The Bands of Mourning chapter three discussion

ccstat

I am missing something. Is Harmony the local god of the entire planet, or just of the northern part? He certainly knows what is going on in the south because he was telling Wax about how they were more technologically developed than the people in Elendel. I just thought certain things were being deliberately hidden from him, not that he didn't have the same power there.

The Kondra however, seem to have been kept apart from the south or never previously had an interest in what was there until very recently.

Local god?

None of the shards actually have to stay in one place, they just feel like it. Odium had been getting around quite frequently until the Oathpact happened. It's paying attention to things beyond the region their power saturates that's probably difficult to impossible. Though just the Well's share can already shift orbits and mass-alter existing life, shift landforms, etc. Tracking an entire planet should be cakewalk.

As far as we know everything on Scadrial is artificial as well.

On the Bands issue, a metal with no precedent of being strange being impossible to compound seems like the weirdest solution to the problem ever, since it doesn't seem like spiritweb attributes are so delicately programmed that they stop working even with just minor errors in transcription (all that delicious spike decay going on all the time . . .) so I'm of the belief nicrosil compounding probably should work. It's a loophole hack to begin with, it doesn't have to be entirely fair when double steel is already nigh unstoppable. Now since the Inquisitors don't really ever compound steel for some vague "never fully learned it" esque reason, I'm all for something like it taking some actual fiddling to pull off . . .

Now the mural photo of some guy wearing the bands is bothering me . . . it'd be odd if the bands have ever been used. Unless they're still attached to the guy and there's atium floating around somewhere, nobody will be stupid enough to put the power back in unless they can reproduce it. Or maybe the Bands are empty now. Wouldn't that be anticlimactic.

Edited by natc

Local god?

None of the shards actually have to stay in one place, they just feel like it. Odium had been getting around quite frequently until the Oathpact happened. It's paying attention to things beyond the region their power saturates that's probably difficult to impossible. Though just the Well's share can already shift orbits and mass-alter existing life, shift landforms, etc. Tracking an entire planet should be cakewalk.

As far as we know everything on Scadrial is artificial as well.

On the Bands issue, a metal with no precedent of being strange being impossible to compound seems like the weirdest solution to the problem ever, since it doesn't seem like spiritweb attributes are so delicately programmed that they stop working even with just minor errors in transcription (all that delicious spike decay going on all the time . . .) so I'm of the belief nicrosil compounding probably should work. It's a loophole hack to begin with, it doesn't have to be entirely fair when double steel is already nigh unstoppable. Now since the Inquisitors don't really ever compound steel for some vague "never fully learned it" esque reason, I'm all for something like it taking some actual fiddling to pull off . . .

Now the mural photo of some guy wearing the bands is bothering me . . . it'd be odd if the bands have ever been used. Unless they're still attached to the guy and there's atium floating around somewhere, nobody will be stupid enough to put the power back in unless they can reproduce it. Or maybe the Bands are empty now. Wouldn't that be anticlimactic.

Well they have to stick around for a while to properly invest in a planet so there are some limitations.

EDIT: Also another idea for depowering but not destroying the bands, taking the power from them then storing it in two separate metalminds, one for allomancy and one for feruchemy.

Or restoring everything except Feruchemical nicrosil, letting it die with Wax/someone so the power can't just keep getting passed on.

Edited by Voidus

I think there are a few issues to consider. I seem to recall a WoB about Preservation having changed the mechanics/metals of allomancy a little bit (can anyone clarify this for me?) So if that is the case, would Rashek known of these changes when he took up the well? Or did the ancient Terri's know of Investiture and Identity as storable attributes? It would provide some insight as to whether or not Rashek knew of the metals and their capabilities

I think there are a few issues to consider. I seem to recall a WoB about Preservation having changed the mechanics/metals of allomancy a little bit (can anyone clarify this for me?) So if that is the case, would Rashek known of these changes when he took up the well? Or did the ancient Terri's know of Investiture and Identity as storable attributes? It would provide some insight as to whether or not Rashek knew of the metals and their capabilities

If those changes extended back that far then yes he would have known, although Preservation could presumably only alter Allomancy like that not feruchemy.

I'd be pretty skeptical that the ancient Terris would know of those attributes.

Preservation did in fact alter Allomancy in the sense that atium Mistings would never have arisen naturally and were made artificially.

The mists didn't forcibly Snap/create cadmium/bendalloy Mistings (instead "replacing" them with Snapping atium and malatium Mistings), but cadmium and bendalloy Mistings did exist in the Final Empire.

Sazed has since made it so no more atium or malatium Mistings will arise, and has made Snapping "easier".

