Combat Feruchemy

EdroGrimshell

We have a WoB that Zinc doesn't increase reaction time, only thought processes. Whilst it seems contradictory, I still believe Zinc has a huge role to play when it comes to strategising, as most people aren't used to thinking under such mental and physical duress.

The one I really love to think about though is Iron. Imagine storing when taking hits, dodging and weaving and maneuvering, and then suddenly tapping to throw a punch before dialling it down. F=MA, as good old Newton said, and reducing the force from the opponent whilst speeding you up and increasing the weight of your own blows whilst also increasing your strength in proportion is so incredible underrated.

Honestly, while I myself would prefer being a Subsumer (Feruchemical bendalloy) and a Pewterarm, I'm fascinated by Iron. It seems so boring at first, but it can be just as powerful as its bigger brother, Steel (which still seems to get the better of the two for both Feruchemy and Allomancy).

I'm not sure if iron would actually be that useful in combat, although to be fair the books kind of contradict each other on this. In Hero of Ages Sazed does something similair as you propose by adding to the momentum of a hammer blow. Then again that could have worked if he he just let himself fall on the hammer, I'd have to reread the scene. :ph34r:

Later when Wax uses it

he makes it clear that he only gets a strenght increase to handling his own weight and not actually gets stronger (nor does he get more dense even though Brandon himself said it increases mass so... yeah) and it conserves momentum, meaning that a tapping iron when punching should slow your fist down proportionally to the weight increase.

I still say Brandon has his terminology wrong, and Iron affects weight, not mass.

Honestly, I prefer inertia. Has the best of both worlds without being misleading like both can be.

And Edgedancer, I'm aware (and was extremely delighted when Wax noted the conservation of momentum) of the physics, but I don't think Feruchemical iron's shortcomings are big enough. Like I said, F=MA. A heavy fist moving at 10m/s imparts a lot more force than a lighter fist. In reverse, you'd simply be shifted if you were to be hit whilst lighter, like an ant you flick away (this is due to the square/cube law I believe), or if they're throwing you around, then you can increase weight at any time. 

I just feel Feruchemical iron's so underrated, and as you mentioned, with the fact its observes conversation of momentum, it can add a whole lot of fun 

I still say Brandon has his terminology wrong, and Iron affects weight, not mass.

I doubt it, he's pretty good on science and consults a bunch of people on it. I think it's not quite mass as we usually understand it but that's the closest to it.

Something that our origonal poster touched on...that I haven't seen elaborated on yet...is just how useful feruchemy can be for combat training.  

High altitude or restricted oxygen training is a great way to improve your cardiovascular health.  Your body gets used to operating with less oxygen...so when you're in a more oxygen rich environment...everything seems much easier to do.  You could theoretically use cadmuim in this capacity.  By always storing a little bit of breath while, running, sparring, etc...your body would get use to functioning well with less oxygen.  Then, when actually in combat, you would have a massive store of breath...which your body would use more effeciently due to being adapted to low oxygen.

I don't know if this would work for iron or not...but assuming it would...you could constantly go around weighing a little more than you should.  Your muscles would learn to function normally under the added strain.  Then, when you needed to, not only could you stop tapping weight, but you could pull a wax, and store a little bit of weight.  Your muscles would be used to moving normally under added strain, simply weighing what you normally should would feel amazingly easy. 

Again...I'm not sure if this would work or not...but...you could potentially use gold in a similar way.  We see that when someone is storing health...their immune system is compromised and they are more likley to get sick.  You could use this to contract sicknesses under controlled circumstances, stop storing health in order to make a speedy recovery, and presto...you've got some brand new antibodies.

I'd be curious to see how this idea would apply to storing strength.  After all, when storing strength, you're actually losing muscle mass.  If you were to work out every day while storing strength...what would be the outcome?

Another idea that I like, is just how well bendalloy, cadmium, gold, and tin would work in concert.  With a perfect supply of oxygen, hydration, and nutrition, coupled with the ability to quickly heal muscle fatigue, and the ability to ignore the physical discomfort of muscle fatigue by storing tactile sense, would create a soldier who can go through ridiculous amount of stress without ever feeling tired.

Something that our origonal poster touched on...that I haven't seen elaborated on yet...is just how useful feruchemy can be for combat training.  

