Could we trouble you for a players list?

Edit: Well, here's a player list anyway:

1. Mailliw73 - Maill (The Cobbler)
2. Haelbarde - Edrab Leah (Author)
3. Seonid - Senn Conrad (Minor Nobleman)
4. IrulelikeSTINK - STINK (Glitched AI in the Shape of a Horse)
5. Herowannabe - Herwynbe (Terris Steward)
6. OrlokTsubodai - Locke Tekiel (Estranged Son of a Noble House)
7. Kasimir - Kassien Estvaril (Apothecary)
8. Bort - Bartholomew the Blind (Knight Awkward)
9. Wyrmhero - The Surprisingly Mediocre Amazing Wyrm (Traveling Magician)
10. Ripplegylf - Clara Lepinceau (Former Noblewoman)
11. Venture Mistborn - Alexander Venture (Mute Beggar)
12. Mark IV - Unknown (Amnesiac)
13. WeiryWriter - Riew (Skaa Courier)
14. Hellscythe - Hellscythe (Madman who thinks he's a ghost)
15. Adavantos - Gidomara Grae (Professional Procrastinator)
16. Araris Valerian - Aralis (Skeptical Elderly Grump)
17. Phattemer - Exisa (Small and Paranoid)
18. Madashar Mistborn - Kilven (Blacksmith)
19. Creccio - Inor Haze (Mortician/Taxidermist)
20. Shallan - Citona Vinid (Bellringer)
21. Alvron - Vron (Alchemist and all around resurrected guy)
22. Lightsworn Panda - Jain (Panda, of course)
23. Sart - Slart (Quiet Hunter)
24. TheMightyLopen - Lippen (Head of the Sewing Circle)
25. Elkanah - Kane (Florist)
26. Elbereth - El (Illusionist)
27. Luckat - Lu (Town Busybody)
Edited by Haelbarde

Fair enough, and thanks. If I decide it annoys me, then I'll just start doing a quick links post at start of cycle - rollover is convenient this time, so I'd be able to actually do so this time, if I wanted.

So basically, no one kill M'Hael, or we won't get those quick links? I see your cunning plan :P

how about we just all agree to not kill each other. What do you say Team Spiked? No? Drat.

Alright it's 3:00am for me right now so I won't be posting much, but let me at least give advice to the two roles I've had before:

Coinshots: if you're on team village don't start killing anyone yet. Taking random potshots in the dark is far more likely to kill a useful villager than to hit a Spiked. You should be waiting until you are certain your target is a spiked before you start shooting. Or if you can't wait that long then start by taking out inactives (Go go Gadget Contribution Crusade!). This will encourage the Spikeds to avoid hiding through inactivity.

If you're a Coinshot on team Spiked then don't kill anyone. Ever. ;P

Tineye: have fun with your messages and stay alive! I recommend hiding secret clues in your messages that you can use to verify your role later on if you need to (see my role in LG2 for how I did it- all my Tin messages are explained at the end of the game)

Everybody: to repeat what Kas said before the game: TRUST NOBODY! Don't go around revealing your role, even if you're just a vanilla villager. It almost inevitably ends up in the Eliminator's hands and then they can use that info to pick their victims. Far better to let them take potshots in the dark than to spill your secrets just because the person you're PMing seems trustworthy.

Edit: typo

Edited by Herowannabe

Is there any reason we shouldn't be starting things off with a lynch discussion today? May be a Night Turn, but that's no reason to skip discussion, even on the first day. There may not be anything to really say right now, but that's how first Turns go anyway. The more we talk, the more chance the Eliminators let something slip, so why not start now?

With regards to what Hreo has just said, I kind of disagree. The Coinshots should really start taking out inactives as soon as possible to reduce hiding places and make sure our lynches are actually of use rather than mopping up non-contributors. However. Having said that, I am aware that today is a rather difficult day for people to get on. As such, I'd say it's not a bad idea to leave it a Cycle and start taking them out next Night, when we have more idea of who is actually inactive-inactive and not just Boxing-Day-inactive.

