This is certainly the case, kas. But at least in the beginning, we will be able to have enough votes to overpower the emotional allomancy available to the Spiked. So protecting our own votes seems less important to me than not hamstringING any seeking roles we have. The Spiked could easily have a Seeker too, or a Mistborn that draws bronze. I'll admit I hadn't thought through those situations as carefully, though. Anything we do to make our own seekers more effective (if we have them) would clear the way for a Spiked Seeker as well. In my estimation, it's still worth it, but not as clear cut as I thought

I think it's worth the risk. Roles are valued too highly, and everyone can have an impact on the game. If the Elims do have a Seeker and find important roles and consecutively kill them, then we'll know, while our Seeker (if we have one) can try to find protection and people to trust.

Kilven beheld the horrible message written in the snow and shivered. The cold was not the main source of his shivering, but the medium of the message. The blood indicated that the village of Tyrian Falls had more to fear than Koloss attacks. Allies of the Koloss were among them. The villagers would be terrified and in need of his craft before long. Returning to the forge, Kilven started the forge fire and prepared for the first request for a sword.

That's right, villagers. If you want your avatar to have a sword, come to me.

Edited by Mashadar Mistborn

This is certainly the case, kas. But at least in the beginning, we will be able to have enough votes to overpower the emotional allomancy available to the Spiked. So protecting our own votes seems less important to me than not hamstringING any seeking roles we have. The Spiked could easily have a Seeker too, or a Mistborn that draws bronze. I'll admit I hadn't thought through those situations as carefully, though. Anything we do to make our own seekers more effective (if we have them) would clear the way for a Spiked Seeker as well. In my estimation, it's still worth it, but not as clear cut as I thought

Do we, though? Because if we do want to overpower Emotional Allomancy, then we essentially need a lynch with a decently-sized margin. Given the activity in recent games, I'm hesitant to say we might get such a margin. Moreover, I think that voting "so as to avoid emotional allomancy" kind of defeats the point of voting; it provides an easy smokescreen for Eliminators to hide.

I think it's worth the risk. Roles are valued too highly, and everyone can have an impact on the game. If the Elims do have a Seeker and find important roles and consecutively kill them, then we'll know, while our Seeker (if we have one) can try to find protection and people to trust.

Tell that to the number of inactives cropping up recently. I don't disagree that everyone can have an impact, but you can definitely bet that all things being equal, I'd rather trade a Regular or a Smoker for a Lurcher or a Seeker. And I definitely argue that while in theory everyone can, in practice, not everyone does, and more often than not, roles are important because they are a Village resource. That's perfectly compatible with the claim everyone can have an impact: it's not about preserving the important people, it's about preserving assets so the Village is in the best position it can possibly be in. Of course, you do realise you're basically advocating Follow the Cop, right? You want to go down that road again?

I'm saying that we can allow someone to trust people 100%, but really in the time it would take for that to happen, we should all have plenty of suspicions. 'Follow the Cop' happens for a reason, ya know. But I don't advocate if, though if it happens I won't try to stop it. Inactives are a problem, yes, but we need to stop focusing on them. It's easy for someone to say 'Kill Inactives' and just breeze through.

I'm saying that we can allow someone to trust people 100%, but really in the time it would take for that to happen, we should all have plenty of suspicions. 'Follow the Cop' happens for a reason, ya know. But I don't advocate if, though if it happens I won't try to stop it. Inactives are a problem, yes, but we need to stop focusing on them. It's easy for someone to say 'Kill Inactives' and just breeze through.

Except that I'm not saying 'Kill inactives'; as seen earlier, I advocated turning the Coinshot kill into a secondary lynch. What I am saying is that as nice as it sounds in theory that everyone can affect the course of the game, the fact remains that not everyone does, and a decent amount of that has to do with inactivity. Anyone can analyse; I grant some people can analyse better than others. But roles give us options, and for that reason, all things being equal, I'd rather not lose a role.

Deliberate or incidental misrepresentation?

That's the last I'm going to say on this matter. Back to work for me.

Do we, though? Because if we do want to overpower Emotional Allomancy, then we essentially need a lynch with a decently-sized margin. Given the activity in recent games, I'm hesitant to say we might get such a margin. Moreover, I think that voting "so as to avoid emotional allomancy" kind of defeats the point of voting; it provides an easy smokescreen for Eliminators to hide.

Fair enough. Things have changed significantly in the last year. And not completely for the better - at least where inactivity is concerned. Voting to open up space in the lynch vote is an old tactic, and can be scrutinized accordingly. But it is valuable even so, I think. And we likely have our own emotional allomancy to counter theirs. But either way, the smokers have heard the argument for both sides. They'll make their own decisions.