High altitude or restricted oxygen training is a great way to improve your cardiovascular health.  Your body gets used to operating with less oxygen...so when you're in a more oxygen rich environment...everything seems much easier to do.  You could theoretically use cadmuim in this capacity.  By always storing a little bit of breath while, running, sparring, etc...your body would get use to functioning well with less oxygen.  Then, when actually in combat, you would have a massive store of breath...which your body would use more effeciently due to being adapted to low oxygen.

I don't know if this would work for iron or not...but assuming it would...you could constantly go around weighing a little more than you should.  Your muscles would learn to function normally under the added strain.  Then, when you needed to, not only could you stop tapping weight, but you could pull a wax, and store a little bit of weight.  Your muscles would be used to moving normally under added strain, simply weighing what you normally should would feel amazingly easy. 

Again...I'm not sure if this would work or not...but...you could potentially use gold in a similar way.  We see that when someone is storing health...their immune system is compromised and they are more likley to get sick.  You could use this to contract sicknesses under controlled circumstances, stop storing health in order to make a speedy recovery, and presto...you've got some brand new antibodies.

I'd be curious to see how this idea would apply to storing strength.  After all, when storing strength, you're actually losing muscle mass.  If you were to work out every day while storing strength...what would be the outcome?

Another idea that I like, is just how well bendalloy, cadmium, gold, and tin would work in concert.  With a perfect supply of oxygen, hydration, and nutrition, coupled with the ability to quickly heal muscle fatigue, and the ability to ignore the physical discomfort of muscle fatigue by storing tactile sense, would create a soldier who can go through ridiculous amount of stress without ever feeling tired.

Yea, that was a big thing I noticed as well, no one ever seems to use Feruchemy to train themselves up. It would make for a perfect method of training a soldier up, and yet, they don't do it. Although I will admit that in Era 2 that's pretty difficult to pull off since full feruchemists seem to be unheard of (though still technically possible with a pure enough bloodline). Of course, even a single feruchemical power can be a great boon to the average soldier. The thing is, feruchemy seems to be largely underutilized or used in a way that doesn't work well for a proper soldier, everything being compounded on itself to give great benefit all at once, but losing out on time. You'd think such a conservative people would be better with a magic system that epitomizes the idea of resource management.

Tapping steel makes you the Flash. Tapping Zinc makes you Sherlock Holmes.

Indeed, I know the arguement there, and agree with it. I don't agree with what MistLord said about Zinc not improving reaction time, since as WoB states...

Alterodent: With zinc, you get mental speed. How is that any different from steel, except without [physical] speed?

A: I think of the mental speed actually turning you into... Let's say you sped up your body, and you wanted to figure out some really complex equations.

Q: So it lets you have intuitive leaps.

A: Right. It basically turns you into Ken Jennings. That's how I imagine it.

Kurk: So it's not like bullet time?

A: No... It'll bullet time a little bit, it certainly will, because you're thinking faster than everyone else, but it has applications beyond bullet timing. Bullet time is really-

Kurk: That’s steel’s thing?

A: That’s kind of steel's thing. They overlap on that one, because the steel thing... But yeah. It's more like "I think fast, but my reaction speed is not sped up".

...it'll still bullet time ya.

I was simply stating that you do react faster because everything is slower except your mind, you're still just as fast as everyone else (meaning you seem slower to your own mind), but you still can react faster to external stimuli because your brain processes them faster (the speed of light is a constant, so you see things near instantly, meaning you have more time to process the information and react to it when tapping zinc). This is the basis of my arguement for the way Zinc works as I described it in the OP, you react faster to the information you're given, you don't move faster, but you do react faster, because reaction time has nothing to do with speed, per se, it has everything to do with how fast you process the information you're picking up.

So, I've decided to extend this a bit by including the 16 Feruchemical Traits I thought up for the fun of it when I first joined the site. Most of the metals themselves are more mental in nature, rather than physical like standard feruchemy, making them quite a bit less useful in a fight, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. And here's the result (note: No metals are assigned to the abilities, so there will be no references to metals).

First on the list is Mental Stability, the ability to not panic in extreme situations. Good for cutting down on PTSD and not getting caught up in the frenzy of battle. With this, you can keep a level head while in a fight and plan a strategy without dealing with the chaos of battle. This one is more useful in training where you are pushed, mentally and physically, to your limit.

