Chapters 3-5 up on Tor

The Rooster

Just to be sure that the fun of the hunt is maintained, would you mind PM'ing me the final word in the hunt and then I'll give you the full url?

Don't remember. I am 29 and my memory is fading sooner than it should! But some other nice poster already sent it to me so no worries.

For proof, I refer you to this post on Oct. 29, 2013. Would be pretty devious to make that post 3 months before asking for the code all just to avoid 30 minutes of puzzle solving!

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4360-whos-got-it/?p=70771

In regards to Shallan’s spren, I was reminded of the Interlude with the 2 ardents (Geranid and Ashir) where one ardent was measuring the spren.  By measuring (defining it, maybe?) the spren, she set the spren firmly in place (until she erased the measurements).

I wonder if the action of drawing the pattern the way Shallan did, locked her spren into that shape?  Maybe she defined the spren to be that Pattern. 

Here’s where the wild speculation comes in:  What if the Pattern is the early developmental stages of Cryptics?  Furthermore what if, given time, the Pattern Shallan was observing would have developed into something closer to the Cryptics we have seen before, and would have been able to better interact with her? 

Basically, what if Shallan’s capturing of the Pattern on paper defined it as an infantile/juvenile Cryptic, and she must now wait and work with it for it to mature and develop?

And, I see I was "ninja'd" by AG Rooster while typing this!  So be it... upvote to you, sir!

Believe it or not, this quote is on page 2, and I just read through all 12 pages to make sure no one else had already pointed this out...  :D

I don't think the act of drawing the pattern will have an ill effect on her spren. In fact, I think it would have had an ill effect had she NOT drawn it! Shallan has told us that when she takes a memory, it stays perfectly in her mind until she draws it, at which point it is released. I think her taking a memory did indeed "freeze" the spren, in the same way the ardent's measurements did, since it appears her memories are perfect representations (this is how she could know that her drawing wasn't quite right). By drawing the pattern, albeit imperfectly, she released the memory, and thus released her spren from its frozen state, hence the "sigh of relief" at the moment the drawing was finished.

Believe it or not, this quote is on page 2, and I just read through all 12 pages to make sure no one else had already pointed this out... :D

I don't think the act of drawing the pattern will have an ill effect on her spren. In fact, I think it would have had an ill effect had she NOT drawn it! Shallan has told us that when she takes a memory, it stays perfectly in her mind until she draws it, at which point it is released. I think her taking a memory did indeed "freeze" the spren, in the same way the ardent's measurements did, since it appears her memories are perfect representations (this is how she could know that her drawing wasn't quite right). By drawing the pattern, albeit imperfectly, she released the memory, and thus released her spren from its frozen state, hence the "sigh of relief" at the moment the drawing was finished.

Does this mean that Shallan can freeze spren with her Memory? Because if those tainted spren from Dal's visions start showing up again, that ability could prove very, very useful.

Does this mean that Shallan can freeze spren with her Memory? Because if those tainted spren from Dal's visions start showing up again, that ability could prove very, very useful.

This make perfect sense to me, even if the representation aren't perfect it was theorized (by the ardents) that must exist a error margin of how much precise you must be to lock a spren by measuring it.

Another indication is that hundreds of creation spren appeared when she was drawing, that act of creation it self one could say that a Divine power. I think she "opened" a door to puppy spren obtain a form in the physical wolrd, the creation spren are atracted by this.

Take this Upvote =)

Puppy spren eh? I wonder if the cryptic will name himself Fido?

Kitten spren, darnit.

Mark my words: when Shallan tries to write down her experiences with it in a journal, the liespren is going to start jumping over her papers and messing her up. This is cat behavior, not dog behavior.

Puppy spren form sure, no cat ever would be described as "imbecile".

