And Endowment's Holder Is...

The Sovereign

Harmony does find out the name of Adonalsium, so there might be something to that. Atium existed before the Final Empire though - did people mine it before TLR? They probably found the lerasium, as the beads were in clay-fired plates. Perhaps it was Hoid?

I believe it was just like atium coming in geodes which were needed to crack to get to the bead inside. Lerasium comes with ceramic-like-thing around it.

I believe it was just like atium coming in geodes which were needed to crack to get to the bead inside. Lerasium comes with ceramic-like-thing around it.

That was my thinking a while ago, but I thought more and more about it due to this thread and I think the way the clay was scattered around suggests the lerasium was harvested beforehand. (Obviously no one ate it before Rashek because why would you eat metal?)

Maybe Rashek just wanted easy access to the lerasium and so pre-harvested it. But it seems super unlikely for lerasium to come in ceramic rather than crystal geodes like the atium.

I was thinking ed-glee myself.

Maybe, but to me that sounds more masculine.

Edit: To be honest I've been using edge-ly from the start, even back when I thought Edgli was a male name. I've been pondering on why I didn't use ed-glee before, and I think it's because it feels really weird when I pronounce it that way. I guess I was looking for a pronunciation that was more natural for me, so I settled with edge-ly.

Edited by skaa

I think it's Ed-glee because it makes more phonetic sense.

In any case, we don't know much about how to pronounce Sandersonian names. Elantris was E-lon-tris, instead of E-lan-tris like I thought.

Eh, in-world it would be EE-LAYN-tris.  Brandon says EE-LAWN-tris, but he fully admits he says things differently than they would in-world.

But I'm in the ed-glee camp myself.

I've always pronounced it Edge-lee, mainly because I found Ed-glee to be a really awkward name (although nowhere near as awkward as some of the Aonic monstrosities - the "Aons have two hard vowels" rule was the bane of my existence).  I pronounce Breeze's first name "Edge-ard" for the same reason.  (Although with a name like "Ed-guard" I could tell why he jumped to a pseudonym) 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I already pronounce a great number of names the way I'd pronounce them in Polish (for example, Szeth is "Sheth", since "sz" is pronounced "sh")... It's weird how often I get a pronounciation which is the same as the English one. 'Edgli' is read Ed-glee, for example. I never read "Jasnah" with english "j", but with "y" (since the word "bright" is "jasny/jasna/jasne" in Polish, so I figured out that something's going on here). I also read 'Jezrien' with 'y', not 'j'. I wonder if it's correct.

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2015 at 3:06 PM, happyman said:

I think it is more likely that Endowment has been the same person since the Shattering.  A more likely series of events is that she eventually figured out how to/decided to start Returning people about 500 years ago.

As for how they got her name:  it seems extremely likely one of the many Returned in all that time learned and mentioned it at some point. Returned, in one form or another, form the basis of the only religions we see in any depth.

My breath to yours, dormant topic!

Maybe Edgli was resistant to Return people for a long time, but ~500 years ago the intent of the Endowment Shard moulded her cognitive aspect enough for its Intent to overwhelm Edgli original intent. Although, now that I think about it, since Warbreaker comes after the Mistborn trilogy  

Spoiler

where Ruin and Preservation are very in line with the shard's intent,

this seems unlikely. 

I've always considered the relatively recent beginning to the Returns as having to due with Endowment's gift for foresight. Given what we know from Lightsong's experiences and POV as a Returned, it feels like a pretty safe bet that Endowment is one of the Shards that's more capable than others when it comes to glimpsing the future.....which I always took to mean Endowment started Returning people five centuries ago in response to something she saw happening in the future.

Its the butterfly flapping its wings somewhere creates a hurricane somewhere else nature of extreme variables. Her decision to start Returning people could very likely have had nothing to do with Nalthis itself, but might have been brought about by a shift in her foresight....a change elsewhere in the cosmere caused ripples in what she saw coming down the pike and suddenly she felt she needed a more proactive stance on Nalthis...even if it wasn't BECAUSE of anything on Nalthis. However what that catalyst for change was could have been any number of things in the cosmere.

I mean, given that Warbreaker was only written to be a prequel to Vasher being in The Stormlight Archives and to show where he came from, for all we know, Edgli started Returning people because she saw Vasher and Nightblood needing to exist and be on Roshar in order to defeat Odium. 

On 1/20/2017 at 6:46 PM, Flynn said:

Maybe Edgli was resistant to Return people for a long time, but ~500 years ago the intent of the Endowment Shard molded her cognitive aspect enough for its Intent to overwhelm Edgli original intent. Although, now that I think about it, since Warbreaker comes after the Mistborn trilogy [..] this seems unlikely. 

23 hours ago, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

which I always took to mean Endowment started Returning people five centuries ago in response to something she saw happening in the future.

We know pretty much absolutely nothing about the world pre-Returned, and hardly anything pre-Manywar. Keeping with her Intent, perhaps she felt that Breath on its own was enough, and after some bout of future vision, created the first Returned and "endowed" knowledge upon them. Vo appears to have seen much more than most Returned, judging by the extent and wording of some of his Five Visions.

Perhaps Awakening was always there, but without the intuitive awakening provided by the higher Heightenings, nobody knew how to do it, and Endowments vision saw a need for people to know how. The 5 Scholars made massive leaps in knowledge and technology, possibly with "subtle" nudging in the right direction from Endowment.

Now that the Visions are known, the Scholars have advanced, and Awakening is more commonly understood, Endowment only provides simpler visions, such as the ones seen by Lightsong and Blushweaver.

• Chaos locked this topic