Next up, Instinct. Being able to rely on your instincts in a fight is key, especially if you get a hunch on how strong your opponent is compared to you. Use it deeply at the start of a one on one fight to get a measure of your opponent or in a multi-person fight to help decide where you'd be best suited to go and shift to a shallow tap so you can get that gut reaction of "I need to get out of here" if it comes up, or just not use it at all if you have the ability developed enough normally. The early read can be a life saver, regardless, as it can keep you from underestimating or overestimating your opponent, at least partially. This can also enhance your instincts in regards to how to react to certain situations, like a danger sense to let you know when your opponent's about to pulls something that could hurt you.

One of the more useless ones for a fight is Language. Great for scholars, not so much for a fight. However, in a wartime scenario, this is actually decent for spies, as it'd let them comprehend coded documents or similar. While not combat feruchemy, it is still something to bring up after thinking on it for a time.

Now we get to the big one, the ability to store and tap Skill. Store your ability to fight when not in a fight, leave it alone while training or sparring, and tap it against more skilled opponents to patch the weakness. This becomes far more drastic the more skilled you already are in a particular area, meaning the more seasoned a combatant you are, the more potent tapping the skill becomes. On another note, you can store up your skill at managing your metalminds' reserves, which can be quite handy for maximizing your potential. And, as before, the more skilled at it you already are, the greater the results.

And now, Inspiration, or creative thinking, as it were. This one, while largely scholarly or artistic, can be good for having moments of inspired combat tactics that can win you a battle if handled right. This is actually a good one to tap deeply, along with zinc, before a battle to come up with a proper battle strategy, making it great for strategists and generals more so than soldiers. But even in a normal fight, it can be great for coming up with a unique solution to the opponent you're fighting against.

Another of the big ones, Acumen is one's ability to learn and process information. This includes Muscle Memory, which can greatly enhance the benefits of training before a fight even starts. Same with tactics and other useful applications that can turn you into Sherlock Holmes. Great when combined with Zinc. This can even help a soldier learn in an extremely short amount of time by tapping deeply.

And the first one that is good both for storing and tapping, Emotion. Store up fear while tapping rage to become a berserker or store rage and tap calm to think logically through a fight. The possibilities here are extremely high. However, this is one of the few traits that can very easily backfire. Storing fear can impede the fight or flight response, making you prone to staying in a fight long after you should have fled. Counteracting this is the fact that you can convert the stored emotions into Investiture for Nicrosil, making this still a very valuable trait to store up.

Presence is sort of like what I've seen many people reference Duralumin as, and is good both for tapping and storing. Storing it allows you to seem unimportant to your opponent, they'll underestimate you or ignore you completely, allowing you to come up and surprise them. Tapping, however, allows you to draw aggro, making your allies seem less important than you are, and, if you're the biggest threat there, this can save a lot of lives, as well as give them a chance to counter the drawn aggro. Alternatively, the presence you had can be transferred over to Nicrosil to be used elsewhere.

And now for Awareness. Like storing a large amount of breath in Warbreaker, this one lets you be aware of people's positions around you, sensing their location. This also applies to things around you as well, however, letting you navigate your battlefield with increased ease and use that to possibly position your opponent into an unfavorable condition that can make it easier to win. This is also great for a general or someone coordinating the fight because they can get a better scope of the battle and deploy troops better in larger scale battles.

Clarity is a lot like flaring tin, without the increased senses, clearing the head and allowing for a faster recovering from blows to the head or to ignore exhaustion's effect on the mind. While not as useful as other traits, this can replace the effects of tapping Tin to clear your head, which involves intentionally tapping your sense of touch to flare your pains, thus allowing you to convert touch into raw investiture and use Clarity instead.

Now we come to Light, one of the more interesting ones. Since tapping sight is very different for a feruchemist, being more like telescopic vision, this has the effect of mimicking the effects of burning tin, allowing you to see better in dark conditions. Which can be a great advantage if it is late or if you are out in the mists. Storing can also be used in the day, if the sun is at your opponent's back, you can store light to mitigate the glare and keep from being blinded by the light.

