Chapters 3-5 up on Tor

The Rooster

I have work to do! This isn't fair.

Brief impressions time!

Pattern:

• Damnit Vorinism.
  • PATTERNS OOH
  • Clever Shallan! I hope we see more showing and not telling of your cleverness (one of TWOK's few failings)
  • So many creationspren! No Jasnah to see them. :(
  • Confirmation only one spren is bonded to a Radiant.
  • So much nice information from Jasnah! Voidspren, eh? So Odium does have his own? I thought he corrupted them.
  • Cultivation WORSHIPED IN THE WEST. Shin worship her? Taravangian knows about Shin culture in detail. Taravangian as Cultivation's champion only becomes more likely.

Taker of Secrets:

• Red armor Radiant. Dustbringer, obviously.
  • Thunderclasts ho!
  • The Knights did not have Stormlight constantly. This one only starts glowing when she sees the creature. Using her armor's gems?
  • Knight using Friction to move through the water with ease. My god it's actually useful as a Surge. Also, Order 3 confirmed.
  • Ohey, Honor did tell Dalinar to refound the Radiants. Yay Honor! Also other nice information. How did Odium lose?
  • 62 days. Death follows. ... freaky. Also, evidence for spren giving the death chants. (I'm not using the other name for them.)
  • 62 days to the Everstorm, you say? More evidence that Dalinar causes it with his Parshendi war.

Ideals:

• I have nothing to say except oooooooh Kaladin's totes telling Dalinar about his Surgebinding soonish.

Love the fact that Dalinar revealed the fact that he wanted to refound the Knights Radiant. Hopefully a few more chapters in Kaladin reveals his abilities. Also getting all the Shardblades in Dalinar's camp sounds exciting, looking forward to the duels and hope Kaladin gets a chance to spar with Adolin :D

Another important point was that the spren that are bonding are going against whoever rules these cities of spren. Also I think the disagreement between honorspren and cryptics might have something to do with their presence in the physical world. 

Edited by meddler

I'm amused by the fact that Elhokar takes to Kaladin right away.  This could lead to all kinds of interesting developments.

Btw, I really liked when Kaladin stationed 2 men on the balcony and told the doubting Dalinar (paraphrasing): "That's the way I'd come in."  Caused me to have a big fat grin plastered on my face for a bit.

Sadeas POV!

{Wild Speculation}Shallan's spren has crossed over, but didn't have help from the other cryptics.  It is cognitively impaired, at least for a while. By drawing it she helped reestablish the connection. {/Wild Speculation}

Kaladin taking part in the king's council. 

Will Adolin duel Amaram?  Doesn't seem right politically. 

Something made Dalinar fall asleep, then left a message.  I don't think a spren could actually write the message.  Renarin's spren helped Dalinar sleep, then Renarin wrote the message?  Just a wild idea, doesn't seem likely. 

Edited by hoser

Heh. Not that surprising Adolin and Kaladin won't get along at first (if ever). Although Elokhar takiing a liking to him is interesting.

And Dalinar already announcing the KR?
Yeah, he's definitely getting a Spren soon.

And holy crap! Jasnah and Shallan!
Ivory? Definitely want to learn more about him.
And the fact that Honor and Cultivation get name dropped like mo'fos. And Odium!

Also had a huge grin when it was said Adolin can duel again. I can't wait to read those. He may be spoiled and a little cocky, but I think Kaladin will gain a little respect once he sees him fight.

I'm thinking Dalinar or maybe his spren wrote the warning when he was "asleep",  he is seeing into the future...

Also and this just hit me from Navani's journal entry, but maybe Dalinar is being used to bring about the desolation 

"The sign on the wall proposed a greater danger, even, than its deadline. To foresee the future is of the Voidbringers."