The Amazing Wyrm shook his head sadly at the spectacle in the middle of the village, the words written in the snow by someone who very clearly needed a new set of inks. Frankly, he was amazed there was anyone else literate in a village like this. But it seemed that not only was someone able to, but they were also just a little unhinged.

He did not so much take issue with the content of the message (he was fairly annoyed with that too, but it wasn't as though this would be the first time he was told he was going to die), more with the delivery of it. There was no flair, no style with it. Words written in blood was always a classic way of getting your point across, but to just leave it there... For all the writer knew, the words would just get covered up by the snow a short while afterwards. It was a careless method in this weather, and it was depressing to see the lack of care behind it.

But still, this sort of doom and gloom meant that someone needed to cheer folks up. And how better to amaze and delight people than with misdirection and prestidigitation? He cleared his throat and put his hands around his mouth so he could shout better. "Tickets are now just two clips! Two clips gets you to see The Amazing Wyrm, alive on stage! Forget your woes and troubles as I pull rabbits and rodents out of the very hat on my head! With a clap of my hands, I produce a variety of root vegetables, straight from the gardens of Luthadel's nobility! Tickets on sale now and at the performance!"

"The Amazing Wyrm, ladies and gentlemen! I am here..." He looked back at the message in the snow. "...For the foreseeable future..."

Edited by Wyrmhero

...Why is it that everyone talks about PM safety and then doesn't practice it? The number of roleclaims in this game are too storming high! I've had two already! :angry:

(Even if they totally claimed the role of Troll... :ph34r:)

Is there any reason we shouldn't be starting things off with a lynch discussion today? May be a Night Turn, but that's no reason to skip discussion, even on the first day. There may not be anything to really say right now, but that's how first Turns go anyway. The more we talk, the more chance the Eliminators let something slip, so why not start now?

Because I'm tired, Chief. And these things take effort. And I'm lazy. And I want sleep. And to finish SPCing. :P Go find someone else, or start the ball rolling...

Why is there loads of blue?

Edit: I'm starting PMs with people that post. Only those who post.

Because Wyrm, Hreo and myself belong to the batch of players who were playing when blue wasn't codified as the OOG colour but rather as the OOC colour. I'd say the use of blue is actually still ambiguous: players like Maili use it OOG, but some of us prefer to use it to denote anything we're stating OOC, i.e. that isn't RPed, hence the copious use of it.

I admit, I've more or less fallen off the wagon on occasion because it's a godawful pain in the pula to keep remembering to code blue, but my impulse is still to blue anything that isn't RP.

#PSAKas out

Originally, blue text meant out-of-RP or game-related discussion. If you look at some of the earlier games of Sanderson Elimination, you might notice that a large majority of the posts are written in blue text. This rule has somewhat been loosened up, and now black text is acceptable for in-game discussion (although it technically has always been so, it was just that blue text made things more distinguishable). Some players (generally the "older" ones) still adhere to that rule.

Ahh, blue-text. Brings back memories.

Unknown stood, looking down at the village from his vantage. It was a depressing sight really. But, nothing rarely was cheerful, was it? As he looked solemnly down at the village, he could see only a few distinguishing features, the rest being covered by the ever-swirling mists. Unknown hadn't found a roof to live under ever since he woke up, and so he had made one of his own. Fortunately for him, hi home gave him a good view of the entire village. This will certainly prove useful. He thought to himself.

Edited by Mark IV

Okay, I'll address this now and get back to the myriad of other clarifications later, but about Blue Text:

Both Kas and Jain are correct about how it has been used and about how it is being used now to a degree, but I'll clarify for everyone, even if some of it is stated in the OP of the General Rules. 

Blue text is specifically for stuff that is NOT CONNECTED TO THE GAME. These are Real Life situations and things that don't have any pertinence on the game. For example: If you got a copy of Bands of Mourning early and you had to share it, that would be blue text material.