Aralis sat on his porch, staring at the commotion in the village square. Or at least, the attempt at commotion. By all rights proper skaa should be at home and abed this time of night. All he could make out were some smudges of light through the mist and a few raised voices, but that was far more activity than what was usual before this absurd rumors of Koloss and Spiked. Sighing to himself, Aralis slowly eased himself out of his chair and grabbed his walking stick. If people were determined to stop him from sulking in silence, then by all means he would make sure that the matter was dealt with as quickly as possible.

"Where are the rest of you fellows? Half the village makes a big fuss about spiked the other day, and then only a couple actually make a big deal about it. By the ash! You better decide whether you want to disturb me or not, because once I'm stirred up, there is no sitting back down, no sir! Some of you young fellows might find yourself waking up with a headache in the morning if you don't figure this out right quick."

He hefted his cane suggestively, then limped back to sit in his chair and get a little sleep.

Just a heads-up, I'm currently out-of-state, and will be until Monday.  As such my contributions will be minimal (I'll be able to submit actions/vote on a lynch, though i don't think we will know enough to have one first time round) but you will have to wait for the rp posts I'm planning.

Riew still hadn't quite recovered from finding that bloody message in the snow.  Well both of the messages really, sure one was written with words, but well actions speak louder than words.  And the scene he stumbled upon was certainly...  Riew downed the rest of his drink.  Stop thinking about it.  There's nothing you can do...

Kane returned late from the greenhouses outside of town. Another long day of caring for the plans left him exhausted. He didn't mind though. It sometimes seemed that flowers were more understanding than people.

He trekked home through the thick snow reflecting on the days events. Dull and predictable as always, just as he liked it. Until that is he came through the center of town. There was a lot of confused noise and people huddled in groups gossiping. In the middle of it all was a mass of wreckage that vaguely resembled an overturned carriage. Although how it ended up in that bad of condition he couldn't tell.

Kane sighed. "So much for predictable." And he entered the throng to see what he could learn.

As long as the Tineye is alive, players can send Private Messages back and forth. Once he dies, he can no longer deliver messages, so no more PMs.

So there's only one Tineye?

No hints will be given in the write ups.

Does this mean we won't know who is killed by what(Coinshot v. Spike)? All deaths will just be deaths?

Edited by Hellscythe

So there's only one Tineye?

Does this mean we won't know who is killed by what(Coinshot v. Spike)? All deaths will just be deaths?

No. Never guess Meta's role distribution. EVER. Read QF2 if you want to see why. So many Gunners. :P

Nope, Coinshot/Mistborn with steel kills will be differentiated from Spiked kills.

Lu frowned at the wrecked coach and the message. The message made it clear there was more than just koloss at work here. It bothered her that she didn’t know who had done it. She prided herself on knowing everything that went on in the village. She’d heard rumors of some strange powers--evil arts that only the most twisted people would employ. Before, she had discounted them as rumors, but now she knew she had to get to the bottom of this.

The people in the village--at least the ones who were awake this late at least--had already started talking about how to deal with the threat. That was good. She hoped the others would be ready to work to find the culprits come day.

As it was, she figured she might as well do what she did best--tell people what to do.

“Everyone,” she announced to the people still gathered outside, “we’re going to have to work together to survive this mess. I know some of you have powers that could help us find who did this.” She gestured at the scene that still held everyone else’s eyes, even after several hours.

“Tineyes, we’re going to need your powers to send messages that our enemies can’t find. Keep yourselves alive and ready to carry messages. Also, it would be helpful for us to know how many of you we have so we can plan for when messages go down. (So all of you send in a message tonight. It doesn’t have to be elaborate. Hiding things in messages can help you claim later, but you can always claim directly in a message later if you want to.) If you ever have important information you want to share anonymously, use your message to do so.

“Lurchers, protect someone. Try to keep them from whittling us down. Just don’t forget and sleep through the night.

"Likewise with Seekers. Your powers will be very helpful for us to find the Spiked and form groups that can trust one another. Target your suspects or the people you want to work with. Just don't forget. And stay hidden from everyone except who you trust.

“Coinshots, hold off for now. Your powers are best used with precision. Don’t do the enemies’ job for them. In the future, we as a village can guide you in choosing targets.

“Smokers, for now it is best if you don’t use your powers. We don’t want to make our seekers’ job any harder. It is also good if we can see what our enemies do to influence the votes. Smoking people will only hide vote manipulation and reveal to the spiked who they won’t be able to influence in the future. You will be valuable in keeping people’s emotions their own in the future, if we are in danger of being overrun by the spiked, but for now you should sit back. Remember, if you choose not to use your powers, you must send that in as an action.

