Theory: Who wrote "Sixty-two days, Death follows."

YmYm

I think you guys are missing this. The fire was out. Seems likely that whoever wrote it came in and left through the fireplace.

I believe that this happened within a 2 hour time peroid(Kaladin walking Navani to the palace and back)

Ergo: Santa Claus did it.  :lol:

Or Dalinar sleptwalked it. 

Edited by el_warko

It was Hoid. Whenever something mysterious happens that holds many levels of meaning, it. Was. Hoid.

But Hoid already went to Kholinar and stated that it was to late.Why would he go back to the plains and warn Dalinar. I think he already tired to when he talked to Dalaran before he left.

"What is it we value?" Wit whispered. "Innovation. Originality. Novelty. But most importantly... timeliness. I fear you may be too late, my confused, unfortunate friend."

While I am not wedded to the idea that Szeth wrote the message, I would note that I would find it to be extraordinarily unlikely that Szeth would ever slaughter a sleeping target unless specifically ordered to do so.  His sense of honor would absolutely forbid it.

I disagree completely. A boot to the ribs followed by a Stormlight kick to the ribs saves Szeth from killing possibly ALOT of people, and simplifies his choices and burdens. 

But Hoid already went to Kholinar and stated that it was to late.Why would he go back to the plains and warn Dalinar. I think he already tired to when he talked to Dalaran before he left.

He was just teasing ketchup (I presume?)

My personal belief, is that Szeth definitely did not write it. If we take the epigraphs to be one long entry, similar to The Letter, 62  days is a disaster involving the Parshendi somehow. 

Now we have to ask why the poorly written glyph? 1 of 2 things come to mind.

1 : someone has poor handwriting, leading me to believe it was a male. The only form of literacy they find acceptable is through glyphs, and they might not have the proper macro structure for it.

2: Death or Broken follows. I think both are correct.

The Final Desolation involves death to massive proportions of the population.

The Broken One reigns, people. We have good reason to believe that this is Odium, the master of Desolation.

I think the Desolation is in full swing after 62 days

Sorry for this, but I have to down-vote that post just because I am firmly against the idea of Shen going on a killing spree. I am somewhat daydreaming of him taking on warform or something while still preferring to stay with Bridge Four.

I trust my fellow Sharders will forgive me for this compulsive down-voting, and that they will up-vote you again properly.

Personally, I agree. I don't want Shen to go evil. I think he is going to be a very important character, but i also understand the need for Sanderson to impress upon the narrative the dangers of the Voidbringers in the most poignant way possible. From what I can tell, this will involve taking Shen, a character we already know, and elevating him to prominance (most likely by having him break free from whatever it is that was done to the Parshmen) and then have it go wrong. This could be, and probably will be done with the other Parshendi as well, but since we do not have any invested interest in them emotionally it wouldn't have the same impact it would if Shen is the example. 

Again, I personally don't want Shen to go bad, but for the sake of the story it is likely that Shen's tale will not end happily. He might die, or he might go evil, but either way I don't see happiness in the forecast. But I would love to be wrong in this case, since I think he will be an intriguing character once he comes out of his shell.

Actually I think Shen will be more interesting if he grows a shell (carapace).

First Navani associates the writing with the Parshendi, and then the Voidbringers?  I don't have any good guesses about who wrote the message on the wall, only that it's weird that Dalinar both fell asleep for it, and didn't wake up while it was happening.  Either someone teleported inside, got in through the too-small window, or it was a person that was already inside.(mind-controlled Dalinar or Renarin?)  I find Szeth very unlikely. 

But yeah, death/broken, no one makes ambiguous writing mistakes in fiction.

Personally, I agree. I don't want Shen to go evil. I think he is going to be a very important character, but i also understand the need for Sanderson to impress upon the narrative the dangers of the Voidbringers in the most poignant way possible. From what I can tell, this will involve taking Shen, a character we already know, and elevating him to prominance (most likely by having him break free from whatever it is that was done to the Parshmen) and then have it go wrong. This could be, and probably will be done with the other Parshendi as well, but since we do not have any invested interest in them emotionally it wouldn't have the same impact it would if Shen is the example.

Again, I personally don't want Shen to go bad, but for the sake of the story it is likely that Shen's tale will not end happily. He might die, or he might go evil, but either way I don't see happiness in the forecast. But I would love to be wrong in this case, since I think he will be an intriguing character once he comes out of his shell.

In each of Brandon's books, there seem to be a barely-sentient servant class that gradually is shown to be as much of a person as anyone else. The lifeless and Human spring to mind, as well as the Elantrians to a certain extent.

