State of Sanderson 2015

Argent

I've got to say I wasn't all too excited about the White Sands graphic novel until these previews but now I am ecstatic. It is fun to see the book come to life. Honestly I don't know why the book was not published it may not be on par with SA but I think it is just as good as Warbreaker and Elantris. Of course this could just be my fanboy blinders talking. Regardless I like it and think its cool for a change. 

Excited about everything else. Particularly I am interested in the Elantris books mainly because of all his work that is my least favorite and I'm looking forward to seeing what he will do with this world now that his skill has developed so much more. The starcharts was something I did not think we would see for a looongg time but then again I think Brandon gets a kick out of the theory machine here and that is the perfect fuel for the machine. 

Part of me has been hoping Brandon would just decide to accidentally write Nightblood between some bigger projects but guess that is not going to happen.

Although I have absolutely no right at all to be upset about it  considering the "2 for" we already have been blessed with I am freaking out a little about the 2 year wait between BoM and TLM. Especially considering he is using that time to work on the much anticipated SA3. I just have the feeling BoM is going to end in a crazy cliffhanger thats going to grate on me for two years. Of course that is nothing of a wait in comparison to lesser authors but Brandon has spoiled us. That and man I am digging the Era 2 Mistborn books. It's kind of a teaser for the greatness to come for Mistborn. 

Really shouldn't complain about anything. Brandon is amazing and has so much in the pipeline to look forward to.

The starcharts was something I did not think we would see for a looongg time but then again I think Brandon gets a kick out of the theory machine here and that is the perfect fuel for the machine.

Suprise, the starchart will actually have certain locations listed only as RAFO. :ph34r: (I jest but some part of me fears that we will not get as much information out of this as we may hope.)

Part of me has been hoping Brandon would just decide to accidentally write Nightblood between some bigger projects but guess that is not going to happen.

Yeah. -_- If anything he might write Elantris 3 by accident.

Not necessarily. He could just come up with a bunch of names for worlds, and then put new stories on those worlds. Planet names are not that important. He could put Planet X on the map, and not develop a story for it until two decades down the line. Or never.

Not necessarily. He could just come up with a bunch of names for worlds, and then put new stories on those worlds. Planet names are not that important. He could put Planet X on the map, and not develop a story for it until two decades down the line. Or never.

Actually, that would be good. For all the benefits of a completed universe, it has the big disadvantage of being finite.

Eh. Once you have FTL, intragalactic distances are probably not a big deal anyway.

Um...

That highly depends on how fast your FTL is. It's totally possible to achieve FTL at a speed which makes it impractical to visit anything but the nearest stars without generation ships. (You have to reach enormous speeds before a trip accross even a dwarf galaxy like the Cosmere is not a significant thing- and you need to be going hundreds of times the speed of light at minimum to make interstellar trips a functional means of connecting worlds together) In Star Trek they have reasonably fast FTL but charting the rest of the galaxy is still a big issue for them, and they frequently find unfamiliar interstellar empires when visiting a new quarter of the galaxy.

If FTL is still relatively new to Scadrial during the Cosmere sequence, then it's likely they will have a limited range in a sphere around Scadrial until they start establishing colony worlds or outposts to refuel at.

Yep. Or he could create one at a certain point in the timeline of the Ars Arcana author, and have her mark out only planets she's visited. Especially if the "starchart" is actually a map of Cognitive travelways.

Edited by Ari

Depends on how FTL works. In my head, once you go FTL, you've gone instantaneous, not mucking around with 1.1c or some nonsense like that. Spacetime is your @#!$%. As for refueling, it would again depend on how it works. 

Eh, that doesn't strike me as something Brandon would do. As such an intensive outliner, it seems odd to me that he would just put down random planet names that he might never use. He wouldn't confirm the names of planets that he definitely knew were going to be places he writes about, I'd be surprised to see him give us names without having anything planned for these worlds. You never know, though.

I don't know if intergalactic even applies here. We don't know if there are other galaxies in the world.

I'm pretty sure that there are other galaxies, as shown in the original quote.

KARKAT VANTAS

Does the Physical Realm of the Cosmere have more or less the same structure as our own? It's obvious from Mistborn that solar systems function as they do in our universe, but it's less obvious if there are galaxies, clusters, superclusters, and so forth. Are there? If the Cosmere does have the same structure as our own, are the Shardworlds all in the same general area (a galaxy, for example), or are they completely spread out?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Good question. I designed the cosmere to have much the same structure, but imagined the action happening in a compact dwarf galaxy. Still a lot going on, but far, far fewer stars and systems than our own.

Source

"Much the same" means to me that there are other galaxies, as a universe without galaxies would not have much the same structure as our own.

Also, not a correction but a cool little factoid that you guys may not have seen.

The involved planets are actually in a rather small star cluster, much smaller than a dwarf galaxy. This star cluster is within a galaxy.

Source

I'm hoping the Elantris sequel will include some modifiers, maybe some Aon equations. And a complete list of what the Aons do would be awesome, but the only way I see us getting that is with a lot of WoBs.

I am hoping we get to see or atleast get a description of fjordell symbols used by the Dakhor. Would also love to find out some chay-san moves (if there even are specific moves).

There are like, three Aon images on the Aon coppermind page with actual squares on them that isn't just Aon Aon rotated 90 degrees four times with the flat sides lined up.

And Fjorden isn't even quite triangular on that map mountains-wise, so I'm not ready to believe that.

Edited by natc

And Fjorden isn't even quite triangular on that map mountains-wise, so I'm not ready to believe that.

And even if it was, Dakhor would be based on a fraction of Fjorden's massive empire (see also, the relative sizes of Arelon, Jindo, and MaiPon), so basing the search for Dakhor's base shape off of modern-day Fjorden would be invalid at best.  

We have direct confirmation on Scadrial. The whole planet was created by Ruin and Preservation. I can find the quote later today, if you want.

Late response but yeah that would be awesome whenever you have the time.

Sorry. I seem to be out of date on a lot of information. Interesting to know that the planet itself is wholly artificial.

Late response but yeah that would be awesome whenever you have the time.

Sorry. I seem to be out of date on a lot of information. Interesting to know that the planet itself is wholly artificial.

It's as artificial as the Earth, as claimed by the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Edited by Stormgate

• Chaos locked this topic