Kvothe

KaIadin

I just noted in the rereading of WoR that in the interlude with Ryse that the place is called Reshi (one of Kvothe's 100? names). Sanderson might also be making a further reference to the Kingkiller Chronicles as the islanders seemed to ignore their nudity, somewhat like the Adem. (This obviously proves that Kingkillers Chronicles is Cosmere) 

They aren't simply good, they are awesome! Rothfuss may be the best author in terms of the mastery of the language; his story is captivating, and as far as the world and magic goes, it definitely could be cosmere. He also likes to play a bit with the tropes :)
Rothfuss may not write fast (the wait for book three is killing us), but it's definitely worthy to read.

As for the Sanderson = Rothfuss... Well, Sanderson did spike him for writing speed, so in return he referenced his books XD

Edited by Oversleep

I couldn't help but laugh guys. I was at the bookstore earlier today and I saw his books. But then I put them back. Are they good?

They are very good. Very beautiful. The second book has a large section though that's.....somebody help me, I'm too exhausted at the moment to describe the Fellurian/Parts of Adem section.

I couldn't help but laugh guys. I was at the bookstore earlier today and I saw his books. But then I put them back. Are they good?

Ive only read Name Of The Wind, but yes, it is really good, not without problems, or that really plodding end where he doesnt really know how he wants to wrap it up so he can get onto the next book, but I would recommend it.

Anyway what would the planets Shards be? Naming and Equivalence?

Edited by Morzathoth

They are very good. Very beautiful. The second book has a large section though that's.....somebody help me, I'm too exhausted at the moment to describe the Fellurian/Parts of Adem section.

You should listen to the first episode of "unattended consequences", a podcast that Patrick Rothfuss does with one of the creators of "cards against humanity". He takes about how different people like/hate different parts of his books. I happened to like those sections.

I know i am in the minority, but i disliked kingkiller chronicle. kvothe mostly irritated me, every time the love interest showed up i thought ' really? Here too?' And the Adem just dropped me out of my suspension of disbelief so much it ruined the rest of the book as well...

I am not sure if i have met anyone else who shared my opinion of the books though... So it might be just me.

I know i am in the minority, but i disliked kingkiller chronicle. kvothe mostly irritated me, every time the love interest showed up i thought ' really? Here too?' And the Adem just dropped me out of my suspension of disbelief so much it ruined the rest of the book as well...

I am not sure if i have met anyone else who shared my opinion of the books though... So it might be just me.

I liked the first book, and the second too, but after some time I lost interest, and looking back found the story and secondary characters weak. Kvothe was irritating sometimes, but more often than not he was interesting, and I am still curious about how he fell so low.

The side characters, though, were flattest than Pattern's physical form, and the lack of a central plot in the flashbacks makes them less interesting than the interludes in my opinion.

Ademre was horrible. I can't say how often my imersion was broken to pieces and scattered to the winds since Kvothe met Felurian.

Well, at least the prose is nice?

Edited by DreamEternal

I found the plot of the first just interesting enough to convince me to give the second book a shot, but the things that irritated me overwhelmed my curiosity. Plus, i went in knowing rothfuss was a slow writer, and after getting burned on GRRM ( started reading game of thrones about 19 years ago) the book would have had to have been phenominal to get me invested...

Rothfuss seems like a decent guy though.... Just not a writer for me.

I liked the magic and the idea of the university.

I think I would habe enjoyed those books more if there were other viewpoints than kvotes.

He is ment to be a brilliant mind but in most situations he fails to use common sense. And denna...*(roles eyes excessively)

The adem where the best part for me.

But tastes are diffrent and thata just good.

I enjoyed Kingkiller Chronicles (KCC) quite a bit. It's been a while, and I'm not re-reading till book 3 is published, but here are some things I remember that might help you decide whether to read:

The protagonist Kvothe is narrating his life story to a chronicler, who is writing it down. This is taking place over 3 days, each of which is a book (The Name of the Wind = Day/Book 1; The Wise Man's Fear = Day/Book 2; The Stone Door ((I think that's the title)) = Day/Book 3).

The pertinent thing here is that we do not know that Kvothe is a reliable narrator; in fact, we suspect that he may be an extremely unreliable one, and nothing is as it appears to him.

There are a ton of mysterious magicks in Rothfuss' world-building: What are the Chandrian really, and is there a new one, and is it Kvothe? What about that tree in the Fae otherworld (can't remember the name)? What is in that locked box and why can't Kvothe open it? What is Auri's Underthing, really (it's sort of like catacombs), who built it, when, and why? etc.

His apprentice Bast calls him "Reshi," which most people assume means "master" but I have posted here on the Shard that I wonder if it doesn't mean "enemy," and Bast is waiting for some trigger event to resume a fight with Kvothe.

I must admit that I skimmed the Felurian bits - I'm not into erotica at all and will skim/skip parts of books to avoid it. It's pretty easy to do in this series.

There are so many, many loose ends that need to be tied up in Book 3 that it's no wonder it's taking Rothfuss so long. I wonder if he really had the whole arc planned out as well beforehand as Brandon does; if he didn't, I don't know how he's going to pull off completing the story in only 1 more book though he says he can.

It's a single world, not a cosmere, and the world-building and list of characters are much more limited, but there is every bit the same amount of speculation on KCC that there is on the Cosmere, taken proportionally. Though the publisher is Daw, Tor.com has a re-read of the books published so far: http://www.tor.com/series/patrick-rothfuss-reread/

hth :) 

You should listen to the first episode of "unattended consequences", a podcast that Patrick Rothfuss does with one of the creators of "cards against humanity". He takes about how different people like/hate different parts of his books. I happened to like those sections.

