Curious Anamaximder

Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

5,912 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Now, that depends whether they used software to do it, or just put a line in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ; years ago my dad put the website of the browser game on it, however he did not know that the actual game used another address, so I wasn't able to see the website, not play.

Then I read up a bit and retaliated by putting sites he frequents there. He laughed when he realized what I've done :D

Anyway, if they did not use some software to do it, it's very easy to circumvent @StrikerEZ. Just open it in Notepad. It would look like this:

Przechwytywanie.PNG.8f11310502aa231cbab038c1d1ebf5e3.PNG

The line

forcefully redirects to 127.0.0.1 (localhost IP adress) when you request 17thshard.
Putting a # in front of it comments it out, like I did in the screenshot.

And if it's software.

Uninstall it :P Usually is able unless your parents set up an administrative account.

Mine "did" but didn't realise since I was the user of this laptop and had the original account, which by default already had administrative power, I used my power to take away their power.

Which somehow worked :P 

On 4 January 2018 at 7:02 PM, mattig89ch said:

*hug* its alright.  There is still the rest of the movie to see.  And you'll be surprised but the rest of the movie, I can make that a promise.

Thanks man. :)

Okay, so technically this was all yesterday, but due to the astounding number of things that went to Braize yesterday, I just did not have the mental energy to translate it into a Redacted, Inc* post.

So, here at Redacted, Inc, those of us in management have a weekly staff meeting. Not all of us follow the same command chain, though, because we do different things. We have a cryptid team, a magic team, a faerie team, etc. My team generally handles UFOs. None of this is at all real-life accurate (or is it?) but it amuses me to put it this way so there ya go.

Last week's meeting, my boss and I got shooed out near the end because they had some stuff coming down that "didn't affect us" so we allegedly didn't need to know about it. We all but got run out of the conference room and they had their discussion and that should have been the end of it.

It wasn't.

Yesterday, I come to work to find a piece of my team's daily schedule has been yanked. Supposedly this happened for everyone, and come on, Kaymyth, you knew about this. Everyone did. Why don't you get with the program, judgey judgey blah blah.

I got bounced around like a ping-pong ball between several people. No, that wasn't supposed to affect my team. Yeah, but Command got orders and we can't circumvent them on your word. Wait, no, the Big Boss said it's everyone, so it's everyone. And when I called out the same member of management who, as previously mentioned, ran me and my boss out of the gorram meeting, she got all fluttery and defensive and pulled a gaslight tactic accusing me of not being able to "go with the flow" to cover for the fact that it was her rusting fault I didn't know what was going on in the first place.

So I threw the entire incident into my weekly report as a problem, it went up the management flagpole, and now she's angry at me for "tattling" on her. Whatever. If your actions are deliberately holding back key information for me to be able to do my storming job, yeah, I'm going to complain. You don't get to put me in that kind of position without having to pay the piper in the end. Don't test me, slontzes. It won't go well.

That's not even the only problem I had yesterday.

UFOs call us when they get lost and need directions. I've been working here for over 7 years now. Never have I seen one of our phones break. Yesterday, TWO of my team had their phones break in completely different ways, throwing them out of our phone coverage. So that was fun. (One is now fixed today, the other not yet.)

Oh, and some unknown yahoo in a technical department in another office deleted a bunch of widgets we need for our system. See, these widgets are usually used for one particular thing, but my team uses them for a completely different thing that these tech guys can't see. They've done this before, and every time we kick up a fuss. I got them undeleted today, and I've been assured that ownership of the widgets is now "properly documented" but I have my doubts. Mostly because I wasn't allowed to actually speak to the widget deleter. I mean, it's probably for the best, as the mood I was in would have left the poor man quaking in his boots when the conversation ended, but without striking the Fear of Kaymyth into the Hearts of Mortal Men, I cannot be guaranteed that things are fixed entirely to my satisfaction.

Next time, I suppose.

*For those of you who don't know - I am cagey about where I work because sometimes I need a release valve and complain on this thread. I steep things in weird allegorical terms so that it's not obvious to anyone who I'm complaining about. This has led to certain Sharders randomly deciding that I work for a super-secret government agency that keeps us safe from supernatural threats. I go with it.

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

*For those of you who don't know - I am cagey about where I work because sometimes I need a release valve and complain on this thread. I steep things in weird allegorical terms so that it's not obvious to anyone who I'm complaining about. This has led to certain Sharders randomly deciding that I work for a super-secret government agency that keeps us safe from supernatural threats. I go with it.

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

My team generally handles UFOs.

Do you work for the SCP Foundation?!

On a more serious note sorry to hear that! buerocracy and red tape is my least favorite part of all my jobs I have ever had, so I can definitely relate to most of what you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Do you work for the SCP Foundation?!

On a more serious note sorry to hear that! buerocracy and red tape is my least favorite part of all my jobs I have ever had, so I can definitely relate to most of what you are talking about.

Maybe. :ph34r: It's either that, or I work a remarkably mundane job at a giant corporation. Guess which.

(One of my amusements is when I manage to couch a Redacted, Inc post in such utter cavorting crazy that even @ThirdGen, who is my coworker, can't figure out what I'm actually talking about.)

Eh, it happens. Today is better, but it's days like yesterday that I start having a really hard time telling the difference between company politics and junior high.

A friend was being condescending and dismissive and I got mad at her and now I feel bad. 

I am sick.  woke up sick,,a dn I dont feel better at the end of my day.

3 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Maybe. :ph34r: It's either that, or I work a remarkably mundane job at a giant corporation. Guess which.

(One of my amusements is when I manage to couch a Redacted, Inc post in such utter cavorting crazy that even @ThirdGen, who is my coworker, can't figure out what I'm actually talking about.)