Another good one for combat, as well as one of the few physical ones in this set, Durability. While a light tap can mimic the effects of allomantic pewter, keeping bones from breaking from falls and allowing one to stay on their feet longer, a deep tap, briefly flared out, can be used to stop a wound from ever taking hold. This is especially true with blunt force trauma. Combined with gold, this can make you a juggernaut on the battlefield.

And now Coordination. You really don't want to trip in the middle of a fight, and Coordination improves your balance, not just your sense of balance as Tin can do. This can also help to deflect attacks using a weapon by using very fine movements, refining an existing base to a higher level for a time. Combine with Skill and a little Speed or Mental Speed, and this can be quite useful.

Next up is an odd one for a fight, Flexibility. Useful in its own right, flexibility can help in dodging, as well as allowing you to surprise your opponent with odd or unexpected angles to your own attacks. It can also make grappling easier as you won't be as discomforted in awkward positions and can put your opponent into even more uncomfortable positions than what they could put you in.

And now, the most useless of the feruchemical traits for combat, Beauty. It's main use is to be stored and converted into Investiture for Nicrosil. I don't doubt that some might try to store a lot of it at once to try and startle with how ugly they'd end up, or tap deeply to stun with unnatural beauty, but it's likely to only work once and is very unlikely to be effective against experienced opponents. Regardless, I think this is one of the more useless traits for straight up combat.

And finally, one of my favorites, Voice. While this might not seem very combat oriented, this can be a heavy damage dealer. Sound can be dangerous, and tapping voice deeply enough can make your screams deafening, if not incredibly painful. With a large enough reserve, it may even be possible to cause severe damage with the reverberations of your voice, just be sure no allies are around when you try this though, because even if the sound doesn't go straight towards them, it can still deafen or harm their hearing.

And there you have it. This was mainly just for the fun of it, as was the original post, but I figured I'd put it out here anyway to see what everyone things. Also nets some additional support for my original project by simply giving a bit more of a description for it.

ok...

by simultaneously tapping weight and strength you could throw small objects like cannonballs.

combining tapping physical and mental speed alone would let you beat anyone in a "fair" fight...

using gold to...not die...when your opponent thinks that you should...is a huge advantage...

you remember your pre-mission briefing perfectly...

you don't need to eat, drink, stay warm, sleep, or breath like everyone else.

you're a lucky SOB in a fight...but bad at cards...

you can give your friends super powers.

Allies are inspired by you...enemies ignore you.

You are both too old and too young for this  "$h&?"

...hhhmmm...you can punch people really hard?

You can determine your opponent's next move by a shift in the eyes (zinc and maybe tin). You could--using zinc and copper--analyze the fighting style of your opponent, allowing you to know your opponent's next move, maybe even before they do. Basically, you can get a rough equivalent of atium Allomancy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't think this may work, jump isn't really relate to mass. But you may instead exploit the conservation of energy to jump highter. You just need to switch the actions:

1) you jump

2) you store a lot of weight in the moment your feet don't touch the floor

With the conservation of energy you gain speed while you lose mass and this mean that in the end you can go further before the gravity fully stop you.

But it's hard to understand how much further and at the moment I am to lazy to do the math ^_^

On the topic of Feruchemical Duraluminium, don't Soulstamps work using connection? Because in that case, you could achieve something similar to Shai's fighter Essence Mark, although this would require lots of training, I don't think you can change your Connection so precisely so easily.

Edit: Used the correct metal, thanks @Shadeshadow227

Edited by kenod

16 minutes ago, kenod said:

On the topic of Feruchemical bendalloy, don't Soulstamps work using connection? Because in that case, you could achieve something similar to Shai's fighter Essence Mark, although this would require lots of training, I don't think you can change your Connection so precisely so easily.

Maybe it's beyond the Feruchemy's Possibility. But I am quite sure you may use Feruchemical bendalloy to make easier to be Forged.

11 hours ago, kenod said:

On the topic of Feruchemical bendalloy, don't Soulstamps work using connection? Because in that case, you could achieve something similar to Shai's fighter Essence Mark, although this would require lots of training, I don't think you can change your Connection so precisely so easily.

Duralumin changes Connection. Bendalloy is Nutrition.

