Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

@Claincy that really sucks. I may not be saying anything even remotely helpful here, but have you looked into fibromyalgia? My mother was in a similar situation a few years back, and went through heaps of testing. The doctors were all "Well, we can't find anything wrong, so clearly it's all in your head!". She managed to get some decent treatment/medications after the eventual diagnosis.

Hugs and general moral support for everyone else, too!

@A Budgie @Delightful @Caesura *hugs* thanks :)

Firbomyalgia actually came to my attention as a possibility pretty recently. It does seem possible. The root cause of the headaches is probably the sinus issues but something else could be making them worse and the muscle pain is presumably not sinus related :P

My sister and dad both have chronic fatigue syndrome and my aunt has myalgic encephalomyelitis and/or fibromyalgia (don't remember off the top of my head) so there's something of a track record of that kind of illness in our family.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:51 PM, Claincy said:

@A Budgie @Delightful @Caesura *hugs* thanks :)

Firbomyalgia actually came to my attention as a possibility pretty recently. It does seem possible. The root cause of the headaches is probably the sinus issues but something else could be making them worse and the muscle pain is presumably not sinus related :P

My sister and dad both have chronic fatigue syndrome and my aunt has myalgic encephalomyelitis and/or fibromyalgia (don't remember off the top of my head) so there's something of a track record of that kind of illness in our family.

Yeah, nebulous autoimmune stuff like that is notoriously difficult to diagnose. It's quite possible you're all running off the same genetic basis for what's going on, and different doctors are having a tough time pinning it down. Make sure your doctor knows all of your family medical history since so much of that stuff is inherited.

My sister went through years of diagnosis hell. MS? Nope. Parkinsons? Nope. CFIDS? Getting warmer...

Oh hey, it's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome paired with a seizure disorder! And possibly fibromyalgia as well. Sigh, at least she knows now.

52 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Well my parents decided to take my phone because apparently I'm not being social, and spending too much time on the Shard. Ugh. 

Thankfully they'll be giving it back to me by the 14th so I can still read the Ebook I purchased 

Ouch. I was in almost this exact same situation a while back. The only difference is that they claimed I was being anti-social because I was reading a paper back copy of WoK. Glad you'll get your phone back before OB.

2 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Ouch. I was in almost this exact same situation a while back. The only difference is that they claimed I was being anti-social because I was reading a paper back copy of WoK. Glad you'll get your phone back before OB.

I really really hate those conversations. I'm not antisocial, i just like reading books better. And talking to all y'all on the shard :wub:

On 11/11/2017 at 5:07 AM, Kaymyth said:

Yeah, nebulous autoimmune stuff like that is notoriously difficult to diagnose. It's quite possible you're all running off the same genetic basis for what's going on, and different doctors are having a tough time pinning it down. Make sure your doctor knows all of your family medical history since so much of that stuff is inherited.

My sister went through years of diagnosis hell. MS? Nope. Parkinsons? Nope. CFIDS? Getting warmer...

Oh hey, it's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome paired with a seizure disorder! And possibly fibromyalgia as well. Sigh, at least she knows now.

That's good advice, thankyou :)

I think he knows a good bit of it already from appointments with my sister and dad but I'll talk with my aunt too before I next see him and talk about it directly then.

52 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Just got rejected from another job. This is tiring. 

Looking for a job has to be one of the most soul crushing endeavors. I have a degree in teaching, clean record, and 5 years experience in being a security officer and I was told that I was, "Not qualified to be a school security guard." Its true what they say that its not what you know, but who you know. Best of luck!

So I love my signed copy of WoR. It... Was a paperback. It split in half the other day. 

Then, my brother took half of it to a dance yesterday, and FORGOT ABOUT IT. So I no longer have the second half of WoR. And I don't have my phone. And I didn't face my ex yesterday because I'm a coward. Gah. I need Oathbringer already. 

5 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Looking for a job has to be one of the most soul crushing endeavors. I have a degree in teaching, clean record, and 5 years experience in being a security officer and I was told that I was, "Not qualified to be a school security guard." Its true what they say that its not what you know, but who you know. Best of luck!

Yup. Trying to go for Dory 'just keep swimming, just keep swimming.' Im having days when I don't apply for anything, and days I apply for ten jobs accompanied by the soul crushing feeling that I should be doing so much more. 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:47 AM, Delightful said:

Just got rejected from another job. This is tiring. 

:( Just keep at it. Somebody will recognize your value soon enough. 

23 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Crazy. I have about 8.3 years of security experience. Really happy that I'm not doing it anymore either. 

Hey, cats and kittens! It's been a while, but here we are, back with a new installment in the saga of A Life Working For Redacted, Inc!

[Background: my job is horrendously mundane, but I'm cagey about it. My caginess led to certain individuals deciding that I work for a secret government agency that protects us from supernatural and otherworldly threats. I run with it because it's entertaining.]