Edited by JcStoneDog

Chapter 3: Pattern

• The Knights Radiant and Shadesmar are somehow linked study subjects?
  • Drawing the pattern - which sounds related to the spren somehow - draws hundreds of creationspren. This is significant, but I don't know how.
  • Huh. Shallan's "pattern" sounds like her spren, the same way Jasnah's man of darkness is. But the pattern is an approximation of the symbolheads, of the Cryptics. Let's see where this will take us...
  • "A silvery sword. A pattern of light." - this has to refer to Shallan's father's death, but the pattern of light doesn't fit anything we've seen from Shardblades. I wonder if it's just an environmental detail (e.g. pattern of light cast on the floor by a window frame) or something significant.
  • Aaah, so the Cryptics look like what we saw in The Way of Kings when they are in Shadesmar, but have a much... simpler form in the Physical Realm. I  have to wonder - how does Syl look in Shadesmar, and how did Shallan see the Cryptics "true" form in Kharbranth? Her ability to take Memories is becoming more and more interesting.
  • Cryptics have fearful reputation?
  • Teehee, Jasnah's spren is called Ivory. Because of course it would. He is male though, which adds a little support to that theory about how Surgebinders and their spren have different genders.
  • What Ivory has done is considered a betrayal by the others of his kind? What, binding with a human again? That's interesting, Wyndle was chosen to do just that - maybe different types of spren, or different factions of spren, view humans and the Recreance differently?
  • Huh, liespren? That's, um... way off from truthspren. And yet it isn't.
  • So, Cryptics are like the rulers of Shadesmar? And they are in some sort of a conflict with the honorspren? Oh, my. 
  • Two categories of spren - those that react to emotions and those that react to forces. Think there was a theory here that used similar categorization.
  • Woah, Jasnah knows of Honor and Cultivation? Oh, but she treats them like man-made deities. That's funny.
    • So, Honor - emotions & emotionspren, Cultivation - nature & naturespren. Okay.
    • Bam, Voidspren! Third category, obviously of Odium.
    • It sounds like the Stormfather is treated differently by different cultures - I might be wrong here, but it's possible that some tie him to Odium as much as Vorinism ties him to Honor. 
    • Aaaand Shallan gets bored and distracted. Way to go, girl, just when we started getting some serious info. Grrr...

Chapter 4: Taker of Secrets

• Ah, Dalinar's vision chapter. There has to be some juicy stuff here. But then, every chapter so far (except for Kaladin) has been loaded with information related to the Cosmere and Realmatics. Man, am I going to love this book or what?
  • Sja-anat - another one of the Unmade / anti-Radiants? If so, the fact that it can affect random spren is disturbing.
  • Heh, Radiants used to have cell phones.
  • I wonder if all Thunderclasts look like humanoids, or if they assume the shape of the spren that animated them. The latter seems more likely.
  • The Radiant moves a little too easily through water - I wonder if one of her surges is friction.
  • So... Honor gave the Heralds power over the surges, and the spren decided to imitate this, ultimately resulting in the Knights Radiant?
  • Odium appointing a champion is somehow safer for him than defeat during a Desolation? Sounds like maybe the Heralds are Honor's equivalent to Odium's champion - a buffer of some sort. The champion(s) takes the hit if their Shardholder's side loses, so the Shardholder himself doesn't have to... die? But then, Odium has suffered defeat many times - so how does choosing a champion reduce his risk / consequences?
  • Hmm, the other soldiers glowed with Stormlight? Would that make them candidate-Radiants, Knights in training? Recruits who have some control over their surges, but haven't discovered all the Ideals?
  • "Renarin and Adolin waited out the storm nearby, in another room of Dalinar’s quarters and under the watchful eyes of Captain Kaladin and his bridgeman bodyguards." - wow, reading Kaladin's title like this felt weird. 
  • "Sixty-two days. Death follows." - I don't even know how to react to this.
  • Dalinar so has a mancrush on Kaladin.
  • 62 days until the Last Desolation? That's awfully specific. If true, it also means that the Desolations, or at least the Everstorm, are pretty specific events, not a continuation of things happening. Almost like eclipses, or equinoxes. Maybe my cosmic alignment idea wasn't all that bad?

