And Endowment's Holder Is...

The Sovereign

Well done :)

It was high likely but it's great to have a 100% sure proof.

Yeah, I had thought it made pretty decent sense that Edgli was Endowment but Brandon has been pretty tight-lipped about it. I had actually asked him about it at a signing last year and he nearly answered and ultimately RAFO'd me... guess I wore him down...

Edited by Iron Eyes

Yeah, I had thought it made pretty decent sense that Edgli was Endowment but Brandon has been pretty tight-lipped about it. I had actually asked him about it at a signing last year and he nearly answered and ultimately RAFO'd me... guess I wore him down...

I think Brandon often RAFOs things like this at first but decides they're either obvious enough or that they're non-crucial enough that they can be answered after later questioning. Between that and critical re-wording of questions, it's often a good idea to repeat good questions after some time! :)

Weee! Shard WoBs are the best WoBs!

As usual Argent is on the right track hahaha

I wonder if this can be taken as more evidence that the shard Endowment was taken or re-taken up rather recently? 

Magic seems to have been in lockdown until 500 some years ago when the first returned showed up. No magic seems to have been in use until the conquistadors arrived and drove out the Pahn Kahl. Perhaps someone took up the shard then? Or maybe they awakened the shard somehow? Where do the immigrants acquire the word Edgli from?

As well, the people of Nathalis seem to have known the name of their Shardholder in living memory. Someone managed to name those flowers after her in the last 500 years (unless sit is a Pahn Kahl word). The only reason we know Leras - Lerassium is because the Lord Ruler held the power. So I think it makes sense to assume that someone either became the shard recently or interacted with Shardpools/wells in the last 500ish years. 

Edited by teknopathetic

I wonder if this can be taken as more evidence that the shard Endowment was taken or re-taken up rather recently? 

Magic seems to have been in lockdown until 500 some years ago when the first returned showed up. No magic seems to have been in use until the conquistadors arrived and drove out the Pahn Kahl. Perhaps someone took up the shard then? Or maybe they awakened the shard somehow? Where do the immigrants acquire the word Edgli from?

As well, the people of Nathalis seem to have known the name of their Shardholder in living memory. Someone managed to name those flowers after her in the last 500 years (unless sit is a Pahn Kahl word). The only reason we know Leras - Lerassium is because the Lord Ruler held the power. So I think it makes sense to assume that someone either became the shard recently or interacted with Shardpools/wells in the last 500ish years. 

I think it is more likely that Endowment has been the same person since the Shattering.  A more likely series of events is that she eventually figured out how to/decided to start Returning people about 500 years ago.

As for how they got her name:  it seems extremely likely one of the many Returned in all that time learned and mentioned it at some point. Returned, in one form or another, form the basis of the only religions we see in any depth.

I think it is more likely that Endowment has been the same person since the Shattering.  A more likely series of events is that she eventually figured out how to/decided to start Returning people about 500 years ago.

As for how they got her name:  it seems extremely likely one of the many Returned in all that time learned and mentioned it at some point. Returned, in one form or another, form the basis of the only religions we see in any depth.

I tend to agree with you, I would guess that it was simply a matter of Edgli starting to return people at that time.

Regarding the name, A returned saying it seems likely, but it may not have even needed to have been a Returned. As everyone on Nalthis is invested with her power (via Breath) they may have just intuitively knew her name.

Well the Lord Ruler puts it in the market, so he probably coined it with his Ascension knowhow.

Harmony does find out the name of Adonalsium, so there might be something to that. Atium existed before the Final Empire though - did people mine it before TLR? They probably found the lerasium, as the beads were in clay-fired plates. Perhaps it was Hoid?