A cool bit of info

Demandred

I went and saw Brandon at the Sandy signing today and got to ask him a couple questions. Just thought i would share this info with all of you :)

1. Could you make a Rosharan Nightblood? Invest something with another magic to make it sentient?

A: I got a RAFO card

2. Could Nightblood be powered by Stormlight?

A: Yes. It would take some juryrigging, but all of the magic systems are compatible. It is possible to fuel allomancy with breath (that's the example Brandon gave), or any of the other magics with other forms of investiture. Difficult, but possible.

This is very relevant and important.

So Demoux can burn stormlight instead of atium ?

That is the implication, as Stormlight is Investiture. But how would you set that up? Burning metals 'starts an Investiture' according to AoL, so you can't really just swallow a sphere... can you? How would you use Breath to power Allomancy? Is it Mistborn-only?

Edited by Moogle

That is the implication, as Stormlight is Investiture. But how would you set that up? Burning metals 'starts an Investiture' according to AoL, so you can't really just swallow a sphere... can you? How would you use Breath to power Allomancy? Is it Mistborn-only?

Brandon did not give any info as to how you would go about doing it, only that it was possible, and that it would require "juryrigging" as he put it.

Well, this is yet more evidence for another theory - that The Lord Ruler was using Feruchemical nicrosil to power his Allomancy. The kind of juryrigging going on there doesn't explain how you'd bridge Allomancy and Awakening, though! Allomancy and Feruchemy are naturally linked simply because you can burn metal. How do you determine what metal you can use when burning a Breath? Do you get them all, like Elend did with his own source of 'pure' Investiture? Can Elantrians use their thing with Stormlight and how does that work when it is established as the forms they draw forming gateways for the Dor to come through?

So many questions!

Edited by Moogle

If I remember correctly Allomancers need metals to access Investiture. If they 'swallow' Investiture itself, they should be able to convert it to their magic system. Demoux wouldn't need to swallow spheres, breathing in Stormlight would be enough.

If you use Breath to supply Allomantic powers, you would be able to use every single allomantic ability with it. Problem with Scadrial magic is that SDNA isn't enough to access investitures, you need metals as well but Breath is a Investiture as it is, so it should be possible to use every single Allomantic power using it(ones you've got). Feruchemy would be a lot more complicated in a way.

Edited by 213

Hopefully a Feruchemist would be able to just do their own thing without the need for outside Investiture. All their power comes from their selves, after all. I think all Hoid needs is some metalminds and he's set wherever.

If I remember correctly Allomancers need metals to access Investiture. If they 'swallow' Investiture itself, they should be able to convert it to their magic system. Demoux wouldn't need to swallow spheres, breathing in Stormlight would be enough.

How do you breathe in Stormlight, exactly? That seems to be the crux of the issue, here.

Hopefully a Feruchemist would be able to just do their own thing without the need for outside Investiture. All their power comes from their selves, after all. I think all Hoid needs is some metalminds and he's set wherever.

I agree. Hoid (and other Feruchemists) are very lucky. Their own system is ridiculously powerful, and if they can effectively power other systems by providing nicrosilminds to whoever, they're going to be in high demand and make a lot of money, as long as nicrosil costs less than the local Investiture, which should be the case with Breath at least, if not Stormlight.

It shouldn't be too hard to produce full nicrosil metalminds, either - you've got five senses to turn from tin -> nicrosil, breath, heat, two speeds, and strength...

Plus: free near-immortality through Feruchemical nicrosil -> Feruchemical atium, hopefully without any need for actual atium.

Edited by Moogle

Maybe a soulcaster made of atium? Kind of a conduit for charged spheres.

Where is the information about Hoid being a Feruchemist? I have seen a lot of people talking about it, but don't know where to look.

How do you breathe in Stormlight, exactly? That seems to be the crux of the issue, here.

Yeah, but then same could be said about Breath. I don't think we have any proof that Scadrian can either give or take Breaths from Nalthisians. Basically nobody would be able to use any other kind of Investiture without having SDNA from another planet which would make this info useless in practice. Either SDNA which allows one to accept one kind of Investiture is universal and allows accepting all of them or you'd have to do something special to achieve that but:

It is possible to fuel allomancy with breath (that's the example Brandon gave), or any of the other magics with other forms of investiture. Difficult, but possible.