Chapter 5: Ideals

• Aww, Teft calls Kaladin Kal. 
  • Sigzil is awesome.
  • Man, everyone is so aware of the Cosmere all of a sudden. 
  • Torol Sadeas? With a name like that no wonder nobody likes him.
  • Oh, woah - Sadeas viewpoint? Let's see what's going on in that head of his...
  • Eh, nothing much apparently. I am only mildly surprised that he wants to take over the world. I hope we see more of him though, right now he is kind of a boring villain.
  • Aaand we are back to Kaladin. I am kind of glad he is still struggling with the whole solder vs. surgeon problem. And while his mood and attitude makes sense from a character development standpoint, I wish to see him a little more cheerful...
  • Moash also calls him Kal. When did that happen?
  • "The king himself paced back and forth beside the room’s desk. His nose was larger than the paintings of him showed." - teehee
  • Heh, of course Elhokar is going to like the extra security.
  • Man, Adolin is not a happy panda around Kaladin. This could end up being interesting if it escalates quietly.
  • Kaladin - not undermining highprinces' metaphores since 1174.
  • Aaand, the end. Kaladin is, right now, my least interesting character. I am sure things will change, and soon, but he doesn't swing enough lore or magic around to keep me on my toes.

Shallan's moving pattern was just too cute. Reminded me a lot of moving pictures and characters in the anime Mushishi.

Also, if there's a conflict between honorspren and cryptics, does than mean that Syl won't like Shallan?

If gems in Elhokar's shardplate were cracked because he absorbed stormlight from them, I bet Kaladin would be the first to guess it. Maybe he'd even get to mentor the king.

Chapter 3: Pattern

• The Knights Radiant and Shadesmar are somehow linked study subjects?
  • Drawing the pattern - which sounds related to the spren somehow - draws hundreds of creationspren. This is significant, but I don't know how.
  • Huh. Shallan's "pattern" sounds like her spren, the same way Jasnah's man of darkness is. But the pattern is an approximation of the symbolheads, of the Cryptics. Let's see where this will take us...
  • "A silvery sword. A pattern of light." - this has to refer to Shallan's father's death, but the pattern of light doesn't fit anything we've seen from Shardblades. I wonder if it's just an environmental detail (e.g. pattern of light cast on the floor by a window frame) or something significant.
  • Aaah, so the Cryptics look like what we saw in The Way of Kings when they are in Shadesmar, but have a much... simpler form in the Physical Realm. I  have to wonder - how does Syl look in Shadesmar, and how did Shallan see the Cryptics "true" form in Kharbranth? Her ability to take Memories is becoming more and more interesting.
  • Cryptics have fearful reputation?
  • Teehee, Jasnah's spren is called Ivory. Because of course it would. He is male though, which adds a little support to that theory about how Surgebinders and their spren have different genders.
  • What Ivory has done is considered a betrayal by the others of his kind? What, binding with a human again? That's interesting, Wyndle was chosen to do just that - maybe different types of spren, or different factions of spren, view humans and the Recreance differently?
  • Huh, liespren? That's, um... way off from truthspren. And yet it isn't.
  • So, Cryptics are like the rulers of Shadesmar? And they are in some sort of a conflict with the honorspren? Oh, my. 
  • Two categories of spren - those that react to emotions and those that react to forces. Think there was a theory here that used similar categorization.
  • Woah, Jasnah knows of Honor and Cultivation? Oh, but she treats them like man-made deities. That's funny.
    • So, Honor - emotions & emotionspren, Cultivation - nature & naturespren. Okay.
    • Bam, Voidspren! Third category, obviously of Odium.
    • It sounds like the Stormfather is treated differently by different cultures - I might be wrong here, but it's possible that some tie him to Odium as much as Vorinism ties him to Honor. 
    • Aaaand Shallan gets bored and distracted. Way to go, girl, just when we started getting some serious info. Grrr...