And you may be able to change your connection. In my opinion, tapping connection...you have to direct the Investiture. It's CONNECTION, so you have to form a connection with something using it. For example, you could store Connection to someone you don't like, and then the Connection is there in your Duraluminmind, waiting to be connected to something...like a place, or another person. Given that Connection itself is a versatile attribute, as there are spiritual connections everywhere, I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to tap connection to events, like time in the military or time spent training, to immediately gain instinctive knowledge on things like how to fire a gun, or a certain fighting style. I may be wrong, but I think that this is possible.

35 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

And you may be able to change your connection. In my opinion, tapping connection...you have to direct the Investiture. It's CONNECTION, so you have to form a connection with something using it. For example, you could store Connection to someone you don't like, and then the Connection is there in your Duraluminmind, waiting to be connected to something...like a place, or another person. Given that Connection itself is a versatile attribute, as there are spiritual connections everywhere, I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to tap connection to events, like time in the military or time spent training, to immediately gain instinctive knowledge on things like how to fire a gun, or a certain fighting style. I may be wrong, but I think that this is possible.

I'm not sure if you can connect to experiences, but, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, a soldier could store connection when there is no need to bond with anyone, and then tap it later to become friendlier with other soldiers, which would help with improving teamwork.

Also, what you said about storing connection to someone you don't like gave me another idea: could you selectively store connection, so everyone except for one person wouldn't have reduced friendship with you, and consciously direct your connection when tapping to connect with only one person? Not exactly combat-related, but still.

Edited by Turbonator
Another idea

34 minutes ago, Turbonator said:

and then tap it later to become friendlier with other soldiers, which would help with improving teamwork.

Now it made me wonder whether a whole team composed of Connectors heavily tapping would create something similar to hive mind? Not really telepathy, but they would have perfect cooperation.

2 hours ago, Turbonator said:

Also, what you said about storing connection to someone you don't like gave me another idea: could you selectively store connection, so everyone except for one person wouldn't have reduced friendship with you, and consciously direct your connection when tapping to connect with only one person? Not exactly combat-related, but still.

It's CONNECTION. Of course you could selectively store and tap. It would make sense. I tend to think of spiritual connection as "threads" connecting things together. Feruchemically storing involves cutting the thread connecting you to a person, place, or thing. Tapping involves taking that thread and using it to connect yourself to something else. Thus, powers attributed to F-Duralumin, like reduced ability of people to notice you, ability to form relationships quickly, and the ability to speak foreign languages and adopt the accent and mannerisms of people native to the area you're in by tapping connection to tie yourself to a place, make sense.

...wait...oh my god...I just realized. How amazing would a Duralumin Compounding spy be? 

35 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

It's CONNECTION. Of course you could selectively store and tap. It would make sense. I tend to think of spiritual connection as "threads" connecting things together. Feruchemically storing involves cutting the thread connecting you to a person, place, or thing. Tapping involves taking that thread and using it to connect yourself to something else. Thus, powers attributed to F-Duralumin, like reduced ability of people to notice you, ability to form relationships quickly, and the ability to speak foreign languages and adopt the accent and mannerisms of people native to the area you're in by tapping connection to tie yourself to a place, make sense.

To use your analogy, what I meant was that a Connecter could store only one of those "threads," kind of like how a Brute could, with practice, store strength from only an arm, for example.

Also, we know a gold Ferring can't heal faster from a wound if he stores while injured and then taps all of that (though I don't know why he wouldn't have some reserves before getting injured). However, what if he stored from his entire body (assuming he doesn't bleed out while storing), and then tapped health only in the area of the wound? I can't really think of a situation where this would apply, but maybe Bloodmakers could economize with health by tapping only in the injured area.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, if I am breaking a rule about thread revival, then I apologize.

On 1/7/2016 at 0:18 AM, EdroGrimshell said:

So, I've decided to extend this a bit by including the 16 Feruchemical Traits I thought up for the fun of it when I first joined the site. Most of the metals themselves are more mental in nature, rather than physical like standard feruchemy, making them quite a bit less useful in a fight, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. And here's the result (note: No metals are assigned to the abilities, so there will be no references to metals).

I like a lot of these ideas. For the purpose of this thread, I wanted to reason how these could be done in standard canon.