In each of Brandon's books, there seem to be a barely-sentient servant class that gradually is shown to be as much of a person as anyone else. The lifeless and Human spring to mind, as well as the Elantrians to a certain extent.

* it was not Szeth - he would not scratch stone, since stone is sacred

* it was either male or non-human - the glyphs were not practiced

* it was done by someone with access, someone that would be around without drawing suspicions

so it was maybe Renarin or Dalinar.

oh, I know! IT WAS GAZ!

I think it has to do something with a sort of magic we haven't seen yet.

Either he must've known Dalinar would fall asleep at that very moment or he used some sort of sleeping spell.

And even if Dalinar was just sleeping, prying a rock out of ornament and writing on a wall with it makes quite a bit of noise.

From this and the other arguments ITT I believe we can exclude Szeth as a suspect.

Dalinar seems the best fit. If it had been somebody else we would've had more clues.

He also tells Kaladin that he shouldn't worry about how the writer got in. Considering he is worried about assassins I can't see any other scenario where this behaviour makes sense.

Guest AmruthS

The message reminded me about the Trolloc script written in Fal Dara dungeons concerning Daughter of Night in The Great Hunt of Wheel of Time Series.

I also believe it was Dalinar.

I don't know why, I've only read that chapter once, but the feeling I drew from that one time was that it was Dalinar himself that did it, and he didn't seem too worried if I remember it right, so he must know or has a suspicion.

What about Shalash? As a herald she should have the transportation surge, and given what else is suspected about her current status it would make some sense.  

Also first post. I have really enjoyed reading all the different theories, but usually have nothing new to add. 

We don't really understand what abilities the heralds had but it is generally thought they would share the same surges as their respective order.  In which case she would not have Transportation as a surge, she would have Transformation and Illumination.

I think the message is a countdown to the parshendi transformation into whatever form they are scared of (void?). Who wrote it? I think it was a parshendi who volunteered to take on slave form in order to infiltrate the camp and deliver the message. Given the Alethi treatment of parshmen, it would be totally reasonable for them to ignore a parshman. "Nobody went in there!" "What about that parshman?" "As I said, nobody!"

Sorry for this, but I have to down-vote that post just because I am firmly against the idea of Shen going on a killing spree. I am somewhat daydreaming of him taking on warform or something while still preferring to stay with Bridge Four.

I trust my fellow Sharders will forgive me for this compulsive down-voting, and that they will up-vote you again properly.

I think it was Shen as well but it might be a warning.

I think Shen is changing but Kaladin's influence is probably rubbing off on him and he probably communicated the only way he knows how. I think the message is mend to be a warning to allow them to prepare and Odium might be blind to anything written on Stone.

We don't really understand what abilities the heralds had but it is generally thought they would share the same surges as their respective order.  In which case she would not have Transportation as a surge, she would have Transformation and Illumination.

Ah, read the chart wrong. Then Transportation would be Battar or Kalak?

Shen definitely could have done it - but why does this imply killing or threat by him? It doesn't! It could be a warning. He could have picked up something on the Parshendi song/vibration/telepathy link  and felt obligated out of Honor to warn Dalinar...that Odium is coming and this means Death too.

Edited by zandi

Shen definitely could have done it - but why does this imply killing or threat? It doesn't! It could be a warning. He could have picked up something on the Parshendi song/vibration/telepathy link  and felt obligated out of Honor to warn Dalinar...that Odium is coming and this means Death too.

Shen is definitely tricky. I wonder if he'll be able to develop a sense of individuality without a song or a spren (by learning from humans, who do just fine without either.)

i'm not sure what to make of the message as a whole. it feels like a warning to the final desolation at first glance, but that would be too easy and with Sanderson its usually best to dig deeper. my theory and hunch is that it is Elhokar who wrote it. i know, i know its way out there, but at the same time this could be an ultimatum that he is giving to Dalinar. 62 days to get his plan done or else. perhaps he even has other motives than that. I've always had a bad feeling about him but i could never pinpoint it, but i have always come to expect the unexpected. 

i'm not sure what to make of the message as a whole. it feels like a warning to the final desolation at first glance, but that would be too easy and with Sanderson its usually best to dig deeper. my theory and hunch is that it is Elhokar who wrote it. i know, i know its way out there, but at the same time this could be an ultimatum that he is giving to Dalinar. 62 days to get his plan done or else. perhaps he even has other motives than that. I've always had a bad feeling about him but i could never pinpoint it, but i have always come to expect the unexpected. 

This would be an interesting twist. But I think it would be totally out of character from what we've seen for Elhokar to do something like this. He doesn't seem to be a behind the scenes manipulator.