The purpose of the blue text is for Non-Game related information that you absolutely can not lie about. I use this as an example often, but I don't want to worry whether or not someone is trying to manipulate my emotions when they tell me that some tragedy struck them just to get an edge on the game. I want to be able to give the person the support and comfort that they deserve for going through something horrible like that. 

Do Not Lie When Speaking In Blue Text. And also, do not use blue text to talk about game related material; even if it is out of character.

I don't think that anyone who has used it such far was using it for the purposes of confusing the two, but that's why I'm clarifying. 

Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love the RP. I think that the games have lost a lot of their flair as we've moved away from the RP aspect. I think it's even influenced the meta in the fact that players used to want to keep their characters alive because they were great characters and it's now moved on to people trying to survive just because. I wish more people would RP and just have fun with the characters they create. After all, you came up with a character. And now you're just willing to let it die?

The entire game used to be played in character, which is how the confusion came about in the first place. 

But the blue text was never meant to be for in-game discussion.

So hopefully this clears things up to a degree. If anyone has any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them. 

Fixed that. I was just using it to differentiate between RP and actual discussion.

And cheers, Kas, for a vote. Even if it is for this guy called 'Chief', whoever that is >>. I must say, I'm rather sad that you've got claims and I haven't. Do people not trust me or something? :(

Clara woke up, her head aching.

"Sorry milady. Didn't mean to wake you," a kind voice said.

As her eyes opened, she recognized the face of Riew, the only person in the town who actually gave her the respect she deserved.

"What happened?"

"Some absolute scourge tried to kill you, I think. At the very least, your horse and your servant."

Clara gasped as she fainted, returning to the realm of the unconscious.

Night fell on the horrible events of that had come to pass in Tyrian Fall during the daylit hours. In right corner of the apothecary's uppermost floor, a single candle burned.

Kassien was not, however, in the study.

He'd made brisk business today, after the bloodied messages in the snow. Many of the townsfolk had come calling, asking him to prescribe something for nerves. He'd let El handle some of the mixing: it was a simple proportion of mint to mallowsweet, and a touch of yures berries for liveliness.

The cellar of the apothecary was freezing, he thought, with a shiver, but this was where the bulk of the herbs were stored. Freshness was important; many herbs had to be consumed fresh, although some herbs retained their properties when well-dried and stored in an airy place. He'd spent much of his apprenticeship learning what kind of herbs demanded what sort of treatment, as well as what they were good for.

Among other things: astronomy, physicking, navigation, logic...

He smiled, faintly. Darine had been a demanding master, but over the years, Kassien had come to see much of Darine's sternness as arising from her drive for perfection. And Kassien had, in the end, met those demands and surpassed them, hadn't he?

Even if he'd disagreed with some of Darine's pedagogy. Eren, at least, had taught him that much. And so the master learned from the apprentice.

The messages in the snow meant that some in the village were colluding with the koloss. He was certain of it. There had been a reference, too...

He sighed, gave up on the stock-taking for the day, and bore the candle up, back to the study, where the candle he'd left burning--careless!--had all but burned down to the barest stub. He blew it out, and replaced it with the candle he carried. He went over to the shelves of books. Over the years, he'd accumulated an eclectic collection; books on all sorts of things, and while the books of clear use to an apothecary were well-marked, he'd still neatly filed the other types of books away by category.

Neatness, Kassien thought, order--that was important.

Eventually, he found it, and flipped--the book almost seeming to fall open of its own accord--to the page he wanted.

Patient presents with no serious injury, Alcius had written. For all many contemporary writers considered Alcius to have gone somewhat mad and therefore unreliable in his final years, the truth, as Darine had reminded him, remained that Alcius had made significant contributions to the practice of modern physicking and his treatise examining and gathering folklore and standard practice on the properties of herbs throughout the Final Empire was still a seminal text.

This case, though, had been written by late Alcius. Some apothecaries considered Alcius to have been in decline by then.

Did he know? Kassien wondered. Had he seen the seeds of madness even then?