So, Redacted Inc maintains landing pads for different types of flying saucers - blue, red, and yellow. We'll say that the Blue saucers are our best allies - they give us lots of intel. Red saucers are okay, but not as cool as Blue. Yellow we don't really have any control over at all, they answer to a different department, but they get to use our landing pads anyway, cause we're cool like that.

This nomenclature has been in place for more years than I have worked here.

A couple years ago, some things got shaken up around here, splitting some of our flying saucer knowledge between two teams. My team works heavily with saucers, while the other team focuses more on cryptid sightings, but do a bit of saucers on the side. Except that recently, they've started referring to the Red saucers internally as "Yellow" because they don't know the Yellow ones exist at all, and Red was I guess a bit too close to Blue for them to get it straight.

Cause this morning, I got an email from one of our clients' providers of landing lights; different patterns of lights are needed for different types of saucer landings. And they're having problems with Yellow light patterns not working properly.

I actually had to ask and verify if they really meant Yellow and not Red.

This confusion is annoying the rust out of me and I'm going to start correcting coworkers about Red vs. Yellow flying saucers, and I don't care whose toes I step on when I do it.

I am Captain Sassypants today. Fear me.

Ugh, it's been a rotten few days. I've been mildly sick for about a week, but yesterday and today it's definitely gotten worse.

Last night I grabbed some Panda Express for dinner, and I feel extremely lucky that I managed to drive home safely, given that I was struggling not to literally fall asleep on my feet both while I was standing in line and after I arrived home. Didn't even manage to eat the food, I was so sleepy.

And then once I actually got in bed, I spent what felt like a storming hour shivering violently under the blankets before actually getting to sleep.

Today I've been getting dizzy every time I stand up, and my internal thermometer is all stormed up--my body can't decide whether it's overheating or freezing. Add in a constant throbbing headache and that weird "I'm hungry but I don't wanna eat" feeling, and I feel like total crem. I'm 99% sure it's the flu.

15 minutes ago, Sunchicken said:

Ugh, it's been a rotten few days. I've been mildly sick for about a week, but yesterday and today it's definitely gotten worse.

Last night I grabbed some Panda Express for dinner, and I feel extremely lucky that I managed to drive home safely, given that I was struggling not to literally fall asleep on my feet both while I was standing in line and after I arrived home. Didn't even manage to eat the food, I was so sleepy.

And then once I actually got in bed, I spent what felt like a storming hour shivering violently under the blankets before actually getting to sleep.

Today I've been getting dizzy every time I stand up, and my internal thermometer is all stormed up--my body can't decide whether it's overheating or freezing. Add in a constant throbbing headache and that weird "I'm hungry but I don't wanna eat" feeling, and I feel like total crem. I'm 99% sure it's the flu.

I can relate on how terrifying it is to be shivering violently under a million blankets. Hope you feel better. 

1 hour ago, Sunchicken said:

I just had that. I have never shivered violently until a few days ago. 

For me, it lasted a couple days with Alka Seltzer cold and cough and sleep helping me the most. 

On 11/17/2017 at 4:12 PM, Darkness_ said:

I'm curious what saucer stands for.

You will never know. (I've used it multiple times, and it doesn't always mean the same thing. They're just convenient stand-ins.)

Amusingly, even @ThirdGen doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about, and he works in the same office as me. <_<

On 11/17/2017 at 8:01 PM, Sunchicken said:

That is definitely the flu. Get thee to a doctor if you haven't already.

Have you ever had times where the bad things just keep piling up to the point where you realize that it's almost comical, and you know in a few years, you'll probably chuckle about it? That's this past week for me.

I returned from New Zealand last Wednesday, and came home to find that one of my roommates had removed every last thing of mine from the living room (they already made me get rid of my books and bookshelves  from the living room because "books are unfriendly") and dumped it along with every other unwanted thing (that wasn't mine) in the middle of my room, taking up a ton of space and making it practically impossible to get around my room. I was pissed. And jet lagged. And emotional. I cried. Hard. For a while.

The next couple days went by without incident and then Monday rolled around, and I had a performance review at work, where they gave me a 'final' writeup, when they'd never given me any writeup previously, and there were lies on the document. Now, the issue going on is a problem, but it's a problem because they gave me literally no training or resources to do this part of the job, and I've been mentioning it in every weekly update for the past two months. And they've done nothing. I've tried to fix it myself, but my attempts have failed for a variety of reasons, and now they're saying I should've been more proactive. When they're the ones who didn't provide what I needed to do my job and I'd been mentioning it for months. And the weekly updates were meant to catch issues before they became major....like, to the point where, oh I don't know, when a writeup might be necessary? I now have the right training and, shockingly, I've figured out that part of the job spectacularly.

The next day (yesterday), my dad texted my siblings and I to tell us that my grandma's health has taken a turn and she's not eating or drinking and only has a few days left to live. And then today, a little over an hour ago, he told us she'd passed.

I'm still jet lagged. Why did everything have to hit at a time when I'm not emotionally capable to handle it?