Heightened Healing

Oudeis

How much physical healing is granted by Heightenings? We know that it cures you of disease and I think it was said to give you a resistance to poison (though as we've seen, not immunity). It also extends your life, though if that's a factor of not dying of disease, I'm not sure.

If you've got a very bad wound, would a ton of Breath help you heal any faster? Deal with the pain (or would the pain be worse? Heightened senses are odd)? Would it "cure" you of the painkillers, just not the pain itself? On that note, is it harder to get drunk if you're Heightened?

I think lightsong explicitly stated at some point that he cannot get drunk, but maybe I'm confusing with something else.

And I suppose breath would give some improved healing from wounds (would also make more realistic the fact that vasher does all his stuff after being tortured one night), although we'd need more confirmation.

I think lightsong explicitly stated at some point that he cannot get drunk, but maybe I'm confusing with something else.

He does, well, Llarimar does and Lightsong responds in typical Lightsong fashion: "I know, but I am very good at pretending." {Quote is approximate}

I would guess that for the most part someone of the 5th heightening or above would be the same as a returned for healing etc.

It's specifically stated that the Divine Breath is just a super breath taking them to the 5th Heightening, granting then all

the normal powers another individual of said Heightening would have. This includes poison immunity, which alcohol is one. It also grants functional agelessness. A property that increasing Breath amounts increases proportionally until the 5th Heightening.

That is aside from its Divine Property of healing ANYTHING.

It's specifically stated that the Divine Breath is just a super breath taking them to the 5th Heightening, granting then all

the normal powers another individual of said Heightening would have. This includes poison immunity, which alcohol is one. It also grants functional agelessness. A property that increasing Breath amounts increases proportionally until the 5th Heightening.

That is aside from its Divine Property of healing ANYTHING.

Of course, this is all presented in world, by Brandon's notoriously unreliable expositors, and they have other abilities, like the shapechanging, that are poorly understood in-universe.

Of course, this is all presented in world, by Brandon's notoriously unreliable expositors, and they have other abilities, like the shapechanging, that are poorly understood in-universe.

Absolutely true, but I feel the shape changing to be more a property of Returned forcing their Physical aspect with a Cognitive 'push'.

Pretty sure immunity to poisons is listed under 5th heightening in ars arcanum. Not in the Returned section. Only a terrible scientist would make the assumption that anyone of the 5th heightening gets to basically be a returned without data to support. My conclusion: poison immunity isn't a Returned trait.

I've noticed that Breath abilities tend to be more about adding dimension than straight improvements. Your hearing doesn't become super, really. But you become much more discerning in what sounds your ears could already pick up. This holds true with vision and probably health as well.

Which is why I want to see a bronze misting with a lot of Breath.

Pretty sure immunity to poisons is listed under 5th heightening in ars arcanum. Not in the Returned section. Only a terrible scientist would make the assumption that anyone of the 5th heightening gets to basically be a returned without data to support. My conclusion: poison immunity isn't a Returned trait.

I've noticed that Breath abilities tend to be more about adding dimension than straight improvements. Your hearing doesn't become super, really. But you become much more discerning in what sounds your ears could already pick up. This holds true with vision and probably health as well.

Hemalurgy for fun and for profit, anyone? Give Vasher some Allomantic bronze via spiky implement, stat!

I'm under the impression that it's not quite that simple. The way Szeth's powers wouldn't work if he were in Shardplate, or you can't Push on metal inside of someone, I think systems of Investiture interfere with each other. If a Seeker took in a lot of Breath, I think all that power would interfere with his allomancy.

Just one man's opinion.

Should be - but aren't. If you read the books, you notice a whole bunch of jumping-around-on-metalminds. Wax pushes Wayne by his gold, Vin Pushes off TLR atium bracers, to state a couple.

Lol, quadruple post?

But on topic, we do know that Scadrial is a very low-Investiture world. So metalminds probably don't have enough Investiture to interfere that much. A little, maybe, but you should still be able to push on it without too much trouble.

I realize as well as anyone that we always get off the OP... but I'd still like an answer to my original question. Does anyone think that Breath affects physical healing one way or the other? From injury, not from disease or poison?

I realize as well as anyone that we always get off the OP... but I'd still like an answer to my original question. Does anyone think that Breath affects physical healing one way or the other? From injury, not from disease or poison?

I doubt it. There isn't a single mention of it in the entire book, and pain seems to be the regular amount when people get stabbed. Breath is also not 'used up' (it sticks around forever without decaying), so I find it doubtful. Stormlight, Allomantic pewter, Feruchemical gold, Regrowth, and the like all heal you but they all burn themselves up and apparently require tons more power than Breath provides.

Betting it doesent help healing, but you will still heal faster if you got a lot of breath ;)

Now, to sort that selfcontradictory statement out, most healing is made slower by infections and impurities in the wounds. Its also the main reason for deaths from wounds that doesent kill immidiately or through loss of blood.

Since sufficent amounts of breath means that disease and such is not a problem, you would heal faster and cleaner, with virtually no risk of complications.

But it would still be regular healing.

Lightsong was acutely aware of his wound. Hard to say if it was any more shocking than a normal person's though.

Well, it does say it was worse than for a normal person... expressly because in his short, pampered life, he's barely ever stubbed a toe, and has no actual concept of how to deal with pain.

I'm starting to realize how little we know about Breath and the Heightenings, because the only non-Returned Heightened person we really deal with in the books is someone who doesn't even want to learn anything about it until the book is more than half over... SEQUEL. Or a lot of questions for Mr. Sanderson.

Update: When stabbed through the leg, Lightsong does not heal any faster than a human. Unless we now think that the fact of his being Returned actually inhibits regeneration, it seems evident that Breath does nothing specific to heal you.

You cant say it that specifically, he only lives for a few hours. He doesent heal extremely much faster thou, no stormlight healing;) You wouldent even have time to notice pewterhealing in that time propably(thou he obviously doesent have simular as pewter for another reason, that he would have been able to ignore it)

As said, personally I think the immunity to infections and impurities will make it heal faster and better, but were talking about... well a stab like that, a few weeks to heal enough that it wont impair regular daily life for a normal human? what Im talking about is maybe half the time, and minimal or no scar.

Same that before modern medical care, stabs to the stomach and the intestines were often fatal, nasty deaths taking hours, or days, as it spread infections. With enough breaths, you´d propably survive that with some certainty.

• Chaos locked this topic