Kvothe

KaIadin

First, I want to say I really enjoy reading your posts Maxal... they're generally well thought out and presented and interesting to read.

This topic has given me a lot of time to think about _why_ Kvothe and The Kingkiller Chronicle just didn't work for me when some of the traits I claim to really dislike in Kvothe are onces that I enjoy or can forgive in other characters.   (  For instance, Jasnah is also a brilliant, workaholic, perfectionist who is proud and would never minimize her own accomplishments.  Will Hunting is another example of a brilliant, cocky kid who has a 'me against the world' attitude. )

I guess part of the feeling I get from Kingkiller is that one of the things that he is so proud about himself is how clever he is...  I get the feeling he's not really proud of the fact that he wins so often, it's that he's proud of how he wins by bending the rules, outright breaking them, or tricking people and then claims that since it was the only way he could have won it's OK to do so.   To me, he is the opposite of a Radiant... he puts the destination before the journey.   I don't admire this. 

I think he's supposed to come off charming enough for the reader to at least sympathize with him.. but it didn't work for me.  This whole attitude really gets under my skin.. I feel like if I were trapped in an elevator with him for any length of time I would just lose my temper and start screaming at him... and even worse, his response wouldn't be "Gosh, I really got her mad... I wonder why" it would be "Wow.  She's a hateful #(&% who clearly can't understand me"

Honestly, I think maybe the other characters in the book are flat because in his mind he ( and Denna ) are the only real people in the world.  The only thing that matters about anyone else is how they respond to him.

Innkeeper-Kvothe is little more approachable to me because he finally seems to have realized that his need to 'win' has consequences for everyone around him... but seriously, he basically has to destroy the lives of everyone else on the continent for him to realize that. 

:sigh: and now, I think I need to be done with this topic.  It's been truly fascinating to try to reason out what's going on in my head, but it's also keeping me from doing things I need to do and since it's also requires dwelling on a person who irritates me, it's negatively affecting my mood as well.

They aren't simply good, they are awesome! Rothfuss may be the best author in terms of the mastery of the language; his story is captivating,

Unfortunately his plotting is less so. Supposedly Kvothe has narrated the content of these two huge volumes of his early biography in two days besides his work at the tavern, there is only one day remaining and so far he has not even been kicked out of university or found out anything about the big bad antagonist.

He spent those volumes  bullied at campus, bullied on campus some more, hunting bandits for a nobleman, being introduced to the pleasures of sex by not one, but two women, one a sex elf, the others a ninja fighter, , more bullying on campus, and then he gets a ninja crash course by sexy ninja chick along with a legendary sword. Yawn.

Over those two books Kvothe slowly turns into an unlikealbe Gary Stu.

Edited by Garfield

I couldn't help but laugh guys. I was at the bookstore earlier today and I saw his books. But then I put them back. Are they good?

Rothfuss and Sanderson have different strengths. For me, Rothfuss' prose is beautiful, he writes more elegantly and is one of the best fantasy writers from this aspect that I have read. I thoroughly recommend The Name of the Wind at least

Also, with Kvothe remember that, as Maxal says, it's both a tragic story in which he ruins everything because of his character (the Marty Stu aspects are the pride setting himself up for a massive fall) and also it's told by an unreliable narrator who is possibly intentionally inflating his legend for vain or genuinely useful purposes. We know very little of the "modern day" scenario too, and why he is where he is and talking to whom he is talking (I suspect there is far more there than meets the eye, and it's no accident on Kote's part).

Really? I am more intelligent than avarage, and know my share people who are probably much more intelligent than me and still threat others less intelligent than them normaly, while I felt like Kvothe was trying to show how smarter than everyone he was every two chapters.

He isn't the accidentaly arrogant smart guy, who subcounciously assumes he is tge most intelligent in the room even when he means absolutely no harm because he usually is the smartest in the room. He isn't the guy who assumes everyone to be as intelligent as he is and confuses them. He isn't the guy who is smart but has no clue about how to deal with people and either does not notice or does not care.

He feels like the guy who takes pleasure of being above others and showing it to them, something that is very anoying for me as a reader.

