Combat Feruchemy

EdroGrimshell

Feruchemy has always been my favorite of the metallic arts, largely because I enjoy Resource Management games and the like, and that's exactly what Feruchemy is, resource management that you have very fine control over. That led me to thinking over the individual feruchemical powers and their combat applications and how they could best be used in combat, any aspect of it, including training.

This is especially true figuring that Keepers did not like to use their abilities for combat, preferring to hide their abilities so as to keep going, to endure rather than actually get a life going. This doesn't extend so much to ferrings in the AoL era, but I've seen very few of them, personally, and having read up to Shadows of Self I've gotten to see a good bit of the universe. Most overt combat uses of Feruchemy (not compounding or twinborn) was Sazed fighting the koloss, Wayne's healing, and Bleeder's use of Speed, which, IMO, are very wasteful and use up too much all at once (though Sazed's use was warranted). However, two of these examples are not really combat, or at least not overtly.

That in mind, I came up with ways to really make use of feruchemy for combat, with the idea that you'll be fighting frequently or for extended periods or won't have many chances to store it up (or just that you have something hard to store up to begin with). Now, some are obviously better for combat than others, such as strength or speed, but I will be covering all of them and how they can be used to improve combat abilities. Not necessarily actively improving your combat abilities in the moment.

Before that, I'm gonna say a few things that'll show up in my descriptions. I use the terms shallow and deep for tapping into traits, rather than saying you compound on the charge. A shallow tap is a fraction of a normal amount being drawn out (whatever that is) so you just have a little bit extra for the trait, it drags out the trait and makes it so a small reserve will last longer. Great for ring-based metalminds rather than bracers and other, bigger metalminds. A deep tap is what is thought of when you say compounding a charge, drawing on large amounts of a trait like bloodmaker's need to to heal quickly or like Sazed did against the koloss.

Let us start with Iron and the ability to store and tap weight. Now, I will say that this has some interesting applications, even outside of combat. If you can both store weight and strength, you can store both to make it so the loss of strength doesn't make you collapse under your own weight. By that right, Iron can be fairly useful for storing another trait. However, in combat, Iron serves another purpose. By storing it, you become lighter on your feet, as described by Wax, and put less strain on your body from your own weight. You can also make jumps that can carry you quite a ways. You can also tap it to increase momentum in a charge, break through a line, or store to increase your jumping ability, then tap to land with incredible force. While this is likely to injure you in the process, to a degree, it can cause a fair bit of damage to your opponent as well. On top of this, weight is easy to store up. That means you can have a good bit stored up or can convert it into Investiture for Nicrosil, assuming it works like it does in MAG anyway.

Next is Steel, one of the more obvious powers and the one that is clearly broken. However, this is balanced by the fact that speed is rusting difficult to store up, and that most tap into it very deeply to just blur away, which I find wasteful. Another way to do it is to tap it shallowly when you are outclassed or evenly matched, and even then only periodically, so that you can outpace them at a critical moment to get a victory. This is a lot like what Ham was trying to teach Vin about allomantic pewter, using it sparingly at the right time can be just as, if not more, effective than using it at a full burn (or a deep tap in this case). That said, if you really, truly need to take out a target right now, tapping deep can be just what you need. However, if you do that, plan the approach and exit beforehand so you can use as little as possible. This saves you the need to store up more of it later somewhat, which is a pain in the neck with how difficult it is to store up. You want to make a steelmind last if you can.

Tin, not exactly the most obvious choice, but, if you look at Spook in HoA, he pretty much becomes the Daredevil. While that is allomantic tin, you can achieve the same by tapping into hearing and touch, allowing you to feel minute changes in the air currents and hearing when something is coming at you, without the debilitating weakness to light. You can also enhance your sense of balance with it, while this won't directly improve your ability to keep your balance, it can make it so you don't lose your balance as easily to begin with, which can be a life saver. These are also fairly easy to store up and can be augmented with Nicrosil (again, assuming it works like it does in MAG). One issue, though, is that you'd have a learning curve to use this in that way, it's not instinctive.

And another inherently combat oriented one comes in the form of Pewter's ability to store strength. Surprisingly, a lot of what applies to steel and speed can be used for pewter. Tapping it shallowly is a good way to outmatch an otherwise equal opponent. It avoids the issues of the physical change, such as increased muscle mass hindering movement. The increase in size also makes you a bigger target, and unless you can heal well, this can be dangerous. On top of that, in an extended fight or war situation, you'll probably have armor of some kind, which can hinder your ability to use pewter somewhat. With all that in mind, showing restraint as you would with speed, to make yourself just good enough to best an opponent, is the way to go. Against vastly stronger foes, such as koloss, conservative goes out the window, but it still pays to be careful how much you tap.

