Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

I just went to go see star wars. 2 hours and a quarter into the movie the power goes out to the entire complex. Everyone was sent home with the promise of tickets to come back and see a different showing. With approximately 15 minutes left they could not find a way to restore power. It may be trivial, but it is nonetheless annoying beyond belief.

@Nathrangking That really sucks. I'd be none too happy myself. I remember back when theatres still ran film my dad took me to see the remastered edition of A New Hope. 97'ish I believe? Anyway, something happened with the projector and we watched the film melt apart right before the Death Star run. It was horrible. At least in that case I already knew how the movie ended. 

Yesterday me and my mom went to the Chicken Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm. Hadn't been there in three years and during that time they completely renovated the place. They ruined the entire restaurant! Before it was homey and cozy since it was the original feeling that Cordelia Knott made for the restaurant, now it feels the opposite of that and the design feels like someone who had never been to a farm before and decided that using mason jars as light bulbs means farm and completely plain walls and wooden ship lap/beams with a horse head statue in one dining room equals a working stable (if I didn't see that horse head I wouldn't have guessed it was meant to be a stable) and it just felt cheap and thrown together. I don't know if it's supposed to be 'Farm chic' but it just didn't feel like an inviting place to eat.

Onto the actual meal. From the time we walked in to when we left it was over 2 hours! The place wasn't crowded (they can hold 800 people and it was nowhere near that number) and in the past I've been there when the line was out the door and it never took more than an hour. When we sat down it took 40 minutes before the waitress even came to our table to get our drink and food order. The drinks took about 10 minutes to arrive. Another 10 or so pass before we get the biscuits they give everyone before the meal. The biscuits always come with butter and the signature boysenberry jam and they weren't there and it took the waitress 5 minutes to bring it. We didn't even ask for them but when she brought the biscuits she acted like it was going to be a chore to bring the stuff. When she brought it the jam was plopped messily, and very unappealing, on a saucer. It would've looked more presentable in a bowl. As for the biscuits she brought us 16! Between us we only ate 4! (These biscuits are half the size of a regular biscuit) There were only two other tables she was serving, one was a large party, but she never stopped to ask if we needed anything, we both needed refills of our drinks since it was already about 75 minutes into the meal and had yet to get our actual meal, but she asked the other two that quite a bit so it was getting obvious she was ignoring us for some reason. My mom had to find a different server to get our refills along with honey and lemon for her tea. When the lemon arrived I literally laughed because it was on a saucer like everything else, was the biggest lemon I'd ever seen and was cut into four giant slices like an orange and she was only needing one. During this time my mom got her soup, she did one of the chicken dinner meals while I did the chicken sliders, she had to ask the waitress if she could have a spoon, unusual not to get one with soup of all things, and that took a good 10 minutes and the soup was lukewarm at best so she didn't finish it. By this point I had dubbed our waitress Molasses because of how slow she was with everything (I saw other servers going to their respective dining rooms far more than I saw ours since where I was sitting gave me a good view of the one hallway leading to three other dining rooms and the kitchen). Once we finally got our meals we weren't exactly happy with it. My mom didn't like her chicken and sides that much and my sliders came with just pickles. Chicken sandwiches tend to come with some kind of sauce so I was surprised these didn't. I was half tempted to put the jame on them because I was afraid it would take the waitress 10 minutes to bring me some ranch to put on it but we asked a different waiter and he brought it within a couple minutes. After this my mom's dinner has a dessert come in. In the pre-refurb days they always took your dessert order at the same time as the meal order but when my mom went to give it at the beginning the waitress was pretty rude when she said she'd take the order later. Because of how it was already two hours at this point she decided to take her dessert to go. I went to use the restroom at this point and when I returned she had her pie. Apparently the waitress didn't think she needed a bag or utensils to eat it with since we were going back to the hotel. When bringing the bill she was suddenly being all sweet so that she'd get a big tip. Because of her attitude the entire meal and terrible service we didn't even give her a tip since she didn't do anything to deserve one. When we were leaving we went to a manager to give our genuine complaints she was very dismissive, and was not dressed professionally for a manager, and acted like there was nothing wrong with the restaurant at all. Because of these things I'm not sure I even want to return and I loved coming for the atmosphere and the friendly staff before they did the refurbishment from either last year or two years ago. Modern and faster? More like tacky and slow thanks to the changes they made.

Also the clothes the wait staff wear didn't really fit with the theme. They were dressed more for a country steak restaurant like Logan's or Cotton Patch than a farm house. Before the women wore dresses like women wore back in the olden days and the men wore white/baby blue button down shirts and tan slacks like farm hands would wear. The new outfits seemed more suited for the theme park at the front gate, a couple of the establishments in Ghost Town and maybe all of the Boardwalk area.

