What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

I just started once upon a time on netflix.  I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm getting more 'girl power' vibes then I like.  Same thing happened with charmed.  being a man in these shows makes you a background character, or a sacrificial lamb, is something I'm not a big fan of myself.  Though I freely admit to enjoying the show when there is a male lead who doesn't immediately get killed off or shoved to the background.  I even like it when said male lead is teamed up with 2-3 female leads.

I'm in early season 2 atm, and the parts where charming is front and center is actaully rather enjoyable.  mostly because the kid is interesting.  and the arc with the witch is very interesting.

Edited by mattig89ch

I am watching or have recently watched Merlin, Psych, Stranger things 2, Interstellar, Inception, and The Prestige. I am kind of on a Christopher Nolan kick right now. I am very happy with what I've seen so far.

On 1/16/2018 at 0:41 PM, mattig89ch said:

I just started once upon a time on netflix.  I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm getting more 'girl power' vibes then I like.  Same thing happened with charmed.  being a man in these shows makes you a background character, or a sacrificial lamb, is something I'm not a big fan of myself.  Though I freely admit to enjoying the show when there is a male lead who doesn't immediately get killed off or shoved to the background.  I even like it when said male lead is teamed up with 2-3 female leads.

I'm in early season 2 atm, and the parts where charming is front and center is actaully rather enjoyable.  mostly because the kid is interesting.  and the arc with the witch is very interesting.

I bowed out of this show last year in last half of S6. I just couldn’t deal with it anymore. S1 was so great! S2 was good but couldn’t get that lvl back. S3 took a dive big time imo and S4 was just brutal... S5 was a good turn for the better only to crash back down with S6 and I just wasn’t giving it more of my time and dvr space.

Hah you lasted longer than me B.K. I really liked season one, but I could see the writing on the wall half way through season two and wasn't able to finish that season. It wasn't bad in season two, but I felt like I was checking the time every ten minutes or so.

21 hours ago, Briar King said:

I bowed out of this show last year in last half of S6. I just couldn’t deal with it anymore. S1 was so great! S2 was good but couldn’t get that lvl back. S3 took a dive big time imo and S4 was just brutal... S5 was a good turn for the better only to crash back down with S6 and I just wasn’t giving it more of my time and dvr space.

I'm still in S2, and its actually picked up.  I'm not really seeing the problems I had with the show in late S1/early S2.  They actually have some interesting male characters now, though one's a bigot and the other just got a bad case of the death scentense.  Even still, I'm still enjoying it.  Though I am worried its going to go back to 'women save the world, men die off or sit back and watch' routine.  But it hasn't done so yet!  So they still have me hooked ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

@Briar King Have you read his Land Fit for Heroes trilogy? I liked the idea of the main character that are retired "Heroes" of the great war against the Lizard people and they have all been scarred in some way by the events of the past war and their celebrity status. He does some interesting things with the trilogy; can't say I was a fan of the extremely graphic gay sex scenes though. Its the only book I can remember where I had to skip sections because I just didn't want to read about that sort of stuff in such detail.

Edited by Ammanas

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@Briar King Have you read his Land Fit for Heroes trilogy? I liked the idea of the main character that are retired "Heroes" of the great war against the Lizard people and they have all been scarred in some way by the events of the past war and their celebrity status. He does some interesting things with the trilogy; can't say I was a fan of the extremely graphic gay sex scenes though. Its the only book I can remember where I had to skip sections because I just didn't want to read about that sort of stuff in such detail.

I read bk 1 and about half of bk 2 which I set aside not because I didn’t like it but several big titles came out that distracted me. I fully intend on buying bk 3 and binge read it all. The show has me itching to do this after Wall(I really dislike Zomi’s past sections) so I ll be reading it and Malazan.

• 2 weeks later...

Your not missing out on much B.K. I am originally from Texas and my wife can't stand the heat and said she will never live in Texas or the South (I say to explain why I am not living further south). I am living in Colorado and hate the snow; it is cold, it hurts, it causes a lot of vehicular accidents, you have to spend time shoveling the walk and chipping off ice on your windshield. Never move north of 37 degrees North Latitude would be my advice to anyone.

Currently watching Supernatural and Star Trek: Discovery. 

I feel like Supernatural is having one of their "on" seasons right now. 

I was having a hard time getting my wife to want to try the new Trek (even though she's seen every episode of TNG) until I told her that Malfoy's dad was the captain. 

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

STD is a crime to Trek fans imo. I’m not planning to watch it. Putting Trek on a pay to watch is not cool. 

My hope is to one day get a real Trek show(Prime Uni) set after Voyager. Umm on cable you greedy bastards!

I disagree. The production value is sky high on this show. CBS All Access is only $6.99/month. That puts it at $1.75/episode just to watch Trek, not counting everything else that is available with the service. That is amazingly cheap. You could watch an entire season of Trek for the cost of 2 movie tickets, popcorn, and drinks... Perspective is everything. 

Besides, cable is already pay TV. Trek has only ever been on broadcast until now. 

Edited by AngelEy3

I have been quite enjoying Discovery.

I felt that the first bunch of episodes did a pretty good job of setting up and developing characters. That set up some great potential for the show but outside of that the individual episodes were mostly relatively unremarkable (except visually, the visuals were great). My overall opinion of it was going to depend on whether they would be able to execute on that potential in the later part of the series. Having just watched the finale I can say that I'm quite happy with what they did :) 

At this point I prefer it to other Star Trek shows I've watched. Though it's worth noting for context that as a general rule I have a preference for serialized shows over episodic ones. More importantly than that I have a strong preference for shows where there are detailed and interesting character arcs. A lot of (but certainly not all) more episodic shows have comparatively light character development. Often they'll have an episode centered on a single character which will have great character development, but that character won't change much throughout the rest of the season.

I'm not normally into nature shows, but I love River Monsters! I'm on season 4 right now and it's got mystery, a look a different cultures around the world, suspense, and creatures I never have even heard of. The host also, except for I think once, always finds what he is looking for by the end of the episode.

Edited by Ammanas

FINALLY!! After on the plus side of 1yr &1/2 Netflix has put up S2 of Versailles! I’m ignoring my impulse to start on it and am rewatching S1. I highly reco this if I guess your comfortable with your sexuality, language and nudity. The guys on this are pretty. I say that loln because it’s so very old time French with makeup and long flowing hair. It’s a fantastic show about Louis 14 and his court.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:42 AM, AngelEy3 said:

@Ammanas

@TheOrlionThatComesBefore Let us know how it is! I just saw a trailer for that this week and it looked good. 

Annihilation was a great movie. Terrible adaptation, if you care about such things, but it's a strong work on it's own. 

Kinda like Kubrik's The Shining in that sense. 

Saw that Veronica movie on Netflix people are crowing about. Terrible movie. 

On 2/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Annihilation was a great movie. Terrible adaptation, if you care about such things, but it's a strong work on it's own. 

Kinda like Kubrik's The Shining in that sense. 

I've been curious what the movie will be like because it seems like a really hard adaptation. So much of the book is internal dialogue and I would think the lack of resolution would drive movie goers crazy. 

On 3/1/2018 at 5:50 AM, AndyV said:

I'm going to watch Thor: Ragnarok. It's a long time I'm preparing for this :)

Just watched it this weekend thought it was really good.