“Thugs, it will be helpful if the spiked waste a kill on you. There isn’t much you can do to cause that, but make sure the spiked don’t know about your powers.

“Soothers and Rioters, we will want you to keep the village calm. However, early on if you try to influence the vote we won’t be able to tell if it is a villager or a spiked. We’ll want you most of all when our numbers are few. However, at first you can help us find people who are shielded by copperclouds. If the smokers take my advice, only the spiked who want to remain hidden to seekers will be shielded from your allomancy. Until we know who is evil, you can try to find copperclouds. Just make sure you don’t do anything that will mess with the vote.

“Mistborn, you have an impressive powerset. I know it might be tempting to use whatever power you have whenever you have it, but it is best if you follow the advice I gave for each individual power and hold back if necessary. Also, if you get Tin any night, make a message you can use to reveal yourself later because, unlike Tineyes, you might not have the chance to do so again.

“However, it isn’t just the people with powers who we need. We need everyone to discuss and vote. Otherwise the spiked will kill us all without a fight. I want to hear from every one of you tomorrow. For now, watch for anything suspicious and be careful about who you trust.”

With that, Lu left to get a few winks of sleep. It was late and she would need to be at her best when day came.

I put most of my thoughts above. Here’s my main points though.
  • The first cycle is a bit premature to go after inactives. I hope everyone will contribute sufficiently so that we don’t have to later.
  • I put thoughts about what each role should do above. Read that and either follow or discard the advice as you choose.
  • I like the idea of a night vote as long as we don’t expect the same level of activity in it as during the day since the night is shorter than the day and some people have actions to focus on instead of voting during the night.
  • In response to the discussion Kas and Seonid had about what Smokers should do, I’d like to add that I think Smokers should not burn for now. This isn’t just because it can confuse the seekers. Emotional allomancy early on can be a valuable source of information, and I think it will be better for us if Smokers don’t mask that. In addition, Soothers and Rioters can try to find anyone hidden by a coppercloud, and if we are in agreement that village Smokers shouldn’t burn, we can be suspicious of anyone a Soother or Rioter tries and fails to influence. It’s obviously not perfect because the Smokers might not all agree and a Spiked Smoker could easily target an innocent, but it would give us something useful to go on.
  • Whatever the Smokers choose, remember that you have to send in an order to not burn.
  • Everyone remember to send in whatever orders you choose to make. There’s only about three hours left.

That depends, do you have a few thousand boxings?

"I don't suppose your a fan of my work? I could offer things like inclusion in my latest novel, and early access to the final draft. Otherwise, it's going to take a few days to get the money together. I don't keep that amount on my person."

Edrab stopped to listen as Lu addressed the village, nodding in agreement as she outlined some ideas on how to bolster their defence. When she was done, Edrab approached and shook her hand.

"Thanks for your thoughts, Lu!"

Day 1: Inkblot

Most of the townsfolk were especially jumpy after the incident with Clara’s sleigh; as if they were waiting for the other shoe to drop. Many were already trying to jump into action to find the culprits behind it; as if they were hoping that they could take care of the situation within a single night. But, as the night wore on and there were no new screams in the dark and no new disasters struck, even the most adamant and zealous of them started to droop. One by one, they made their way back home to their beds.

Senn wasn’t tired. For him, everything seemed to be changing so fast that he felt that, if he slept, he’d be swept away. Everything from the Lord Ruler’s downfall to the loss of Mr. Cuddles; the fall of the Nobility to the changing of the seasons; it was all so sudden and dramatic and it was taking its toll on him.

He paced around his study, sometimes glancing out the window at the frozen world outside his floor to ceiling window. It was difficult to tell on whether it was falling ash or if it had started to snow again outside. His mansion sat a bit away from the rest of the village. His closest neighbors were all other mansions, like the Lepinceau estate, and they were set away from each other as well. While it gave him his privacy, it also isolated him.

Senn had heard about the terrible events unfolding in town. It was bad enough that Slart had come back with information of an approaching horde of Koloss, but now it seemed as if they were being harassed by some unknown terrorists, intent on getting them all killed. And within a blink of an eye, the village had gone from a peaceful, charming place to a chaotic cesspool of paranoia and fear. Another change. But at least this one was something that Senn could do something about and so he stayed up, pacing and thinking. He’d occasionally write something down, a reminder for him to get further information on something the following day.

He had sent the rest of the staff to bed as it had been a stressful day for everyone, so when he went to mark down another one of his thoughts and he found his inkwell dry, there was no one for him to call to replace it.