@Draginon Oh man, I wouldn't want to return after a dinner experience like that either! If it had just been your waitress I would've said maybe she was the source of the problem, but since the manager blew you off... Yeah, they'd lose me as a customer until they got their act together. Sorry you had such a rotten time there.

@Sunbird Yeah, I would've maybe given the place a second chance if it was just a bad server but the manager was pretty bad. I don't know if I can bring myself to go back with how they ruined the appearance of the restaurant since they forgot the important question 'we can do this but should we?' since it doesn't even feel like the same place anymore. To put it simply it'd be like going to a McDonald's but it was suddenly changed to a Burger King but still called themselves McDonald's. I didn't care that much for the food itself in the past but I returned because of the servers they had, the atmosphere and because it was someplace my grandma loved when she was alive. Now that all three are gone I just can't bring myself to return.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Hematist said:

I checked my ebook library to see if they had OB yet. I clicked on my recommendations to see, and had a flash of joy. It was on hold. I looked at my holds, and was #28 of 1 copy... That thoroughly ruined my morning.

Clearly your library doesn't understand priorities. Only one copy of Oathbringer? Those fools.

Pssst Ookla season is over

I'm supposedly having a good day. I didn't do much in school today. I'm listening to OB. I got awesome gifts today from secret santa, $80 worth of prizes from work, got a garbage plate (its a local thing, very delicious), and I only have one thing to do- an essay on an essay on frankenstein. I don't even have work. I did well in my dance class today. 

But, I feel empty inside. It was like this before I had a girlfriend, something I knew would happen as soon as I got broken up with. This deep loneliness, that no matter who I talk to, no matter how much I pray, just doesn't seem to go away. I'm very religious, but God isn't exactly a talking buddy that I can discuss comics with. It probably doesn't help that the Frankenstein essay I'm analyzing is on loneliness. I feel like I need to snuggle or hug something, but that really isn't an option available to me. So, I'll probably just power through my essay best I can, go back to listening to OB (in the middle of writing this I switched to Kaladin) and... yeah. 

At least tomorrow is the last day of school. And I'll basically be doing nothing after English tomorrow. My family reunion starts Saturday. Christmas is Monday. Maybe it'll get better. But I'm not sure it'll ever really go away permanently. I feel like I've always been more or less alone. 

Gosh I need to stop moping and get to work. 

@Steeldancer *Hugs*. I can't begin to fully understand the emptiness and loneliness that you are describing. However, know that in all of this you are not in fact alone. We are here to listen and talk. Keep your chin up and charge forward. We are here charging beside you. Stay strong and remember that we are here for you!

Edit:  @Steeldancer everyone has their own struggles. Your venting does not in any way diminish your or other people's struggles. Everyone needs a support system we are yours. You should not feel bad about wanting to be heard or wanting to talk about the challenges that you are dealing with. I can only speak for myself, but I'm here and I'm not bothered by being your sounding board. There is no such thing as too much venting. 

Edited by Nathrangking

11 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Sometimes I feel like I complain too much. I complain about being a little lonely, while others struggle with the will to live? Idk. That kind of just makes me feel worse. 

I know exactly how you feel. I struggle with that sometimes, and just know that we care for you here. I mean, I haven't fixed my problem, so I can't really help you with yours, but perk up! Think of something to do with all of your free time, because if you just waste it away, you'll feel like crap.

12 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

I'm supposedly having a good day. I didn't do much in school today. I'm listening to OB. I got awesome gifts today from secret santa, $80 worth of prizes from work, got a garbage plate (its a local thing, very delicious), and I only have one thing to do- an essay on an essay on frankenstein. I don't even have work. I did well in my dance class today. 

But, I feel empty inside. It was like this before I had a girlfriend, something I knew would happen as soon as I got broken up with. This deep loneliness, that no matter who I talk to, no matter how much I pray, just doesn't seem to go away. I'm very religious, but God isn't exactly a talking buddy that I can discuss comics with. It probably doesn't help that the Frankenstein essay I'm analyzing is on loneliness. I feel like I need to snuggle or hug something, but that really isn't an option available to me. So, I'll probably just power through my essay best I can, go back to listening to OB (in the middle of writing this I switched to Kaladin) and... yeah. 

At least tomorrow is the last day of school. And I'll basically be doing nothing after English tomorrow. My family reunion starts Saturday. Christmas is Monday. Maybe it'll get better. But I'm not sure it'll ever really go away permanently. I feel like I've always been more or less alone. 

Gosh I need to stop moping and get to work. 

It sounds to me like you need more non romantic friends. Or at least, non romantic friends who can emotionally support you. I know society is weird and guy and girl friendships work differently and you probably can't just ask a regular friend for a hug (but you should totally be able to!)

So theres this Twitter thread that goes around every now and then, and the conclusion is basically that, for whatever reason, guys have shallower relationships. Women put in the emotional labour for each other and for the guys in their life, whereas men associate emotional labour only with their significant others, and while male friendships involve common interests and doing things together, they don't usually involve emotionally supporting each other or being vulnerable on a deep level.