The Allomantic metals are natural for Scadrial. We keep bandying about Harmony 'switching the metals', but the metals are an integral part of Scadrial. The Mistings, at least, are more or less stable. This comes from a WoB that the Surge pairings on Roshar are a part of the planet, like the metals on Scadrial.

Last I checked this is the Bands of Mourning Chapter 3 Discussion thread topic and not the other one about atium mistings I remember existing.

Unless this site is lying to me again. It happened once.

Edited by natc

The mists didn't forcibly Snap/create cadmium/bendalloy Mistings (instead "replacing" them with Snapping atium and malatium Mistings), but cadmium and bendalloy Mistings did exist in the Final Empire.

Hmm, I hadn't seen that quote before, but I am a little curious now. Yomen (and I'm assuming most other atium Mistings that quietly existed in the history of the Final Empire) was not Snapped by the mists, yet was an atium Misting rather than some other metal. I wonder how that's supposed to work?

Sorry, travelling is leaving me feeling rather like I'm storing mental acuity so I completely failed to make my correct point. The point I was trying to get at was, if ancient Terris and therefore Rashek, knew of Feruchemical Nicrosil and Aluminum, as Nicrosil had no presence in era 1 either allomantically or feruchemically and aluminum was only seen allomantically. We can assume Rashek found out about Duralumin and Aluminum via the Well so presumably he would have known about the other 4 metals. We also know that he created the metal slates as a contingency in case he died so if he truly had created the bands, then surely he would have put their location on them so he, after a fashion, could return and finish what he started.

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Hmm, I hadn't seen that quote before, but I am a little curious now. Yomen (and I'm assuming most other atium Mistings that quietly existed in the history of the Final Empire) was not Snapped by the mists, yet was an atium Misting rather than some other metal. I wonder how that's supposed to work?

Most likely, Preservation made it so that as many Atium mistings would be born as Cadmium mistings, messing with their spiritweb at birth.

...which still raises some questions...

It is implied that the practise guards for Shardblades are made from aluminium.

I think we actually heard the guards are not aluminum. Some time ago. I mean, least of all, people on Roshar are familiar with aluminum as metal (see Shallan's flashbacks), and they don't know what the guards are made of.

Edited by Argent

#1 → The lance is indeed the one you presume. It's significance is that it is also the spear that killed Kelsier. It is venerated like the cross of Christ, you know, since the spear is the symbol of the Church of the Survior and whatnot.

#2 → Theory time!

I think that Wax's sister is being held off-world. The script in a language that no one knows is kind of the giveaway in my opinion. The location of the suspected shardpool in Shadows of Self was given as "the Southern Roughs." Does anyone know where New Seran is located? I noticed on the map of Elendel Basin that the "Southern Roughs" are just south of the Seran mountain Range.

*Checks his map, confident he has the answer!* Er. It's not here. My map only covers the Basin and the Northern Roughs, and neither of them have a New Seran. However the MAG AoL supplement details the Southern Roughs as a weird place...

I love the idea of hemalurgical piercing dens. It's like dark alley organ "donation." It's the proverbial "sell a kidney" tactic. It's also one that Sanderson has already hinted at with drabs in Warbreaker.

I can just see the kind of places you would find a place like this; although I'd imagine that soothing parlors might naturally expand their business models to include this kind of thing.

To borrow a culturally insensitive but hilarious bit of comedy... "so I look out the window and notice the places we are passing as we drive by... gun store, liquor store, piercing den, soothing parlor, liquor store... wait! What kind of place are you taking me to?!" Ha ha ha!

I'm getting a "Repo! The Genetic Opera" vibe from this. What happens when you don't pay the dues for renting your spikes? ;)

I always pictured it as Australia as well. Speaking of that how exactly did Marsh travel there? I guess it makes more sense it is more like North/South America with some kind of land connection. That seems weird to me though since you would think at least the southern people would traverse this at some point. 

You know, I once tried to run a MAG game featuring material from the Southern Civilisation (spoilers follow for anyone with the vain hope that I'll start up Shattered State again sometime). We know from WoB (somewhere... I'll find it if someone else doesn't have it) that the Southerners didn't have the Ashmounts and Genetic modifications that the Northerners had, but that they were given something else to help them survive, something that also allowed them to survive the post Rashek planet moving (Vin and Sazed). 

My conclusion was that they lived under ground in a manner similar to the way Rashek set up the Kandra, possibly on some kind of nutritious fungus like the Kandra did. Looking over my notes, I actually built a whole history for them based on what we knew and the assumption that they lived underground, including discovering the metallic arts (since the seeds for them were in all Scadrians pre-Rashek) and infiltrating the North (the setting for the MAG game I was narrating).

Pity I got so busy.

• Chaos locked this topic