*Looks at Kurkistan* And we have many proves that they race want conquest the wolrd =)

In the next chapter i bet that Shallan will try teach him how to sit and play dead =)

PS: In a more serious note anyone have a opinion about what Dalinar will do with 30 sets of blades and plates? I see this as a point of conflict to him(he don't want be a warrior), Moash and Rock(both would love put a hand in one plate) and Kal (if someone sugest that he should use one).

Who they would choice the new 30 shardbearers? 

I can see even Shallan desiring to try a shard herself she, oddly, was dissapointed when Jasnah said said that the majority of the radiants aren' warriors and if she ask maybe she could convice a certain duelist to let her try one set that would be nice.

I'm hoping that Dalinar try and break some cultural prejudices, like the feminine arts,and all this crazy eye color social status.

If he hope to unify Alethkar woudn't be smart move give the Darkeyes equal rights, that would grant him great footing with the majority of the society, even if he lost the support of the lighteyes.

Edited by Natans

Okay, that is true. Perhaps if it gets some intelligence it can get promoted to kitty spren. But I do tend to associate repeated leg bumpings with the kittehs.

Afterward will it evolve into Monkey Spren or Parrot Spren?

I don't get the impression that Dalinar intends to keep all these Plates/Blades. More like hold onto them a bit and then give them back once the Highprinces are done having their tantrum.

9 highprinces, 30 sets of Shards.  Losing one set is significant.  Presumably you start with the princes you have no chance of winning to your side, so your potential allies wonder if they'll be next.  If you get over 5, the diplomatic effort may be a failure. 

Which highprince is least likely to be won over?  Hint: 6 letters, starts and ends w/"S". 

What cause would justify an honor duel w/Shards as stakes?  Would accusing someone of stealing their Shards by murdering and enslaving the rightful owners be good enough? 

Wild speculation, easily falsified.  I'm sure Brandon has come up w/better. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Shards ended up w/the Kholin camp or redistributed to their allied factions. 

I don't get the impression that Dalinar intends to keep all these Plates/Blades. More like hold onto them a bit and then give them back once the Highprinces are done having their tantrum.

I think the kind of tantrum the high princes are gonna have is probably the type that gets discussed around big tables with maps and troop movements sketched out on it.

I think the kind of tantrum the high princes are gonna have is probably the type that gets discussed around big tables with maps and troop movements sketched out on it.

So they all will play chess ?

=( Sorry for the joke =)

Edited by Natans

I just realized that Dalinar, like Ned Stark, would have an Intrigue score of 0 in any Stormlight Archive game :)

If the chapters we've seen so far don't have "hooks", I'm a bit scared of what Peter is foreshadowing here haha.

I'm thinking actual hooks, ala Kalak's thoughts regarding the time the Heralds are tortured between desolations.

I hate to disagree with my business associate Ms. Feather, but I have to go with puppyspren. A kitten wouldn't be that stupid. B)

Except Cryptics are described as the lighteyes of Shadesmar.

Dogs don't rule, cats do.

Therefore Shallan's spren is a kitten.

Feles Regirent

So they all will play chess ?

Why was this down voted? In medieval times, chess was seen as a form of war. Great generals were almost always great chess players.

This did not deserve a sham vote, shame to whoever did it. Upvote corrected.

Back to topic. The High Princes will buck at this declaration. I'm in love with the idea that Adolin will be dueling everyone for their Shards.

If he really wants to found the KR again, he probably intends to keep them to equip his new Soldiers with them. Probably the wrong approach, but he's got no Spren to tell him that the shards are "bad influence".

30 Blades between 9 highprinces is an average greater than 3.

Doesn't Dalinar's camp only have 2 shardbearers ? I know some shard weapons won by Dalinar was given to the King but still it seems unlikely that the other camps would have 30 Shardbearers. Only way this works is I suppose if most of these are partial Shardbearers, ie, only Plate or Blade..

30 shardbearers = 60 shards(blades and plates)?

Or the count consider only a single piece( blade or plate) ? I got the impression that Dalinar are talking about "full sets" and in the army some must have only a single part that didn't entered in the count.