What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

Currently gotten into The Silo. First episode seems solid so far and I do love me some post-apocalyptic nonsense, which is what this seems to be. Also got Foundation and House of the Dragon on my radar... eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished High Score Girl. I swear, this is one of the absolute most adorable couples I've seen in a piece of fiction, and I'm both satisfied I got to see 24 episodes of it, and dying to see more. The fighting games history class aspect of the show was really interesting too. The gaming industry of the 90s is something I usually only get to see in documentaries and stuff, so following a character living through the times was really cool.

Only thing I would say I disliked about the show is the presence, if relatively small, of a love triangle. But that's only because I like the main couple so much, I resented pretty much any character that caused the plot to deviate from that. But the third person is a good character too and I can't exactly say she didn't contribute to the plot.

I'm sad it's over, though I hear there's a sequel/spin-off that takes place about 10 years later. That's quite the leap and likely not what I want to see but if I can revisit these characters I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first two episodes of My Adventures With Superman aka Magical Girl Superman. It's good so far! It's pretty. It's a light and breezy take on the Boy Wonder, something that feels pretty refreshing after the serious take of Henry Cavill's take on Superman and the dad that is Tyler Hoechlin's take. (For the record, I enjoy both takes.) There isn't too much to say on this show just yet, since it's only two episodes in, but I'm loving the reinterpretation of Superman and DC staples as well as the actions and visuals. If you're a fan of Superman and have watched any shows featuring or about the character since Smallville, nothing so far should surprise you, but it's enjoyable all the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a man called Otto and WOW it was so sad, great movie though but if you are going to watch it tw: it does contain references to suicide,

On a happier note I've been watching Brooklyn 99 which is hilarious, as always.

Movies: 

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - Part One. A great movie full of fun action, good set pieces, and a plot that was pretty easy to follow this time around. (Last time wasn't bad either tho.) The fight scenes were a bit choppy and the dialogue was quite generic at times, but a fun cast, dynamic (to the point of distracting at times IMO) framing, and very solid chemistry between the leads make it a phenomenal MI film. 9/10. 

Oppenheimer. Beautiful. Almost too beautiful. And so well cut! The pacing is a bit weird, but I also started the movie 10 minutes late unfortunately. On the bright side, I got to see it in 70mm IMAX, so it was stunning. I'm still annoyed that the movie was this good, as it probably knocks Across the Spider-Verse out of the "Best Picture" category. (Oh, I have no doubt Spider-Verse will win the "Best Animated Picture" category and maybe something for visuals or score, but Oppenheimer takes the cake here.) 9.5/10. I was unable to do the Barbienheimmer thing though, due to scheduling and the start of the school year. 

Shows: 

My Adventures With Superman. Aka Magical Girl Superman. Aka Sailer Krypton. Aka Superman the Anime. Aka a really fun and bright take on the Man of Steel. Clark Kent (age 22 or 23) is looking to be just a regular person, but between his own fractured knowledge of who he is, his own too-good-for-this-Earth nature, and his propensity for accidentally breaking anything he slightly grips or slaps, that's...out of the picture. But never fear! Along for the ride are his bests friend Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane. This show is interesting. Die-hard Prescriptivists of DC will probably take offense to the show, given how it plays with certain characters' looks, origins, and relationships to Superman. Others may praise this show and its tone as the best thing that's happened for Superman in decades. I'm personally somewhere in the middle, although I lean into the optimism. I love new takes on characters. I see each superhero as a tapestry, and each adaptation or run as a chance to add to that tapestry. Each change in actor or animation style brings in a different way of interpreting the characters involved, which in turn makes each performance that much different. Sometimes these changes are so defining that adaptations in other media conform to it. (See Black Nick Fury vs the pre-Ultimate Spider-Man and Samuel L Jackson version, or RDJ's Iron Man, who, while he looked like the character, had all other versions of the character* ultimately become more like him.) 

I bring this up because MAWS adds a fun homage to the anime, specifically shonen anime and the magical girl genre, to Superman with light, colorful openings and changing sequences, fun fights, and random power growths. (Not unlike Smallville for the latter example.) 

Do I think this show is the best version of Superman in years? Not really. I enjoyed Snyder's "God Amongst Man" interpretation of Space Jesus Clark, and I really like seeing the Superhero/Father/Husband/Friend balancing act that Clark in Superman & Lois has going on.* But as someone once smarter than me who I can't remember once said, after a certain point with superheroes who have been around long enough, you're not adapting a character, you're adapting a mythos, which is FAR more interesting to me. 8/10. 

*As an aside, I haven't seen a lot of fans like the aging up of Jon Kent in the comics. If they ever decide to de-age him, I think splitting him up between his older self and his younger self would be a cool way to introduce "Jordan" into the mythos.  

5 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I'm still annoyed that the movie was this good, as it probably knocks Across the Spider-Verse out of the "Best Picture" category. (Oh, I have no doubt Spider-Verse will win the "Best Animated Picture" category and maybe something for visuals or score, but Oppenheimer takes the cake here.)

It was never gonna win Best Picture anyway. They don't take animated films seriously. Original movie got snubbed, this one won't be different

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...