Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Just…trying to climb out of one of those "nothing I do matters, meaningless meaningless all is meaningless" pits in regards to my own writing. You know how that is? Feeling like you should just throw in the towel before the whole world sees you're a fraud with no talent and nothing to say? 

Those are tough. Just remember that there are people who care about you and your hobbies. Your ideas are unique, and though you may find them silly or dumb, you probably way underestimate your abilities. Show friends and family what you’ve done. I almost guarantee that they’ll show you just how talented you are. You have talent. You aren’t a fraud. You’re you and you’re unique. Everyone has their downs, but never forget that there is always the sun behind every cloud.

anyways, point is, be yourself, never back down, and don’t hide.  

24 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Just…trying to climb out of one of those "nothing I do matters, meaningless meaningless all is meaningless" pits in regards to my own writing. You know how that is? Feeling like you should just throw in the towel before the whole world sees you're a fraud with no talent and nothing to say? 

That sucks. It probably doesn't mean much, coming from a random internet person, but if your RP is anything to go by, your writing is fantastic.

*hugs*

8 minutes ago, Inklingspren said:

Those are tough. Just remember that there are people who care about you and your hobbies. Your ideas are unique, and though you may find them silly or dumb, you probably way underestimate your abilities. Show friends and family what you’ve done. I almost guarantee that they’ll show you just how talented you are. You have talent. You aren’t a fraud. You’re you and you’re unique. Everyone has their downs, but never forget that there is always the sun behind every cloud.

anyways, point is, be yourself, never back down, and don’t hide.  

My family doesn't really care about my writing. I think that's part of the problem—I've shown my writing to them, and at best I'll get a "Very nice sweetie!" before they go back to whatever they were doing. At worst, they'll read it, give me some criticism that doesn't really help ("You shouldn't have done X, you should have done Y so that I like the story better even though that's not the story you want to tell") and then never mention it again. They don't ask about what I'm writing or how it's going, and if I mention it on my own, I'll get another "Very cool" and no further interest, so I've stopped mentioning it. 

And there's a writers' critique group here, but I'm a little scared of joining. The last time I actually read my work out loud in a critique group, the leader interrupted me before my time was up and then spent the rest of the session complimenting other writers in a way that made it clear she was dissing my work. 

EDIT: Thanks, @Kidpen. It actually means a lot. :)

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

My family doesn't really care about my writing. I think that's part of the problem—I've shown my writing to them, and at best I'll get a "Very nice sweetie!" before they go back to whatever they were doing. At worst, they'll read it, give me some criticism that doesn't really help ("You shouldn't have done X, you should have done Y so that I like the story better even though that's not the story you want to tell") and then never mention it again. They don't ask about what I'm writing or how it's going, and if I mention it on my own, I'll get another "Very cool" and no further interest, so I've stopped mentioning it. 

And there's a writers' critique group here, but I'm a little scared of joining. The last time I actually read my work out loud in a critique group, the leader interrupted me before my time was up and then spent the rest of the session complimenting other writers in a way that made it clear she was dissing my work. 

That sounds horrible. We have a writers guild here if you want to share it with us! I’m sure we’re better support than those people. Those kind of people are the worst. 

*hugs*

5 minutes ago, Inklingspren said:

That sounds horrible. We have a writers guild here if you want to share it with us! I’m sure we’re better support than those people. Those kind of people are the worst. 

*hugs*

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I just realized it's been three and a half years (I think) and that one little incident has stuck with me this long. And I remember the other artists and writers on this site being very supportive and open, I just….worry that what I have isn't good enough to share. 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I just realized it's been three and a half years (I think) and that one little incident has stuck with me this long. And I remember the other artists and writers on this site being very supportive and open, I just….worry that what I have isn't good enough to share. 

Don’t doubt yourself. Most of us are amateurs too, so it’s nowhere near as well of writing as any author. Who knows, maybe you’ll find that what you’ve written is better than you imagined. Just give it chance, maybe you’ll feel better.

4 minutes ago, Inklingspren said:

Don’t doubt yourself. Most of us are amateurs too, so it’s nowhere near as well of writing as any author. Who knows, maybe you’ll find that what you’ve written is better than you imagined. Just give it chance, maybe you’ll feel better.

Maybe. Thanks for talking with me, though, no matter what I decide. :)

8 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Quick clarification, though—when I said “here,” I meant the writing group in my city. Not the one here, which I wasn’t aware of. Sorry if I lowkey dissed you guys by mistake. :/

We understood you meant someone out of the shard, because there are no such people 'round here.