We know Demoux could use Stormlight to see future but we don't know how he could do it.

In my opinion its more important if Misting would be able to "burn" Stormlight to use every allomantic ability.

Edited by 213

I think Aether makes a good point. I don't think this means anyone can any ability. Makes more sense to me that a coinshot could use possibly use stormlight or something else as a replacement for steel, but he would still be a coinshot

Edited by Demandred

Why are we assuming that every person with access to some form of Investiture would be able to even tap a Nicrosil metalmind?

If every person can use any Investiture to power their system, then it follows that they can use a nicrosilmind too, because it stores Investiture. If every person can't... then they can't really use Investiture to power every system, can they? If, for example, you need Nalthian sDNA to use Breath, then that's pretty useless when trying to use Breath to power Allomancy.

Hopefully it just requires specialized knowledge, and not like, Hemalurgically stealing someone else's sDNA to 'juryrig' things. Hoid is apparently able to figure out all the magic systems, though, which makes me suspect something is up that anyone can do if they just know where to look.

I also hope it doesn't require special Shardic intervention, like having to use atium Soulcasters. But I can't articulate why, except some vague notion of fairness.

I get that it would be possible to access it in the same way that a bit of tweaking would let Allomancers access Breath, but it sounded like people somehow assumed that a Nicrosil metalmind would be accessible much more easily. I am merely suggesting that, while it is able to hold Investiture, so will an Awakened piece of metal. I do not see how a Nicrosil-mind would be more effective at this.

Nicrosil metalmind I admittedly don't know much about it but, just because the metal can hold Investiture does not really mean the person would have the ability to store that investiture.

Hoid does claim to be fond of his storm light so maybe he is using it to power his magic and that is why he didn't want Kaladin to take it.

Edited by Arook

I get that it would be possible to access it in the same way that a bit of tweaking would let Allomancers access Breath, but it sounded like people somehow assumed that a Nicrosil metalmind would be accessible much more easily. I am merely suggesting that, while it is able to hold Investiture, so will an Awakened piece of metal. I do not see how a Nicrosil-mind would be more effective at this.

A nicrosilmind is more effective because it's so easy to fill, and it lasts forever without losing charge.

Hemalurgic decay bites you over time. Breaths are expensive and rare. Stormlight fizzles out, unless you're a Voidbringer. I haven't the slightest idea on how the Dor works as a power source for other systems. Burned metals are gone forever (until they are re-mined).

Feruchemically charged metal is forever, and when you can fill it with Investiture by spending a few hours getting it from your own body, well, it's pretty hard to argue with that. Plus, nicrosil can be recycled! It's environmentally and vegetarian friendly.

(The question is, can you really fill it by converting charges from other metalminds? The MAG seems to say you can.)

Edited by Moogle

It is useless on Scadrial if its not used by ferring. Perservation's investiture can be accessed only with Allomancy(burning metals) or Hemalurgically stolen Allomancy. Feruchemists can't burn metal. Feruchemical nicrosil would've been more useful on planets where Investiture can be accessed by Nicrosil Feruchemists. We didn't assume that using any Investiture lets you use any Magic System. It just allows you to fuel any Magic System you can use.

Although I think there's a chance for Mistings to use every single Allomantic ability if they accept investiture without burning metals. Not sure though just yet. Do Mistings sense/feel/etc metal they can't burn? If Breeze swallowed pewter would he magically sense/feel/etc it inside him? I remember something like that....

Edited by 213

This thread probably belongs in Cosmere Theories.

I also hope it doesn't require special Shardic intervention, like having to use atium Soulcasters. But I can't articulate why, except some vague notion of fairness.

Deus Ex Machina.

--

Hotwiring magic systems isn't easy. If he says it's difficult, I'm gonna guess it's not what the 17th sharders are doing (they seem like children playing with dad's guns compared to Hoid).