What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

• 3 weeks later...

I watched The Winter Soldier again last night.  I think it's still my favorite MCU movie.

Edit: I watched it because it was too difficult to find something else to watch and I didn't feel like being adventurous, so if anyone has recommendations for sci-fi, fantasy, or historical movies, let me know.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

The Fall of Civilizations podcast.  I watch the version with stock footage because I like having visuals.  

It's quite interesting, I like how the information is delivered.  I watched the Assyrian episode a few months back, and now in the past few days I've watched the Fall of Roman Britain and the Bronze Age Collapse episodes.  

Watched The Secrets of Dumbledore. Such an amateurish script without any actual purpose or aim. And yet, astonishingly, so much better than the second one.

In between this, the Star Wars sequels and the Hobbit films, the three biggest franchises of my teenage years sure have fallen deep over the last ten years. I'm so glad to have the Cosmere now :D 

stuff im watching on Tubi

Mortal Kombat Legends 1 and 2

House III aka Horror Show

then on Netflix

Season 2/3 of Z Nation

the last 3 episodes of Season 10 of Walking Dead

The Flash

and binge watching rewatching Gilmore Girls. a sort of guilty pleasure show that i watched a few times on CW few years ago

Recently watched Gokseong, or The Wailing as it has been localized. That was a weird movie. Weird in the sense that it's different to every other horror movie I've seen. It's a mystery and a dang good one, considering I was still debating the right answer in the last 5 minutes of the movie. It's a slow burn and one I genuinely didn't have much hope for during the first half hour or so but it turned out to be one of my favorites in the genre. It's also fairly graphic and has some pretty strong scenes, I didn't know pain could be acted so well until I saw some of these.

Also, it's on the supernatural/spiritual side, and you're not supposed to make a mix like this and still get something that makes sense. There's religious aspects from at least three cultures I think and they all somehow coexist with each other. It all seems based on Korean folklore but they managed to get a bit of Japanese in there. And by the time a christian priest appears I just accept everything else that the movie throws at me. But I promise, it works. Somehow.

It's a bit over two hours and a half, has some of the most disturbing scenes I've seen in a horror movie, had me second-guessing myself constantly through its entire runtime, and it's a thoroughly heartbreaking experience to watch. 10/10, would recommend.

Also watched Ringu. This one was fairly interesting in that one could argue that they underuse the ghost, but I really enjoyed the overall mystery. Obviously a lot more traditional, you just enjoy watching the characters doing the part of an investigator, and you're just trying to help them as the story progresses. My only real gripe with the movie is that it seems purposefully inconclusive. I guess I should spoiler this part as I talk about the ending.

Spoiler

See, these kind of ghost stories, regardless of having a happy ending or a sad one, usually provide some kind of closure to the apparition in the movie. It's exorcised, most of the time. Or in cases the ghost wins, but by achieving their purpose, they disappear. Not here, the entire plot of the movie is pointed to that one purpose, exorcising the ghost. It even goes as far as telling you the characters succeeded in doing so. Only to pull a curve ball by then saying they actually accomplished nothing and immediately ending the movie at that point. That just feels like franchise bait to me. Like from the beginning they wanted to make more than one movie and decided to leave the viewers unsatisfied so they'd watch the next one. Horror is probably the one genre where I don't like that. Will watch the next one as I was interested anyway, but this kind of lowered my expectations a bit.

And also watched Dark Water, the Japanese one. I actually loved the American version as a kid, but only recently learned it was based off a Japanese movie. I can't say I understand why the practice of adapting foreign movies is so popular, or why it mostly happens with horror. Can't people just watch the original? Anyway, this was really enjoyable for me. It struck a really nice balance of setting up the atmosphere and the scares themselves. It's not long either (I mean, they rarely are, Gokseong is the odd one here) so it's a perfect fit for a casual movie night or something.

Easy to watch, easy to empathize with the characters, the horror is fun and well executed, and I don't know, I just really liked this one. As much as I like the unsettling sense of paranoia of something like The Witch, or the uncomfortable fear of humans themselves while watching The Babadook, or the absolute lack of safety and certainty mixed with suffering of Gokseong, I think my favorite horror movies are still the plain old ghost stories. "A family man killed his wife and kid and since then their spirits attack anyone who enters their house, with lots of shadows in cameras and ghosts standing behind you in the process"? Heck yeah, I'll take five (that one is Ju-On btw). It may be basic, but I just really like those kinds of stories.

Earlier I watched Six. It’s a great musical concert with a wonderful cast of women. Everyone in it was fantastic and did their own renditions on the songs. I was in a mezzanine box, so I was off to the side a little, but it was based off the discounted tickets available through work and these were the few good options I could get without going back of balcony seating.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite enjoy long movies, in general, when they're good.  And I have no problem with sweeping landscape shots.  So I enjoyed Lawrence of Arabia.  That was a good movie.  

I then watched Little Women, the 1985 version, right after, which is a pretty steep pacing jump, but I enjoyed that as well.  Not sure on the historical accuracy of some of the costumes, but they were quite pretty, and I liked the adaption overall.