Senn sighed at yet another change, even though it was so minor in comparison, but it wasn’t like he was helpless. He wasn’t one of those nobles who delegated everything to his servants and he probably would’ve gotten a new inkwell himself anyways. It was just a quick walk down the hall and into a storage closet where they kept extras of all sorts of knick knacks that were likely to run out over time.

He was almost back to his study when he noticed that the door to the study was slightly ajar. Had he not closed it all the way? He couldn’t remember and it wasn’t likely that it was all that important in the first place, so he pushed the door open and made his way back to his desk.

He hadn’t made it more than a few paces inside before he felt an odd sense of warmth spread through him, starting in his back. Also, the floor seemed to loom closer and closer to him.

The transition from a living, breathing human to death was likely the quickest and the most dramatic change that Senn had ever gone through. Luckily though, he wouldn’t have to go through it ever again.

When the Village awoke, it was raining outside, but it wasn’t raindrops. Many of the townsfolk flocked outside, staring up at the sky in bewilderment. All around them, small pieces of paper, about the size of an envelope fell out of the sky without end. As some of the people picked them up, they noticed that on one side, this was printed on them:

12434367_10153349397847029_1539861751_n.

and on the other, this:

eamRn2nt/o0nNSscoOVHcI1RcpJOeCQsjpMsK+Gl1kYuHc9uKSjL7s1kExcY/g91
lZc9VlAYmUVzW24Y+IIwYy01mJ3Ft92GyCD41vXecJEHTao3OwIfdUww1/OZ2muvP78qqxjK4+LO
OHdC9OYAiWuZMWnSvHzfXic86DJUZ2NnuLUKvi087aYxi+Q2eMZgQ/mb8nle2us+x65hy1NJ5A==
MJpstedK927CQKEcFMlZPI2GgZtOBDWA94s4jK78s3J+gwMenE2kISa7JSEuWwWpGzKwMHAuVnRC
GzcUEvERvPjeG5nrroRHp5A1D59eLKkA4e8uVAsXxNcH8d8EVqcuoZmf670xZq6i6950NlblnVfZ
C77xiQBTZKxQGX470PlyJE/d2/hxRz3PbkBtEmrKMIsUnYFJQg0rUjcrTmUvxVvIMWBwwcK28Lhx
n2wDMCI=

https://www.infoencrypt.com/

Passwords easy.

They didn’t seem to know what to do with either.

Day 1 begins! You have 48 hours before the end of the turn, so have at it! Good luck.

Senn Conrad was a Regular Villager!

Current Player List

gra_1451365140.png

Edited by Alvron

Dunno if I'll keep this up, but anyway:

Quick Links:

Player List:

1. Mailliw73 - Maill (The Cobbler)
2. Haelbarde - Edrab Leah (Author)
3. Seonid - Senn Conrad (Minor Nobleman)
4. IrulelikeSTINK - STINK (Glitched AI in the Shape of a Horse)
5. Herowannabe - Herwynbe (Terris Steward)
6. OrlokTsubodai - Locke Tekiel (Estranged Son of a Noble House)
7. Kasimir - Kassien Estvaril (Apothecary)
8. Bort - Bartholomew the Blind (Knight Awkward)
9. Wyrmhero - The Surprisingly Mediocre Amazing Wyrm (Traveling Magician)
10. Ripplegylf - Clara Lepinceau (Former Noblewoman)
11. Venture Mistborn - Alexander Venture (Mute Beggar)
12. Mark IV - Unknown (Amnesiac)
13. WeiryWriter - Riew (Skaa Courier)
14. Hellscythe - Hellscythe (Madman who thinks he's a ghost)
15. Adavantos - Gidomara Grae (Professional Procrastinator)
16. Araris Valerian - Aralis (Skeptical Elderly Grump)
17. Phattemer - Exisa (Small and Paranoid)
18. Madashar Mistborn - Kilven (Blacksmith)
19. Creccio - Inor Haze (Mortician/Taxidermist)
20. Shallan - Citona Vinid (Bellringer)
21. Alvron - Vron (Alchemist and all around resurrected guy)
22. Lightsworn Panda - Jain (Panda, of course)
23. Sart - Slart (Quiet Hunter)
24. TheMightyLopen - Lippen (Head of the Sewing Circle)
25. Elkanah - Kane (Florist)
26. Elbereth - El (Illusionist)
27. Luckat - Lu (Town Busybody)

Now to read the writeup.

Edit: Well, at least we didn't lose any roles to the eliminators. And we have at least two tineye. Yay for redundancy. 

So lets start up some discussion shall we? Lopen, you didn't seem to post in thread last cycle. Busy? Do you have any thoughts on how the village should make use of its roles?
Edited by Haelbarde