State of Sanderson 2015

Argent

All right, what do you think is the secret project he talked about working on this fall?

Cause I think he is writing a test of Dragonsteel.

He's not.  He mentions that it was a novella, Dragonsteel is significantly longer.  Not to mention he's said that he's not going to be working on it until after Stormlight 10.

He's not.  He mentions that it was a novella, Dragonsteel is significantly longer.  Not to mention he's said that he's not going to be working on it until after Stormlight 10.

I understood the same thing. Could it be the novella which goes into the space world he is working on for an epic space series?

I'm a bit sad that I have to wait around at least half a year between Alcatraz 5 and Stormlight 3... still, that's FTL in comparison with other writers.

As Cosmere Chart! Well, that's storming/rusting/coloring/signing exciting. But It's also interesting how they'll manage to draw it. The cosmere is three-dimensional, and it's typically difficult to picture threedimensional structures.

As Cosmere Chart! Well, that's storming/rusting/coloring/signing exciting. But It's also interesting how they'll manage to draw it. The cosmere is three-dimensional, and it's typically difficult to picture threedimensional structures.

Most galaxies are planar, it seems, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Yes, but planar only in a very rough approximation. If you want to have a chart of, say, the ten, or probably fifty-lightyears space around our system, there won't be much "plain". Same for cosmere, I think.

I read somewhere it's a dwarf galaxy, and therefore it's even less planar than a spiral galaxy. (Also, there is the possibility it's a elliptical glaxy, and therefore shaped like an egg or a potato, loosing almost all plainity)

White Sand graphic novel looks so great! It's even better than I expected! (Love the style and coloring. And yeah, white robes! Though Kenton seems a little older than I used to think ;P)

Elantris sequels are coming! I just felt so excited about them! I also wonder what they're going to call the whole series.(Elantris Trilogy or other things?) (But when it comes to Dragonsteel and Liar... Man that "looong way off" really is frustrating.)

That Cosmere star chart part made me freak out, too. I never really expect it will come out so early!

Edited by Botanica

Hmmm... I've had headcanon for a while that Yolen and another planet that we've been introduced to are actually the same. The star chart could go along way to confirming / destroying that theory.

Wait... Which other planet?  Scadrial and Roshar were both artificially created worlds, Nalthis' biosphere feels fake once you take a close look at it, Sel doesn't have anything remotely related to Hoid's magics.  Besides, none of those (nor, it should be said, any of the short story worlds we've seen) fit the criteria of being "where two lands meet," which we know by WoB to refer to two different ecologies competing for the same space (I believe it was in an annotation somewhere, I'll have to check the coppermind.  That or a response to "why's Dragonsteel taking so long?").  

Regarding White Sand, I must say I'm not grooving the random bolding, though I'm given to understand it's a "thing" with graphic novels.

It doesn't seem random, though, it seems to be drawing attention to it...might also affect how you read it in your head, too... I dunno.

Yeah, bold is basically the graphic novel version of italic.

Edited by EagleOfTheForestPath

Elantris sequels, Im happy, I really want to know more about the history and magic of Sel.

White Sand looks cool, I have not read it, but the magic system looks interesting, art looks good, cant say much other than that I look forward to it.

And Short Stories, now I can finally read Shadows for silence and Sixth of the dusk. And Star charts, Star charts are good.

Im mostly happy, though I am a little dissapointed Dark One, Silence Divine and Nightblood are so far away... oh well, we cant have everything.

Although, they use it much more frequently, which can sound kind of funny if you actually read it out loud and emphasize the bolded words.

The emphasis is supposed to be more subtle than with italics. In some cases, it's less about the way it should sound and more about isolating words to emphasize the concept or what have you.

It makes sense: a common complaint with fantasy is that there are all of these unfamiliar words, making it hard to follow the story. So if you do something like put "Kerztian" in bold, it sort of separates it from the rest of the sentence. People who have trouble dealing with unfamiliar words then realize that they do actually understand the sentence. It's a pretty neat trick to make your work more approachable for the uninitiated.

When Brandon is talking about Warbreaker he says characterS from Nalthis have been seen in other books. Plural. I can only think of the one that went to Roshar. Who am I missing? Unless we're counting Hoid or the Type IV Awakened object. Trying to avoid using spoilers.

Edited by mr_seatbelt

When Brandon is talking about Warbreaker he says characterS from Nalthis have been seen in other books. Plural. I can only think of the one that went to Roshar. Who am I missing? Unless we're counting Hoid or the Type IV Awakened object. Trying to avoid using spoilers.

Pretty sure he's counting the Type IV.

Wait... Which other planet?  Scadrial and Roshar were both artificially created worlds, Nalthis' biosphere feels fake once you take a close look at it, Sel doesn't have anything remotely related to Hoid's magics.  Besides, none of those (nor, it should be said, any of the short story worlds we've seen) fit the criteria of being "where two lands meet," which we know by WoB to refer to two different ecologies competing for the same space (I believe it was in an annotation somewhere, I'll have to check the coppermind.  That or a response to "why's Dragonsteel taking so long?").  

Well, it's quite likely the geography of Yolen has changed since the events of Dragonsteel. My current theory is First of the Sun, seeing as we only have the local name for it, not the Yolish name. I've also considered Threnody as a possibilty. (Yes, I know neither of those have any Shards, but he's never said that they never had shards in the past.)

It's hard to say, since we haven't seen a whole lot of either planet, but I think Threnody is the more likely of the two. It's more a gut feeling than anything, based on the little snippet of Yolish life we see in The Liar of Partinel sample chapters (which, sure, aren't canon, but I'd be surprised if every single thing about them got scrapped).

Then again, I think it is most likely that we haven't seen Yolen at all yet. My thinking is that the 17th Shard probably has some kind of home base, and their leader is a freaking dragon. We haven't seen anything resembling that on any of the other Shardworlds. Even the ones that do have crazy non-human creatures don't have anything like intelligent dragons. It seems most reasonable to me that they're still hanging out on Yolen, and we would know if we had seen it.

Now, I am well aware that there are a whole bunch of reasons that my idea could be wrong. Maybe Yolen is First of the Sun or Threnody, and Frost is hiding out somewhere. Heck, maybe he can shapeshift into a human--I don't know how Cosmere dragons work. Maybe the Shard doesn't have any kind of base, and they just communicate by sending letters back and forth through their network of worldhopping agents. Who knows? Looks like we'll find out in 15 or 20 years.

What. Is this some new revelation within the past month or so that I've missed out on?

No, no. In The Letter there is mentioned, that Roshar "bears Adonalsium's touch"; and on Scadrial Ruin and Preservation created mankind together, it's mentioned in Hero of Ages, I think.

No, no. In The Letter there is mentioned, that Roshar "bears Adonalsium's touch"; and on Scadrial Ruin and Preservation created mankind together, it's mentioned in Hero of Ages, I think.

Yeah I know that much. That is waaaay different than saying that Roshar and Scadrial are artificial planets.

Yeah I know that much. That is waaaay different than saying that Roshar and Scadrial are artificial planets.

Considering almost every native animal of Roshar needs spren-bonds, the entire world is shaped by a magical storm, the planet shouldn't support life because of its sun( it is too young, I think?), and its three moons were most likely artificialy placed, I don't see how Roshar can be natural.

Scadrial... That depends on how you interpretate Sazed when he says a rock is half-ruin and half-preservation. Plus, we know whatever Ruin and Preservation did was not the standard procedure for shards seeking to invest.

Edited by DreamEternal