First on the list is Mental Stability, the ability to not panic in extreme situations. Good for cutting down on PTSD and not getting caught up in the frenzy of battle. With this, you can keep a level head while in a fight and plan a strategy without dealing with the chaos of battle. This one is more useful in training where you are pushed, mentally and physically, to your limit.

Strongly tapping F-Aluminum can resist emotional manipulation, so these ideas may be valid within the realms of standard Feruchemy.

Next up, Instinct. Being able to rely on your instincts in a fight is key, especially if you get a hunch on how strong your opponent is compared to you. Use it deeply at the start of a one on one fight to get a measure of your opponent or in a multi-person fight to help decide where you'd be best suited to go and shift to a shallow tap so you can get that gut reaction of "I need to get out of here" if it comes up, or just not use it at all if you have the ability developed enough normally. The early read can be a life saver, regardless, as it can keep you from underestimating or overestimating your opponent, at least partially. This can also enhance your instincts in regards to how to react to certain situations, like a danger sense to let you know when your opponent's about to pulls something that could hurt you.

This... seems fairly unique, but training your instincts in any form, magical or otherwise, is a life-saver as you so plainly put it.

One of the more useless ones for a fight is Language. Great for scholars, not so much for a fight. However, in a wartime scenario, this is actually decent for spies, as it'd let them comprehend coded documents or similar. While not combat feruchemy, it is still something to bring up after thinking on it for a time.

I agree that language suits a spy more than a warrior, but as F-Duralumin's connection can help you blend in as well as possibly speak the language, this ability fits an assassin too.

Now we get to the big one, the ability to store and tap Skill. Store your ability to fight when not in a fight, leave it alone while training or sparring, and tap it against more skilled opponents to patch the weakness. This becomes far more drastic the more skilled you already are in a particular area, meaning the more seasoned a combatant you are, the more potent tapping the skill becomes. On another note, you can store up your skill at managing your metalminds' reserves, which can be quite handy for maximizing your potential. And, as before, the more skilled at it you already are, the greater the results.

This seems like a valid argument for any Feruchemical.. no, for any ability: Practice makes perfect.

And now, Inspiration, or creative thinking, as it were. This one, while largely scholarly or artistic, can be good for having moments of inspired combat tactics that can win you a battle if handled right. This is actually a good one to tap deeply, along with zinc, before a battle to come up with a proper battle strategy, making it great for strategists and generals more so than soldiers. But even in a normal fight, it can be great for coming up with a unique solution to the opponent you're fighting against.

As you mentioned, this is a good partner to F-Zinc.

Another of the big ones, Acumen is one's ability to learn and process information. This includes Muscle Memory, which can greatly enhance the benefits of training before a fight even starts. Same with tactics and other useful applications that can turn you into Sherlock Holmes. Great when combined with Zinc. This can even help a soldier learn in an extremely short amount of time by tapping deeply.

Not sure about muscle memory, but otherwise this seems like an ideal thing for F-Copper and F-Zinc.

And the first one that is good both for storing and tapping, Emotion. Store up fear while tapping rage to become a berserker or store rage and tap calm to think logically through a fight. The possibilities here are extremely high. However, this is one of the few traits that can very easily backfire. Storing fear can impede the fight or flight response, making you prone to staying in a fight long after you should have fled. Counteracting this is the fact that you can convert the stored emotions into Investiture for Nicrosil, making this still a very valuable trait to store up.

Multiple Tinminds are required to store different senses. I imagine that it would hold true for different emotions, and there are a lot of those. Otherwise, I like the concept. On second thought, F-Electrum stores determination.. less versatile, but the only parallel I can see.

Presence is sort of like what I've seen many people reference Duralumin as, and is good both for tapping and storing. Storing it allows you to seem unimportant to your opponent, they'll underestimate you or ignore you completely, allowing you to come up and surprise them. Tapping, however, allows you to draw aggro, making your allies seem less important than you are, and, if you're the biggest threat there, this can save a lot of lives, as well as give them a chance to counter the drawn aggro. Alternatively, the presence you had can be transferred over to Nicrosil to be used elsewhere.

Well, I can't say much beyond you pointing out the similarity to F-Duralumin.