Zinc. Obviously one of the more "scholarly" metals, right? Wrong. Zinc is a godsend for fighters. With zinc, you're essentially slowing the world down around you and allowing yourself to react to what your opponent is doing faster than they can react to you. While not quite on the level of allomantic atium, far from it actually, it does let you essentially predict what your opponent will do and just seem more skilled than you really are. Even just a shallow tap will make you seem more skilled in a fight and could actually make it easier to learn to fight.

Brass is an interesting one, because it's actually useful both ways. As the body works, it heats up, and if you have on armor in a fight, especially if you're under the sun, you can use brass to cool yourself off, which can prevent heat stroke or heat exhaustion, both killers in their own right. And tapping into it, especially deeply, can allow you to heat up something to burn as well as bludgeon, or to heat metal items to burn and stab. There are issues, of course, such as clothes burning off and residual heat in armor that you'd need to remove before you stop tapping or run out, otherwise you'd be in for a nasty (read: painful) surprise. Obviously, without large amounts stored and a lot of preparation, the storing aspect is the more useful.

Now we have one of the ones that is somewhat less useful, Copper. The ability to store memories for later. Quite obviously not very useful in a fight. Even learning to fight this isn't that good. But, it can help you learn tactics. By storing a memory, then relearning, and storing it again and doing this a few times, you can tap the memory several times, essentially embedding the lessons into your mind. It's too bad this doesn't work with Muscle Memory otherwise it'd be perfect for getting fighting down (or, at least, it'd let you see the results more easily :P ).

Next on the list is Bronze, storing wakefulness. Now this one is a little weird, but is very effective. Wakefulness is actually a lot more like restfulness, from what I've seen. And that makes me think it can be tapped to give you the same effect as having rested for a time, which reduces fatigue and refreshes the mind. Both of which can improve combat performance with even a shallow tap. And you really don't need more than a normal tap every now and then to get the benefit. However, this is not a perfect way to reduce fatigue. Rest often involves more than just taking a nap after all, but that's still a major advantage a feruchemist can take advantage of.

And one of the other less useful metals, Aluminum. The trueself or identity, this is an interesting one because it's largely dependant on your full identity, who you really are. If you're very definition is that of a warrior, then your identity will enhance that, but if you're not, it won't. A very simple statement and one that makes it difficult for this specifically to be used. I don't know how this one would be used otherwise, however.

Another one comes in the form of Duralumin, making both Aluminum and its alloy strangely combat devoid. Duralumin's ability to store and tap connection is difficult to use for direct combat ability. This is the only one that I can't find a way to really use it without delving into theories such as connecting to preservation to get/enhance allomantic abilities.

Okay, now this one is fun, Chromium for luck. Luck plays a large part in battle, to be completely honest. Fighting is chaos, and chaos breeds luck, both good and bad. So tapping good fortune from chromium can edge things in your favor. How this manifests is largely varied though. Just a shallow tap of luck can give you a massive edge that will last an entire extended battle.

Pure investiture from Nicrosil, assuming it works like it does in MAG, is a big one. And the one I'd carry in large quantities. Being able to tap nicrosil and another metal to double down on the benefits can be incredibly useful. And with Iron and Brass storing traits you don't really need to worry about tapping into much, you can fill it up fairly easily. Used to supplement other metals, this one can give a lot of benefit. Again, this only really applies if it works like it does in MAG.

And the last of the big ones, Gold and health. This one has the unfortunate problem of needing to be tapped deeply to have an immediately noticeable effect, but its effects can't be argued against with how we see Wayne using it. Supplement with Nicrosil so it won't drain as quickly and you don't need to store as much of it later.

And now Electrum and determination, never back down again, if you don't want to. Or get Rock Lee level determination and stand up to fight even when it should be physically impossible and while unconscious. But in all seriousness, determination is not as big a factor in a fight, it makes it so you'll push your limits and have a greater drive than your opponent, which can unnerve them at times.

Cadmium is my favorite one of the metals, I don't know why, but it is. The ability to store up and tap breath just seems fun to me and I love it. Now for the combat applications. Breath itself might not seem like much outside of letting you "breath" underwater and acting like an oxygen tank for a diver, but it can also oxygenate the blood, which increases physical performance and reduces fatigue. One of the three in pairing with Bronze and Bendalloy.