You see, I accept your opinion, but this is not what I read into the character or the text. Except with people he actively dislikes which ends up being about 3 characters throughout.

Funny thing is, that is exactly why David from Steelheart got on my nerves really fast. First I thought I did not like the book. Then I realized that Brandon had perfectly depicted a17 year old boy and that I just do not like 17 year old boys. So it just unterlined Brandons mastery.

Wow, i think that might have just summarized why i hated the books. I know enough people like this in real life ( minus the actual genius part) that i dont want to spend time with kvothe in my private reading time.... And singe he is the narrator youre stuck with just his pov for the entire blasted series.

Edited by Atastor

Also, with Kvothe remember that, as Maxal says, it's both a tragic story in which he ruins everything because of his character (the Marty Stu aspects are the pride setting himself up for a massive fall) and also it's told by an unreliable narrator who is possibly intentionally inflating his legend for vain or genuinely useful purposes. We know very little of the "modern day" scenario too, and why he is where he is and talking to whom he is talking (I suspect there is far more there than meets the eye, and it's no accident on Kote's part).

No, there is a simple technical plotting problem.

He can not have told the whole 1st person narrative of the first two volumes in the time given in the books. It s technically not possible, unless the days on this world have something like 50 hours or so and he doesn't have to take care for his inn.

Try listening to the audiobooks as I did, then it becomes extremely obvious that the time frame and the amount of 1st person narrative is not only a little, but massively out of balance. And now he has to finish this in one volume, with all the tons of open plot points. that has to be told, because he can not simply decide to do two more volumes instead of one.

The other thing I don't like is that after two of three volumes, the Chandrian plot has not advanced in the slightest. I'm not a reader who needs frantic action all the time, but Rothfuss excessively meanders through uninteresting side plots that BORED me after a while. Character development stuff and main plot are out of balance too.

Edited by Garfield

Eh, I dunno. I never really felt like he was taking pleasure in being above people/showing it to them. He IS arrogant, but it never extends to that.

I don't know, it has been some time since I read the book. I remember that most of the scenes that irritated me were when he was lying his way into places and throwing "witty" remarks at the bully.

I have little problem with people being dishonest when they have little choice, but I felt he was downright proud with it. And while sarcastic remarks are good in moderation, most "battles of wit" that are not exceptionaly writen feel imature to me.

I feel the same about the use of wit in Brandon's books, and if it wasn't for the blurring of truth and lies that gives a philosophical bent to Shallan's cons, and her more altruistic goals, I'd see her in a similar light as Kvothe.

No, there is a simple technical plotting problem.

He can not have told the whole 1st person narrative of the first two volumes in the time given in the books. It s technically not possible, unless the days on this world have something like 50 hours or so and he doesn't have to take care for his inn.

Try listening to the audiobooks as I did, then it becomes extremely obvious that the time frame and the amount of 1st person narrative is not only a little, but massively out of balance. And now he has to finish this in one volume, with all the tons of open plot points. that has to be told, because he can not simply decide to do two more volumes instead of one.

The other thing I don't like is that after two of three volumes, the Chandrian plot has not advanced in the slightest. I'm not a reader who needs frantic action all the time, but Rothfuss excessively meanders through uninteresting side plots that BORED me after a while. Character development stuff and main plot are out of balance too.

Not that I particularly disagree, but was this me at to be in reply to me? It doesn't seem to follow from my post

I really like the first two books that are out so far...I do agree with some of the things that have been said about the plot being a little plodding and lacking in development with regards to the chandrian storyline...but it didn't really bother me all that much.  The rest is so much fun to read that I found myself getting involved despite the lack of progression.

My one gripe with the series is...how to say this...Denna...is an irritation of 3 parts...I'd list what parts those were...but the moderators might get upset...

By the way...why is this in Stormlight Archive again???

Edited by hoidhunter

And, no, I don't expect any upvotes from 17 yo for that post ... O:-) 

Funny thing is, that is exactly why David from Steelheart got on my nerves really fast. First I thought I did not like the book. Then I realized that Brandon had perfectly depicted a17 year old boy and that I just do not like 17 year old boys. So it just unterlined Brandons mastery.

• Chaos locked this topic