Orem Christmas B&N Signing

Zas678

Dude. Even with all the RAFOs, you still got more answers than anyone who doesn't make it a point to harass Brandon after an event. And if your kid can get a Nightblood answers like that, I am sorry, but you need to breed more :P

Ha! Now there's something to keep me busy until SA is complete.  ^_^

Seriously, though, thank you for saying this. I was rather discouraged about how the Q&A went - distracted by all the RAFOs and didn't process how much we had actually learned in those few minutes. 

Thank you! And thank you for the upvote! 

I've tried to replicate the symbol, but honestly I have not been able to. Isaac's drawing of it was so elegant and striking, and my attempts always look utterly clumsy and uneven. And the symmetry is one of the best parts of it! I cannot do it justice. But I can try to explain it so you have at least an idea of what it looks like.

Draw three diamonds side by side, elongated lengthwise, with the middle diamond touching the others at its side corners. They are lined up like latticework. Where the diamonds touch, erase just a little on opposite sides of the corners, so you have one long line (forming the top angle of the left diamond and the bottom angle of the one beside it) instead of four intersecting lines. The other line is interrupted where it would have crossed the long line.

Do the same to the other intersection, so that you have two continuous lines that are parallel to each other and two lines perpendicular to them that are missing little pieces where they would have touched the two long lines. The main lines remind me of two Zs turned at an angle. The diamonds are all mostly whole, minus those little gaps. No lines intersect.

Does that help, or am I making it worse?  :unsure:

Thanks! I think I can of imagine what it looks like. It sort of fits the three overlapping diamonds description from WoK, but now I'm wondering how it fits this description from WoR:

She pulled the card off the wall; it had been stuck in place with some weevilwax on the back. Inside was the triangle symbol of the Ghostbloods.

I just don't see how the symbol could look like a triangle. Is there perhaps a second Ghostblood symbol?

Edited by skaa

Okie doke, I've finished my first pass through the recording. It still needs to be proofed, but I don't know when I'll have time for that (so if anybody else wants to help out it would be much appreciated).

Is there any more to that last question, the one on methods of worldhopping?  (He was probably about to mention taking the long route through the Cognitive Realm, given the mention of WoR, but it'd be good to know for certain)

Thanks! I think I can of imagine what it looks like. It sort of fits the three overlapping diamonds description from WoK, but now I'm wondering how it fits this description from WoR:

I just don't see how the symbol could look like a triangle. Is there perhaps a second Ghostblood symbol?

Could the WoR description be a typo? Has Peter or Brandon said anything on the symbols?

Is there any more to that last question, the one on methods of worldhopping?  (He was probably about to mention taking the long route through the Cognitive Realm, given the mention of WoR, but it'd be good to know for certain)

Nope, if there was I would have transcribed it.

Help me out with the Vasher/Nightblood timeline answer. Warbreaker and Nightblood (the books) take place before the events of SA, right? So Vasher is on his (at the least) second trip to Roshar currently?

It's at least his second, correct.

I've clearly missed something. When was his first?

[01:48:30]

Questioner: I have a question about Nightblood.  I think I heard that--  Something you said in a Q&A that it is related to a Shardblade, or was a Shardblade?

Brandon: Yeah… So Nightblood.  Vasher visited Roshar, saw Shardblades, came back and tried to make one.  With what he knew of his magic.  That’s the short version of it.  Kind of simplifies things, but yes.

Thank you kind sir. I wonder when he visited, considering he's Returned. Was it before or after Aharietiam?

It would have had to be long after Aharietiam (Vo only Returned less than 1000 years before Warbreaker, and Aharietiam was 4,500 Rosharan years before WoK).  Whether or not it was after the Recreance is debatable.

It would have had to be long after Aharietiam (Vo only Returned less than 1000 years before Warbreaker, and Aharietiam was 4,500 Rosharan years before WoK).  Whether or not it was after the Recreance is debatable.

That's not necessarily true, unless we have confirmation that Warbreaker occurred no earlier than 3,500 Rosharan years before WoK. Though the likelihood is certainly high.

That's not necessarily true, unless we have confirmation that Warbreaker occurred no earlier than 3,500 Rosharan years before WoK. Though the likelihood is certainly high.

Warbreaker takes place between WoK and HoA, which is an interval of less than 340 years.

Maybe this is obvious to many already and I just missed it until now, but this quote was an "Aha!" moment for me.

Q: I’ve read that Hoid does have a Breath. Was he born with a Breath or-

Brandon: Hoid was not born on Nalthis. So no, he did not start with one. But the magic was much different when he started. He was before the Shattering of Adonalsium so things are weird regarding him.

There have been lots of discussions about how Hoid collects magic systems, such as how he became an allomancer when he apparently did not burn the Lerasium bead he took.

Now I realize that as a pre-shattering individual he already harbors a spiritweb connection to each of the Shards, since Adonalsium was made up of all 16. So potentially the threshold required for him to access the various magic systems is much lower than it would be for someone like Demoux who can worldhop but doesn't have a connection to the power of the worlds he visits.

Obviously that doesn't answer all the questions, but it makes some things clearer to me.

We don't know, except that she was one of the Originators. Presumably, one of the crew members or someone related to them. Vin's out as a candidate, because she's the Ascendant Warrior. That leaves Allrianne, Tindwyl and Beldre as possibilities.

Personally I think that it's not Allrianne. Considering that Lady Truth's only mention in the book (Shadows of Self) is from Wax's point of view, and he takes care to point out that Breeze is his ancestor on the previous line, my money's on Beldre.

Well, the originators were the people who came out of the caves and rebuilt mankind as leaders, so Tindwyl maybe not so much. I can't see the title Lady Truth really fit to Beldre or Allrianne, are there any other women who were kinda prominent in the series?

Thank you! And thank you for the upvote! 

I've tried to replicate the symbol, but honestly I have not been able to. Isaac's drawing of it was so elegant and striking, and my attempts always look utterly clumsy and uneven. And the symmetry is one of the best parts of it! I cannot do it justice. But I can try to explain it so you have at least an idea of what it looks like.

Draw three diamonds side by side, elongated lengthwise, with the middle diamond touching the others at its side corners. They are lined up like latticework. Where the diamonds touch, erase just a little on opposite sides of the corners, so you have one long line (forming the top angle of the left diamond and the bottom angle of the one beside it) instead of four intersecting lines. The other line is interrupted where it would have crossed the long line.

Do the same to the other intersection, so that you have two continuous lines that are parallel to each other and two lines perpendicular to them that are missing little pieces where they would have touched the two long lines. The main lines remind me of two Zs turned at an angle. The diamonds are all mostly whole, minus those little gaps. No lines intersect.

Does that help, or am I making it worse?  :unsure:

So, just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly, does it look anything like the image I attached?

post-6598-0-18952500-1450852305_thumb.pn

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of destroyed Investiture, Brandon is saying that Nightblood is actually reducing the overall amount of Investiture in the universe. Which breaks my mind in so many ways...

Brandon said just recently that he's not actually destroying it. Perhaps what Brandon meant is that Nightblood is reducing the amount of usable Investiture in the cosmere - I think it was yurisses who did the theory that corrupted Investiture does not return to the Shard?