Of course these are all generalisations but Im maybe seeing that with you in this post? You need friends who care who can emotionally support you. Obviously we're here. And yeah, romantic relationships are really wonderful and I definitely know the kind of existential fear that goes with not having a special someone, but its also possible to have a real fulfilling life without romance. Its great, its important, its not everything.

11 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Sometimes I feel like I complain too much. I complain about being a little lonely, while others struggle with the will to live? Idk. That kind of just makes me feel worse. 

Great, and here comes SciShow, making me doubt myself now lol 

We all need people; there's a reason solitary confinement is the worst punishment. Plus my recent depression was brought on largely by loneliness. 

Edited by Del-light-full

1 hour ago, Del-light-full said:

It sounds to me like you need more non romantic friends. Or at least, non romantic friends who can emotionally support you. I know society is weird and guy and girl friendships work differently and you probably can't just ask a regular friend for a hug (but you should totally be able to!)

So theres this Twitter thread that goes around every now and then, and the conclusion is basically that, for whatever reason, guys have shallower relationships. Women put in the emotional labour for each other and for the guys in their life, whereas men associate emotional labour only with their significant others, and while male friendships involve common interests and doing things together, they don't usually involve emotionally supporting each other or being vulnerable on a deep level.

Of course these are all generalisations but Im maybe seeing that with you in this post? You need friends who care who can emotionally support you. Obviously we're here. And yeah, romantic relationships are really wonderful and I definitely know the kind of existential fear that goes with not having a special someone, but its also possible to have a real fulfilling life without romance. Its great, its important, its not everything.

We all need people; there's a reason solitary confinement is the worst punishment. Plus my recent depression was brought on largely by loneliness. 

You make a fair point, but what I'm looking for isn't romantic. Romance seems to fill it, but thats... not quite it. It's more of a need for being understood. Which my ex did very well. I have some great friends, but they don't have the same priorities and interests as me. And there's kind of a... disconnect. Idk. 

I'm feeling better today. It seems to have mostly stemmed from sitting around analyzing alienation themes. Even just ranting a bit makes me feel better. I really appreciate that there is an entire community of people willing to listen to my silly problems. 

5 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

You make a fair point, but what I'm looking for isn't romantic. Romance seems to fill it, but thats... not quite it. It's more of a need for being understood. Which my ex did very well. I have some great friends, but they don't have the same priorities and interests as me. And there's kind of a... disconnect. Idk. 

I'm feeling better today. It seems to have mostly stemmed from sitting around analyzing alienation themes. Even just ranting a bit makes me feel better. I really appreciate that there is an entire community of people willing to listen to my silly problems. 

Everybody needs someone who understands them. The only other option is feeling an intense loneliness. 

Don't think for a second that your problems are silly. There are very few silly problems, and nothing is gained by believing that yours is silly. 

On 22/12/2017 at 4:13 PM, Steeldancer said:

That's actually exactly my point. My inbox is open if you need. 

Edited by Del-light-full

Ugh, JFK is one of the worst airports I've ever been in, and I once spent 12 hours stuck in a three gate regional airport. 

Our flight has a connection through JFK. Instead of just walking to the another terminal, we had to leave the building, walk to a different building, and go through security again. Security was incredibly slow. They pulled my mom's suitcase out for a random search, which took even longer. The rest of us went ahead to the plane. Now I'm sitting on the plane, and she's still waiting to board because she was delayed so long. We made it to the terminal right when boarding started. 

If you have the option, don't fly through JFK. 

Edited by thegatorgirl00

Just now, Del-light-full said:

I had a really bad panic attack at work I think theyre gonna fire me, I want to quit but need money, I'm exhausted, hugs please?

Sorry to hear that. I'm having issues with my job as well. I'm really sick but have to be here cause they don't offer sick time off and don't have a reserve pool of employees to cover shifts. Went through the same thing in September with a broken foot. Had to work through it. Never even got to take a single day off my feet. 

9 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Sorry to hear that. I'm having issues with my job as well. I'm really sick but have to be here cause they don't offer sick time off and don't have a reserve pool of employees to cover shifts. Went through the same thing in September with a broken foot. Had to work through it. Never even got to take a single day off my feet. 

They don't offer sick time off? It's not the law? 

.....do I need to get mad at America again?

2 minutes ago, Del-light-full said:

They don't offer sick time off? It's not the law? 

.....do I need to get mad at America again?

It's gross subversion of what the law is...We accrue paid time off (pto) that is to be used for whatever days off we may want to take for whatever reason. The problem is that it's lumped together here in one "pool" and they (the company) mandate that it be paid out in cash every September, disallowing anyone the chance to save it up for when it might be needed. So if one was to miss a couple days of work and go to the Doctor, one would miss out on around $200 of pay plus have around another $100 in clinic bills.