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The very fact that you write shows that you're better at it than average. A lot of people have no respect for writing - they take everything they read for granted, and while that might hurt, you've got to keep going. The odds of getting professionally published or famous are next to nil, but so long as you enjoy it, nothing anyone says should ever drag you down. Also, always remember your audience. If they're a cremmy lot who only appreciate one specific style or genre that isn't your own, don't take what they say to heart. They don't know anything and are so storming biased that if a decent book that didn't fit their qualifications hit them on the head they wouldn't notice. I've never read your rp posts, but I'll take Kidpen's word for it that they're pretty good. You know you can write. We know you can write. So write, even if it's only for yourself. Don't worry about why, just do it. And if your parents don't really care, just give them a reason to care. 

And, worst case, if your stuff really does suck and everything you've done is worthless (sorry to be so negative here, but there is a purpose), don't stress. There is no way writing could have hurt you. Writing only helps. So no matter what you at least helped yourself.

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

As someone recently said to me, channel the confidence of an average straight white man whose tale of self-discovery through sex and alcohol will be a bestseller despite being incredibly mediocre and derivative. If I remember anything correctly about your writing, it's engaging, exciting, and thoughtful, and the world would be better to have it published far and wide. Its disappointed but ok if your family doesnt get you. Not everyone will. But one day you'll look at all your fans and readers and people clamouring for your next book and you'll know that your writing is awesome.

And also, every single writer goes through stages where they think their writing is terrible. I think Neil Gaiman wrote about it in a  Nanowrimo pep talk one year.

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Ok that is a seriously sucky leader. Like wow. I'm so sorry. 

That was just one leader of one group though. If you can muster up the courage, try the local group. I mean, you're not going anyway so if its horrible you haven't lost much. But theres a lot to gain there. 

Also, are you still writing about cowboy wizards?

16 hours ago, Silva said:

The very fact that you write shows that you're better at it than average. A lot of people have no respect for writing - they take everything they read for granted, and while that might hurt, you've got to keep going. The odds of getting professionally published or famous are next to nil, but so long as you enjoy it, nothing anyone says should ever drag you down. Also, always remember your audience. If they're a cremmy lot who only appreciate one specific style or genre that isn't your own, don't take what they say to heart. They don't know anything and are so storming biased that if a decent book that didn't fit their qualifications hit them on the head they wouldn't notice. I've never read your rp posts, but I'll take Kidpen's word for it that they're pretty good. You know you can write. We know you can write. So write, even if it's only for yourself. Don't worry about why, just do it. And if your parents don't really care, just give them a reason to care. 

And, worst case, if your stuff really does suck and everything you've done is worthless (sorry to be so negative here, but there is a purpose), don't stress. There is no way writing could have hurt you. Writing only helps. So no matter what you at least helped yourself.

I'm…not sure what to say. 

Thank you. ^_^ 

14 hours ago, Delightful said:

As someone recently said to me, channel the confidence of an average straight white man whose tale of self-discovery through sex and alcohol will be a bestseller despite being incredibly mediocre and derivative. If I remember anything correctly about your writing, it's engaging, exciting, and thoughtful, and the world would be better to have it published far and wide. Its disappointed but ok if your family doesnt get you. Not everyone will. But one day you'll look at all your fans and readers and people clamouring for your next book and you'll know that your writing is awesome.

And also, every single writer goes through stages where they think their writing is terrible. I think Neil Gaiman wrote about it in a  Nanowrimo pep talk one year.

Ok that is a seriously sucky leader. Like wow. I'm so sorry. 

That was just one leader of one group though. If you can muster up the courage, try the local group. I mean, you're not going anyway so if its horrible you haven't lost much. But theres a lot to gain there. 

Also, are you still writing about cowboy wizards?

Yeah, I heard that George R.R. Martin suffers from crises of confidence too. Still hard to get through one, though. 

I'll give them a call soonish. They don't meet for another two weeks, so that'll give me a little while to get mentally prepared. 

And yes, still writing about cowboy wizards. 

19 hours ago, Oversleep said:

There is a writing group here?

There is also a writing guild pm, where you can ask people to give feedback on what you've written, or where you can offer to read through stuff others wrote. And I promise we are all nice ;) (and we are all amateurs of course)
I can add you, if you want to.

Rusting dealership... I realize they need to make $ but this is pretty dumb. I went in today to see what kind of bow tie emblems(Chevy) they had or could order for me. I wanted either a pure silver or a two tone black and silver for my new silver truck. They informed me that they don’t carry them in either but they’d be happy to paint it for me for $60 each emblem(2) plus the $60 installation with the purchase of the emblems at $150. I asked “well if y’all have to paint will you just paint the 2 that umm came with my truck for $180?” I got told no I’d have to buy new ones cause the more they are taken off and put back on the more likely they will break. This makes sense sure but should that not be my rusting choice to do? They just want the extra $150 for all new emblems...

Edited by Briar King