What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

20 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Finally got around to watching Stranger Things, and I just finished Season 1. I gotta say, that show is storming cool, and I can’t wait to see all of the other seasons!! (The Demigorgon is the best, I want more of it)

I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time!

I got my first Criterion Collection film last night. The film is Godzilla. It was pretty good and the HD transfer is fantastic considering the original film is gone and all they have is a 35mm fine-grain master positive. They also include Godzilla, King of the Monsters which I’m finding to be dull compared to the original which I couldn’t stop watching but find myself wanting to stop watching the Americanized re-edit almost the whole time.

Can’t wait to watch the supplements which consist of:

1. Commentaries for both versions provided by film historian David Kalat

2. Interviews with actors Akira Takarada and Haruo Nakajima and special effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Enzo Kaimai (these are all separate interviews but I’m listing them together like the back of the box does)

3. An interview with composer Akira Ifukube

4. A featurette detailing the photographic effects featuring special effects director Koichi Kawakita and special effects photographer Motoyoshi Tomioka

5. An interview with Japanese film critic Tadao Sato

6. An illustrated audio essay about the Daigo Fukuryu Maru which inspired the opening of Godzilla

7. Trailers for both versions of the film.

There is also a 16 page booklet featuring a 6 page essay by Village Voice’s film critic J. Hoberman and a page talking about the transfers.

Considering how strict Toei is with Godzilla it’s great that this set has as many supplements as it does, especially with the respect Criterion gives to the film.

I am so impressed with this release that I’m now a Criterion collector now. Trying to figure out what to get next but I’m thinking of Hitchcock’s Rebecca and The Princess Bride.

Can't really say I'm disappointed by El Camino, given that I couldn't imagine many interesting things to tell after the series. It's rather been like a confirmation that this movie was just not necessary. Ah, well. Still looking forward to BCS season 5, because that show has been a worthy follow-up to BrBa in my opinion.

11 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Earlier today i watched Poltergeist remake and its pretty good.

Later tonight ill be watching Shaun of the Dead for DVD with the trivia track on

My little sister looked exactly like the original baby in Poltergeist and it's the only movie to really scare me since.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Lord Furret said:

Was bored last night, and I heard Doctor Stone was good, so I started that. Holy crap this show is awesome! I already love it and I'm only on episode 6!

I could not get into Dr Stone at all, maybe I didn't give it the attention it needed.

10 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to watch the new episode today. What about it turned you off?

I really don't know. I remember having it on and watching the first 3(?) episodes and it just not grabbing me. I admit I did not give it as much attention though, maybe just missed the draw.

1 minute ago, Wander89 said:

I really don't know. I remember having it on and watching the first 3(?) episodes and it just not grabbing me. I admit I did not give it as much attention though, maybe just missed the draw.

Ah. Yeah, I can see that happening, there aren't a ton of fighting or action scenes, and those that are end pretty quickly. A lot of it is just talking and planning, and then seeing the outcomes of whatever they planned for. I really enjoy it, but I understand if you aren't interested by that.

5 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

Ah. Yeah, I can see that happening, there aren't a ton of fighting or action scenes, and those that are end pretty quickly. A lot of it is just talking and planning, and then seeing the outcomes of whatever they planned for. I really enjoy it, but I understand if you aren't interested by that.

I will give it another shot at some point but not right now!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jaookla said:

I know it’s popular to hate on Rian Johnson after The Last Jedi, but if you miss his newest movie because of that, then you’re missing a great opportunity. I had the pleasure of seeing Knives Out last night, and it was absolutely fantastic.

I find the Last Jedi quite miserable, but frankly I still love Rian as a filmmaker.  TLJ didn't work for me, but I can't wait to see Knives Out later this weekend!  He's directed some amazing stuff.  Brick is soooo good too!  And his Breaking Bad episodes are amongst my favorite hours of television ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Not currently watching these but they are films/shows I got for Christmas: Teen Wolf Too, Transformers Animated Complete Series, Ultra Q (the preseries Ultraman show that starts the show. Think of it like the episodes before Barnabas arrives in Dark Shadows) and the Universal Horror Collection volume 1 which contains The Black Cat, The Raven, The Invisible Ray and Black Friday. What these four have in common is they all star Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. I found it funny how no one proofread to see if the information was the same between the box and the case!

Been binging Star Wars Rebels, and The Simpsons on Disney+.  Also binged through part 2 of Disenchantment.  Really enjoyed it.  Much better than part 1, but I can't help but think this show is on a marching path to death.  13 months or so for just 10 episodes is going to kill it.  It's not a Rick and Morty where those ten episodes are incredibly unique and memorable.  It's a slightly (emphasis on slightly, it's not really an incredibly funny comedy) amusing show with an interesting main mystery that barely gets advanced each part.  I like the series, but I fully expect it to be canceled with no resolution at this rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Ep. 1 of "Star Trek: Picard" is available FREE on YouTube, at least for a while: [you know what goes here].youtube.com/watch?v=1PPm5l3o2zw (Sorry - it wouldn't let me post the actual URL.)

Also, Wil Wheaton is hosting an interview show on "Picard" - seems like it's an ep-by-ep behind-the-scenes thing. Here's ep 1: [###].youtube.com/watch?v=t55gOxwVw0Y

Edited by Lump-wing

• 2 weeks later...