And the last one, Bendalloy lets you store caloric energy and hydration. Well, guess what gets used up in a fight? When you rest, you often drink or have a small snack to replenish your energy and cool off a little, this forgoes that and makes it instant, reducing fatigue further and giving you the energy needed to keep going a lot longer than your opponent. If you can avoid getting hit, this can give you the edge in just outlasting your opponent.

And that's my take on it. Thoughts?

Edited by EdroGrimshell

I call an A-pewter F-Electrum Twinborn the Immovable Object. A-Pewter and F-Steel for the unstoppable force.

In other news, I have thought of awesome ways to use Duralumin. Heavily store connection, and your opponent might not register you as an enemy. Then heavy tap it for him to want to be your friend, or something. Tapping is more useful in social situations.

Some nice applications, albeit a bit speculative at times. I noticed two problems though.

You can also tap it to increase momentum in a charge, break through a line, or store to increase your jumping ability, then tap to land with incredible force.

Iron does actually preserves the overall momentum (or at least does so in one book), so a "charge" would only work if you plan to kind of wall on your opponents, although Iron always has been... unspecific.

And Zinc apparently doesn't really give bullet time afterall.

[11:32]
Alterodent: With zinc, you get mental speed. How is that any different from steel, except without [physical] speed?
A: I think of the mental speed actually turning you into... Let's say you sped up your body, and you wanted to figure out some really complex equations.
Q: So it lets you have intuitive leaps.
A: Right. It basically turns you into Ken Jennings. That's how I imagine it.
Kurk: So it's not like bullet time?
A: No... It'll bullet time a little bit, it certainly will, because you're thinking faster than everyone else, but it has applications beyond bullet timing. Bullet time is really-
Kurk: That’s steel’s thing?
A: That’s kind of steel's thing. They overlap on that one, because the steel thing... But yeah. It's more like "I think fast, but my reaction speed is not sped up".

Got two for Duralumin: As a commander, tapping Connection during your Big Inspirational Speech with your soldiers can rally them to your cause. In the trenches, storing Connection can deaden your emotional response to killing, making you the unfeeling sociopath you've always wanted to be! Less hesitant to offing another human being in the moment and possibly able to avoid some long-term PTSD in the future.

In Polish the difference is done like this:
I am happy - "Jestem szczęśliwy" ("Jestem" - "I am", "szczęśliwy" is an adjective from happiness)
I am lucky  - "Mam szczęście" (I got/have luck - "Mam" - "I have", "szczęście" - noun happiness/luck)

But back on topic with Feruchemy: I think that while pewter and steel, or iron or tin are obvious uses in fights, since they boost your physical abilities, what truly shines is zinc. Why?
Well, there is a reason why martial arts have exercises focused entirely on repeating sequences of moves. It is done so when the time comes, you won't have time to think how to choose your next attack, example: You block a punch to the side of your head, what do you do next? If you have trained this situation, your body reacts on its own. If you would have tried to figure out what to do constantly, you would lose very fast, because your reactions would be too slow.
Then zinc kicks in: now you have time to properly assess your opponent's style of fighting, whether the coming attack is a feint or not, you have time to choose the best response. Combine zinc with decent training and you have a very capable fighter.
Kind of like RDJ Sherlock Holmes, but during the fight, all the time. Although you can try to mimic figuring out the fight before it begins, too.

Edited by Oversleep

I may have gotten another use of Duralumin, theoretically. It's a major bit of conjecture and one I don't know if it'd work or not with what we currently know or not.

Tapping Duralumin to connect to your Metalminds to increase your efficiency with tapping and storing them. Like I said, I don't know if this would work, but if it does, it'd allow you a good bit of extra power. Even a shallow tap for this purpose would effectively increase how much power you've got stored up.

We have a WoB that Zinc doesn't increase reaction time, only thought processes. Whilst it seems contradictory, I still believe Zinc has a huge role to play when it comes to strategising, as most people aren't used to thinking under such mental and physical duress.

The one I really love to think about though is Iron. Imagine storing when taking hits, dodging and weaving and maneuvering, and then suddenly tapping to throw a punch before dialling it down. F=MA, as good old Newton said, and reducing the force from the opponent whilst speeding you up and increasing the weight of your own blows whilst also increasing your strength in proportion is so incredible underrated.

Honestly, while I myself would prefer being a Subsumer (Feruchemical bendalloy) and a Pewterarm, I'm fascinated by Iron. It seems so boring at first, but it can be just as powerful as its bigger brother, Steel (which still seems to get the better of the two for both Feruchemy and Allomancy).