Accidental downvote... :(

I absolutely adored the Kingkiller: I thought it was a refreshing tale told from a unique perspective and I soon couldn't put the book down. The story of how Kvothe started up, how he "apparently" accomplished these mysterious feats while knowing his older self likely is embellishing the tale greatly was captivating. 

As a character, Kvothe essentially is an hyper-active genius who thinks himself smarter than everyone else and has not, on the top of his 17 years of age (that's about how old he is in The Wise Man's Fear), saw reasons enough to doubt himself. He is pathetically ingrained with a courtesan named Denna who hasn't done much to retain his attention, but keeps popping into the story at the most inappropriate times. It is a teenage crush, a grating one as we, the readers, all wish he would moved on, but it is part of the story, the girl is part of the legend. Hence we suffer her and watch Kvothe as we would any love sick teenager not wanting to drop the ball.

There is some of Hercule in him as he goes through those "adventures" to gather his skill-set: Felurian, the Ademe, all taught him something, but we are left wondering... Did he really slept with a fairy sex goddess or he is making it up to make himself more interesting? We must not forget Kvothe has been essentially raised by a troupe of travelling performers: his whole life is an act, a performance where he stands at the center being obnoxiously talented at it until his over-confidence and his arrogance comes to slap him into the face and throw him out of it... but the habit remains... as older Kvothe still cannot shake the performer out of him. He is not just telling the tale: he is turning his life into a play where he is the main protagonist, hence the fact there are basically no side characters.

All in all, Kingkiller is a masterfully told tale and it is totally worth reading it. I consider these books to be amount the best ones out there, well among those I have read.

This being said, I don't think we can compare Rothfuss to Brandon: both authors have a completely different writing style, different strengths and different weaknesses. However, I have found appreciating one author does not prevent from appreciating another one: these stories are just different. 

As a character, Kvothe essentially is an hyper-active genius who thinks himself smarter than everyone else and has not, on the top of his 17 years of age (that's about how old he is in The Wise Man's Fear), saw reasons enough to doubt himself.

Wow, i think that might have just summarized why i hated the books. I know enough people like this in real life ( minus the actual genius part) that i dont want to spend time with kvothe in my private reading time.... And since he is the narrator youre stuck with just his pov for the entire blasted series.

Wow, i think that might have just summarized why i hated the books. I know enough people like this in real life ( minus the actual genius part) that i dont want to spend time with kvothe in my private reading time.... And since he is the narrator youre stuck with just his pov for the entire blasted series.

Well, he may think himself smarter than the rest, but when does he act in this way? Like I-am-smarter-go-eat-crem? As far as smart people go (and I met a fair share of them) he is really nice. He is not falsely shy, he acknowledges the fact that he is smarter than the average and uses that fact when he is planning something, but I haven't noticed him gloating or somethin'.

Well, he may think himself smarter than the rest, but when does he act in this way? Like I-am-smarter-go-eat-crem? As far as smart people go (and I met a fair share of them) he is really nice. He is not falsely shy, he acknowledges the fact that he is smarter than the average and uses that fact when he is planning something, but I haven't noticed him gloating or somethin'.

Really? I am more intelligent than avarage, and know my share people who are probably much more intelligent than me and still threat others less intelligent than them normaly, while I felt like Kvothe was trying to show how smarter than everyone he was every two chapters.

He isn't the accidentaly arrogant smart guy, who subcounciously assumes he is tge most intelligent in the room even when he means absolutely no harm because he usually is the smartest in the room. He isn't the guy who assumes everyone to be as intelligent as he is and confuses them. He isn't the guy who is smart but has no clue about how to deal with people and either does not notice or does not care.

He feels like the guy who takes pleasure of being above others and showing it to them, something that is very anoying for me as a reader.

Edited by DreamEternal

Really? I am more intelligent than avarage, and know my share people who are probably much more intelligent than me and still threat others less intelligent than them normaly, while I felt like Kvothe was trying to show how smarter than everyone he was every two chapters.

He isn't the accidentaly arrogant smart guy, who subcounciously assumes he is tge most intelligent in the room even when he means absolutely no harm because he usually is the smartest in the room. He isn't the guy who assumes everyone to be as intelligent as he is and confuses them. He isn't the guy who is smart but has no clue about how to deal with people and either does not notice or does not care.

He feels like the guy who takes pleasure of being above others and showing it to them, something that is very anoying for me as a reader.

Eh, I dunno. I never really felt like he was taking pleasure in being above people/showing it to them. He IS arrogant, but it never extends to that.

Careful with Kvothe... He narrated his story by presenting himself as arrogantly smarter than everyone else while being kind and helpful: he hardly has any flaws, but we the readers get to see them through the imperfections of his narration. Older Kvothe isn't being accurate... and we see the story from his eyes. Not all he says is true and more importantly whatever truth there is in his words happened exactly how he said it happened.

We aren't supposed to love Kvothe or even like him: we are supposed to be fascinated in a Machiavellian way by him while waiting to see how he ends up losing it all.

Kvothe isn't a hero: he is a massive screw-up as for all his geniuses he still ends up in bartender in a remote town unable to perform any magic, a pale shadow of what he once been: at 25 years old.

The beauty of Kingkiller is how the story is being told.