Converting the non believers! Or, getting friends hooked on Brandon.

So  I recommended Misborn to a coworker and she casually is reading and enjoying it very much, she's just about to finish.  She recommended it to her husband who is a newly burgeoning audiobook junkie.  In the last two months he's buzz-sawed thru TFE, WoA, HoA, AoL and is now half way thru WoK getting him in perfect cruise position for transitioning directly into WoR when it releases.  I'm actually jealous, I mean Hoid said it, we most value timeliness. 

I'm having a lot of trouble with this. When I was obsessed with Lord of the Rings, my sister grew to hate it. In fact, she still hates it. So I kept very quiet about my obsession with Sanderson. It paid off: she started reading the Alcatraz series before me and finds it hilarious. She's reading bok 2 now, which means I can't read it, but if she starts reading the other ones, it is worth it.

I have gotten four friends and my mom into his books but I try to start people with TFE or Elantris as I feel his writing has noticeably improved over time and if you start at WoK or AoL they will think less of his early work. That has been my experience anyway with people working backwards in his growing book catalog.    

I was converted by my brother, and I've successfully managed to convert my dad to the series, mainly by reading the books aloud to him. I'm trying to convert my mom the same way, but with middling success (she completely gave up on Mistborn during Well of Ascension), so now I'm trying to hook her on Way of Kings. I also managed to convert two of my friends, but both of their schedules are so incredibly busy that they don't have time to read. 

I have successfully indoctrinated my little brother into WoK using a careful regimen of spoilers.

Mainly I began with the Dalinars final vision of the Almighty, and carefully placed blurbs concerning Kaladin and leadership, and Jasnah' s beliefs concerning atheistic morality.

I have to say that the back cover of Mistborn was my main draw into BS work, and that ALL of us should use it as a bait n' hook methodology.

I've hooked my Dad, my sister, and possibly my sister-in-law (she might have read one of his books before she started devouring my collection; I don't remember for certain).  And then just the other day, my brother (the one married to that same SiL) asked me if he could borrow my copy of TWoK.

He felt a bit intimidated by it after he got a look at it, though...

I also mentioned in FFXIV last night how excited I was about Words of Radiance being released next month.  That got a "What's that?" question from someone, followed by, "Who's Brandon Sanderson, and should I know who he is?" followed by a "I'll go look him up on Wiki."  We'll see if anything comes of that.

:P

My father and sister both started Mistborn before me, and both stopped around midway through the first one. I almost did too, but I don't leave books unfinished unless they're really horribad, and came to love it.

Maybe I'll bait them back into Sandersons's works with WoK, since I thought it a really enjoyable read, despite it's length.

I'll definitely buy my cousin the Mistborn books, since I know she loves these sorts of books. Maybe WoK too, but it's so long and she's pretty young... But who knows, she also plowed through ASoIaF with no problems.

• Chaos locked this topic