Chapter 4: Taker of Secrets

• Ah, Dalinar's vision chapter. There has to be some juicy stuff here. But then, every chapter so far (except for Kaladin) has been loaded with information related to the Cosmere and Realmatics. Man, am I going to love this book or what?
  • Sja-anat - another one of the Unmade / anti-Radiants? If so, the fact that it can affect random spren is disturbing.
  • Heh, Radiants used to have cell phones.
  • I wonder if all Thunderclasts look like humanoids, or if they assume the shape of the spren that animated them. The latter seems more likely.
  • The Radiant moves a little too easily through water - I wonder if one of her surges is friction.
  • So... Honor gave the Heralds power over the surges, and the spren decided to imitate this, ultimately resulting in the Knights Radiant?
  • Odium appointing a champion is somehow safer for him than defeat during a Desolation? Sounds like maybe the Heralds are Honor's equivalent to Odium's champion - a buffer of some sort. The champion(s) takes the hit if their Shardholder's side loses, so the Shardholder himself doesn't have to... die? But then, Odium has suffered defeat many times - so how does choosing a champion reduce his risk / consequences?
  • Hmm, the other soldiers glowed with Stormlight? Would that make them candidate-Radiants, Knights in training? Recruits who have some control over their surges, but haven't discovered all the Ideals?
  • "Renarin and Adolin waited out the storm nearby, in another room of Dalinar’s quarters and under the watchful eyes of Captain Kaladin and his bridgeman bodyguards." - wow, reading Kaladin's title like this felt weird. 
  • "Sixty-two days. Death follows." - I don't even know how to react to this.
  • Dalinar so has a mancrush on Kaladin.
  • 62 days until the Last Desolation? That's awfully specific. If true, it also means that the Desolations, or at least the Everstorm, are pretty specific events, not a continuation of things happening. Almost like eclipses, or equinoxes. Maybe my cosmic alignment idea wasn't all that bad?

Chapter 5: Ideals

• Aww, Teft calls Kaladin Kal. 
  • Sigzil is awesome.
  • Man, everyone is so aware of the Cosmere all of a sudden. 
  • Torol Sadeas? With a name like that no wonder nobody likes him.
  • Oh, woah - Sadeas viewpoint? Let's see what's going on in that head of his...
  • Eh, nothing much apparently. I am only mildly surprised that he wants to take over the world. I hope we see more of him though, right now he is kind of a boring villain.
  • Aaand we are back to Kaladin. I am kind of glad he is still struggling with the whole solder vs. surgeon problem. And while his mood and attitude makes sense from a character development standpoint, I wish to see him a little more cheerful...
  • Moash also calls him Kal. When did that happen?
  • "The king himself paced back and forth beside the room’s desk. His nose was larger than the paintings of him showed." - teehee
  • Heh, of course Elhokar is going to like the extra security.
  • Man, Adolin is not a happy panda around Kaladin. This could end up being interesting if it escalates quietly.
  • Kaladin - not undermining highprinces' metaphores since 1174.
  • Aaand, the end. Kaladin is, right now, my least interesting character. I am sure things will change, and soon, but he doesn't swing enough lore or magic around to keep me on my toes.

They mention Sadeas' name in WoK, or at least it's somehwere out there because it was in the coppermind when I was looking up how to spell it the other day.

Maybe Shallan's spren is "weak" or "dumb" because she used ink to physically bind it in the physical realm against it's will by drawing it.

Edited by AG Rooster

She found Jasnah herself just outside, reaching toward the doorknob, her left hand cupped before her. A small figure made of inky blackness—shaped like a man in a smart, fashionable suit with a long coat—stood in her palm.

Scandalous! Jasnah is walking around with her safehand uncovered.

Peter, if you read this, could you confirm that this isn't an error?

Unfortunately, I don't think Kaladin ever shattered spheres when he was doing anything, so I would be surprised if he made the connection.  Jasnah making the connection seems much more likely because she has shattered many spheres while soulcasting.  

I am glad that Kaladin already knows Dalinar's plans and even seems like he might reveal some secrets to him.