And now for Awareness. Like storing a large amount of breath in Warbreaker, this one lets you be aware of people's positions around you, sensing their location. This also applies to things around you as well, however, letting you navigate your battlefield with increased ease and use that to possibly position your opponent into an unfavorable condition that can make it easier to win. This is also great for a general or someone coordinating the fight because they can get a better scope of the battle and deploy troops better in larger scale battles.

This feels like a combination of Life Sense and Inquisitor Sight, but without the obvious drawbacks.

Clarity is a lot like flaring tin, without the increased senses, clearing the head and allowing for a faster recovering from blows to the head or to ignore exhaustion's effect on the mind. While not as useful as other traits, this can replace the effects of tapping Tin to clear your head, which involves intentionally tapping your sense of touch to flare your pains, thus allowing you to convert touch into raw investiture and use Clarity instead.

I wonder, can the mental speed from F-Zinc help clear one's mind as well?

Now we come to Light, one of the more interesting ones. Since tapping sight is very different for a feruchemist, being more like telescopic vision, this has the effect of mimicking the effects of burning tin, allowing you to see better in dark conditions. Which can be a great advantage if it is late or if you are out in the mists. Storing can also be used in the day, if the sun is at your opponent's back, you can store light to mitigate the glare and keep from being blinded by the light.

I've got nothing to compare this with beyond what you've said already.

Another good one for combat, as well as one of the few physical ones in this set, Durability. While a light tap can mimic the effects of allomantic pewter, keeping bones from breaking from falls and allowing one to stay on their feet longer, a deep tap, briefly flared out, can be used to stop a wound from ever taking hold. This is especially true with blunt force trauma. Combined with gold, this can make you a juggernaut on the battlefield.

This sounds more akin to Miles and Gold Compounding, especially given his indifference towards using handheld dynamite.

And now Coordination. You really don't want to trip in the middle of a fight, and Coordination improves your balance, not just your sense of balance as Tin can do. This can also help to deflect attacks using a weapon by using very fine movements, refining an existing base to a higher level for a time. Combine with Skill and a little Speed or Mental Speed, and this can be quite useful.

Eureka! A use for stored luck :D Honestly, this seems like a less overpowered form of A-Atium. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for less OP stuff, I'm just noting the similarity.

Next up is an odd one for a fight, Flexibility. Useful in its own right, flexibility can help in dodging, as well as allowing you to surprise your opponent with odd or unexpected angles to your own attacks. It can also make grappling easier as you won't be as discomforted in awkward positions and can put your opponent into even more uncomfortable positions than what they could put you in.

I need more flexible angles to approach this one from. *Plays laugh-track*

And now, the most useless of the feruchemical traits for combat, Beauty. It's main use is to be stored and converted into Investiture for Nicrosil. I don't doubt that some might try to store a lot of it at once to try and startle with how ugly they'd end up, or tap deeply to stun with unnatural beauty, but it's likely to only work once and is very unlikely to be effective against experienced opponents. Regardless, I think this is one of the more useless traits for straight up combat.

Seductress using connection? I'm grasping at straws by this point.

And finally, one of my favorites, Voice. While this might not seem very combat oriented, this can be a heavy damage dealer. Sound can be dangerous, and tapping voice deeply enough can make your screams deafening, if not incredibly painful. With a large enough reserve, it may even be possible to cause severe damage with the reverberations of your voice, just be sure no allies are around when you try this though, because even if the sound doesn't go straight towards them, it can still deafen or harm their hearing.

Voice isn't a sense, it doesn't apply to connection.. um. . You may have found another one completely apart from standard Feruchemy.

And there you have it. This was mainly just for the fun of it, as was the original post, but I figured I'd put it out here anyway to see what everyone things. Also nets some additional support for my original project by simply giving a bit more of a description for it.

One last thing, don't feel like I'm calling you out. It just seemed like everybody ignored your post, so I thought that I could add to the discussion.

So that was an ordeal to type.

On 8/8/2016 at 5:48 PM, Turbonator said:

However, what if he stored from his entire body (assuming he doesn't bleed out while storing), and then tapped health only in the area of the wound? I can't really think of a situation where this would apply, but maybe Bloodmakers could economize with health by tapping only in the injured area.

While I don't know if that is doable at all, I can see it being used my a Feruchemical savant if such a thing exists. Practice brings improvement, does it not?