though, that does suck.