Examination of his pupils indicates no use of wraithglove; --for wraithglove induced paranoia, and even hallucinations--and his pulse is quite steady. Slight flush in the cheeks, but no indication of alcohol consumption. Cognition is otherwise unimpaired.

And then: the damning lines:

A month before, the patient had survived a brawl with several men, among them a Thug. He made a remarkable recovery for someone so badly injured, by all reports. The records from the physician who attended to him suggested that a fragment of steel might've been embedded too deeply in the bone to be removed, & in any case is not causing him any difficulty.

Below: in a much more jagged and shaky hand, reproduced faithfully in this copy of Alcius:

HE SPEAKS.

THOSE PIERCED BY METAL CAN HEAR HIM.

HE IS GOD AND YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HERE.

CAN YOU HEAR HIM CAN YOU HEAR HIM CAN YOU HEAR HIM GOING TO DIE GOING TO DIE GOING TO DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

Kassien frowned down at those words, for a very long time. Eventually, Alcius had been found, still babbling to himself, an entire rod of steel pounded through his brain with surprising strength.

Those words, though. They had remained with him, even as Darine discussed Alcius's work on injuries to the mind.

He thought again of the blood in the snow and shivered. Were there men, even now, moving through Tyrian Falls, with metal pounded through their bodies? Absurd, Kassien told himself. Alcius's claim had been thoroughly disproved over the years; there was no indication that piercings did anything, and metal piercings could not be affected by Allomancy. The Inquisitors were hardly any model of stable, healthy human beings, but then, he wasn't even sure if they were human in the first place.

And yet...

Spies, he told himself. There were spies in the village. But what did they gain from working with the koloss? Koloss could not be reasoned with; especially when they went on a rampage.

He worried at the thought like a loose tooth for the rest of the night, but try as he might, he could not find any answers.

Edited by Kasimir

I'm going to apologise in advance with regards to RP - as many of you may know, I am completely awful at it, and so probably won't be writing any!

I'm going to second Wyrm's point on holding a lynch discussion today, even though it is a night cycle - it doubles the exposure that inactives and the eliminators receive, which can only be a good thing.

Adavantos, you've been unusually quiet?

Remarkably quiet. About this time last game, we were all fussing over Eol's gambit.

I think that at least some discussion should happen today. One of us will now than likely be gone by next cycle.

On the subject of action use - Coinshots should not kill randomly. If you have suspicions, by all means follow them, but make your kills useful to the Village. We don't want to lose our Seeker or a Mistborn or a Tineye to a random kill. Lurchers should probably protect themselves this cycle, unless you really think that you can predict the Spiked target. Smokers should not use their ability for a while. The Spiked have much more to fear from a Seeker than we do. It would be nice if the Seeker could be sure that any smoked target they Seek is evil.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd beg to differ on two counts. Rather than just killing inactives, one other way to utilise our Coinshots is to use the night votes as an indication of who we're suspicious of--effectively turning the night votes into a secondary lynch. Sure, the Coinshots can always choose to kill someone else, but this way, even the possibility of a follow-up during the day or a Coinshot kill (effectively a secondary lynch) would add more teeth to the night vote/suspicions. (As I've mentioned before, I think without a threat of death, discussions don't tend to be effective because people don't have incentives to reply. Or, at least, not as strong incentives. And the element of pressure tends to draw things out that the absence of such pressues, e.g. absence of threat of death does not.

Second, Seonid, I think you're missing the lessons from the AG (in which you were the Eliminator.) We had lots of Smokers that game because we had lots of Emotional Allomancers. Smokers can shield people from having their votes manipulated; I don't think it's immediately obvious that they should value being scanned (do we even have a Village Seeker? And what if we have a Spiked Seeker? Spiked Seekers would want to be finding key roles for precision strikes) over ensuring that their vote can't be jacked for counter-Village purposes. As Meta said in that game, it's a trade-off, and it's one he wants us to be sober about making.

Right, back to work.