What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

Just recently watched Doctor Strange and watched Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War today to prepare myself for Endgame. I've yet to watch Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel but I'm considering those 'supplemental' (as in these are more origin films and context films for some things like Bucky in Wakanda, which can be inferred with Civil War, and the origins of Wasp and Carol Danvers) to the watch since I already owned Doctor Strange so figured I might as well watch and TR is an update status on Thor and Hulk while Infinity War is obvious. Will pick up Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp in the future but I didn't want to get four films so these two had to go the wayside for simplicity of plot for me.

Saw Avengers Endgame today.

OMG this has to be the best superhero film ever made! I don't know what they could've cut out to make this closer to 2 hours since every moment was great.

Is it okay to start talking about the film without spoiler tags yet?

38 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Saw Avengers Endgame today.

OMG this has to be the best superhero film ever made! I don't know what they could've cut out to make this closer to 2 hours since every moment was great.

Is it okay to start talking about the film without spoiler tags yet?

I would recommend moving to the endgame topic:

Movies Im watching for DVD this week

Iron Man

Incredible Hulk

X-Men Origins Wolverine

Star Wars Phantom Menace

Star War Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Why Im watching the for DVD is because of the bonus features. the Star Wars Prequels DVDs I still love since they're loaded with behind the scenes stuff

Went and saw Aladdin (2019) last night.  There was a lot of stuff in it that I really liked, and a lot of things I didn't.  A bit of a blanket statement, so how bout I break it down?

The good:

-most of the cast.  Everyone is pretty darn great actually.  The three main leads in Mena, Naomi, and Will in particular are just fantastic.  Will and Mena have great chemistry together and are hilarious, and Naomi Scott is as wonderful as ever.  

-some of the music.  Arabian Nights, friend like me, prince Ali (the clip doesn't do it justice), and speechless are really enjoyable, and have suitably great direction accompanying them.  

-the changes to Jafars backstory to make him more of a foil to Aladdin.

-abu and the magic carpet are pretty great, managing to maintain their animated spirits.  

Now let's talk about the bad.

-Jafar.  Okay, so while I liked the ideas behind him, holy crap was this actor just... bad.  He overdoes it WAY too much.  Jafar is a guy of subtlety.  When he's not grinding his teeth into oblivion, he's cartoonishly laughing like a maniac.  It doesn't really work.  At all.

-the other songs.  One Jump Ahead is abysmal.  Not necessarily the singing, but the staging is just soooo bad.  Not to mention they must have miss timed something, because there's a stretch of it where the entire movie is set at 1.5 times speed and it looks so weird.  The movie is moving like someone pressed fast forward but the audio is normal.  Mena also... he can't sell the lip syncing I know they do on the set.  Naomi always looks like she's singing, even when you know that's not how they film these things.  Mena is noticeably different in that it's always incredibly obvious his singing was added in post, and it's a bit distracting.

-a whole new world flops.  It's not the vocal performance, which I actually found to be quite decent.  It's the visual aspect. The CG of the magic carpet ride is just so bad.  It's a dark blurry mess, and the whole sequence just kind of meanders as you watch two people sing in front of a green screen.

-The Horny Genie.  This is the weirdest one.  While genies relationship with the new handmaiden for Jasmine leads to some of the funniest interactions, it's also super uncomfortable for a reason I can't place.  Oh, maybe it's cause I don't want to picture genie being super horny and wanting to get laid.  That aspect is so incredibly unnecessary it's unbelievable.

Overall I think it's the best of the live-action remakes I've seen.  Still doesn't come close to topping the original, but it's  a decent enough time.  The theater I was in got REALLY into the movie, so it sure seems like a crowd pleaser that'll do very well in the coming weeks.  First time in years I went to a movie that ended up selling out because people wandered in, as opposed to selling out online in advance.  

Ive been binge watchaing Season 5 of Flash on Netflix all day yesterday. Up to episode 16 or 17 already.

Also been trying to watch Season 7 of Walking Dead on Netflix but for some unknown reasons,  Walking Dead episode keeps freezing up every 2 or 3 minutes

56 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Saw Rocketman today. It was pretty good and I don’t usually watch biopics.

Was Taron Egerton as good as he usually is? I watched Baby Driver too and that movie as fantastic, musical action!

Everyone should watch Good Omens though on Amazon Prime. Good Omens - 17th Shard

Edited by Wander89
link added to new topic

8 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

Was Taron Egerton as good as he usually is? I watched Baby Driver too and that movie as fantastic, musical action!

He did his own thing on singing the songs while keeping the spirit of Elton John. To be honest Taron is one of those actors I tend to forget about since I was curious if he was in any other film and was surprised that he was the main character of Kingsman since I’ve seen that movie. He was also the gorilla kid from Sing where he also sang an Elton John song.

One positive of this film is they didn’t try to cover up the worst parts of Elton’s life at all like (putting this in spoilers for R rating and if you don’t know much about Elton’s life)

Spoiler

his drug abuse, his bad relationship with his parents, his relationship with John Reid and how it sucked to be gay in those days. They even had a sex scene for him without making it steamy or gross, that happens too often in films. Because of how prevalent the drugs and gay stuff is to his story I do wonder how nonsensical the Russian cut is since they cut that stuff out, especially since he goes into rehab to recover from the drugs and drinking.

Pretty much it shows the glitz and warts unlike Bohemian Rhapsody which only showed the glitz of being a singer.

5 minutes ago, Draginon said:

He did his own thing on singing the songs while keeping the spirit of Elton John. To be honest Taron is one of those actors I tend to forget about since I was curious if he was in any other film and was surprised that he was the main character of Kingsman since I’ve seen that movie. He was also the gorilla kid from Sing where he also sang an Elton John song.

One positive of this film is they didn’t try to cover up the worst parts of Elton’s life at all like (putting this in spoilers for R rating and if you don’t know much about Elton’s life)

Hide contents

his drug abuse, his bad relationship with his parents, his relationship with John Reid and how it sucked to be gay in those days. They even had a sex scene for him without making it steamy or gross, that happens too often in films. Because of how prevalent the drugs and gay stuff is to his story I do wonder how nonsensical the Russian cut is since they cut that stuff out, especially since he goes into rehab to recover from the drugs and drinking.

Pretty much it shows the glitz and warts unlike Bohemian Rhapsody which only showed the glitz of being a singer.

I'm going to see it anyway but heard good things about Edgarton. Good to see they aren't Disney-ing and removing the more mature aspects of his like.