Eh, it happens. Today is better, but it's days like yesterday that I start having a really hard time telling the difference between company politics and junior high.

There's a difference?

You know what I hate? Driving. You know what I hate even more? Driving when I have no idea where I am going. The situation is stupid, but essentially we had to drive blind and I'm terrible at that. This is exactly why I hate driving. And why I hate how my phone turns off at 8:45. Screw that. 

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

And why I hate how my phone turns off at 8:45. Screw that. 

Phone turn-off is the dumbest thing. I'm sorry.

5 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

There's a difference?

You would think so. You'd really storming think so.

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

You know what I hate? Driving. You know what I hate even more? Driving when I have no idea where I am going. The situation is stupid, but essentially we had to drive blind and I'm terrible at that. This is exactly why I hate driving. And why I hate how my phone turns off at 8:45. Screw that. 

Dang. That's downright dangerous; what if you were in a situation where you needed to call for help? What if you were using your phone's GPS system to navigate through someplace you're not familiar with? There's parental control, and then there's arbitrarily cutting your teen off from the outside world at a preordained time.

When the anxiety attacks, you thought you were over with, start hitting you again. For a few days now. Last night, I barely slept. Maybe an hour.

Got a sick note for a week. Hopefully that helps a bit.

11 hours ago, Del-light-full said:

A friend was being condescending and dismissive and I got mad at her and now I feel bad. 

*hugs* I hope you won't have problems with reconcilement!

10 hours ago, mattig89ch said:

I am sick.  woke up sick,,a dn I dont feel better at the end of my day.

Get some rest, drink tea with honey and if things don't get better go to the doctor! Good luck with getting healthier.

39 minutes ago, SLNC said:

When the anxiety attacks, you thought you were over with, start hitting you again. For a few days now. Last night, I barely slept. Maybe an hour.

Got a sick note for a week. Hopefully that helps a bit.

I never had problems with anxiety, but I guess that's very unpleasant and sounds exhausting. Maybe try relaxing with some relaxing music? 

6 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

What do you mean you had to drive but didn't know where? What's the point of driving then?

The amount of control your parents enforce over you is disturbing :unsure: How are you supposed to learn how to manage your time and be responsible when they don't let you make any mistakes etc?

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

The amount of control your parents enforce over you is disturbing :unsure: How are you supposed to learn how to manage your time and be responsible when they don't let you make any mistakes etc?

Tell me about t, at least my parents are upfront about t and say that they just want me to do what 'm told and that's t.

My eye key sn't workng.

3 hours ago, Mestiv said:

What do you mean you had to drive but didn't know where? What's the point of driving then?

We went to a banquet, the way there I had GPS. Frankly, no argument convinces them They are wrong in restricting my life, I've tried them all. Part of why I cannot wait to go to college. 

So I am getting over some sort of flu and I have a wicked headache. But what makes it worse is I'm on day 3 of a diet and Work brought in some delicious looking mexican food! :( 

I have no idea of my unemployment and how to get a job, and my self-esteem is diminished. 

On 1/10/2018 at 6:24 AM, Steeldancer said:

We went to a banquet, the way there I had GPS. Frankly, no argument convinces them They are wrong in restricting my life, I've tried them all. Part of why I cannot wait to go to college. 

I'm with @Mestiv on this one... I cringe every time I read about what a short leash you are on. The limiting of electronics is puzzling to me. They may as well put a ban on dancing while they are at at. Your troubles smell to me of an over religious household... 

31 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

I'm with @Mestiv on this one... I cringe every time I read about what a short leash you are on. The limiting of electronics is puzzling to me. They may as well put a ban on dancing while they are at at. Your troubles smell to me of an over religious household... 

It's not a religious thing, although we are religious. They feel we will waste all our time on electronics, which isn't wrong. They're big fans of the "two hours a day" thing. 

4 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

It's not a religious thing, although we are religious. They feel we will waste all our time on electronics, which isn't wrong. They're big fans of the "two hours a day" thing. 

And how do THEY spend their time? Do they limit heir computer/phone usage to give good example?

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

And how do THEY spend their time? Do they limit heir computer/phone usage to give good example?

No, but they excuse it because they're doing work stuff. That's one of the arguments I use, and they always just say "We're the parents. Just obey us." And there's not really anything I can do but use my VPN to get around the restrictions. 

@Steeldancer It always makes me happy when children with superior tech-knowledge use it to overcome limitations set by their parents :P 

Maybe you can cheat your phone and make it work after certain hour by simply changing the clock on it?

16 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

@Steeldancer It always makes me happy when children with superior tech-knowledge use it to overcome limitations set by their parents :P 

Maybe you can cheat your phone and make it work after certain hour by simply changing the clock on it?

That only works when my mom shuts down my entire phone, through Verizon, because everything else is based on external internet clocks. I've tried everything, it took a bunch of trial and error, but I have a system. So I get by. 

Another issue I have is my dad doesn't let me use my laptop in my room. I think he does it because he thinks I'll be unproductive and maybe look at bad things, and yes I'll be unproductive, but honestly, what am I going to get up to on my laptop that I can't do on my phone? Not only that, but my laptop is way better for my homework, and I like working on my bed. And my mom doesn't care. It's just dad.

In other words, I can't wait to get out of my house in 6 months or so. I don't plan on going full on extreme partying, but it'll be nice not to worry about limits anymore. 

1 hour ago, Olenska said:

I have no idea of my unemployment and how to get a job, and my self-esteem is diminished. 

I'm with you. Job hunting is so incredibly demoralising. 

On 1/10/2018 at 7:24 AM, Steeldancer said:

Can I ask how old you are?  And where you live?